Halfway Through His Managerial Reign At St Mirren How Do You Think Jack Ross Is Doing?

5 minutes ago, renfrew said:

Does that also include Tony who seem to be getting a easy ride but has done nothing but talk shite since his appointment ? So yes the chairman did play a blinder when he f**ked up with that appointment :huh:

I know you have personal issues with our CEO but I don't hold him responsible for our current predicament. Tony was appointed by the old board a few managers ago when Ian Murray was in charge and maybe just after Spalding left as assistant to be replaced by Alex Miller. 

The main thing which has reflected badly on our CEO was voting to fire a manager he had gushingly given very public backing to a few days earlier after a 1-1 away draw at Dumbarton - the kind of result that in hindsight looks magnificent after 5 league defeats in a row and 1 goal scored in just under 8 hours.

On Wednesday, November 02, 2016 at 11:05 PM, Dibbles old paperboy said:

Jack has been in post for one month now. Going by previous appointments he might not be halfway through his tenure after 4 weeks in the job, maybe more like one sixth of his time.

So far I think he has handled interviews well, the tea showed signs of improvement against Dundee United but results have not been good and the last 2 performances have been poor. I'm finding some of his team selections hard to fathom as well, such as dropping most of our goal scorers.

Can Jack survive if we lose to Dumbarton? ;-) Can we stick by him if after 6 league games his points tally pales next to Alex Rae's 3 points from 6 league matches.

So are you suggesting we replace another management team . I can't agree with that this is not a team built by Jack Ross. If we go down then we need to stick by our manager Jack Ross needs time to build his own team that will take more than one season. I'm as gutted and disillusioned as the next fan. What a f**kin mess seriously.  

I know you have personal issues with our CEO but I don't hold him responsible for our current predicament. Tony was appointed by the old board a few managers ago when Ian Murray was in charge and maybe just after Spalding left as assistant to be replaced by Alex Miller. 

The main thing which has reflected badly on our CEO was voting to fire a manager he had gushingly given very public backing to a few days earlier after a 1-1 away draw at Dumbarton - the kind of result that in hindsight looks magnificent after 5 league defeats in a row and 1 goal scored in just under 8 hours.

My mistake about who give him the job so I am away for a bit of humble pie [emoji513]

17 minutes ago, Isle Of Bute Saint said:

So are you suggesting we replace another management team . I can't agree with that this is not a team built by Jack Ross. If we go down then we need to stick by our manager Jack Ross needs time to build his own team that will take more than one season. I'm as gutted and disillusioned as the next fan. What a f**kin mess seriously.  

I'm suggesting that given where we were at the time Rae was fired that taking a punt on Jack Ross was the wrong type of appointment at that time: i.e. an inexperienced manager whose only experience so far was to take Alloa down last season and get off to a good start in the league below.

I had just about reconciled myself to the return of Gus or bringing in Jimmy Calderwood for a season or two.

I'd still like to think Jack Ross could lead us to 8th or better. Realistically Ayr in 7th are looking good to finish with 35-40 points this year,  meaning we need to take about 35 points from 23 games to try and catch them. Maybe Queen of the South will continue to struggle? Sadly, in mid-November it is already looking like a 3 horse race for 8th place and safety with Dunfermline in 8th picking up 3 times our points tally so far this season. Desperate. 

If  results continue on the current trajectory next month I am not sure how long we can stick with Jack Ross. There were 28 games left when he took over and we were 4 points of 7th at that point in time. Few could have imagined many of us would almost be ready to concede relegation in November. Or do we stick with Jack Ross regardless of results just because GLS appointed him?

Edited by Dibbles old paperboy

27 minutes ago, Dibbles old paperboy said:

I think it was in January when Tony was appointed so Rae would have been a manager. I also don't know how much say he'd have had in the sacking - I suppose probably more than Brian Caldwell did in hiring and firing as he was on the board by that point - however it did look relatively silly saying that less than a week before he got the bullet.

