The Appreciation Thread

I have an open mind about whether Murray will be a good appointment. I'm hoping he will but I have not been carried away by the wave of enthusiasm which mostly greeted his appointment. I believe you managed to pick out all the results over the season where you can make a case for Dumbarton competing with Hearts, Hibs and Rangers. Last year Dumbarton conceded 3 or more goals in 19 of their 39 matches, including to Stranraer in the cup.

Aggregate scores over the season: Rangers 14 - Dumbarton 3 (over 5 games); Hearts 14 - Dumbarton 2 (over 4 games); Hibs 14 - Dumbarton 6 (over 5 games). So let's write those off since it was a part time club against full time teams with budgets in the top 5 of Scottish football to play with.

Queen of the South 9 - Dumbarton 1

Falkirk 7 - Dumbarton 5

Raith Rovers 8 - Dumbarton 6

Livingston 6 - Dumbarton 6

Alloa 4 - Dumbarton 5

Cowdenbeath 6 - Dumbarton 4

Where Dumbarton got their points: 1 win and 1 draw against Cowdenbeath (4 out of 12), 3 wins against Alloa (9 out of 12), 3 wins against Livingston (9 out of 12), 1 draw and 1 win against Raith Rovers (4 out of 12), 2 draws and 1 win against Falkirk (5 out of 12), 1 draw against Queen of the South (1 out of 12), zero points against Rangers, 1 point against Hibs, 1 point against Hearts.

Negatives... September was the only full month of the season where Dumbarton didn't concede 3 or more goals in 1 game, and as late as April Alloa (post- Sir Danny Lennon taking over) and Cowdenbeath both stuck 3 by them without reply.

Positives... Dumbarton generally did well in crunch games against their main rivals to avoid relegation. Over half their points for the season came in wins in 6 pointers against Alloa (pre- Sir Danny Lennon taking over) and Livingston. They were also even-stevens with Falkirk in their encounters.

Points gained is more important than goals conceded which will only really matter if it comes a team's final position comes down to GD, and who the points were gained irrelevant compared to overall position.

I have no knowledge of how Dumbarton have played under Murray but I assume (from your posts) that he has gone for an aggressive strategy and suffered a few heavy defeats along the way (a bit like ourselves under Hendrie). To repeat myself I think St. Mirren should always go for an up&comer and I think Murray is an excellent choice - his target next season will be a play-off spot rather than survival and I feel sure that with a club like St. Mirren he will modify his strategy & tactics.

Edited by Bud the Baker

BTW unless you are somehow suggesting Ian will sign the entire Dumbarton team, be handed their budget and use their training facilities, I have no idea what the hell you going on about here TBH.

Seriously where exactly are you going with this open mind of yours?

Away and enjoy the summer break. You clearly seem to need soothing.

This is a done deal. We have Ian as our manager.

Smarter men than you have decided he's capable.

Almost everyone on here is positive.

What's your position?

Are you going to relax and let the man show what he can do?

Or are you going to spend the next 3 months whining about how worried you are?

I'm quite happy to relax now and see what happens once we start playing league games under Murray. The point of my previous posts about Dumbarton's performance last season was to question the received wisdom that Murray has worked wonders, one David sharing a league with 9 Goliaths, and to ask how good has he been in the league, in the transfer market, developing young players, and most importantly have we got someone who can take us forward, build a team and hopefully get us back in the SPL within a few seasons.

I've already said that it is positive Murray is an outside appointment and a young up and coming manager. It's a positive that he knows the strengths and weaknesses of most of the squads we'll face next year and has helped a part time team stay in the league with 5th and 7th placed finishes in his 2 seasons in charge. If I've laboured talking about their defence last year it's because most St Mirren fans didn't rate Mair or DVZ highly at this stage of their careers and Murray signed them both and their defensive record deteriorated (albeit in a stronger league).

Whoever was taking over at St Mirren was going to need rebuild the squad on an even tighter budget and be shrewd in the transfer market. Whoever was taking over at St Mirren was also going to have to start making us hard to beat in a league where Queen of the South, Falkirk, Raith Rovers, and Morton will all fancy their chances of beating us along with 2 from the following 3: Motherwell / Rangers / Hibs. Whoever was taking over at St Mirren was going to need to rely on a young squad and identify 3 or 4 seasoned pros to guide them through a tough season.

Murray will be inheriting a full time squad, good facilities, a bigger budget than he has had to make do with at Dumbarton, and with over half the squad out of contract next month he has plenty of scope to shape his own squad next season. I have no doubt that his record at Dumbarton suggests that with the extra advantages he'll have at St Mirren he should have us competing among the play off places next year despite it being another very competitive Championship.

Aye, but what about the strips? whistling.gif

There are grown men pishing their breeks over its non-appearance.

