St Mirren V Ict Premiership 14/2/15

shull

Gary Teale - naw, he put McLear on at half time and positioned him on the right wing, then brings off McGinn, moves McLear inside and puts Sonupe on the wing, you are arguing with your own decisions here Gary and that shows your ineptitude as a manager.

Everyone i spoke to at half time and after the game agreed that Thompson and McGinn were the 2 who should have been first to come off.

Jim Goodwin showed how to score a goal from a header, the centre half made his efforts at heading a goal look like brilliant clearances.

Teale said Sadlier was fit but that he had better options on the bench.Christ Reilly and Wylde.

That's a bloody worrying statement - why sign a guy from the EPL if you are still going to put Thomas Reilly in the squad before him!! It beggars belief. I was also surprised McLear came on before Sanupe - nothing against McLear but give the new guys a chance FFS.

Yesterday was just baffling in so many ways - the most baffling think being our lack of a new centre half!

Rotten, just bloody rotten. The defence in the first half was shocking. No point analysing that though, Cheesy is safe.

Unfortunately this was obvious when we brought him back from QOTS who had decided he was not good enough for them. Then he is handed the role of vice captain ?. He constantly puts other defenders under pressure by passing to them when they are being marked, and he is more useful for the opposition when he gets a header from one of our corners. He is the worst of a very poor back four yet is constantly picked ( i dont include Tesselar in this as i believe he should be picked before McAusland)

Everybody knows why he gets a game but some will defend his ability because they know him personally or because he is a fan, he does have the odd game where he plays well and clears his lines, but these are too few and far between.

Unfortunately this was obvious when we brought him back from QOTS who had decided he was not good enough for them. Then he is handed the role of vice captain ?. He constantly puts other defenders under pressure by passing to them when they are being marked, and he is more useful for the opposition when he gets a header from one of our corners. He is the worst of a very poor back four yet is constantly picked ( i dont include Tesselar in this as i believe he should be picked before McAusland)

Everybody knows why he gets a game but some will defend his ability because they know him personally or because he is a fan, he does have the odd game where he plays well and clears his lines, but these are too few and far between.

It's always basics, you sit thinking "no, he can't be about to play it to the marked player again" or "no, don't just launch it" over and over. It's like noticing someone keep closing a spreadsheet without saving. He does make the occasional tackle, but he's supposed to. He's not meant to expose others, lose the ball or spend most the game chasing back.

It's always basics, you sit thinking "no, he can't be about to play it to the marked player again" or "no, don't just launch it" over and over. It's like noticing someone keep closing a spreadsheet without saving. He does make the occasional tackle, but he's supposed to. He's not meant to expose others, lose the ball or spend most the game chasing back.

If he could always launch it straight up the park and find one of our players occasionally then that would be no bad thing, unfortunately his launches quite often go straight up in the air.

We were playing against possibly the tallest and most powerful team in the league yesterday yet every time 1 of our centre halfs had the ball yesterday and had time to pick a pass they would just launch it up in the air to another Caley player for them to start another attack on us, it was f**king embarrassing.

We were playing against possibly the tallest and most powerful team in the league yesterday yet every time 1 of our centre halfs had the ball yesterday and had time to pick a pass they would just launch it up in the air to another Caley player for them to start another attack on us, it was f**king embarrassing.

Keep the high baws low

While ICT are a more than decent outfit, I don't think that explains the manner of our defeat. Something was missing from our play and players yesterday.

At the risk of being accused of overplaying this, I firmly believe that something was a certain Kenny McLean. When he was sold, I, with some others suggested that this would have a disastrous impact on our hopes of survival. Watching that performance yesterday sadly vindicates that assertion as far as I'm concerned.

We lacked creativity, a productive out-ball, composure, and a direct, cutting edge. All attributes and features that Kenny brought to the team in recent times.

It is absolutely no coincidence that we slumped to a truly dreadful low yesterday. I also don't think Teale knew how to set up his team with Kenny away. Arquin and Thompson up front was never going to work (though why Arquin was hooked instead of the anonymous Thompson is beyond me).

He swapped Dayton from right to left midway through the first half, and this was more out of straw clutching than strategy. Mallan was played deeper than Osbourne, or so it seemed to me.

I said at the time that losing McLean wasn't simply about losing our best player and top goal-scorer, it would have a huge impact in other ways. Team shape, cohesion, and overall approach. It is a rare thing, indeed, but on this occasion, I reckon I called it correctly (as did others).

