Stubbs' Signings

Whoever the new manager is, they will have to deal with the players Stubbs leaves behind until January at least. Out of those Stubbs brought in himself, which of those do you think will feature and who will be turfed out in Jan?

GK: Danny Rogers - This in theory should have been a good signing based on his performances for Falkirk and Aberdeen's reports on him. It's his own fault he isn't N1 after his pish performances v Spartans and Sunderland. I think Stubbs' exit may actually help him as he now has a fresh slate with the new boss.  Samson will be assessed until Rogers is back from injury, and if Sammy isn't impressing the manager Rogers may come straight in.

LB: Harry Coulson - One I imagine will feature often this season. He's received many compliments going forward but suspect defensively, in fairness it's his first proper season. Hopefully we can bring in an experienced CB who can guide him and help him improve. Should get better as the season goes on.

LB/RB: Lee Hodson - Will have to feature until Jan at least. Could be switched up many times between Coulson and McGinn depending on form. He obviously did well enough in the past to secure a move from Killie to Sevco, we really need to see that type of form from him now. May stay until end of season unless we get a couple of full backs in Jan.

CB/DM: Alfie Jones - Poor start but perhaps lacking in confidence. If our new manager likes Gary Mack and signs a CB in Jan he may look to send Jones back unless we see improvement. Could depend as well if the manager sees him as a good option at DM.

CB: Cole Kpekawa - Poor so far. Could well come down to feelings on Gary Mack and/or new signings. 

CB: Josh Heaton - New manager may be under pressure to try and use him, I can't see the board wanting to release him early after we spunked 75K on him. Hopefully the new manager will get his confidence up and make it look like the 75K was actually a good idea. Once fit he should get straight in the squad if Baird/Kpekawa/Jones are still largely useless and making errors.

RM(?): Jeff King - Hasn't been great but did have an impressive performance against the Dundee United youth team. We are short of wingers so we might as well give him some chances in the coming months. If he's still pish I can see him being punted out in Jan.

CM: Ryan Edwards - One I see featuring often, he's played in this league before and knows what a relegation battle consists of having suffered it last season. His experience of this league is more than most of the squad, we will need that.

CM: Matt Willock - I see Willock featuring in a number of games this season, but not as regularly as Edwards. May well depend if the new manager wants 2 CMs playing or 3 CMs. Formation will dictate how often he plays. Could also depend on if Jones gets a chance at DM as the CM options could be McGinn/Edwards. Should play his fair share I imagine.

ST: Nicolai Brock-Madsen - He's got til Jan. Play well and we will look to bring him back, play shite and it frees up a space in the squad for January.

ST: Cody Cooke - I would have imagined Cody to probably get punted in January but if the Brock is unwanted here, Cody may get to stay until the summer. Hopefully in the coming weeks he can get used to this level of football and show himself in a decent light. Stubbs never gave him a start after Spartans so again this could be a blessing for Cody like Rogers, a chance to prove himself to the new manager on a fresh slate.

Clean slate for everyone. Sounds like collective morale went right down the pan shortly after most of these guys arrived. I think there could still be a player in both Kpekawa and King. Coulson has shown he can play. Willock was a regular for a good Fakes side. 

We still need to add to the squad - a LM, if nothing else, must be added.

1 hour ago, Magic Monkey said:

Clean slate for everyone. Sounds like collective morale went right down the pan shortly after most of these guys arrived. I think there could still be a player in both Kpekawa and King. Coulson has shown he can play. Willock was a regular for a good Fakes side. 

Totally agree....................... the season has just started, a huge incentive for all

Best signing so far has been Paul McGinn (by JR). Heaton looks nowhere ready to play Premiership football and neither does Cooke. All of AS signings may improve but we are not in a position to wait around a year or so nor get rid of any AS signings before Jan. Coulson needs to play further forward with Hodson behind him. That also resolves the wide left issue. Jones looks more capable than Kpekawa and should start. Willock looks ok. BM has been poor so far but we have no-one else to challenge Mullen. Smith has to start every game in the hole behind the striker(s). Reckon we can shit-fest ourselves to safety with some free agents and decent signings in Jan.

1 hour ago, Sonny said:

Best signing so far has been Paul McGinn (by JR). Heaton looks nowhere ready to play Premiership football and neither does Cooke. All of AS signings may improve but we are not in a position to wait around a year or so nor get rid of any AS signings before Jan. Coulson needs to play further forward with Hodson behind him. That also resolves the wide left issue. Jones looks more capable than Kpekawa and should start. Willock looks ok. BM has been poor so far but we have no-one else to challenge Mullen. Smith has to start every game in the hole behind the striker(s). Reckon we can shit-fest ourselves to safety with some free agents and decent signings in Jan.

