Gary Teale In Tax Scandal

If an accountant could find a way for you to pay less tax what would your answer be ?

No thanks I want to pay as much as possible !

My take would be cool, but when your nearest and dearest can't get that life saving operation because tax revenues are below what they should be spare a thought for Gary Teale and the others nipping off down to the Bupa hospital... Fee no problem as they can use all that tax avoindance cash for their loved ones op!

He was advised that it was a perfectly legal scheme, if it's found not to be then he'll need to pay it back. Is it such a big deal?

I drive a commercial vehicle instead of a company car, I do this as it's tax beneficial. Until someone from HMRC tells me I can't do this I will continue to do so.

Wonder how many homers some of the moaners have this weekend...?

Edited by davidg

Some of the comments and comparisons are missing the point. These schemes are indeed legal but exist to encourage investment in the film industry. HMRC are only going after the schemes that are run to deliberately makes losses so as to offset against the investors tax liabilities. There a difference between a legitimate film investment scheme supporting film making and a film investment scheme that doesn't and only exists to make losses and save tax.

I disapprove of tax evasion, and I disapprove of tax avoidance.

That said, who gives two f**ks what I think.

By the same token, why should I give two f**ks about the fate of a few greed motivated, handsomely paid footballers who get rumbled for trying to avoid paying their fair share.

I'll say it again.... tough tittie!

How can hmrc retrospectively claim money for something which the only now deem illegal?

They can't. They have to prove it was always illegal. Agents and dubious tax advisors tell a lot of their clients it's legal. The honest people tell them they believe it to be legal but on your own head be it if it's deemed not to be. Trying to outfox the taxman never ceases but he wins in the end. He plugs the loopholes once he knows about them but those who used them aren't pursued unless the taxman thinks they were clearly illegal to begin with.

He was advised that it was a perfectly legal scheme, if it's found not to be then he'll need to pay it back. Is it such a big deal?

To clarify, it's not that it's found not to be legal. It will have been legal then, and remains so until the point HMRC decides it isn't. HMRC can change the rules.

It's equivalent to road authorities deciding that actually 60mph was the limit, and fining everyone who's been over that in the past five years.

(Just to clarify, I'm against excessive tax avoidance, but it's a massive grey area and wouldn't know where to draw the line. I'm not going to lie or be a hypocrite here: I've run a Ltd company in the past that consisted of just me and the Mrs, because it was financially beneficial to do so. We ended up a couple of grand better off.)

People need to understand no such thing.

Like I said above, using a legal getout isn't a defence.

This is a moral issue not a legal one.

As for the scheme in question? It has yet to be decided whether that was purely a tax avoidance vehicle.

If it was, then it's abuse - whether legal or not.

Assume you have no isa then?

People need to understand no such thing.

Like I said above, using a legal getout isn't a defence.

This is a moral issue not a legal one.

As for the scheme in question? It has yet to be decided whether that was purely a tax avoidance vehicle.

If it was, then it's abuse - whether legal or not.

Did you actually READ what I posted? I pointed out that the moral issue existed. But it IS a legal question, whether you like it or not

To clarify, it's not that it's found not to be legal. It will have been legal then, and remains so until the point HMRC decides it isn't. HMRC can change the rules.

It's equivalent to road authorities deciding that actually 60mph was the limit, and fining everyone who's been over that in the past five years.

(Just to clarify, I'm against excessive tax avoidance, but it's a massive grey area and wouldn't know where to draw the line. I'm not going to lie or be a hypocrite here: I've run a Ltd company in the past that consisted of just me and the Mrs, because it was financially beneficial to do so. We ended up a couple of grand better off.)

And there lies the big difference!

You are entitled to run a ltd company as long as you run it within the law. What these guys have done is knowingly invest in a scheme to offset their tax liabilities. The scheme was designed, yes designed to make HUGE losses so the participants could say,"see that money i never put in that scheme, well its been lost therefor i don't have to pay tax like everyone else as i lost money i never had"

My take would be cool, but when your nearest and dearest can't get that life saving operation because tax revenues are below what they should be spare a thought for Gary Teale and the others nipping off down to the Bupa hospital... Fee no problem as they can use all that tax avoindance cash for their loved ones op!

Maybe the government should not be so two faced then. Amazon , Starbucks are just two of many who get away with unimaginable figures of tax dodging. Goverment Minsters with offshore accounts these the people who make laws on me and you paying tax.

Don't see Teale as a big deal. if he loses he pay's.

Maybe the government should not be so two faced then. Amazon , Starbucks are just two of many who get away with unimaginable figures of tax dodging. Goverment Minsters with offshore accounts these the people who make laws on me and you paying tax.

Don't see Teale as a big deal. if he loses he pay's.

Teale! A big Deal? Think we need to get Real about the Steal inflicted on HM's royal Seal, so everyone can get the right Feel.

Some footballers (and other sports high earners) are that thick that they will not have a clue what their accountants / financial advisors are doing with their money. Others, when earning hundreds of thousands a year like most of those mentioned in relation to this investigation have a certain points in their careers, will not have a scooby about how much they have in what accounts. It's left to us mere plebs on normal working salaries to worry wbout such things.

If an accountant could find a way for you to pay less tax what would your answer be ?

No thanks I want to pay as much as possible !

My answer would be that I want to pay whatever tax I'm due to pay, taking into account the spirit of the law, rather than the letter or the law.