Steven Thompson Legend Simple

ok, i see the usual mixed posts, i have to be honest it wasn't his best game for st.Mirren and i agree he mabe is a bit off the pace than the last few seasons

but no doubt about it every seasoned pro has misses like that even k miller admitted that

that doesn't make him a bad player or mean he doesn't give 100%

but no way will i slate him he gives everything and this will no doubt be his swansong this season and im sure he will (on that TEAM showing) play his part this season

but what i will add is that some of those young lads came of age tonight

the 3-1 score line was not a true reflection on how the game went and as for the criticism that mark ridgers gets is absolutely shoking

he is still very young and has no coach to guide him but he had some nervy moments yes but made some good saves also

i am very happy with the way we played and there are a few gems in our team now as to previous season

i for 1 am very optimistic about this season and still believe as i said b4 2nd place can be ours and the lads proved that for me 2night

what were we realisticly looking for this season? to win it out right?

i think if we can sign 1 goalkeeper/coach and 1 more striker and possibly a centre half then we will be ok

carswell looks like a find aswell infact there are many decent players in our team now

i for 1 are happy for some strange reason :D

Legend? Yes, of course he is but he is done.

IMO he shouldn't have been offered a deal,said it plenty of times in here.

He should have left in the summer but I think he wanted to make up for last season's disaster.

I agree.

Like you, I wasn't convinced that he should have been offered another deal. A clear out should have meant a clear out. Perhaps he is a good character to have around the club. Gallagher spoke of the significance of Thompson being at the club in terms of his decision to come. Make of that what you will.

None of us want to see Thompson fading away. It would be very sad, but the club is bigger than any player, however charismatic. Tough decisions have be made....

Edited by Drew

No room for loyalty or sentiment in football. He's done his bit and we should thank him and remember the good times but it's time to look elsewhere for the good of the club.

david i understand where u are coming from but i just cant write him off after 1 game m8

he was actually doing ok i thought aswell as defending he was decent in the air but after the miss hit and then the penalty (to b fair he was the penalty taker and the captain as to take the burden on himself) he must be beating him self up more 2night more than any of us lot would and im certain he will be more determined than ever

surely he will be judged this season at the end rather than after the first game.

some supporters on here have short memory's only after the wed's game people were saying on here we were gonna get humped

the only players that were below par for me were Thompson and conlon the others came of age

gave them time lads come on

I don't think Thompson is being singled out. Conlan was shit too.

the point here is that thommo was a cracking player who now looks a shadow of his former self. As for conlan - no idea what he's doing and worryingly enough he doesn't look as though he knows either.

Nah, not fair to write Thommo' off. Against (all due respect), Alloa, Dumbarton, Raith, Livvy, Morton... The big man might just be the hero. A lone role at Sevco Central Park was not the place for him. Can see why Murray went with it mind you, and as our most experienced character he was there to turn to when a penalty arrived in the cauldron... Sadly he fluffed his lines.

Thommo' didn't want to bow out on the low of last season's shit-fest. He deserves the chance to go out on a better note. My money is on him contributing. Getting it right up the 'Ton... Somewhere, sometime this season, Sir Thommo of Handsomeness is going to make up for tonight's penalty horror.

Bookmark this.

Nah, not fair to write Thommo' off. Against (all due respect), Alloa, Dumbarton, Raith, Livvy, Morton... The big man might just be the hero. A lone role at Sevco Central Park was not the place for him. Can see why Murray went with it mind you, and as our most experienced character he was there to turn to when a penalty arrived in the cauldron... Sadly he fluffed his lines.

Thommo' didn't want to bow out on the low of last season's shit-fest. He deserves the chance to go out on a better note. My money is on him contributing. Getting it right up the 'Ton... Somewhere, sometime this season, Sir Thommo of Handsomeness is going to make up for tonight's penalty horror.

Bookmark this.

this ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I'm a bit disappointed that Thompson has taken that penalty tonight. He never looked confident, penalty taking isn't his strength.

