Thommogod - Bad News

The bottom line is that no one other than the club know the reason or reasons for Gowser not getting a new contract. The fact is he has gone and better players have left our club in the past. Life and the club move on. We have no idea how influential or committed Gowser would have been if retained and can you imagine the posts on here if he had been as ineffectual as last season. Kenny will fill his role and let's see how good he is with Dundee. On a final note, if he was that good how come bigger clubs did not take him?

at short notice, we gave him a one-year extension to his deal when he wa in the midst of what must have been the worst period of his life to date.

Really? How do you get to this conclusion?

Are you are talking about his football match in Airdrie with PC Fitzpatrick?

This incident was more than 2 months after his new contract and after the season started.

Edited by davidg

You gotta laugh..... Innit?

FOOTBALLER GETS INJURED HORROR SHOCK

And before a baw has even been kicked the 'soggy sloggi' (TM Lord PM inc) brigade have us relegated.

How comes we didn't get relegated last season when he wasn't fit and off form???

Or the season before when injured?

He's a tall, rangy striker who relies on his legs to power everything he does, and he's 36...! He will pick up this type of muscle injury more and more and theres nowt can be done about it save to stop playing....

Get real peeps, he needs support and ultimately should be starting several games from the bench if we want to continue to see his best.

You'll find posts elsewhere saying that with the arrival of Caldwell we need to send Reilly out on loan, false senses of security are being lulled all over this forum, or at least they were.

Not from me you wont. In fact I think we need to keep him as back up, as I've stated elsewhere.

Agreed

And to think how DL was pilloried for letting Mair (feckin' Mair!!!???) go to strengthen Thistle

I was delighted we let Mair go. After an initial couple of decent games,he was ultimately shite for Thistle

Mair left while still under contract with us, we would have had to subsidize the deal. Lennon's inability to find a suitable replacement left us with 2 CH's and only Jim Goodwin for cover for the remainder of the season. Meanwhile Mair played in all of Thistle's subsequent games and helped them secure safety after their early season form had long since gone - it was a bad decision that could easily have backfired on us.

See what i mean?

You don't see the difference between letting an under contract player leave mid season to a rival and releasing an out of contract player?

Doesnt matter how they go, once they are gone they're gone, so no difference at all. McGowan wanted to stay (we are told), we passed him over and now he has made a competitor stronger in an area where we now seem to be unexpectedly weak. Mair was released when we had plenty of cover

Only difference seems to be if you have an axe to grind

whenever I think of St Mirren and the season ahead I absolutely shrivel inside and shudder and cringe to myself that we just let Paul McGowan go....he provided real class, flair ,imagination, creativity and a few goals, not that many I will concede but bet you he gets plenty for Dundee this season.

We had him and we let him go without a whimper...he would have stayed.

I honestly think THAT decision by TC is the one that could well define our season.

Of course TC is the manager and knows much much more than some far flung fermer but that is just the way I see it.

And, to keep on track with the thread, we need to Thommo to be fit, motivated, on form and not suspended every week.

If only. Why should he get more goals for them than he did for us. Will he suddenly have an overhaul and stop misfiring.

McGowan was free to join any club he wanted we had no control over which club he ended up at what-so-ever so there is no point in speculating whether it will be detrimental or not. As soon as we decided not to offer him a new deal it was totally out of our hands. The fact he ended up at newly promoted Dundee speaks volumes to me. No established Prem club never mind an English club fancied him. He is damaged goods on a redemprion mission - probably in the last chance saloon which is never a good place to be in any walk of life. I'd have kenny in his old position any day of the week - far more gifted player.

Doesnt matter how they go, once they are gone they're gone, so no difference at all. McGowan wanted to stay (we are told), we passed him over and now he has made a competitor stronger in an area where we now seem to be unexpectedly weak. Mair was released when we had plenty of cover

Only difference seems to be if you have an axe to grind

The point is exactly how they go. We didn't have to let Mair go at all, we had to pay him to leave.

It's not comparable to releasing an out of contract player at all, unless you have an axe grind.

All the talk of last year's transfer fiasco mentions Danny lennon

lets not forget that tommy Craig was there too

its that fact which worries me that this season will be no different

This is a reasonable point, in fairness.

I guess we'll just have to wait and see.

You did suggest elsewhere that Caldwell might be a decent signing, and I'm sure you approve of Kello and McLean being re-signed, so, on balance, I'm assuming you wouldn't be too down on TC in terms of his signings thus far?

Edited by Drew

Paul mcgowan is certainly talented

however

he had no real fixed position. He's not a central midfielder, a winger nor a striker. He therefore had to play behind Steven Thompson. This effectively means 1 up front and no pace

as ftof points out, he slowed attacks down

getting shot of mcgowan and bringing in marwood and Caldwell is a big improvement imo

add in wylde's pace and Kenny mcleans runs, we will hopefully be far more direct

This is a reasonable point, in fairness.

I guess we'll just have to wait and see.