Neither does Samson Baird or S McGinn

13 minutes ago, Sweeper07 said:

Are you ALAN STUBBS    :lol:

No just a realist, Samson never comes near cross balls and so far we have lost 6 goals from crosses, he also never comes off his line nearly quick enough.  Baird decent championship centre back has been bullied in the 3 league games he started,  Stephen is either carrying an injury, not interested or maybe not as good as people tough he was

12 minutes ago, Iamhammer said:
28 minutes ago, Sweeper07 said:

Are you ALAN STUBBS    :lol:

No just a realist, Samson never comes near cross balls and so far we have lost 6 goals from crosses, he also never comes off his line nearly quick enough.  Baird decent championship centre back has been bullied in the 3 league games he started,  Stephen is either carrying an injury, not interested or maybe not as good as people tough he was

Shull I ask you another question? Why do you and erm Shull hate our wonderful keeper, saids it before not the best ever but certainly one of them.  :P

Have to agree a littl with Baird; he misses the security of someone with experience beside him and his confidence is depleted somewhat :(

Stephen is I suspect; like a lot of other players and a multitude of fans wondering what the bloody hell Stubbs was doing and couldn't believe someone could be so stupid in the way he behaved

Also; apart from that you need some HT therapy and apply it to .............. people tHoughT he was.  B)

Shull I repeat myself?  :P

22 minutes ago, jaybee said:

Shull I ask you another question? Why do you and erm Shull hate our wonderful keeper, saids it before not the best ever but certainly one of them.  :P

Have to agree a littl with Baird; he misses the security of someone with experience beside him and his confidence is depleted somewhat :(

Stephen is I suspect; like a lot of other players and a multitude of fans wondering what the bloody hell Stubbs was doing and couldn't believe someone could be so stupid in the way he behaved

Also; apart from that you need some HT therapy and apply it to .............. people tHoughT he was.  B)

Shull I repeat myself?  :P

I'm certainly not shull, the proof in that is that I go to away games. 

42 minutes ago, Iamhammer said:

A realist who obviously doesn't know much about footballer qualities or abilities.

Only you and one other clown wants rid of SAMSON (unless you are him with another handle)

BAIRD - tell me where he was bullied off of anything in the 1st 3 games? He did lose the ball once and it led to 1 goal against us - but I have highlighted elsewhere that most others made mistakes but Bairdy was the one who seems to get a rough ride from critical fans... He is far better than you obviously realise. Personally with what we have currently - I would build the defence around him, not the unfit, slower MacK or any of the young boys or current full backs... but of course we can all have our opinions...

Just like SAMSON, I think you will find little support for binning McGinn.. HE has not been at his best, but the tactics and manager have not exactly managed to inspire and organise the team he so proudly captains... I do think his biggest weakness is losing the player he should be marking, but when he is on it, he is one of the best that we currently have....

IF you ever played at a decent level and experienced the kind of management which is looks like we had under Stubbs, you would have much more insight into how unsettling and uninspiring it is to go out knowing that so much is wrong....

He was badly bullied at Tynecastle on Saturday and at Ibrox a couple of Sundays ago.  Even the Dundee guy gave him a hard time.  Did I say bin anyone ?  No I just pointed out in my opinion more that Stubb's signings don't look up to the required standard.  As for playing, well I played in the English First Division You?

56 minutes ago, Sweeper07 said:

A realist who obviously doesn't know much about footballer qualities or abilities.

Only you and one other clown wants rid of SAMSON (unless you are him with another handle)

BAIRD - tell me where he was bullied off of anything in the 1st 3 games? He did lose the ball once and it led to 1 goal against us - but I have highlighted elsewhere that most others made mistakes but Bairdy was the one who seems to get a rough ride from critical fans... He is far better than you obviously realise. Personally with what we have currently - I would build the defence around him, not the unfit, slower MacK or any of the young boys or current full backs... but of course we can all have our opinions...

Just like SAMSON, I think you will find little support for binning McGinn.. HE has not been at his best, but the tactics and manager have not exactly managed to inspire and organise the team he so proudly captains... I do think his biggest weakness is losing the player he should be marking, but when he is on it, he is one of the best that we currently have....

IF you ever played at a decent level and experienced the kind of management which is looks like we had under Stubbs, you would have much more insight into how unsettling and uninspiring it is to go out knowing that so much is wrong....

Just two Saints Fans with a different opinion from yourself, ye abusive fanny. :byebye

Jack when all players were fit last season was 3rd choice in the championship.

I’m pretty sure he’s lost the ball more than once like all the players but jack shouldn’t be our best center back and 1st choice in the premiership its big reason why Stubbs has lost his job as the defence is terrible.

Was good last year as most of the time we were on the front foot but this year like a lot have struggled big time playing against better opposition every week.

All our players get criticised jack is no different if he’s getting a rough ride wtf is Cole Kpekawa getting he’s been slated rotten and both are the same age.

1 hour ago, Sweeper07 said:

Tell the truth you've been reading my mind: excellent points and very well made methinks :rolleyes:

1 hour ago, Iamhammer said:

He was badly bullied at Tynecastle on Saturday and at Ibrox a couple of Sundays ago.  Even the Dundee guy gave him a hard time.  Did I say bin anyone ?  No I just pointed out in my opinion more that Stubb's signings don't look up to the required standard.  As for playing, well I played in the English First Division You?