I still think he will have something to offer this season against lesser opposition, but he has to be honest with himself and the team and realise he is not the same player he once was.

No room for loyalty or sentiment in football. He's done his bit and we should thank him and remember the good times but it's time to look elsewhere for the good of the club.

I disagree - loyalty to club legends brings fans and club together and adds something special to the relationship.

Unlike some of the cretins who played for us last season, he's taken a pay cut to try and make amends - I respect that and would rather have someone who cares about the club than a nobody journeyman.

I see promotion as a 2 year job and Thommo can help on the pitch in the first year.

Surely he has a bit of credit in the bank?

Love the guy to bits but I've said it for long enough now, running the channels himself, especially against a team as fast and fit as Rangers was never going to end well, not at his age and the fact that he hasn't really done so as effectively for the past year and a bit now.. He's going to be a big player this season, he's going to chip in with 10-12 goals hopefully, but his place now is unfortunately starting against the so-called 'lesser lights' of the division and being used from the bench when we need him to make an impact in other games.

Still think Thompson has a lot to offer and will get goals in the division, but he is a terrible penalty taker. Never been confident when he steps up to take them.

He scored his last 3 (4?) in a row - why wouldn't he take this one?

He didn't take one for almost 4 seasons after his last miss so it's not like vanity plays any part - he was nominated, he took it, he missed. Shit happens. Doubt he'll take another.

On tonight's performance, and most of last season, the party is well and truly over. (Yeah, I know, "injured" but surely a player with his supposed experience and intelligence should have been honest and stood up and said I'm not ready,that's another story)

Not a great role, up front on his own, for a player whose legs have gone, f**k knows where they've gone as they weren't joined to his body tonight.

There's obviously 2 sides to this "debate" based on his previous and his recent form.

No doubt he's been a breath of fresh air for us, and a massive part of our cup winning team so deserved some credit for that, but he's been given that on numerous occasions so enough.

He's a passenger and will, in my opinion, rarely contribute much this season.

There could be the odd game we are pummeling some shit team but, on the whole, I doubt we can afford to play him from the start in many "big" games. Coming on late might, although I'm not even sure that's a great option, could pay some dividends.

Time will tell.

On tonight's performance, and most of last season, the party is well and truly over. (Yeah, I know, "injured" but surely a player with his supposed experience and intelligence should have been honest and stood up and said I'm not ready,that's another story)

Not a great role, up front on his own, for a player whose legs have gone, f**k knows where they've gone as they weren't joined to his body tonight.

There's obviously 2 sides to this "debate" based on his previous and his recent form.

No doubt he's been a breath of fresh air for us, and a massive part of our cup winning team so deserved some credit for that, but he's been given that on numerous occasions so enough.

He's a passenger and will, in my opinion, rarely contribute much this season.

There could be the odd game we are pummeling some shit team but, on the whole, I doubt we can afford to play him from the start in many "big" games. Coming on late might, although I'm not even sure that's a great option, could pay some dividends.

Time will tell.

so your giving up on him after 1 game?

showing ur fickle side m8 as with many st.mirren fans

all i am saying is be realistic

its 1 game ffs

Far too many knicker-wetters as per usual.

He didn't have his best game and he missed a penalty. This doesn't mean he is done.

The answer is use his strengths and don't ask him to do everything. With this in mind to judge him as lone striker in this particular game is beyond me.

Sentimentality has nothing to do with anything above. He was asked to do a thankless task tonight as our only other real option was a young kid who was signed this week. Put things into context before getting the knives out.

In summary - one bad game doesn't mean he's done and some will be eating their words when he proves them wrong.

Edited by Bart Simpson

Unbelievable I knew this would happen. Who is better. Got no service all game. Ok he missed a penalty. Would the views and comments be the same if he scored it

Calm down I think even Thompson himself would admit he cannot perform the lone striker role effective at his age , he either needs a second striker or he can still play a part as an impact sub . I don't see many other 36 year old lone strikers do you ....