Non Seat Allocated Season Tickets

My tuppence worth. The reason for purchasing a season ticket is I can have my chosen view. If it was a free for all I would not bother buying one as I don't attend all home games.

If it was free for all, I would never miss a game and neither would shull. whistling.gif

Where I sit (near the back of W3) there are empty seats amongst the ST holders. The guy next to me regularly comes with his son who is not a season ticket holder and they can sit together. I have several times brought a small group of people along and we sat elsewhere (W4) so we could all sit together. With the number of empty seats there is not a problem sitting elsewhere with friends. This is a non-story.

The only thing that would encourage me to give up my seat would be if I ended up sitting next to some arrogant loudmouth who thinks they know it all. Then I would gladly move. But the folk I sit with are all brand new and we have some great banter at matches. :)

Don't see the fuss. We never have a big enough crowd to fill the stand, but when people are spread all over the place it really does ruin the atmosphere.

Having a non allocated stand would definitely be a positive in terms of atmosphere. Even if it's only 1 or 2 sections.

All for it. Good idea for a thread Dave!

The only thing that would encourage me to give up my seat would be if I ended up sitting next to some arrogant loudmouth who thinks they know it all. Then I would gladly move. But the folk I sit with are all brand new and we have some great banter at matches. smile.png

What, like some of our forum members.

The big problem with this is the constant administration of the process. People would want guaranteed seats for stumping up for 6 games in advance and that way madness lies. This forum would be filled with people moaning about not getting the seats the wanted, who they were sitting beside or not sitting beside, games postponed and then rescheduled for a date they couldn't make. No wonder the CEO turned it down.

If there are only 200 or so punters in the South stand, and most games about 3,000 total in an 8,000 plus capacity stadium, I don't see why a 'short term' ST should be unworkable. I believe a lot of clubs, including rugby clubs do such deals.

Just my opinion, but the reason it didn't happen is the same reason the last three HoF inductees still don't have their board added to the stadium collection of boards years after they were inducted, and now an additional three months after someone did the artwork for them.

Any word on the GLS / SMiSA bid? The whole place needs a shot of adrenaline straight to the heart in a Pulp Fiction style.

Am not saying for it to be non allocated in all four stands but trying it in one stand ie West Stand. Any season ticket holder or pay on the day supporter who want allocated seats could have that in the Main or South stand. I can see possible financial gains of encouraging people to get along to the stadium earlier. With Rangers leaving our division this season we will be effected financially.

I would be all for us testing it next season

Am not saying for it to be non allocated in all four stands but trying it in one stand ie West Stand. Any season ticket holder or pay on the day supporter who want allocated seats could have that in the Main or South stand. I can see possible financial gains of encouraging people to get along to the stadium earlier. With Rangers leaving our division this season we will be effected financially.

I would be all for us testing it next season

How about testing it in the Main Stand?

If the club announced they were going to make the entire West Stand non-allocated safe standing like the Bundesliga, I'd be happy to change my ST to the Main stand, indeed, if such a thing happened, I'd give the new standing area a go too. Pish down the back of the guy in front's legs, sneak a can of cheap lager in under my flares, and give dug's abuse to the visiting fans in the first two safe standing areas of the stand.

Atmosphere. Lager. Abuse. Pish down yer' legs. Boosh - job's a good un'.

Err' the macc-a-roon bars an' ra' speer-mint choo-ing gumm!

Is it not a legal requirement of the safety certificate that all tickets are seat specific?

No - if you read up on the Green Guide which is the legislation the Scottish Government follows the only stipulation regarding seat reservation is as follows

Unreserved seat sales Selling unreserved seats, whether by cash or ticket, has the advantage of being easier to administer. However, spectators are prone to occupy seats in a random pattern, and, as stated above, it can be hard to fill unoccupied seats in the key period before the start of the event. For this reason, when seats are sold unreserved, a reduction in the number of seats made available for sale is likely to be necessary. This reduction may be in the region of 5–10 per cent of the total capacity of the section, according to local circumstances.

When you consider the requirement for segregation that 5% - 10% should be covered quite easily even in the event of a complete sell out.

Where I sit (near the back of W3) there are empty seats amongst the ST holders. The guy next to me regularly comes with his son who is not a season ticket holder and they can sit together. I have several times brought a small group of people along and we sat elsewhere (W4) so we could all sit together. With the number of empty seats there is not a problem sitting elsewhere with friends. This is a non-story.

The only thing that would encourage me to give up my seat would be if I ended up sitting next to some arrogant loudmouth who thinks they know it all. Then I would gladly move. But the folk I sit with are all brand new and we have some great banter at matches. smile.png

The reason there is empty seats around you? bye1.gif

Have only ever been in West Stand on a couple of occasions.

Last time was with my son and found a few empty seats close to the front behind a couple of girls. If you could call them that.

The language that was coming out of their mouths towards the players and that was our own players.

I had a membership for Newcastle before all seater stadia which allowed access to a specific area and worked because there was no seating, I also used to have season ticket for Sunderland (the things you do when you can't get home regularly) and got sick of the bloke two rows behind me who coached the players from 200 feet away so I can see the attraction when there are a group of friends sitting together. StuD's point about Sunderland moving their fans is a bit spurious as they moved the away fans high into the premier concourse to give home fans all the lower level seats right round the ground.

I've taken a back seat in this thread so far as I have repeatedly made my feelings known, but do not see the point in beating people over the head with it.

Responding to some of the points raised though...