Should that not give you more of an appreciation of the issues here? or were you so blooming good you never had any, nor any manager who thought you weren't doing your best; or as he asked?  Or perhaps the old leather ball with laces caught you once to often in the side of your head?  B)

9 hours ago, Magic Monkey said:

MM.  You speak sense! 

Would add an Experienced Centre Back and Pacy Winger. 

2 hours ago, buddies1877 said:

1. Jack when all players were fit last season was 3rd choice in the championship.

2. I’m pretty sure he’s lost the ball more than once like all the players but jack shouldn’t be our best center back and 1st choice in the premiership its big reason why Stubbs has lost his job as the defence is terrible.

3. Was good last year as most of the time we were on the front foot but this year like a lot have struggled big time playing against better opposition every week.

4. All our players get criticised jack is no different if he’s getting a rough ride wtf is Cole Kpekawa getting he’s been slated rotten and both are the same age.

1. NOT TRUE - Jack played in more games than Davis or MacK and almost as many as both of them put together - in our very successful year. When MacK returned to fitness he was on the bench for about 15 games while Jack kept his place in the team. Once Davis was benched during that spell, but Jack remained in the 1st team. Once Jack signed a contract extension, and while the other 2 had not, JR dropped Jack - (a) was it because Jack had lost his place OR (b) JR was trying to persuade the other two to sign a contract extension? - none of us knows for sure...He was 1st or 2nd  choice more than he was 3rd choice - MacK was 3rd choice more than he was 1st or 2nd Choice and he was unfit more often than not -....

2. Our defence is terrible - Coulson has cost us the most goals this year than any other defender. KP has been dreadful mostly, Alfie has been poor mostly and both Hodson and P McGinn cost us goals in games I have been at - so I agree - BUT our midfield has been poor too - Willock got beaten by his man for 1 of the Gers goals, S McGinn lost his markers loads, and Magennis, who I rate has not really been on form at all - if opposition midfielders and fullbacks can walk right through us, it is no surprise that the "Defence" has been terrible. We have been disjointed and guys have not gelled or had enough ability at this level - the problem is certainly not Baird, though he is not perfect - no one is...

3. We were always going to be playing better opposition this year - a good manager would have signed players who could cope, and have built them into a team to suit this situation. We struggled against Spartans, & QP -so the writing was on the wall from early doors - the Kilmarnock game gave us false hope that Stubbs was setting us up well - but quickly we saw how wrong that was.

4. Fan's love a scape goat - When Jack or any player makes mistakes, fans will criticise - Cole has been completely out of his depth - against Hearts he lost every aerial battle and 2 of them led to goals - at times he looks ok - but he is neither quick enough, good enough at reading a game or winning nearly enough challenges at this level. It is not about age, it is about ability. Jack has played more games at this level than most of the rest of the squad we have, and now he is more mature.. Playing in a makeshift defence creates a loss in confidence to 1 or 2 decent defenders, who are trying to do their own job and cover for the mistakes of others too.. SO Let's sign a quality CB to play along side Jack (We should have signed Halkett for 2 reasons and He was willing to come) and we need better full backs than who we are playing at the moment.. BUT the midfield seriously needs to work better as a defensive unit, as part of the team too..

Rather than signing 9 hopefuls or a couple of has-beens at this level - we really needed 5 or 6 better players than we had in last years squad... there was a clear breakdown is setting this as a clear objective... Good luck to whoever comes in - they need to know this...

Edited by Sweeper07
changed week to year

3 hours ago, Iamhammer said:

At this level all the players should be in individual battles. At Ibrox he was playing against a very good and strong Morelos - who managed 1 goal after Baird lost possession and an unmarked player passed the ball back to Morelos. Against Dundee, after a poor headed clearance by P McGinn, Baird won a tackle and the ball broke to the Unmarked Dee player who scored... The CF Baird was marking didn't get any or create any goals... looks like his battling is not as costly as the others and his errors were not individual errors either.. it's a team game. Compare that to the 3 goals Coulson was at fault in in the Aberdeen game

I am guessing that you were not a defender and I have no way of proving who you played for and no desire to have it verified... Similarly I have no desire to boast with regards to who I played for, but I did play in a number of countries and was successfully throughout my career... but you only have my word for it..

Finally, only the foolish would not see that Stubbs signings are not up to the required standard - and certainly not with his managerial ability...

11 hours ago, Magic Monkey said:

Clean slate for everyone. Sounds like collective morale went right down the pan shortly after most of these guys arrived. I think there could still be a player in both Kpekawa and King. Coulson has shown he can play. Willock was a regular for a good Fakes side

He appeared in only 12 games for them last season... not sure but I think a number of them were as a sub.... He did score 1 goal .

Edited by Sweeper07