Make no mistake, folks, we are knee-deep in the shite.

Edited by Drew

I'm not jumping on the defensive here because it's Cheesy but I think your being unfair on Marc and the rest of the back 4 here.

Yesterday he played his first 3 passes down the right hand channel only to be told by Teale to play it long which is what he did afterwards.

The first half in particular our entire outfield were hiding when we were in possession of the ball at the back. The worst offender was Dayton who always moved so there was an ICT player between him and the ball. Nobody wanted it, nobody was willing to come deep and take it off Goody and Cheesy.

Instead of instructing Marc to play it long he should have been instructing Mallan to come deep and take the ball from the CH'S.

We had a bunch of shite bags out there in the first half and I'm pretty sure Teales formation and tactics had a lot to do with it.

Edited by davidg

While ICT are a more than decent outfit, I don't think that explains the manner of our defeat. Something was missing from our play and players yesterday.

At the risk of being accused of overplaying this, I firmly believe that something was a certain Kenny McLean. When he was sold, I, with some others suggested that this would have a disastrous impact on our hopes of survival. Watching that performance yesterday sadly vindicates that assertion as far as I'm concerned.

We lacked creativity, a productive out-ball, composure, and a direct, cutting edge. All attributes and features that Kenny brought to the team in recent times.

It is absolutely no coincidence that we slumped to a truly dreadful low yesterday. I also don't think Teale knew how to set up his team with Kenny away. Arquin and Thompson up front was never going to work (though why Arquin was hooked instead of the anonymous Thompson is beyond me).

He swapped Dayton from right to left midway through the first half, and this was more out of straw clutching than strategy. Mallan was played deeper than Osbourne, or so it seemed to me.

I said at the time that losing McLean wasn't simply about losing our best player and top goal-scorer, it would have a huge impact in other ways. Team shape, cohesion, and overall approach. It is a rare thing, indeed, but on this occasion, I reckon I called it correctly (as did others).

We are going to have this problem for the rest of the season I'm afraid, Thompson will start up top on his own even although he is done as Teale won't want to upset his mate and drop him, Teale use to be 1 of the boys remember, that's the problem at our club, it's all too matey matey, clean slate needed at the end of the season.

I don't think Thompson should be ashamed. Sadly, I think we are witnessing what has been a very good player run out of gas due to age, injury, and being in a team pretty much getting raped every home game. I reckon Thommo' is trying alright, but the body isn't willing.

This. I honestly think the big man will call it quits at the end of the season.

Teale got his starting line up totally wrong and spent the next 70 minutes trying to rectify it..

He had 5 different players have a go at the wide right position, McGinn was wandering around

like a lost puppy, you could see the look on his face of where the f**k am I meant to be playing,

at one point he was even up front with Thommo who btw should have been pulled instead of

Arquin. a complete clusterf**k of wrong decision's... I could go on and on...

The gulf between the sides was so wide I bet even Yogi Hughes got embarrassed...

Also, and I never thought I'd say this about him having seen him for a few seasons - we also missed McLean's dig and fight. In many recent games before we sold him, McLean was not only our main (only?) real goal threat, he was also the one with a bit of fire in his belly. It reminded me of Broadfoot's performances after signing his pre-contract with the dead club. Yesterday, the only player who didn't shuffle around staring at their shoes was Goodwin, and even then, the one time he became really animated was when he showed displeasure at Snoopy letting a ball slip out for an ICT goal kick.

Missing McLean's dig and fight? Boy, we really are in the shite.

As I have commented elsewhere I am very supportive of GT and the improvements he has made since he came in. Maybe that is why yesterday was such a huge disappointment as I reckon Gary made mistakes all over the place.

Tess is the best central defender we have and should be getting a game there every week. And if not there he is the best left back we have. To have him on the bench was a mistake.

But the biggest mistake was the formation just to suit Thommo. The players have never played a 4-4-2 all season but tried it out against NYC and it did not work. To repeat it yesterday was a grave error of judgement. Thommo's current level of fitness suggests to me that he gets the last 20 mins of any game to bust a gut with Arquin starting in a 4-2-3-1 formation which the players are used to and with which we have had some recent success.

The other huge error of judgement was not even having Sadlier on the bench and the reasons given. The guys on the bench yesterday have proven that they cannnot influence a game and some have proven that they are simply not good enough. So is GT admitting an error of judgement in signing Sadlier when he could not make the bench or does he honestly think that players like Reilly and Wylde have something to offer?

