Aberdeen .

Jamie Langfield.

DONS TERMINATE LANGFIELD’S CONTRACT

ABERDEEN FC have confirmed that veteran goalkeeper Jamie Langfield has left Pittodrie after his contract was terminated.

Langfield hadn’t featured for the first team this season and was third in the pecking order of keepers, behind Danny Ward and Scott Brown.

The 36-year-old is now expected to join Championship side St Mirren as a player and goalkeeping coach.

Langfield said “I have loved my time at the club and have spent the best period of my career here.

“However, I still have much that I want to achieve and am looking for an opportunity to continue to play regular first team football.

“I also want to look at the option of combining playing with coaching going forward as I see this as a long-term option for me.”

Aberdeen FC manager Derek McInnes added: “Jamie has been brilliant to work with and his desire to keep playing first team football is admirable and understandable.

“On behalf of everyone at the club I would like to thank Jamie for his tremendous service over the years and wish him all the very best for the future wherever that takes him.”

We need another keeper, preferably one with coaching badges. Langfield ticks both boxes.

We will NEVER realistically reach a consensus on here as to what constitutes a good signing, given that we are unlikely to be in the market for Messi and Ronaldo any time soon. Marmite players will be our level, and folk better get used to that.

If people choose to get excited over this potential signing, why piss on their chips?

We need another keeper, preferably one with coaching badges. Langfield ticks both boxes.

We will NEVER realistically reach a consensus on here as to what constitutes a good signing, given that we are unlikely to be in the market for Messi and Ronaldo any time soon. Marmite players will be our level, and folk better get used to that.

If people choose to get excited over this potential signing, why piss on their chips?

The point though is more about the position of the player and the fact that he may not even be a starter.

Fans are excited by strikers, forwards, creative midfielders, possibly even a centre half. Doesn't matter if they turn out to be shit, folk will at least be excited to see if they turn out to be exciting on the pitch.

I'm excited to see Gallagher, McMullan & Agnew on Saturday.

There is absolutely nothing to get excited about by signing Langfield!

Btw - this is no criticism of Langfield himself. I think its a decent signing.

Can I just ask a question as to why some people on here appear to be excited by the prospect of Jamie Langfield signing for us?

I'm always excited by new arrivals at the club.

I can't see why anyone would be downbeat about us signing a new goalkeeper/coach who has just completed 10 years at one of the biggest clubs in the country.

Not really sure what market people expect us to be shopping in to be honest!

The point though is more about the position of the player and the fact that he may not even be a starter.

Fans are excited by strikers, forwards, creative midfielders, possibly even a centre half. Doesn't matter if they turn out to be shit, folk will at least be excited to see if they turn out to be exciting on the pitch.

I'm excited to see Gallagher, McMullan & Agnew on Saturday.

There is absolutely nothing to get excited about by signing Langfield!

Btw - this is no criticism of Langfield himself. I think its a decent signing.

Oh there will be excitement, but not the dry knicker type.... And the excitement may be heightened for opposition fans? Hopefully Aberdeen haven't sent his registration papers through the "Near" post...

http://www.talkingbaws.com/2015/08/11/a-tribute-to-clangfield-jamie-langfield-released-by-aberdeen-after-10-years/

I'm not excited by Langfield signing as some of the fans at the much bigger club he just left think he isn't great.

The reality is we are a championship team who just had a horrendous season and got relegated without showing any fight.

What standard of player do you think St Mirren are able to attract at the present moment ?

I'm not excited by Langfield's signing.

However, I'm happy that if he signs, we've got an experienced player, who has more than enough in his locker to cope with the championship, and can use his experience to coach our younger 'keepers.

The reality is we are a championship team who just had a horrendous season and got relegated without showing any fight.

What standard of player do you think St Mirren are able to attract at the present moment ?

I wasn't being serious.

I'm always excited by new arrivals at the club.

I can't see why anyone would be downbeat about us signing a new goalkeeper/coach who has just completed 10 years at one of the biggest clubs in the country.

Not really sure what market people expect us to be shopping in to be honest!

Not being excited does not equal being downbeat.

You can be nonplussed.

Despite having never heard of him until this summer, I am excited by the prospect of signing Shankland.

Signing attackers is exciting.

Signing back up keepers isn't. :P

Edited by nosferatu