Return Of The Ginger Ninja?

Lord Pityme

I would hope the manager would play his best players, so if either Samson or Langfield signed, I would expect them to be first choice. Signing someone who is more experienced but isn't as good as Ridgers, so the lad can develop is a noble idea but Murrays no 1 priority is to win games and that starts with getting the best players we can afford.

I would hope the manager would play his best players, so if either Samson or Langfield signed, I would expect them to be first choice. Signing someone who is more experienced but isn't as good as Ridgers, so the lad can develop is a noble idea but Murrays no 1 priority is to win games and that starts with getting the best players we can afford.

I agree, but it sounds like he has faith in Ridgers as St Mirren's number 1, and just wants another keeper to offer some guidance and serve as reliable back up. In that case I wouldn't think it's likely we'd take Samson or Langfield, pay them a large wage, and have them on the bench. Wouldn't make sense to me

Rodgers is not good enough..very rarely make s quality save..

Ridgers makes quality saves quite regularly, in actual fact. His problems are dealing with crosses and his catching. His shot stopping is quite good.

It's amazing how quickly people build up opinions of players, resulting in them totally forgetting real hard evidence from games.

Samson was a decent keeper for us, no more than that. He was usually fairly solid but was also prone to howlers, good shot stopper usually but I don't think he commanded the penalty box enough. He's probably on a par with langfield.

I remember a certain save against Stevenson, at Hampden that helped win us a cup!

Ridgers makes quality saves quite regularly, in actual fact. His problems are dealing with crosses and his catching. His shot stopping is quite good.

It's amazing how quickly people build up opinions of players, resulting in them totally forgetting real hard evidence from games.

not once have I ever saw Ridgers make a save and said "that was some save" he is very poor all-round....

not once have I ever saw Ridgers make a save and said "that was some save" he is very poor all-round....

This is very unfair to him. I can't remember the specifics, but last season there was a save at his front post that he did fantastically to get down to. There was another strike from the edge of the box that he managed to make a great save low at his left post. He certainly does have faults; his command of his area is virtually nonexistent and his kicking is erratic, of example. However, "poor all round" is pretty untrue.

I would guess that both Langfield and Samson are waiting to see if they will get better offers from other clubs, however this could prove dangerous, simply because if no other better offers are forthcoming then perhaps it will lead to the ball being in St.Mirrens hands and with 1 contract on offer and taking into account Ian Murrays words at the Q&A night that contract would go to Langfield as his best goalkeeping years are past him and he would appear to be the best candidate for a coaching role.

I think he's considerably better than Ridgers actually. Not a spectacular shot stopper, but by far the most reliable keeper we've had in the 20 years I've been watching St Mirren.

Agreed. He played week in week out in our two most successful seasons in the last twenty five years. He did it in the top flight and in the big cup games. Definitely the best keeper I've seen play for us and would be delighted to get him back.

Seriously? I like Samson but Hinchcliffe and Ludo were both far better and more reliable.

Yeah, I agree that Ludo was a great keeper for us too, but for me, he's 2nd behind Samson. I always felt that we were a bit more secure with him in goals. Hinchcliffe made unbelievable saves at times, but wasn't so great with cross balls.