John Mcginn - Out Of Contract, Away, Farewell, Jacks Grandson Thread.

I think he was offered a deal, but rejected it. He was always going to leave this summer.

If true one can only imagine the penny pinching deal on the table... However if true he was 'always going to leave' why didn't they sell him last summer fir £300k and get something back?

The answer is the continued lack of fore thought, investment and getting a return on investments, any board outside of football would have been made to walk by shareholders with a track record such as ours have on ROI.

If true one can only imagine the penny pinching deal on the table... However if true he was 'always going to leave' why didn't they sell him last summer fir £300k and get something back?

The answer is the continued lack of fore thought, investment and getting a return on investments, any board outside of football would have been made to walk by shareholders with a track record such as ours have on ROI.

So assuming someone would have paid £300K for him last summer (which I doubt), we knew we were pretty much guaranteed £150K-£200K once his contract was up so why sell him for an extra £100K or so? He had been our POTY that season so it was worth getting another season out of him especially since Mclean was expected to leave. He turned out to have a poor season but not many would have predicted that.

Some people are never happy.

Please tell us which club offered £300k last summer so we can all be as angry at the board as you are.

Edited by Gosport Buddie

Please tell us which club offered £300k last summer so we can all be as angry at the board as you are.

Its called pro- active selling. What most agents do to get their client a better deal.... Press statements like "well if someone offered us 300k we would have to take THAT seriously" or the classic "we don't want to sell him.... But he isn't going cheap!'

Its called pro- active selling. What most agents do to get their client a better deal.... Press statements like "well if someone offered us 300k we would have to take THAT seriously" or the classic "we don't want to sell him.... But he isn't going cheap!'

It's not upto a players agent to decide if a club want to sell the player or not or what offer they would accept. You are talking absolute nonsense lol.gif .

I'm pretty sure either Sheffield Utd or Rotherham offered something close to that. That's not far off the development fee the board probably thought they were due at end of season. Hasn't quite turned out that way.

I'm pretty sure either Sheffield Utd or Rotherham offered something close to that. That's not far off the development fee the board probably thought they were due at end of season. Hasn't quite turned out that way.

There you go Gosport Bud. Thanks to Kevo_smfc.

The only bid I recall being confirmed was around £100K from a club dahn saaf.

Some you win, most we lose. That's the way of it, but I would be happy just to see an end to this now.

ETA - I was much more concerned about the manner in which we lost McLean (and, critically, the timing).

Edited by Drew

It will turn out like that. We will receive a development fee, the USA talk is pure nonsense unless he decides to drop to a level below MLS in the US.

When we knocked back Shefeild United I think it was first bid it was around 70k mark!

They then came back at about 100k mark!

Both bids were outrageous and we would be due twice as much in a development fee!

Johns form dropped and then Thommo speared him!

Then he gets to the end of the season and before he answer's the clubs offer he contacts a lawyer and sues!

I would love to get something for McGinn now but the board were right to not accept the offer!

Had there been a bid similar to McCleans to the sheep he'd have been gone!

I think he should have given us an answer before contacting a lawyer!

Another point would be how much have St.Mirren spent on John's career in wages bonuses and appearances over the year's??

If he goes to the USA it reeks of Jamie Fullarton to me!!!

When we knocked back Shefeild United I think it was first bid it was around 70k mark!

Both bids were outrageous and we would be due twice as much in a development fee!

Then he gets to the end of the season and before he answer's the clubs offer he contacts a lawyer and sues!

I would love to get something for McGinn now but the board were right to not accept the offer!

Another point would be how much have St.Mirren spent on John's career in wages bonuses and appearances over the year's??

If the bids last year were as you have mentioned, then i agree it was the better thing to do, knocking back something below the value of at least his development fee. My estimate was a rough ball park guess, though i remember a couple of bids were knocked back. I just can't believe, being a close friend of McLean's why he never seeked advice and seen a similar opportunity of securing his future then moving on if he stayed. He/his agent has possibly thought that teams were going to be queuing up this summer for him.

There you go Gosport Bud. Thanks to Kevo_smfc.

Poor Lord Look At Me, another post which see's him slip further into oblivion although it is amusing.

Not sure if this has been posted already. The boy has made the nationals!

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2015/jul/23/houston-dynamo-john-mcginn-mls

Hmm.

Refers to the development fee situation, but doesn't examine this from the perspective of the club losing out due to what strikes me as an anomaly in the regulations.

Here's hoping the Utd deal comes to fruition.