Saturday's Weather Forecast. Here We Go Again?

div

We have known for 1 week that we will catch the tail end of the storm that brought parts of USA to a standstill last weekend but we don't yet know how much snow will fall in Scotland as a result of this.

So my post doesn't get seen as an attack on St Mirren FC I think we should we should change a few rules nationally. Since we know that our winters can be bad but unpredictable and we play a lot of games from November to February why can't we say the SPFL can cancel up to 2 matchdays per season at a few days notice on weeks when forecasts for extreme weather are being made and when we have already experienced some of those forecasts coming true by the Wednesday / Thursday.

It would mean we would avoid lots of clubs paying to switch on undersoil heating for days and games being cancelled at the last minute. Div reported the club had lost over £3k in undersoil heating and stewarding costs when the Raith game was cancelled, Raith would have had costs in coming through, and I am guessing around 2.5- 3k fans lost a lot more money than both clubs combined in travel costs, food and drink inside the stadium, programmes etc for a game postponed 5 minutes before kick off.

Dumbarton's game was postponed the night before they were due to play, we had 2 pitch inspections on the morning and afternoon of the Raith game... maybe there should be an early warning system that if a game 10 miles away is already off and you've organised pitch inspections and the weather is also not looking good in the area around the ground then it's announced at lunchtime it is 50/50 whether the game goes ahead?

If the SPFL have the power to say all games are off when heavy snowfall, low temperatures, and storms and floods are forecast they should build in a few weeks from March to May to play postponed games on a Saturday and have a fund to pay clubs if like us, they have 2 home games in a row postponed on extreme weather weekends.

This way, clubs are spared losing thousands on wasted undersoil heating, hospitality, catering, stewarding and policing costs and fans are spared late cancellations and their costs and everyone gets a decent amount of warning.

We have known for 1 week that we will catch the tail end of the storm that brought parts of USA to a standstill last weekend but we don't yet know how much snow will fall in Scotland as a result of this.

So my post doesn't get seen as an attack on St Mirren FC I think we should we should change a few rules nationally. Since we know that our winters can be bad but unpredictable and we play a lot of games from November to February why can't we say the SPFL can cancel up to 2 matchdays per season at a few days notice on weeks when forecasts for extreme weather are being made and when we have already experienced some of those forecasts coming true by the Wednesday / Thursday.

It would mean we would avoid lots of clubs paying to switch on undersoil heating for days and games being cancelled at the last minute. Div reported the club had lost over £3k in undersoil heating and stewarding costs when the Raith game was cancelled, Raith would have had costs in coming through, and I am guessing around 2.5- 3k fans lost a lot more money than both clubs combined in travel costs, food and drink inside the stadium, programmes etc for a game postponed 5 minutes before kick off.

Dumbarton's game was postponed the night before they were due to play, we had 2 pitch inspections on the morning and afternoon of the Raith game... maybe there should be an early warning system that if a game 10 miles away is already off and you've organised pitch inspections and the weather is also not looking good in the area around the ground then it's announced at lunchtime it is 50/50 whether the game goes ahead?

If the SPFL have the power to say all games are off when heavy snowfall, low temperatures, and storms and floods are forecast they should build in a few weeks from March to May to play postponed games on a Saturday and have a fund to pay clubs if like us, they have 2 home games in a row postponed on extreme weather weekends.

This way, clubs are spared losing thousands on wasted undersoil heating, hospitality, catering, stewarding and policing costs and fans are spared late cancellations and their costs and everyone gets a decent amount of warning.

Sensible idea. Shame the SFPL is run by the same morons that run the clubs.

SUMMER FOOTBALL

ALL THOSE IN FAVOUR SAY--- YEAH

"summer football" would run from January to December with games at the start and end of the season at risk of postponement.

You could have opening day games called off, do or die games on the last day, play off called off, the Scottish Cup final played in freezing weather.

Summer football will never ever happen in Scotland.

Never. Ever.

Tomorrow's weather (and today's) is nothing to do with the storm that brought snow to the USA. That system brought us wet but mild weather earlier this week. The forecast for tomorrow for Paisley bar wind isn't that severe. 4c isn't particularly cold for January and it doesn't look like there will be much settling snow at the low level Paisley lies at. It's January in Scotland, we play in it every year. I am an advocate of more summer football but while we have the season we do, tomorrow doesn't look to be the worst of day's. I think as we all get older we just get softer. Wrap up well and if it's on get to the game, the fresh air will do us all good.

