John McGinn

Political correctness IMO could be viewed in much the same manner as religion and in that; I do not wish to disparage those who are of a religious disposition but simply mean to say that I view religion as a crutch to help you when required, a good thing IMO even though I am not a believer.  And so I tend to view political correctness in a similar vein; in as much as religion can be a conversation stopper, you either believe or you don't, very little to debate, ergo those who mandate Political correctness and  truly believe in it not accepting any alternate view IMO are the same as those who support religion wholeheartedly.  However; given that Political correctness is generally about one persons interpretation of another persons language and language as we are all aware is so much very dependent on Place, Context, Audience, inflection and a multitude of other factors  that we could and do choose to interpret some words in a manner not intended by the speaker.  So my point would be ...... does Political correctness really help to (as you seem to think DJ)  'bring forward awareness ' or as others suggest (and I do not necessarily include myself here) That Political correctness is simply a form of censorship and a curtailment of an individuals freedom of speech.

9 minutes ago, jaybee said:

Political correctness IMO could be viewed in much the same manner as religion and in that; I do not wish to disparage those who are of a religious disposition but simply mean to say that I view religion as a crutch to help you when required, a good thing IMO even though I am not a believer.  And so I tend to view political correctness in a similar vein; in as much as religion can be a conversation stopper, you either believe or you don't, very little to debate, ergo those who mandate Political correctness and  truly believe in it not accepting any alternate view IMO are the same as those who support religion wholeheartedly.  However; given that Political correctness is generally about one persons interpretation of another persons language and language as we are all aware is so much very dependent on Place, Context, Audience, inflection and a multitude of other factors  that we could and do choose to interpret some words in a manner not intended by the speaker.  So my point would be ...... does Political correctness really help to (as you seem to think DJ)  'bring forward awareness ' or as others suggest (and I do not necessarily include myself here) That Political correctness is simply a form of censorship and a curtailment of an individuals freedom of speech.

PC is knowing what to say and when to say it, Religion is making sure you say what someone else said or you will burn in eternal flames ..............

3 minutes ago, helpmaboab said:

Keep going Oaky, you are making perfect sense. What is wrong wi all these other folk getting their knickers in a twist about nothing.

remember when PC stood for police constable, and being gay meant you were feeling happy.......

heres a wee PC song.....

Stirrer. 

57 minutes ago, jaybee said:

Why not start a philosophical discussion thread? 

The background approach to any political correctness changes with the climate.

You can no longer refer to a certain person by the colour of their skin, their gender leaning tendencies nor can you call someone 'disabled', yet in the not too distant past it was the norm.

Pick your subject and I bet today's acceptable terminology will be tomorrow's bete noir. :shockaroony

7 minutes ago, renfrew said:
16 minutes ago, DougJamie said:
I do hope Hibs stupid valuation does not get in the way of this. Celtic can just wait till next year- no problem

So could the English clubs. Surely you don't think Hibs value of him is fair ?

In the land of Neil Lennon

29 minutes ago, The Original 59er said:

The background approach to any political correctness changes with the climate.

You can no longer refer to a certain person by the colour of their skin, their gender leaning tendencies nor can you call someone 'disabled', yet in the not too distant past it was the norm.

Pick your subject and I bet today's acceptable terminology will be tomorrow's bete noir. :shockaroony

Today’s subject then is Bobby Moore. If he were playing today, would it be acceptable to say he walks like a wummin’ and he wears a bra?

Showing my age now.

Shit... forgot... John McGinn....

McGinn, McGinn, poor wee John McGinn,

Hibs want more cash, 

Will Celtic dash,

Into their biscuit tin.

17 minutes ago, renfrew said:
21 minutes ago, DougJamie said:

And he is right. If celtic can value and get 7 millions for Armstrong, then surely McGinn is worth at least 4 millions.

Agree, but the team bidding is not in  the EPL

24 minutes ago, pozbaird said:

Today’s subject then is Bobby Moore. If he were playing today, would it be acceptable to say he walks like a wummin’ and he wears a bra?

Showing my age now.

Shit... forgot... John McGinn....

McGinn, McGinn, poor wee John McGinn,

Hibs want more cash, 

Will Celtic dash,

Into their biscuit tin.

Think that's a Biscuit Vault now

33 minutes ago, renfrew said:
37 minutes ago, DougJamie said:

And he is right. If celtic can value and get 7 millions for Armstrong, then surely McGinn is worth at least 4 millions.

Armstrong is playing Champions League, and buying a Celtic player is slightly different than another Scottish club

PS How much do u think Lewis Morgan is now worth , ? 350k or £1m ?

1 minute ago, Slartibartfast said:

£17m

Yes and due to the fantastic sell on clause we get .............................................................................................................................................................................. :death