1 minute ago, Stu said:

I think it was in January when Tony was appointed so Rae would have been a manager. I also don't know how much say he'd have had in the sacking - I suppose probably more than Brian Caldwell did in hiring and firing as he was on the board by that point - however it did look relatively silly saying that less than a week before he got the bullet.

It was supposed to be a unanimous board decision to sack Rae, less than 5 days after Tony said the club had to pull together behind Rae and trust his excellent record as a manager at this level and excellent record at St Mirren... and then he votes to fire him!

No like Tony to say anything silly is it [emoji12] All joking aside, every single person regardless of their position at the club, will need to do more to get the club out of this big shit of a hole we are in, or live with the embarrassment of being involved with the worst saint team in living memory [emoji107]

I haven't seen anything to suggest we can get out of this other than a club above us going into freefall...every club looks more organised, stronger, fitter and simply better than us..rarely have we played the same squad 2 games in a row. The team looks completely disorganised and, our defence is appallingly..

2 hours ago, buddygreat said:

I haven't seen anything to suggest we can get out of this other than a club above us going into freefall...every club looks more organised, stronger, fitter and simply better than us..rarely have we played the same squad 2 games in a row. The team looks completely disorganised and, our defence is appallingly..

Aye, but apart from that, everything is ok.

17 hours ago, Dibbles old paperboy said:

It was supposed to be a unanimous board decision to sack Rae, less than 5 days after Tony said the club had to pull together behind Rae and trust his excellent record as a manager at this level and excellent record at St Mirren... and then he votes to fire him!

17 hours ago, renfrew said:

No like Tony to say anything silly is it emoji12.png All joking aside, every single person regardless of their position at the club, will need to do more to get the club out of this big shit of a hole we are in, or live with the embarrassment of being involved with the worst saint team in living memory emoji107.png

The dreaded "vote of confidence", it's not the first time it's happened and won't be the last - wouldn't criticize TF on this one.

Edited by Bud the Baker

There will be no change of management this season. Our only hope is that Jack Ross can have a massive clear out in January and somehow catch the teams above us. I think 2nd bottom is still achievable! Ffs who would have thought on St Patrick's Day 2013, this was our future? Time to roll up the sleeves and get on with it.

47 minutes ago, cambiebud said:

There will be no change of management this season. Our only hope is that Jack Ross can have a massive clear out in January and somehow catch the teams above us. I think 2nd bottom is still achievable! Ffs who would have thought on St Patrick's Day 2013, this was our future? Time to roll up the sleeves and get on with it.

I have no wish to see us sack another manager and assistant any time soon but I do find it incredible that people are suggesting Jack Ross will be with us by the end of the season, no matter what, given that we are on 5 straight defeats in the league since he took over and only 1 goal scored in those 5 games. When Rae was sacked the chorus was we had an inbalanced squad but one with plenty of good players at this level who should have been doing better than they were and Rae wasn't getting the best out of them (and almost anybody else could of course do better than he was doing).

Forget about our first win of the season for now, under Ross we have still take our first league point of the season. For all the positivity about our general play improving and young guys being brought in the fact is we are on a worse run under Ross than we were on under Rae and December's 6 league fixtures all look pretty tricky. It also looks like, at the moment, the new board are saying the budget has been spent for this year and no new money will be made available in the January window, despite GLS supposedly telling JR he had inherited a shambles of a squad. The only way we will get players in during the January window is by moving other players on. Have we already begun telling players their future lies elsewhere (and if so how will JR be able to motivate them?) or will we have targets lined up ready to sign and then run into deals stalling as we can't move our own players on first? I'm also slightly worried that JR has identified strikers as an area to strengthen, while goalkeeper, defence and midfield have all been poor consistently through the first half of the season!

I'd be delighted if we turn things around in the league next month but I don't hold out much hope for the January window becoming our salvation, and also hope results improve soon for Jack Ross as there was nothing inevitable about us being relegated when he took over.

