Coronavirus

faraway saint

Very selective, as usual. It seems to have escaped your notice that your link also shows that there has been a 40% increase in the number of acute beds occupied by Covid-19 cases from 20 November and 20 December. During the same period the number of acute beds occupied by non-Covid cases dropped by 10%.
Your dismissal of US figures because they don't suit you is absolutely typical. https://www.statista.com/chart/23746/icu-bed-occupancy-rates-in-us-hospital-areas/
"According to the dataset, ICU bed capacity is already at or above 100 percent in 113 hospital service areas with the highest occupancy rate seen in Cullman, Alabama, at 131 percent. It also looked at how things are developing in areas with a high population, an ominous trend which is illustrated on this map. There are zero ICU beds available in Albuquerque, for example, which has an occupancy rate of 116 percent. In Baton Rouge, that figure is 106 percent while it stands at 107 percent in Ogden, Utah. The New York Times described the situation in El Paso as marginally better with 13 free ICU beds out of 400 in total, which still makes for an occupancy rate of 95 percent.
More than a third of Americans now live in areas that are running critically short of free ICU beds and that hospitals serving 100 million people reported fewer than 15 available intensive care beds at theend of last week. The situation is worse in some places, however, particularly acrossa swathe of Midwest, South and Southwest. One in 10 people in those areas live in an area where ICU beds are completely full or 95 percent full. The disturbing hospital-level data comes as the U.S. registered more than 3,00 deaths in 24 hours for the first time. With an FDA panel meeting to consider approving Pfizer's vaccine, there is some badly needed hope on the horizon.

I think that accounts for everywhere that Trump campaigned. [emoji16]

Jesus, your patter is rotten.

Leave me out of it. [emoji853]

Only scientific surveys written in English are credible? Bit racist [emoji12]

If it was in English he wouldn't be needing a translation. [emoji15]

2 hours ago, antrin said:

Panic buying?  Huh!

I am a Normal Shopper.

Yesterday afternoon, thinking that the heavy falling rain would mean that only dour, inured, Scottish mountaineers would thole the hardship of such persistent downfalls, I was gobsmacked to see the queue wound round the car park, back up to the High Road, along it 80 metres or so, then down into the main shopping street.  Must have been 150-200 panic buying freaks!  The store would be thronged with super-spreaders!

I turned the car round and headed back home from Waitrose.

Using unassailable logic, I rose just after 6.00 this morning and went back into the fray and into the gloomy dawn.  Waitrose was due to open at 7.00.  I was sure I'd get a free run, like on my normal visits.  As I approached, I imagined seeing figures in the murk. Hmmm.   It wasn't raining.

The queue was longer than yesterday's!  :o

I just wanted my "normal" shopping - I'm NOT the panic buyer, of course.

I drove down the High Street, taking an 'easy' way home.  There was no queue outside M&S, which I knew had opened insanely at 6.00am!  There was a parking spot on the street.  Don't panic, don't panic!  I squeezed intae the parking spot.   Wardens don't start operating till 8.30.  I strolled coolly intae M&S.

It was bedlam inside.

I got a few ordinary items like bread and milk, some sausages,  bacon, sprouts. Not that ordinary, of course.  After all, these were M&S bread and milk, some sausages and bacon, sprouts etc.  I didn't buy an iceberg lettuce: I eschewed all salads.(Still have a few leaves protected on my allotments and some more mouldering in the foot of my fridge.)  I was soon finished and outa there!

"Emergency panic buying is for other people  - suckers... mugs who've bought into all that Xmas shite!", I thought as I strolled back to the car, gently cradling my M&S Stollen Log.

It's one downside of living in London.

I remember one year just after our local Sainsburys hyperstore (absolutely massive) went 24 hour and I decided to go shopping at 1am during Christmas week. Absolutely packed out. Huge queues at every till (no self scan back then). Couldn't get access to shelves due to queues.

Then there was a power cut and people started screaming. I remember yelling "calm down and shut the f**k up" as I hate screaming and wailing more than almost anything else.

Now, I go shopping late at night up here and have managed to avoid the worst of it. That's the real reason for me doing such a massive shop woth a week or two to go. Just want to avoid the hordes.

Latest ONS stats out this morning confirming the pseudo second wave @antrin @bazil85 @smcc

First graph shows excess deaths in the ‘second wave’, when compared with spring, show there is no pandemic.

Second graph shows no excess deaths in the epicentre of the mutant strain that is running amok in London.

Third graph shows what I predicted 2 weeks ago. As covid deaths go up, non covid deaths go down. Now that covid deaths are going down, non covid deaths are going up.