I reckon both Arquin and Sadlier would be really pissed off yesterday. I know I would be in their shoes.

I stated in an earlier comment that Goodwin was out best player yesterday. Also thought that Osborne wasn't far behind. Rant over :)

Teams of our size/budget should start from making sure we get the basics right i.e marking/tackling/bsaic shape, and players knowing their role inside out.Any smaller club up her like Inverness start from the back,make themselves hard to beat and go from there.Sadly over the past few years we never seem to have managed that.

If Sadlier couldn't get a place on the bench ahead of Reilly and Wylde, then he must have picked up a knock in training, or in the NYC game. Surely.

Not according to the manager.

"Kieran, like Eman, came from under-20 football down south. I just felt as if Emann offers us that bit of injection off the bench just now. Kieran will be involved sooner rather than later, he’s got qualities as well but I just felt there were other boys who could go and do a job for us coming off the bench.”

It beggars belief, if he thinks that Wylde and Reilly actually "do a job for us" when they come off the bench.

Why do we seem scared to tackle ?

Absolute crap today.

Kelly & Naismith got ripped to shreds all day , Big Jason looks constantly knackered.

Would the person who has taken John McGinn & replaced him with the guy we are watching please return him asap!

Two up front today was never gonna work.

Midfield was men against boys

Thommo ? Lack of match practice or have the legs given up ?

Also, thommo should not have the captains armband, he looked uninterested . How can a man who seems unable to motivate himself be expected to motivate those around him ?

Thommo's body language was not great all day. Even before kick off there was wee groups doing warm up drills etc and he stood on his own doing keepie uppies, surely as Captain and most experienced superstar he should be involved in talking to the youngsters, telling the midfielders where he wants the ball etc or even just discussing with Arquin what they should be trying to work together etc. Still think he can get better with match sharpness (if he wants to), just not sure we can afford to continue to give him time.

I hope his sharpness comes real quick.

I felt sorry for Snoopy. He's standing on the touchline about to come on with the score 0-1, then we part like the red sea and they roll it home for 0-2. Kid comes on just as we implode and heads go down. He never stood a chance.

I feel that way about all the kids who we've nurtured for years, who have effectively been thrown to the wolves this season by poor managers and senior players with poor disciplinary records.

Thommo's body language was not great all day. Even before kick off there was wee groups doing warm up drills etc and he stood on his own doing keepie uppies, surely as Captain and most experienced superstar he should be involved in talking to the youngsters, telling the midfielders where he wants the ball etc or even just discussing with Arquin what they should be trying to work together etc. Still think he can get better with match sharpness (if he wants to), just not sure we can afford to continue to give him time.

I hope his sharpness comes real quick.

I maybe totally wrong here but when the BOD appointed GT, is there a possibility that Thommo was/is peeved at not being offered the gig? There is no way Gary is more experienced plus Thommo is a very good and intelligent speaker.

Inverness had drawn 1 league game and won 5 since the start of January and beat Thistle in the cup as well. In their last 8 games against SPL opponents they have won 7 and drawn 1, it is hardly a surprise they beat us today or played us off the park. Teale was guilty of being naive and wanting a first home win and starting with 2 strikers. It didn't work and he changed things at half time and we remained in with a chance of taking something from the game up until the final whistle.

Yes I agree Teale should have taken one of the strikers off sonner. Thompson should have been the striker taken off he is not up to the job at this time. It worries me Teale is scared to drop Thonpson or change him given.his stature at the club. I'm trying to remember when was the last time I was excited about going to the football out with the cup final. Honestly can't remember it's been that long. Edited by Isle Of Bute Saint

I maybe totally wrong here but when the BOD appointed GT, is there a possibility that Thommo was/is peeved at not being offered the gig? There is no way Gary is more experienced plus Thommo is a very good and intelligent speaker.

He may well be, but he needs to get over it asap for the sake of the club he loves so much. They are certainly different characters but I don't know enough of what goes on behind the scenes to know why Teale was chosen but Thommo wasn't.

It is ringing a bell that Teale was helping manage one of the younger teams last season, I don't remember hearing that about Thommo, things like that can be a big difference.

Thommo is one of the boys, he was never getting he gig. You're right though, his appetite appears to have gone. I mentioned this when he was going for the hernia operation. Apparently this could have easily held off until a quieter period of the season like March where we have 2 games.