I will be honest I don't know much about the fans council , who is on it, how many is in it.

I heard they are an organization between fans and the board.

Certainly I support anyone who is working for the good of St Mirren.

SMISA in my mind is an organization that should be between the fans and the board. After all this is where fans money is raised for the good of the club.

Can anyone explain why the fans council is not a greater part of SMISA or maybe it is and I don't know.

The fans council ran the open day bar in the car park of the stadium. Was there a profit made if so where did the profit go.

Really would like to know what the fans council is all about

I will be honest I don't know much about the fans council , who is on it, how many is in it.I heard they are an organization between fans and the board.Certainly I support anyone who is working for the good of St Mirren.SMISA in my mind is an organization that should be between the fans and the board. After all this is where fans money is raised for the good of the club.Can anyone explain why the fans council is not a greater part of SMISA or maybe it is and I don't know.The fans council ran the open day bar in the car park of the stadium. Was there a profit made if so where did the profit go.Really would like to know what the fans council is all about

You make it sound like the Fan Council are Mossad! My understanding is that they meet once a month in a secret bunker, the location of which is only known by cryptic clues placed in forum posts which only Fan Council members know how to spot. Apparently they are harder to decipher than the Nazi Enigma machine Monday, 8pm. Wee Barrel snug, wear a red carnation, secret password is 'Paeslack' and only those in the know can spot them. Funds raised by the Fan Council illegal activities go to underground guerrilla movements like the ultra-secret group 'Nosferatu'. Innocent events like golf days are merely a cover for their drug smuggling, prostitution rings, and cannabis farms - you think that airdome is for five a sides? Wednesday, 7pm Robertson Car Park, wear a pink rose, secret password is 'Gunni' as an aside, their funny handshake is a cracker.

You make it sound like the Fan Council are Mossad! My understanding is that they meet once a month in a secret bunker, the location of which is only known by cryptic clues placed in forum posts which only Fan Council members know how to spot. Apparently they are harder to decipher than the Nazi Enigma machine Monday, 8pm. Wee Barrel snug, wear a red carnation, secret password is 'Paeslack' and only those in the know can spot them. Funds raised by the Fan Council illegal activities go to underground guerrilla movements like the ultra-secret group 'Nosferatu'. Innocent events like golf days are merely a cover for their drug smuggling, prostitution rings, and cannabis farms - you think that airdome is for five a sides? Wednesday, 7pm Robertson Car Park, wear a pink rose, secret password is 'Gunni' as an aside, their funny handshake is a cracker.

Actually started laughing out loud at that, brilliant.

After the season we've had, you are now actually going to watch the Eurovision Song Contest?

Things are now starting to fall into place!

Oh aye.. Quiet night in, beers and a takeaway, compete with Mrs Poz to pick the top 3. Sweden, Lithuania and Australia winning my votes so far... 15 down, 12 to go!

Good humour Poz and you have good taste in beer.

Probably sound too critical though I did write I'm all for anyone doing good by St Mirren.

Just don't understand why we need a fans council when we could be under one roof with a strange voice that being SMISA. Maybe someone can explain why the fans council is a separate organization after all that's why SMISA was formed to help the club and bring the fans closer to the club ?

Probably sound too critical though I did write I'm all for anyone doing good by St Mirren.

Just don't understand why we need a fans council when we could be under one roof with a strange voice that being SMISA. Maybe someone can explain why the fans council is a separate organization after all that's why SMISA was formed to help the club and bring the fans closer to the club ?

Bloody splitters

I believe either the SPFL or SFA wanted better relationships between clubs and fans and wanted them to either employ a fans' officer or create a group. And as the latter costs nothing... SMISA is meant to be independent of the club, that's what the I stands for.

Anyway, seems Teale doesn't appreciate Murray - well, the timing of the announcement: http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11095/9862231/gary-teale-questions-timing-of-st-mirren-managerial-announcement

I can see his point, however it was a totally meaningless game so was hardly doing a great deal of harm.

I believe either the SPFL or SFA wanted better relationships between clubs and fans and wanted them to either employ a fans' officer or create a group. And as the latter costs nothing... SMISA is meant to be independent of the club, that's what the I stands for.

Anyway, seems Teale doesn't appreciate Murray - well, the timing of the announcement: http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11095/9862231/gary-teale-questions-timing-of-st-mirren-managerial-announcement

I can see his point, however it was a totally meaningless game so was hardly doing a great deal of harm.

So, the odds on Ian Murray having his chat with Gary on Monday and keeping him as his assistant are.....

Cheers Stu that makes sense regarding fans council.

Teale that's a hard one , certainly seems to have a spring in his step working with youth. It will all come down to that conversation on Sunday or Monday.

Thompson and Goodwin also wonder what the outcome will be there.

One thing it's going to be an interesting closed season