Tomorrow's weather (and today's) is nothing to do with the storm that brought snow to the USA. That system brought us wet but mild weather earlier this week. The forecast for tomorrow for Paisley bar wind isn't that severe. 4c isn't particularly cold for January and it doesn't look like there will be much settling snow at the low level Paisley lies at. It's January in Scotland, we play in it every year. I am an advocate of more summer football but while we have the season we do, tomorrow doesn't look to be the worst of day's. I think as we all get older we just get softer. Wrap up well and if it's on get to the game, the fresh air will do us all good.

Thanks for correcting my meteorological inaccuracies in my earlier post. The point I was making was that on Tuesday the BBC news ran this story with forecasts for the week ahead: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-highlands-islands-35399894 gale force winds and flooding, lorries and vans being blown over on the motorways, bridges being shut due to the stormy weather, buildings being blown down in the wind, people being injured by debris from buildings as per Thursday and Friday's news; http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-highlands-islands-35427984. It's the kind of week where it is not going to be a surprise if a number of games are off because the weather, and at most grounds 1 or 2 stands are going to be freezing for fans sitting in all seater grounds and getting gale force winds in their face as well as heavy rain and maybe sleet and snow. The bad weather has been the top news story for most of the week and is set to continue into tomorrow and all I'm suggesting is that if the league actually planned for having a few weeks spare to allow for postponing games early in bad weather weeks in winter it would save a lot of uncertainty with pitch inspections being held, and often the early inspections end up being redone later by different referees and can also become worthless if bad weather continues or worsens after an early inspection has said the game is on and the pitch is fine at 11am.

Edited by Dibbles old paperboy

I am happy to attend matches in the winter. Cold, rain, snow do not bother me. Wasting a precious Saturday being pissed about is what bothers me. Call a game off or play it in spite of the weather. Just do not tell me it's on then cancel it :)

At St.mirren park right now it's not snowing. There is a light covering of snow but absolutely nothing like two weeks ago. Most games will be on

If they kick off right now .

What happens when the blizzard happens shortly ?

At St.mirren park right now it's not snowing. There is a light covering of snow but absolutely nothing like two weeks ago. Most games will be on

ive just left my work in Paisley. It's fecking freezing, been snowing and it's freezing over. Roads are very dangerous, common sense would see game called off right now...only a fecking halfwit would want to watch a game in that weather...

It's not going to. snow.

You heard it here first.

The extreme westerly wind should give us a 10 goal lead in the first half followed by the eye of the storm taking 45 minutes to pass over during the second half.

Have we moved the goals and now playing across the pitch...... :P

Was dropping Mrs Dibble at work today. Car was lightly covered in snow in Inchinnan at 7.30 but the ground was so wet from all the rain that there wasn't much lying. Braehead had more snow lying, reasonable covering at the Southern General as well. Headed to the new house in Paisley - no snow lying in Millarston, drove by St Mirren Park on the way back to Inchinnan and there was a thin layer there.

Two weeks ago it hadn't started snowing at this point in the day, but there had been temperatures down to -10 on the Friday night and Saturday stayed below zero with snow forecast. Last night and today are milder, I think we may see the snow and the sleet and some rain during the day and I don't think there would be enough to call the game off unlike 2 weeks ago where it was freezing and there were several heavy snow showers on the day and conditions where the snow would start to lie quite quickly.

Snowing in Inchinnan as we speak.

Edited by Dibbles old paperboy

Was dropping Mrs Dibble at work today. Car was lightly covered in snow in Inchinnan at 7.30 but the ground was so wet from all the rain that there wasn't much lying. Braehead had more snow lying, reasonable covering at the Southern General as well. Headed to the new house in Paisley - no snow lying in Millarston, drove by St Mirren Park on the way back to Inchinnan and there was a thin layer there.

Two weeks ago it hadn't started snowing at this point in the day, but there had been temperatures down to -10 on the Friday night and Saturday stayed below zero with snow forecast. Last night and today are milder, I think we may see the snow and the sleet and some rain during the day and I don't think there would be enough to call the game off unlike 2 weeks ago where it was freezing and there were several heavy snow showers on the day and conditions where the snow would start to lie quite quickly.

Snowing in Inchinnan as we speak.

Thank you, Sean Batty.

Get the Match Off, it's freezing.

I think the white stuff on the ground was due to several very heavy hail showers through the night and early morning?

This allowed the slightest of sleet/snow to lie.

Games in no danger of being off for snow today.

Edited by davidg