You did suggest elsewhere that Caldwell might be a decent signing, and I'm sure you approve of Kello and McLean being re-signed, so, on balance, I'm assuming you wouldn't be too down on TC in terms of his signings thus far?

i think we are almost there.

assuming r signing another midfielder on loan from man city then i think we r done

Paul mcgowan is certainly talented

however

he had no real fixed position. He's not a central midfielder, a winger nor a striker. He therefore had to play behind Steven Thompson. This effectively means 1 up front and no pace

as ftof points out, he slowed attacks down

getting shot of mcgowan and bringing in marwood and Caldwell is a big improvement imo

add in wylde's pace and Kenny mcleans runs, we will hopefully be far more direct

Really liked Gowser a player , thinking his best position is up front in a six a side team .

Loved Gowser as a player , but there were times when he took too many touches and the move slowed down .

Looking forward to seeing the new faces , but still thinking we need a few more signings

Imo there is a problem with perception on the new signings so far

if the new strikers were Suarez and sturridge the i doubt anyone would be clamouring for another striker

but because marwood and Caldwell are unknown folk r desperate for us to sign someone else

we now have 3 strikers in this day and age where most clubs play with 1 striker

Germany just won the world cup with 1 recognised striker... And hr is 36 ffs

i don't think we will sign another striker

im sure that wylde or Reilly can play up front if we hit an injury crisis

McGowan was free to join any club he wanted we had no control over which club he ended up at what-so-ever so there is no point in speculating whether it will be detrimental or not. As soon as we decided not to offer him a new deal it was totally out of our hands. The fact he ended up at newly promoted Dundee speaks volumes to me. No established Prem club never mind an English club fancied him. He is damaged goods on a redemprion mission - probably in the last chance saloon which is never a good place to be in any walk of life. I'd have kenny in his old position any day of the week - far more gifted player.

The point is exactly how they go. We didn't have to let Mair go at all, we had to pay him to leave.

It's not comparable to releasing an out of contract player at all, unless you have an axe grind.

We had no control over where Mair went, once paid up and released he picked his own club-the fact that saints knew in advance that it was to be thistle is inconsequential, the judgement (later proved right, don't forget) was that he was not good enough to make a more positive impact at Firhill than he did in Paisley. You could argue it was a master stroke that improved morale in our own dressing room and lumbered thistle with a dud-thus actually weakening them

Why does DL keep getting flak for this? there was a board in charge who must have analysed and sanctioned the move. They could have said no, we'd rather pay him for the splinters than let him go to Thistle.

So do you have any arguments to counter the points I made?

There are different circumstances between the departures of Mair & McGowan's as other people have also pointed out - it's possible to reckon one decision was correct and one wrong.

My point was the hypocrisy of people taking to task one manager for letting one player move on and not applying the criteria to a more dangerous player making a similar, though not the same, move.

i have never compared the merits of a McGowan or a Mair

I'm sorry that I had to point that out-it's all their if you read it

My point was the hypocrisy of people taking to task one manager for letting one player move on and not applying the criteria to a more dangerous player making a similar, though not the same, move.

i have never compared the merits of a McGowan or a Mair

I'm sorry that I had to point that out-it's all their if you read it

......and as I said the situations were different.

You contradict yourself in the highlighted sections - first you say that McGowan is a more dangerous player (especially if you're a policeman bangin.gif ) than Mair and then you say you've never compared their merits.

Perhaps you should read what you say before you post!

Edited by Bud the Baker

Imo there is a problem with perception on the new signings so far

if the new strikers were Suarez and sturridge the i doubt anyone would be clamouring for another striker

but because marwood and Caldwell are unknown folk r desperate for us to sign someone else

we now have 3 strikers in this day and age where most clubs play with 1 striker

Germany just won the world cup with 1 recognised striker... And hr is 36 ffs

i don't think we will sign another striker

im sure that wylde or Reilly can play up front if we hit an injury crisis

Aye, I reckon we are okay in the strikng position. In an ideal world, we would have another proven goal scorer at this level such as Higdon, but this isn't an ideal world, and we are St Mirren with St Mirren's budget, not Man City or Real Madrid.

For me, we now need a right sided midfielder and a centre half. I think we could certainly do with another option in the holding midfield role and, at the outside, another left sided midfielder, but, having given it a bit of thought, I won't be wringing my hands if we have to make do with a couple more players.

You can think that, but people have actually written that he will have to go on loan now that Caldwell is here, not for game time but because he is further down the order now

I'm not reading minds, just reflecting on what is actually said.

He is further down the pecking order. That's a fact.

......and as I said the situations were different.

You contradict yourself in the highlighted sections - first you say that McGowan is a more dangerous player (especially if you're a policeman bangin.gif ) than Mair and then you say you've never compared their merits.

Perhaps you should read what you say before you post!

to say that an attacker is more dangerous entity than a defender is not to compare the respective merits of two individuals.

i will however break with my previous tack andsuggest hat Mair was more dangerous as a malcontented St mirren player than he was as a thistle man