John McGinn

9 minutes ago, DougJamie said:

Yes and due to the fantastic sell on clause we get .............................................................................................................................................................................. :death

A sore head.

23 minutes ago, MenstrieSaint said:

What I can't understand is why English teams a quite happy to pay Celtic over the odds for a player , but won't compete with Celtic to sign a player for a fraction of the price .

I just don't agree with this view at all. 

I think it's pretty straightforward why there's such a vast difference in the prices of Armstrong and McGinn - and it's merited. 

Celtic took Armstrong and improved him to a different level. He experienced better coaching, better training facilities, improved personal fitness and played at a higher standard winning trophies and playing in the Champions League. I also think that Brendan Rodgers being Celtic manager gains them a lot more credibility. They now effectively have the management, facilities and structure of a EPL club and English clubs are assured by that. That pushes up the value of a player like Armstrong going from Celtic, compared to a player like McGinn going from Hibs. More expensive and Less risk ,  is the way the English clubs see it. 

It's the exact same reason why a player like van Dijk ends up at Southampton as a stepping stone to Liverpool. Similar with Andy Robertson via Hull to Liverpool.  

The bigger the club, the more they want to see that a target player can cut it at what they deem to be an appropriate level. It doesn't matter if Liverpool paid £75m for van Dijk when they could have had him for £12m. They're quite happy to do that and get the finished article. 

All the clubs are stepping stones in this system. 

St.Mirren -> Hibs -> Celtic -> Southampton -> Liverpool -> Barcelona...    it just goes on that way. 

No matter what people may think of McGinn's ability, it's ridiculous to say that he's close to the level of Armstrong at this moment in his career or should be anywhere close in value. The value of McGinn at the end of the day will simply be whatever someone is willing to pay. It doesn't come down to Celtic being tight. I think they're an exceptionally well run club at the moment and are dealing very shrewdly in the transfer market. 

Edited by Maboza

1 hour ago, DougJamie said:

In the land of Neil Lennon

What has Neil Lennon got to do with Hibs valuation of McGinn. He has nothing to do with that and said so himself publicly this week (doesn't even know the value placed on him by the club). Coaches tend not to be involved in this stuff.

14 minutes ago, Maboza said:

St.Mirren -> Hibs -> Celtic -> Southampton -> Liverpool -> Barcelona...    it just goes on that way. 

Why don't Barcelona cut out all the middle men and get him cheap at 4 or 5m from Hibs.  You know it makes sense. :rolleyes:

25 minutes ago, Ayrshire Saints said:

What has Neil Lennon got to do with Hibs valuation of McGinn. He has nothing to do with that and said so himself publicly this week (doesn't even know the value placed on him by the club). Coaches tend not to be involved in this stuff.

In your humble opinion

Lenny said £5m not so long ago, maybe he changed his mind

My opinion is that Celtic chance their arm in deals such as this, because of who they are, that being one of two clubs in Scotland who players from other Scottish teams support and want to join. I believe Celtic know John McGinn is a 3 million pound player, but will brass neck it because they’re Celtic, a huge fish in a small pond. I think their attitude towards any Scottish player they want is that it’s a done deal that if they want them, they’ll get them, cheap as chips if they can get away with it, and they usually do.

Edited by pozbaird

1 minute ago, pozbaird said:

My opinion is that Celtic chance their arm in deals such as this, because of who they are, that being one of two clubs in Scotland who players from other Scottish teams support and want to join. I believe Celtic know John McGinn is a 3 million pound player, but will brass neck it because they’re Celtic, a huge fish in a small pond.

Absolutely correct. What's new?  It's their business model.

11 minutes ago, Wendy Saintss said:

So why is no-one else bidding £3 million for John McGinn?

I take your point Wendy but it's not just the amount in itself that will matter... Things such as how and when monies are paid,  add insult and share of sell on fees all come into the picture. 

If we get a sizable sell on fee for him, I would like to see some of the cash spent on a statute of Mrs McGinn.

God bless her, she has done more for St Mirren than most........3 players, 1 a club captain who saved us from relegation and now John will make us what might be our biggest transfer fee since Fergie. :notworthy:P

13 hours ago, St.Ricky said:

I take your point Wendy but it's not just the amount in itself that will matter... Things such as how and when monies are paid,  add insult and share of sell on fees all come into the picture. 

Add insult??? Insult to what?

The fact is that Celtic have bid way beyond what anyone has else has bid. Indeed, no-one else has bid!

I really don't see how that makes Celtic tight?

If it weren't for Celtic then we'd be getting zero.

36 minutes ago, Isle Of Bute Saint said:

That's the St Mirren way and the likely outcome unless another bidder steps in. Thought more clubs would have been interested. Can't see Celtic paying 3 million.  

They are careful buyers and great sellers. Nothing wrong with that. As I intended to say in an earlier post until predictive text mangled it...it's not just the actual amount but how and when it is paid and any add ons.

24 minutes ago, St.Ricky said:

They are careful buyers and great sellers. Nothing wrong with that. As I intended to say in an earlier post until predictive text mangled it...it's not just the actual amount but how and when it is paid and any add ons.

Well that cleared that up. 

16 hours ago, Maboza said:

It's the exact same reason why a player like van Dijk ends up at Southampton as a stepping stone to Liverpool. Similar with Andy Robertson via Hull to Liverpool.  

The bigger the club, the more they want to see that a target player can cut it at what they deem to be an appropriate level. It doesn't matter if Liverpool paid £75m for van Dijk when they could have had him for £12m. They're quite happy to do that and get the finished article. 

No matter what people may think of McGinn's ability, it's ridiculous to say that he's close to the level of Armstrong at this moment in his career or should be anywhere close in value. The value of McGinn at the end of the day will simply be whatever someone is willing to pay. It doesn't come down to Celtic being tight. I think they're an exceptionally well run club at the moment and are dealing very shrewdly in the transfer market. 

Good post. We traditionally have not done well enough out of taking our place in that pecking order.

We're not always going to do as well as we have done in developing the six "M"s over the past few years - so we need to be shrewder in the way we acquire players.

Ie, it's important to fill in the teams to the left of St Mirren in that list you've posted: buying players in and selling them on for a profit to the teams to the right.

It's clear that our current transfer strategy is an attempt to do that. Is it a gamble? Yep, but look at the legacy Stubbs left at Hibs. 

I hope he's doing the same for us.

1 hour ago, St.Ricky said:

Today is the last day to sign players for champions League games so if nothing happens today it will end up being a pre-contact.