Jump to content

St Mirren Contract thread


Recommended Posts


3 minutes ago, Alba said:

This, very much so. 

I hope he stays as well.  I think the only thing that might work in our favor is clubs might be mindful of his injuries.  Will be an exciting month or so at the club. Can't wait for some breaking contract news. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

59 minutes ago, southsidebud said:

I'm a wee bit surprised that there is a bit of uncertainty around whether or not we should be signing Billy O'Brien. I think we need to remember that he is only 21 and has a lot of time to develop areas that he is weaker in and to grow as keeper. Yes he is sometimes hesitant and makes mistakes but surely - being as young as he is especially for a keeper - it is way too early to say he is not one we should be keeping on. He has had some fantastic performances as well.

He is the Welsh under 21 keeper and was on the books at Man City. All of that - along with my own personal assessement of him in games - leads me to say that he should be a stick on for a contract if he wants it and we can (sensibly) afford it.

I'm with you. Billy made a big difference when he came in, gave the defence more confidence. Admittedly uncertainty crept in with a few mistakes, but as a keeper of that age these are to be expected, but he has a lot of potential to improve and with a solid experienced keeper vying for the number 1 jersey with him, he can continue to develop.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, southsidebud said:

I'm a wee bit surprised that there is a bit of uncertainty around whether or not we should be signing Billy O'Brien. I think we need to remember that he is only 21 and has a lot of time to develop areas that he is weaker in and to grow as keeper. Yes he is sometimes hesitant and makes mistakes but surely - being as young as he is especially for a keeper - it is way too early to say he is not one we should be keeping on. He has had some fantastic performances as well.

He is the Welsh under 21 keeper and was on the books at Man City. All of that - along with my own personal assessement of him in games - leads me to say that he should be a stick on for a contract if he wants it and we can (sensibly) afford it.

Agreed however I would still like to see an experienced goalkeeper brought in and some good competition for the jersey.  He's learning all the time and potentially could have a great future in the game.  I'm not sure why people make mention to his wage and worry about affording him.  He wouldn't of been on a massive amount in the City academy and I think he's a realist about what the contract offers would be at this level.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, bazil85 said:

Agreed however I would still like to see an experienced goalkeeper brought in and some good competition for the jersey.  He's learning all the time and potentially could have a great future in the game.  I'm not sure why people make mention to his wage and worry about affording him.  He wouldn't of been on a massive amount in the City academy and I think he's a realist about what the contract offers would be at this level.  

Wouldn't be so sure of that . 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Callum Gilhooley said:

Wouldn't be so sure of that . 

Academy players wont be on anything like the mega money the first team players are on and he was pretty far down the pecking order. yes it might be similar to what our first team are on or a bit more but I get the feeling Billy appreciates what he has to do next in his career.  Not heard any whispers of other clubs looking at him and he seems to be enjoying his time here so don't see why not.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I do like Billy O'Brien but wouldn't be the end of the world if he decides to go elsewhere. As previously mentioned, he's an exciting young talent with a big further in the game. I would like to see him command his area a lot more tends to stay on his line and doesn't look confident with crosses coming into the box which gives me the fear.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, Stevie88 said:

I do like Billy O'Brien but wouldn't be the end of the world if he decides to go elsewhere. As previously mentioned, he's an exciting young talent with a big further in the game. I would like to see him command his area a lot more tends to stay on his line and doesn't look confident with crosses coming into the box which gives me the fear.

That would depend on who replaced him if he did go.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Clearly I'm in the minority but I'd be worried if Billy was our first choice keeper next season. He seemed to spill shots in every game, was weak at crosses and doesn't command his area. I sit behind the goals and can honestly say I didn't hear him shout once for the ball. I don't want to criticise any of the players when everyone is so positve but think we need better if we're going to push for the league next season

Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 minutes ago, andrew87 said:

but think we need better if we're going to push for the league next season

Billy will be better next season, and the season after that.

We need another keeper as a bit of healthy competition, but, like Baird, Billy is a developing talent. 

I'd be happy if he stays.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On ‎12‎/‎05‎/‎2017 at 7:41 PM, andrew87 said:

Clearly I'm in the minority but I'd be worried if Billy was our first choice keeper next season. He seemed to spill shots in every game, was weak at crosses and doesn't command his area. I sit behind the goals and can honestly say I didn't hear him shout once for the ball. I don't want to criticise any of the players when everyone is so positve but think we need better if we're going to push for the league next season

New pair of gloves will sort that. :thumbs2

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Clearly I'm in the minority but I'd be worried if Billy was our first choice keeper next season. He seemed to spill shots in every game, was weak at crosses and doesn't command his area. I sit behind the goals and can honestly say I didn't hear him shout once for the ball. I don't want to criticise any of the players when everyone is so positve but think we need better if we're going to push for the league next season


Don't think you're in the minority at all. I think Billy would be a good number 2 for us next season.
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, TopCat said:

 


Don't think you're in the minority at all. I think Billy would be a good number 2 for us next season.

 

I agree. Billy is a good young keeper with a great future if mentored correctly. He doesnt quite have the commanding authority needed for a regular top flight keeper just yet.

That said, there arent many bombproof No1s about at the moment .

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 6 months later...

Last nights game was a great to watch, with the exception of a short lull just after their goal I don't think we were particularly challenged. team that played were probably really close to our strongest possible 11. What do we think the chances are of signing down some of the out of contract players for next season? I know Morgan has been discussed to death and very likely he'll be away but what about the others? For me McGinn and Reilly are the priority to get signed up longer term before January when they'd be free to talk to other clubs. 

Reilly

McGinn

Baird 

Davis (Taking option) 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, bazil85 said:

Last nights game was a great to watch, with the exception of a short lull just after their goal I don't think we were particularly challenged. team that played were probably really close to our strongest possible 11. What do we think the chances are of signing down some of the out of contract players for next season? I know Morgan has been discussed to death and very likely he'll be away but what about the others? For me McGinn and Reilly are the priority to get signed up longer term before January when they'd be free to talk to other clubs. 

Reilly

McGinn

Baird 

Davis (Taking option) 

I think these players would sign if we get promoted. I doubt they would be keen to spend another year in the Championship so I would think they would want to wait a wee bit longer to see where the promotion drive takes us.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Sonny said:

I think these players would sign if we get promoted. I doubt they would be keen to spend another year in the Championship so I would think they would want to wait a wee bit longer to see where the promotion drive takes us.

Danger is other teams who are already there come sniffing in January. Reilly and McGinn could do a job in top flight no doubt

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...