This Seasons Captain

Everything. It's got absolutely everything to do with it, he defended badly, made a mistake, his hand ended up in the place his body should have been and instead of clearing it with his body, did so with his elbow. The fact that you don't seem to grasp that slightly worries me and makes me wonder why I'm even bothering to debate it.

It is good to read that you are finally acknowledging that the ball hit his elbow. However you are wrong when you said he "cleared it with his body, did so with his elbow." Did he "deliberately move his elbow into the direction of the ball"? I don't think he did. If he did then Colin Cameron has been clever but at no point did his hand and fingers move towards the ball. Anyway, it's good to see that a thread about the captaincy has been "hijacked" by people with an agenda...

Edited by iTony

Did he put his hand on post to handball the ball?? No

I don't care whether he put his hand on the post to stop the ball or not. He had deliberately put his hand in that position - why, I don't know: maybe it was because he was knackered and wanted to stop himself falling over - and his arm prevented the ball crossing the line. A penalty should have been awarded.

It seems that everyone is out of step but 17/03/13!

I don't care whether he put his hand on the post to stop the ball or not. He had deliberately put his hand in that position - why, I don't know: maybe it was because he was knackered and wanted to stop himself falling over - and his arm prevented the ball crossing the line. A penalty should have been awarded.

It seems that everyone is out of step but 17/03/13!

So every time a ball hits a hand/arm, its a penalty?? Good grief

It shouldn't matter whether it's on goal line or half way line, it needs to be deliberate

Edited by 17/03/13

It shouldn't matter whether it's on goal line or half way line, it needs to be deliberate

I get the feeling you are wasting your time with people on here who do not seem to understand the game...

Cameron knew by keeping his arm there he was covering more area of the goal to stop it going in. He had enough time to try to mave his head towards the ball and made no attempt to move his arm away from the ball.

Why was his arm there to keep him balanced while he tried to header it ? Lol

Did he put his hand on post to handball the ball?? No

Did he put his hand on the post and move an arm's length away from the same post to make the area he covered bigger? I'd say yes, and as the explanation says, this undoubtedly makes it a penalty and possible/probable red card.

... and who decides if it is deliberate? In a split second? The referee. Assuming the referees in yesterday's game and the LC semi saw both incidents, one referee deemed Jim Goodwin's act to be deliberate handball and a penalty, but not a red card, and yesterday's ref deemed Colin Cameron's act to be nothing at all.

On another day, another referee would see the same incident, give a penalty AND send Cameron off.

Dice it up any way you like, at the end of the day it just comes down to opinions as to 'deliberate'. Our opinion, Cameron's opinion, the referee's opinion. In my opinion, it was a clear case of handball on the line and Cameron should have been shot at dawn for denying the 'washed up and finished' Thommo' a goal.

Edited by pozbaird

Did he put his hand on the post and move an arm's length away from the same post to make the area he covered bigger? I'd say yes, and as the explanation says, this undoubtedly makes it a penalty and possible/probable red card.

Still not deliberate

Check out the following explanation given by referees association as guidance for referees on "intent" and you should change your mind.

Regarding handball they now ask the referee to consider the proximity of the potential offender to the person last playing the ball, the speed of the ball and importantly whether the offender's arms are in a natural or unnatural position.

So the question of intent is now, did the offender deliberately place his arms in an unnatural position to increase the chances of the ball hitting him?

If the answer to that is yes then it is correct to penalise that player even though it used to be argued that was ball to hand.

Poz, read the middle paragraph again Edited by 17/03/13

Since when was it only deliberate hand balls that merit a penalty? If a goal bound shot or header strikes any player (other than the goalie's) hand then it's a penalty!

Not if you're holding onto the post, it's a new rule.

Back on topic...

Thommo is captain, and that won't change. He's prime captain material. I don't think he should be starting every game, however (it's just not fair on him if we have to rely on him all the time). Still, he's club captain and that's all there is to it.

Poz, read the middle paragraph again

I don't like to see insults thrown about but I have to agree with the above posters. You have indeed made an arse of yourself here. Your celebrating about "being right" as you didn't receive an answer after 5 minutes was particularly amusing!

To answer your middle paragraph, the answer is yes. Cameron is putting his arm in a place that will keep the ball out of the net if he can't get his head to it....which he didn't.

We might as well be having an argument about whether Thompson's first goal cross the line or not. Anyone got a slow motion video of that?

For me... a "natural position" is missionary, but I don't like it.

Naaaahhhh...

"a natural position" is arms by side when standing and arms leading a jump by being in air.

"Arms on post" is not "natural".

Hands up all those who currently have their hands on a post!

It is seeking to gain an advantage, which happened in this case.

Should have been a penalty but I would not have liked to see a defender sent off for that.

Since when was it only deliberate hand balls that merit a penalty? If a goal bound shot or header strikes any player (other than the goalie's) hand then it's a penalty!

Not according to the rule book it isn't.

The position of the ball is irrelevant if it hits the hand. It isn't any more or less of a foul if it's in the centre circle or the goal line.

Incidentally I thought it was a penalty.

For the attn of 17/03/13:

Former Premier League referee David Elleray said the referee's interpretation depends on whether the hand or arm is in an "unnatural" position at the point of contact.

_41117044_elleray203.jpg
Referees often consult their assistants on decisions

"Referees look at two specifics - did the hand or arm go towards the ball or in a manner which would block the ball, or is the hand in a position where it would not normally be?" Elleray told BBC Sport.

"The challenging decisions are if the defending player spreads their arms to make themselves bigger.

"If the ball hits the arm then the referee must decide whether this action was to deliberately block the ball or whether the player has raised their arms to protect themselves - especially if the ball is hit at speed."

For the first bit , YES ,IT IS .

For the second bit , why else was his arm there , certainly NOT to protect himself.

Cameron was using all the experience he had to gain an advantage.