Not Anymore For Me Thanks

We were the top goalscorers in Britain for the first few months of DL's 3rd season in charge... and people were calling for his head before Christmas! (Looks like DL blew the chance to win the SPL that year).

Top scorers in Britain for the first few months of the 12/13 season?

Seen a good few whoppers on here recently but that takes the cake :lol:

Edited by TopCat

Of course, the period since the club has been on sale has been the most successful in our modern history.

Don't let the facts get in the way of your ranting though.

Bloody hell. Way to make me feel old TC. Here was I thinking I was modern, living modern history and having witnessed 1977-1990 that it would be modern history. But I guess you are right. In many ways Ferguson, Clunie, McFarlane, Miller, Smith and Fitzpatrick must all be ancient history.

Just out of interest though - what constitutes as modern history? Is it just the last 17 years? You know, the period where the only board to measure it against is the current one?

Bloody hell. Way to make me feel old TC. Here was I thinking I was modern, living modern history and having witnessed 1977-1990 that it would be modern history. But I guess you are right. In many ways Ferguson, Clunie, McFarlane, Miller, Smith and Fitzpatrick must all be ancient history.

Just out of interest though - what constitutes as modern history? Is it just the last 17 years? You know, the period where the only board to measure it against is the current one?

I would say modern history in a football context would be the last 25 years or so. Quarter of a century, a generation, since the pass back rule changed.

And the period between 2009 and 2014 was, indisputably and by however measure, the clubs most successful since the late 80's. Coincidentally or not, 2009 is when the club went up for sale.

Hence my amusement when we get the ' Clubs lost direction since it went up for sale ' spiel. The club has achieved almost unprecedented success since it went up for sale!

Edited by TopCat

I would say modern history in a football context would be the last 25 years or so. Quarter of a century, a generation, since the pass back rule changed.

And the period between 2009 and 2014 was, indisputably and by however measure, the clubs most successful since the late 80's. Coincidentally or not, 2009 is when the club went up for sale.

Hence my amusement when we get the ' Clubs lost direction since it went up for sale ' spiel. The club has achieved almost unprecedented success since it went up for sale!

Still couldnt brake into the top 6 after 9 years lol

The last five years might have been the 'most successful' in your short time supporting Saints, but it doesn't compare with the period from 1976 to 1987. Scottish Cup, Anglo Scottish, first Division champions, regular top half finishers in the league, and forays into Europe. That's success by SMFC standards.

The last five years might have been the 'most successful' in your short time supporting Saints, but it doesn't compare with the period from 1976 to 1987. Scottish Cup, Anglo Scottish, first Division champions, regular top half finishers in the league, and forays into Europe. That's success by SMFC standards.

If you regard 25 years as a 'short time', fair enough, certainly doesn't feel short!

The period you speak of was a period of success in league terms unseen before or since in the clubs history. Unsurprisingly, it coincided with the appointment of the greatest manager in the history of football and ended once his affect had worn off.

Before Fergie came we were in the bottom half of the second tier getting sub 1000 gates and regularly finishing below the likes of Arbroath and Stirling Albion. Within 20 years of his departure, we were back there.

I often think that fans that grew up watching us in the 80's have higher expectations than the fans who grew up in the 60's, 70's or 90's. I suppose its natural for them to assume that where we were in the 80's was our natural position, it wasn't and it isn't.

I also think it's worth pointing out that we have made more major cup finals since the club went up for sale than we did in the 46 years that preceded 2009 combined. Not bad eh?

If you regard 25 years as a 'short time', fair enough, certainly doesn't feel short!

The period you speak of was a period of success in league terms unseen before or since in the clubs history. Unsurprisingly, it coincided with the appointment of the greatest manager in the history of football and ended once his affect had worn off.

Before Fergie came we were in the bottom half of the second tier getting sub 1000 gates and regularly finishing below the likes of Arbroath and Stirling Albion. Within 20 years of his departure, we were back there.

I often think that fans that grew up watching us in the 80's have higher expectations than the fans who grew up in the 60's, 70's or 90's. I suppose its natural for them to assume that where we were in the 80's was our natural position, it wasn't and it isn't.

I also think it's worth pointing out that we have made more major cup finals since the club went up for sale than we did in the 46 years that preceded 2009 combined. Not bad eh?

A lot of fans were moaning back then as well

Top half of the league

Good Cup runs especially the Scottish

Great players,entertaining fitba,far better atmosphere in the ground

But the home crowd numbers wise bar the Fergie years was the same as now

Also it was a lot cheaper back then as well

The period you speak of was a period of success in league terms unseen before or since in the clubs history.

The period from 1921 to 1934 saw the club finish in the top ten 11 times and finish in the top six 7 times. The club also won the Scottish Cup during this period plus reach the final on one other occasion along with 2 more semi final appearances.

I also think it's worth pointing out that we have made more major cup finals since the club went up for sale than we did in the 46 years that preceded 2009 combined. Not bad eh?[/quote

I started watching the Saints in the early 60's. My expectations haven't changed. I want us to win more than we lose, especially at home. I want us to get to the later rounds in the cups, and hopefully a final or two. The odd foray into Europe would be welcome. What I DONT expect is to see the club lose regularly to inferior opposition which, unfortunately, we've had to endure during a number of periods, including now.

As for cup finals, the only reason we didn't get to more in the 80's was the cheating cnuts in authority wanted that club who used to play at Ibrox to get through.

Do all young guys believe history only started when they were born??? 1eye.gif

The period from 1921 to 1934 saw the club finish in the top ten 11 times and finish in the top six 7 times. The club also won the Scottish Cup during this period plus reach the final on one other occasion along with 2 more semi final appearances.

That's not as good as we were in the 80's though... ?

Maybe it is living outside Scotland and not getting to as many games as I like but I couldn't not support the club. Like others I'm not happy looking at fixtures and hoping we can win this game or that game and trying to work out which ones I'll travel up for but like others have said it is the roller coaster ride that is supporting St Mirren that makes the good times so special. They are my home town club been supporting them for 44 years (despite dad supporting the dead club) and other than oblivion I can't see a reason not to, having said that I fully understand the frustrations of fellow buds suffering week in week out.

St Mirren are a fair sized club by Scottish standards, success should be finishing in the top 6, getting in to Europe, competing to win the cups (getting to the last 8 at least).

An average season would probably be what we have been doing for the past decade, fighting relegation from the top league and finishing between 9th and 11th.

Getting pumped at home by the likes of Dumbarton and put out the cup in the first round by Livingston is not success....it is a complete f**king disgrace. Sadly those who supported the team in the 90s know that once the rot sets in you can spend a very long time struggling to beat the likes of Stirling Albion and Cowdenbeath (no offence to those clubs) and get stuck in this league.

That said, all those having meltdowns and claiming to chuck it now will be the first sprinting down to buy tickets if we manage to do a Falkirk and fluke our way to a cup final...

Its football, there are ups and downs, even Celtic and Aberdeen can look forward to a slide some time soon. I just really hope Ian Murray can make sure this down period does not last long!