Saints v Dundee FC - Wednesday, 7th Feb. 2024

W6er

Very professional performance tonight, other than Bolton and a massive result. In control for the majority of the game and played some nice stuff. 
Wonderful to see Carson flap at our first and chuffed for Olusanya bagging his goal that sealed it. Exactly what he’s there for with his pace. It was clearly onside without VAR and a cool finish. Inspired sub by Robbo. 
What was Bolton thinking firing in like that on a yellow? Wasn’t a red but a stick on yellow. 
Dundee have really good attacking players but couldn’t register a shot on target. Credit to the whole team defending from the front and big Gogic mopping everything up at the back.  Celtic will not be looking forward to their visit to Paisley at the weekend. 
COYS!!

A good, solid performance. Toyosi's goal was the icing on the cake. I thought Bolton's sending off was harsh - can we appeal it? The consensus seems to be it would've been a second yellow anyway.

Ultimately, we've created a bit of daylight between us and the chasing pack. I have heard it said that 40 points is usually enough to guarantee top-six. We're nearly there! :) But finishing sixth would be disappointing. I want a European spot.

Dundee boss Tony Docherty: "It doesn't sit well with me. It was a difficult game, the pitch was poor and really difficult to play on. We tried to pass it, but it was a long-ball, second-ball game. That's their style of play.

"We've got a handball in the 87th minute from a shot that is going in, or hitting the post at least. We don't get that decision, they don't go over to VAR. I'm perplexed, I'm asking questions, because I'm trying to protect our football club."

Dundee Manager topping the ‘sour grapes’ table

1 hour ago, Hunterian said:

Dundee boss Tony Docherty: "It doesn't sit well with me. It was a difficult game, the pitch was poor and really difficult to play on. We tried to pass it, but it was a long-ball, second-ball game. That's their style of play.

"We've got a handball in the 87th minute from a shot that is going in, or hitting the post at least. We don't get that decision, they don't go over to VAR. I'm perplexed, I'm asking questions, because I'm trying to protect our football club."

Dundee Manager topping the ‘sour grapes’ table

How can he say the pitch was poor? It looked fine from where I was sitting! 😮 

9 hours ago, W6er said:

can we appeal it? The consensus seems to be it would've been a second yellow anyway.

It should have been a second yellow but that carries less of a suspension than a straight red, It was a rash tackle but in no way did it endanger or anything. The first yellow was a joke and the ref had let other stuff that should have been a yellow go.

47 minutes ago, W6er said:

Its bull, he suddenly found out last night that his team will not be top 6.

We were streets ahead of them even when we have a bit more in us.

Really good run of fixtures on paper coming up. Looking at Killie's we have a much easier run to the split.

Its St Mirren though and we all know what that means !!

9 minutes ago, portmahomack saint said:

If we appeal that red card and it gets reduced to a yellow,  will Bolton be available for Sunday  ??  

yes

Effective immediately to Serious foul play (A1) the player’s Recognised Team’s next two matches Violent conduct (A2) 2 match automatic suspension irrespective of competition. (subject to Paragraph 4 Spitting at an opponent or any other below). person (A3) Refer to Part F for further clarification. Denying the opposing team or an opponent a goal or an obvious goal scoring opportunity (A4) Effective immediately to the next match in the Offensive, insulting or abusive language 1 match automatic suspension Competition Group in and/or gestures (A5) which the sending-off offence was reported. Receiving a second caution in the same match (A6)

Page 3 table 

https://www.scottishfa.co.uk/media/1849/suspensions-for-players-in-mens-football-annex-c-section-4.pdf

Excellent performance and result. Usual suspects played well, Gogic, Boyd-Munce, Mandron, Kiltie(apart from his shooting). Kwon has now settled into his role, great pass through the Dundee defence for Mandron in first half.

Disappointing to hear Docherty complaining about the pitch. I couldn't tell if he was right from the TV, but as always, it's the same for both teams. Statistics tell the real story about his team's performance; 4 shots on goal, none on target according to the BBC. 