Pseudo second wave

E631FA39-43C5-41B0-847A-CBA765B7254D.jpeg

60B00A8C-4311-46E4-BF0B-3C1466111260.jpeg

97091D10-5FC0-4F6E-936C-1669EF76B929.jpeg

Also from ONS:

The number of deaths in the latest week was higher than the five-year average in all English regions and Wales

Number of deaths in Wales and regions in England, registered between 28 December 2019 and 11 December 2020

"There should be graphs at this point. 

I am incompetent and/or too lazy to make them show...  Go to ONS and look for yourselves.  :)

Refreshingly London and the South East look to be bumbling along not as badly as the papers  suggest."

The total number of deaths registered was higher than the five-year average in all English regions and Wales for the fifth week in a row. The largest increase on the five-year average was for West Midlands (353 deaths higher). The North West continued to have the largest number of deaths involving COVID-19 (426 deaths) although this is a decrease from 458 the week before. The highest proportion of deaths involving COVID-19 was seen in Yorkshire and The Humber (29%). Deaths involving COVID-19 decreased in the latest week in six out of nine English regions, with the largest decrease seen in Yorkshire and The Humber.

Edited by antrin

11 minutes ago, Sue Denim said:

Latest ONS stats out this morning confirming the pseudo second wave @antrin @bazil85 @smcc

First graph shows excess deaths in the ‘second wave’, when compared with spring, show there is no pandemic.

Second graph shows no excess deaths in the epicentre of the mutant strain that is running amok in London.

Third graph shows what I predicted 2 weeks ago. As covid deaths go up, non covid deaths go down. Now that covid deaths are going down, non covid deaths are going up.

Pseudo second wave

E631FA39-43C5-41B0-847A-CBA765B7254D.jpeg

60B00A8C-4311-46E4-BF0B-3C1466111260.jpeg

97091D10-5FC0-4F6E-936C-1669EF76B929.jpeg

Sharing graphs that contradict your claims is not a very strong argument technique. 

In actual relevant news, sad to see excessive deaths have went over 80,000 during this pandemic. It is clear to most using logic that this is overwhelmingly because there is a deadly virus STILL killing in the UK. We wait for another explanation for every single one of these 80,000 excessive deaths from pandemic deniers. Whenever you are ready. 

"-No one is getting ill from this flu like virus, let alone dying"

4 hours ago, bazil85 said:

Sharing graphs that contradict your claims is not a very strong argument technique. 

In actual relevant news, sad to see excessive deaths have went over 80,000 during this pandemic. It is clear to most using logic that this is overwhelmingly because there is a deadly virus STILL killing in the UK. We wait for another explanation for every single one of these 80,000 excessive deaths from pandemic deniers. Whenever you are ready. 

Erm... it's not excessive deaths.

Death is simply that - dead.  Death in itself can't be excessive.  The light simply switches off.

The manner in which the death occurs could be described as excessive eg "he was stabbed, bricked, boiled in oil, had his head cut off then they smothered him and dropped him in a pool of piranha".

Now that could be described as being rendered dead in an "excessive" manner, but the initial mortal blow would have sufficed for the person to be simply factually dead. 

And if there masses of people being killed in such an over-elaborate manner then I guess you could then compare individually excessive deaths.

However we're not doing that here.  So you can just count excess deaths  in comparison with how many died during a similar period as the ONS is doing.

I should get out more...  :unsure:

Edited by antrin

4 hours ago, bazil85 said:

The graphs quite clearly show that the pseudo second wave isn’t following the first wave

You’re looking at the same graphs. I know you can see it. 

4 hours ago, Bud the Baker said:

As we are all quoting our favourite ONS statistic, I'll give you mine...:rolleyes:

The fact that this is your “favourite” statistic says it all. 

The middle class left have celebrated working class deaths throughout 

The fact that many of those deaths were caused by the policies you support is what is so sad

your virtue, their death 

Edited by Sue Denim

24 minutes ago, antrin said:

Erm... it's not excessive deaths.

Death is simply that - dead.  Death in itself can't be excessive.  The light simply switches off.

The manner in which the death occurs could be described as excessive eg "he was stabbed, bricked, boiled in oil, had his head cut off then they smothered him and dropped him in a pool of piranha".

Now that could be described as being rendered dead in an "excessive" manner, but the initial mortal blow would have sufficed for the person to be simply factually dead. 

And if there masses of people being killed in such an over-elaborate manner then I guess you could then compare individually excessive deaths.

However we're not doing that here.  So you can just count excess deaths  in comparison with how many died during a similar period as the ONS is doing.

I should get out more...  :unsure:

@bazil85 has used the term “excessive deaths” on a number of occasions.

He simply doesn’t know what he’s talking about 

it would be funny if it weren’t for the fact that this sort of cluelessness is killing so many people