Edited by Dibbles old paperboy

I have no wish to see us sack another manager and assistant any time soon but I do find it incredible that people are suggesting Jack Ross will be with us by the end of the season, no matter what, given that we are on 5 straight defeats in the league since he took over and only 1 goal scored in those 5 games. When Rae was sacked the chorus was we had an inbalanced squad but one with plenty of good players at this level who should have been doing better than they were and Rae wasn't getting the best out of them (and almost anybody else could of course do better than he was doing).

Forget about our first win of the season for now, under Ross we have still take our first league point of the season. For all the positivity about our general play improving and young guys being brought in the fact is we are on a worse run under Ross than we were on under Rae and December's 6 league fixtures all look pretty tricky. It also looks like, at the moment, the new board are saying the budget has been spent for this year and no new money will be made available in the January window, despite GLS supposedly telling JR he had inherited a shambles of a squad. The only way we will get players in during the January window is by moving other players on. Have we already begun telling players their future lies elsewhere (and if so how will JR be able to motivate them?) or will we have targets lined up ready to sign and then run into deals stalling as we can't move our own players on first? I'm also slightly worried that JR has identified strikers as an area to strengthen, while goalkeeper, defence and midfield have all been poor consistently through the first half of the season!

I'd be delighted if we turn things around in the league next month but I don't hold out much hope for the January window becoming our salvation, and also hope results improve soon for Jack Ross as there was nothing inevitable about us being relegated when he took over.

I'm sure I'm not the only one here that thinks this, but looking at the team assembled at the start of the season we looked quite strong. Where it's all gone wrong is anyone's guess. I wasn't exactly over the moon with Rae's appointment, nor that of Ross. Ross obviously knew what he was coming into and would have been up against it unless he could have given us a couple of wins. In my opinion we've gone downhill rapidly since TC took over (I excuse GT from any culpability) then Murray, Rae now Ross. Neither of those four have a positive proven track record at this level. Four bad appointments by the board in my opinion that's put us where we are,

On 3 November 2016 at 2:00 AM, Dibbles old paperboy said:

I'm not sure that if Jack Ross was in charge when we got relegated that he would be seen as the man for the job. He took over with 28 league games still to play, and inherited a club 2 points adrift of part-time Dumbarton, 3 behind newly-promoted Dunfermline, and 4 points behind part-time Ayr. I am all for setting realistic goals but I don't think it is expecting too much to say full-time St Mirren should be able to finish ahead of those teams by the end of the season if the new management team can get the players playing near the potential most weeks.

This is exactly what's wrong at St a Mirren far too much negativity and even starting to talk crap is bad news for the players . How about getting behind the team tomorrow and we can get a win v Dumbarton . At the moment the whole place is just so negative . On a more positive note Ben Gordon won 2 balls in Morton box and 

I think we are pretty much fecked, any free agents are never going to be fit enough to come in and do a job and if we continue the way we are going most players will avoid us like the plague come January.

There is something fundamentally wrong at the club as these all looked like decent signings for a promotion push but almost to a man they have been terrible for us. Sacking Rae looked like the best way to get out of this but 5 games in Ross has made the worst start imaginable. We didn't even get the new manager bounce. 

New board, new management team, same rubbish on the park. I think regardless of results Ross will be here until the end of the season and maybe even the first 6 games of next season. The best we can hope for is that he finds a way to motivate this lot or failing that runs them every day until they vomit at least then they will know how sick we feel!

Absolutely laughable folk talking about sacking the manager. Is that not what we have been doing frequently since Danny left? Where has this got us?
We need stability and get behind the current manager and board whether you think he was the right appointment or not. I certainly see improvement in parts of our game, but.... we are continuing to leak daft goals and failing to score. These are individual errors that are outwith the managers control.
The players are clearly feeling the downfall in morale of being cut adfrift at the bottom of the league.