Three vital points which puts some daylight between us and Dundee. As others have noted, we have a decent chance of picking up points in the next few games, so, as always.....

COYS!!

3 hours ago, W6er said:

I've seen a few players slipping on the surface in some games this season, the grass doesn't seem as deep rooted as it has been in recent years.  I think the grass is reseeded every summer so maybe we did something different.  I think it does look quite slick in some areas and the spots where the players do their warm-ups are quite well worn

13 hours ago, Balmullo Bud said:

Very professional performance tonight, other than Bolton and a massive result. In control for the majority of the game and played some nice stuff. 
Wonderful to see Carson flap at our first and chuffed for Olusanya bagging his goal that sealed it. Exactly what he’s there for with his pace. It was clearly onside without VAR and a cool finish. Inspired sub by Robbo. 
What was Bolton thinking firing in like that on a yellow? Wasn’t a red but a stick on yellow. 
Dundee have really good attacking players but couldn’t register a shot on target. Credit to the whole team defending from the front and big Gogic mopping everything up at the back.  Celtic will not be looking forward to their visit to Paisley at the weekend. 
COYS!!

I don't know if Mikel meant it, but the bounce in front of the keeper on that surface was exactly the right shot to take in those conditions.  The ball looked as if it skidded as it bounced and it completely fooled Carson.

Either genius or good luck, but I guess the ball did what he meant it to.

Did anyone notice that the linesman didn't flag at the point where Olusanya first touched the ball, as he should have.  He waited until he scored and then flagged at the 18 yard line when the ball hit the net.

It's meant to be offside when you play the ball whatever the outcome and not just if it results in a goal.

It's worth saying that Boyd-Munce looks much fitter than earlier in the season and lasts the game much better

Edited by beyond our ken

1 minute ago, Swiss_Saint said:

Its the middle of winter so no pitch is the SPL is perfect as grass goes dormant over this period, anyone who expects a summer billiard board pitch at this time of year is delirious

It has been better all winter in previous years though. Perfectly playable last night, just not as good as it has been.

1 hour ago, beyond our ken said:

I don't know if Mikel meant it, but the bounce in front of the keeper on that surface was exactly the right shot to take in those conditions.  The ball looked as if it skidded as it bounced and it completely fooled Carson.

Either genius or good luck, but I guess the ball did what he meant it to.

I think he just took a shot at goal and Carson made a complete @rse of it. Nothing to do with the surface.

Docherty moaning about our pitch and penalties is pathetic and probably gamesmanship trying to influence referees in future games.

The problems are in his dressing room and nowhere else

1 hour ago, beyond our ken said:

Did anyone notice that the linesman didn't flag at the point where Olusanya first touched the ball, as he should have.  He waited until he scored and then flagged at the 18 yard line when the ball hit the net.

It's meant to be offside when you play the ball whatever the outcome and not just if it results in a goal.

It's worth saying that Boyd-Munce looks much fitter than earlier in the season and lasts the game much better

He is meant to wait till that phase of play is finished i.e. a goal ?

For me linesman followed correct procedure but got the decision wrong. Not easy running the line despite how easy many fans think. In this case VAR is a plus !

1 hour ago, lenziebud said:

He is meant to wait till that phase of play is finished i.e. a goal ?

For me linesman followed correct procedure but got the decision wrong. Not easy running the line despite how easy many fans think. In this case VAR is a plus !

Totally agree that running a line is not easy and neither is refereeing, but week after week our "top" officials are not covering themselves in glory.

Simple things, like indicating a free-kick or throw-in with their arms (there were times last night I did not hear the whistle being blown for a foul) seems to be to much effort for them. Trudging up and down the middle of the pitch and never coming wide are my own personal pet hates. The guys in the middle in our league must be on around £1000 per match now, so they should go back to earning it.

Glad to see the club have appealed Bolton's straight red, as let's be honest McLean just wanted to follow his pal Robertson from the night before and go against the VAR recommendation.