I reckon that even with unreserved seating, almost all current st holders would still be able to sit on the seat they currently prefer... Or at worst a neighbouring one.

Want to roll up at 2.55pm and get your favourite seat? Ask a neighbour to keep it for you.

The benefits, as I see them, are that incentives to bring along new people would be much more manageable.

Groups of friends could sit together and expand that group.

Those are the two main benefits that would make it worthwhile trying out IMHO.

Benefits of still buying a season ticket?

Discount.

No need to queue on match day for a ticket.

ST holders draw at every home match.

Deal with other clubs for reduced admission at away games (although I'd like to see that opened to all fans and reciprocated).

I honestly haven't seen a single counter argument that would not be easily overcome.

If the ultimate aim is to increase our own home support and avoid giving additional space to away fans, surely it is worth experimenting with?

Away fans in Motherwell and Falkirk are free to choose their seat on the day, and I have neen in packed stands on these ocassions with no problems whatsoever.

It can work.

Don't see the fuss. We never have a big enough crowd to fill the stand, but when people are spread all over the place it really does ruin the atmosphere.

Having a non allocated stand would definitely be a positive in terms of atmosphere. Even if it's only 1 or 2 sections.

All for it. Good idea for a thread Dave!

Here's an alternative idea to solve that problem. Close the south stand completely and move the folk in that into the other stands. You could have the section of the west bank specifically kept aside for the Panda Club folk and leave the away fans, no matter how few, in the stand behind the goal. With the west bank only for home fans they can use all the food kiosks etc, all the Saints fans are together and you still only have three stands open with no extra cost. Also means if we get situations where an away team wants extra tickets we can give them another stand without fuss.

I appreciate it goes against the romantic notion of fans behind the goals roaring the team to victory and it will annoy fans who like watching games from behind the goal but it's surely worth considering.

Here's an alternative idea to solve that problem. Close the south stand completely and move the folk in that into the other stands. You could have the section of the west bank specifically kept aside for the Panda Club folk and leave the away fans, no matter how few, in the stand behind the goal. With the west bank only for home fans they can use all the food kiosks etc, all the Saints fans are together and you still only have three stands open with no extra cost. Also means if we get situations where an away team wants extra tickets we can give them another stand without fuss.

I appreciate it goes against the romantic notion of fans behind the goals roaring the team to victory and it will annoy fans who like watching games from behind the goal but it's surely worth considering.

Is that not defeatist?.

You are basically resigning yourself to ever dwindling crowds.

I don't believe it has to be that way and part of the reason for my suggestion is to provide for growth.

The big problem with this is the constant administration of the process. People would want guaranteed seats for stumping up for 6 games in advance and that way madness lies. This forum would be filled with people moaning about not getting the seats the wanted, who they were sitting beside or not sitting beside, games postponed and then rescheduled for a date they couldn't make. No wonder the CEO turned it down.

Nope - it was never intended to be seat specific.

Want to roll up at 2.55pm and get your favourite seat? Ask a neighbour to keep it for you.

Don't want to roll up at 2.55pm, but sometimes coming from Cumbernauld, if the Sevco franchise are at home, all it takes is one wee bump or breakdown on the M8 and a 2.55pm arrival at FeegieField can and does happen. Play golf on a Saturday before heading to the game and a 2.55pm arrival at FeegieField can happen. Winter weather and snow in Cumbernauld for winter games and a 2.55pm arrival at FeegieField can happen.

Ask a neighbour to keep it for me? So, what if it's my turn to get there early to 'grab' six seats and I get stuck in the Charing X underpass because some muppets shunted each other?

We're all swapping texts, calling each other, 'what time are you going to be there today' - you grab the seats, I'm running late.... blah, blah.

No thanks Brian.

Don't want to roll up at 2.55pm, but sometimes coming from Cumbernauld, if the Sevco franchise are at home, all it takes is one wee bump or breakdown on the M8 and a 2.55pm arrival at FeegieField can and does happen. Play golf on a Saturday before heading to the game and a 2.55pm arrival at FeegieField can happen. Winter weather and snow in Cumbernauld for winter games and a 2.55pm arrival at FeegieField can happen.

Ask a neighbour to keep it for me? So, what if it's my turn to get there early to 'grab' six seats and I get stuck in the Charing X underpass because some muppets shunted each other?

We're all swapping texts, calling each other, 'what time are you going to be there today' - you grab the seats, I'm running late.... blah, blah.

No thanks Brian.

^^^^^ Could be a TV comedy.

Frank Spencer as Poz.

Wait, that widnae work, Frank Spencer was funny.

Edited by faraway saint

Fine, as long as the West Stand becomes a " No Swearing " area.

Just like most of our ST holders, when the new stadium opened I picked my specific seat (in the West Stand) for two reasons -

1. to guarantee always being beside my mates.

2. to guarantee always being far away from some cocks I would prefer to avoid.

If I wasn't guaranteed having my own regular seat I probably wouldn't bother to renew the ST every year.

Just like most of our ST holders, when the new stadium opened I picked my specific seat (in the West Stand) for two reasons -

1. to guarantee always being beside my mates.

2. to guarantee always being far away from some cocks I would prefer to avoid.

If I wasn't guaranteed having my own regular seat I probably wouldn't bother to renew the ST every year.

The second point is moot as a cock could easily buy a ticket nearby.

Re the first point, I honestly don't see how having a ticket that gets you priority entrance into a stand of your choice would in any way stop you sitting with your mates.