On 11/19/2016 at 7:50 PM, Dibbles old paperboy said:

7 weeks since our last point in the league. Our league record since Alex Rae's departure:

24th September: Dunfermline 4, St Mirren 3

1st October: St Mirren 1, Falkirk 1

--------------------------------------------------- Jack Ross appointed ---------------------------

15th October: St Mirren 0, Dundee United 2

29th October: Hibernian 2, St Mirren 0

1st November: Morton 3, St Mirren 1

5th November: St Mirren 0, Dumbarton 1

19th November: St Mirren 0, Dunfermline 1

To have scored 1 league goal in 5 games must be a new low for us at Championship level, while conceding 9 in the same length of time. We have had 2 home games in a row against the team sitting in 9th and failed to score in either game. We have some games against mid-table teams going up (Falkirk, Raith Rovers, Queen of the South, Ayr) and then Dundee United away on Christmas Eve and Morton on Hogmanay. Since Rae was fired the gap between ourselves and Morton has grown from 3 points to 19 points.

Cannot argue wth you. The stats are there for us all to see.

I have to hope that Jack Ross and Co can turn it around.

Whatever you think,it would be madness to sack the managerial team because the cost of doing so would mean we would still be stuck with the players we have.We need new players and as it stands if we have no money to buy any then we can only shift Tom Walsh and Ryan Hardie in January,don't know how much it's costing us to play them but surely we can get 2 decent players for the positions we need to strengthen for the money they are costing us.We will not miss either of the two in my opinion.

We have to wait until the end of the season to offload other players,and in my opinion we need to ensure we don't give new contracts to the players who occupy the treatment table more often than they appear on the park for 90 minutes

Edited by buddiecat
no

Its not looking too optimistic for January at the moment imo.

if we move a couple of loanees on, will we be able to replace them with something better? Will better players want to come to be relegated to League One?

i fear for our season, there isnt a team we can beat, and if the next five/six matches follow suit we will be adrift, and playing to crowds of 1500. I dont think there is much appetite amongst saints fans for another sacking because it really shines a light on how wrong the decisions were to hire those sacked.

i grieve that we hired Murray when it was obvious he had no talent or experience, and it grieves me further we have repeated the same schoolboy error by hiring Jack Dross when again it was so obvious he did not have a succesful track record at any level, was an out and out rookie when we needed some nouce to fight out of this.

unless he can get a minimum ten ponts out of the next five games i think he should do the hounorable and professional thing and just walk, and give us a chance to fight for the club's survival.

I'm sure I'm not the only one here that thinks this, but looking at the team assembled at the start of the season we looked quite strong. Where it's all gone wrong is anyone's guess. I wasn't exactly over the moon with Rae's appointment, nor that of Ross. Ross obviously knew what he was coming into and would have been up against it unless he could have given us a couple of wins. In my opinion we've gone downhill rapidly since TC took over (I excuse GT from any culpability) then Murray, Rae now Ross. Neither of those four have a positive proven track record at this level. Four bad appointments by the board in my opinion that's put us where we are,

Well one of the ways in which it's gone wrong is that not many of the players that people expected to start matches are playing anymore.

Langfield, Webster, McKenzie, Quinn, Hutton, Gallagher, Walsh, Shankland and Hardie have all been cast aside — and not all because of injury either.

If someone had suggested in July that St Mirren were going into the new season with as many lads from the under 20s in the starting line up I'm sure most would have had the alarm bells ringing.

Well one of the ways in which it's gone wrong is that not many of the players that people expected to start matches are playing anymore.

Langfield, Webster, McKenzie, Quinn, Hutton, Gallagher, Walsh, Shankland and Hardie have all been cast aside — and not all because of injury either.

If someone had suggested in July that St Mirren were going into the new season with as many lads from the under 20s in the starting line up I'm sure most would have had the alarm bells ringing.

Very true chap.