Trip To Dumfries.

Contrast that with the interview a few weeks ago. The theme in that one was ' I'm happy with the squad at the moment '. People on here said he was playing mind games with agents, since then there has been no new signings, so perhaps he really was happy.

It's a shame it took two humpings in pre season games for the manager to see what some of us have seen for weeks. What an absolute nightmare of a summer the manager has had up until now.

Hardly a surprise that Danny is contradicting himself, his handling of the media is, at times, perplexing. I have never felt so pessesimtic about our fortunes going in to a season, and I include Coughlin's squad with Jamie Dunbar, Mark Crilly et al. Its all a bit worrying.

Hardly a surprise that Danny is contradicting himself, his handling of the media is, at times, perplexing. I have never felt so pessesimtic about our fortunes going in to a season, and I include Coughlin's squad with Jamie Dunbar, Mark Crilly et al. Its all a bit worrying.

I think that last sentence is worrying for you.

Irrespective of opinions on DL, you're saying that a season in the SPL after winning the League Cup where a team is 15 points behind already, is making you feel more pessimistic than a season in the First when we were skint and had a woeful team?

God help you my friend. Perhaps this isn't the game for you!

I think that last sentence is worrying for you.

Irrespective of opinions on DL, you're saying that a season in the SPL after winning the League Cup where a team is 15 points behind already, is making you feel more pessimistic than a season in the First when we were skint and had a woeful team?

God help you my friend. Perhaps this isn't the game for you!

No, that's not what I'm saying...I don't think wink.png . Perhaps I should have been clearer. What I'm really saying is that the squad we have assembled (right now) to try and compete in the forthcoming SPL season, in comparison, might be less equipped as Coughlin's boys were for the 1st Division campaign. Remember, Coughlin had Ally Mitchell, Paul McHale, Andy Dow and Billy Bald! (ok, appreciate I've just blown my own point but you get the jist - we need to strengthen!)

Whatever happens this season it would be cool if people could at least respect the fact that this manager of ours that you are berating unfairly has just given us our best two season's top league division points totals in 25 years and has won us a Cup.

The man has shown this club and its supporters nothing but absolute and total respect from day one.

He consistently talks up our team, our players, our directors and our fans - doing a better job than most on this thread.

He deserves far more respect than is being shown to him in return.

What is happening on this thread is embarassing and shameful.

Is he contradicting himself?

All he's come out and said is that Grainger would improve us.

Whatever happens this season it would be cool if people could at least respect the fact that this manager of ours that you are berating unfairly has just given us our best two season's top league division points totals in 25 years and has won us a Cup.The man has shown this club and its supporters nothing but absolute and total respect from day one.He consistently talks up our team, our players, our directors and our fans - doing a better job than most on this thread.He deserves far more respect than is being shown to him in return.What is happening on this thread is embarassing and shameful.

Well said sir, post of the pre season.

I don't know if I'm being harsh here - I personally don't feel like I am, having been to near every game last season - but I quite often get the impression that this squad we have really struggle to get themselves up for anything other than big matches.

The pre-season thus far might back that up, and maybe even the Newcastle game will strengthen that belief when from nowhere we get some extraordinary result because its a glamour fixture, but its something iv felt for a while now.

Our successful cup run - bar the Accies war of attrition - brought out most of our top performances last year, I think most folk would agree with that. But our league form, especially in 2013, was absolutely horrendous, really so so bad to watch. The only time I really saw us compete and do most things right routinely was when we played Celtic (post October's 0-5 humbling) and Motherwell.

Is that telling?? The fact it was against arguably the leagues two best teams? Is it the quality of the opposition that brings out the better side of us? Or is it the way they play - ball down, build from the back football (a somewhat better mirror image of ours) - that enables our system to work, hence we can actually play and play well?

If so, does that mean our system doesn't work against teams that play a traditional British style of football? I.e every other team in the league? Perhaps.

Or is it something else? Is it Danny failing to motivate the players in games out with those which players will be naturally motivated for? Is it thommo and teale, having played at the top level for many years, taking the foot off the gas every so often in their twilight years? Is it too many inexperienced players? Is it too many experienced players here for a holiday? I don't know.

But I do feel we have a problem when we're not playing in glamour games or against big teams.

There are plenty on here who have apparently made up their minds on the strength of one game v Morton, that Cornell "will not do" or is "shite" as I heard one halfwit saying on the way out on Saturday.

Time to Confess those were my very words after watching the keeper on Saturday..

and not to be a bleeding heart liberal He was shite

Edited by stevie-dee

Whatever happens this season it would be cool if people could at least respect the fact that this manager of ours that you are berating unfairly has just given us our best two season's top league division points totals in 25 years and has won us a Cup.

The man has shown this club and its supporters nothing but absolute and total respect from day one.

He consistently talks up our team, our players, our directors and our fans - doing a better job than most on this thread.

He deserves far more respect than is being shown to him in return.

What is happening on this thread is embarassing and shameful.

You're right about DL's recent success, but bear in mind that the squad we had last season was by far the best we've had in donkeys years. That couldn't be said about the current squad given the quality we've lost. I won't slag him off, but he needs to fill some very obvious gaps. Talking a good game doesn't count - actions do.

You're right about DL's recent success, but bear in mind that the squad we had last season was by far the best we've had in donkeys years. That couldn't be said about the current squad given the quality we've lost. I won't slag him off, but he needs to fill some very obvious gaps. Talking a good game doesn't count - actions do.

I agree that actions count but unless I've been in a coma and it's now December, the action hasn't actually started yet.

As for last season's squad, at the risk of repeating myself we've only lost 4 good players and replaced 1 of them.

The rest was dross.

Of course, those who want to slaughter the most successful manager we've had since the mid 80's like to ignore that fact and bleat on about the fact we've apparently lost 35 billion first team star players (who would win the Golden Boot, player of the year, rear of the year and 378 caps for their country if only Danny would play them) and replaced them with a small pigeon with a slight chest infection named Angus .

I agree that actions count but unless I've been in a coma and it's now December, the action hasn't actually started yet.

As for last season's squad, at the risk of repeating myself we've only lost 4 good players and replaced 1 of them.

The rest was dross.

Of course, those who want to slaughter the most successful manager we've had since the mid 80's like to ignore that fact and bleat on about the fact we've apparently lost 35 billion first team star players (who would win the Golden Boot, player of the year, rear of the year and 378 caps for their country if only Danny would play them) and replaced them with a small pigeon with a slight chest infection named Angus .

I was disappointed when Danny signed Angus, but he'll doo.

Not strictly true. In 07/08 we had 41 points - the same as last year - and that was with 3 games against Rangers instead of 3 games against Dundee. I've said it numerous times. Comparing points tallys from last seasons to seasons with Rangers is in the league is pointless. The average points tally of every team went up, as a side who won the majority of their games was replaced by a side who lost the majority of their games. Hence why despite amassing 41 points, we still finished 11th, 3 points behind 10th.

I think the major bug bear of most fans about the way the club has went about their business this year is this. We went into this summer from a real position of strength compared to the rest of the league. We had stability, our manager has more SPL experience than half of the leagues managers combined. Only Neil Lennon and Terry Butcher have been in their jobs longer. We had retained the core of our squad that won the league. The top 4 players from the fans POTY poll had signed new deals, could any other club in the league say that? No.

We had just had a season of virtually unprecedented turnover. We were lucky enough to draw two home games against Celtic in the SPL. Not only that, but we got 4 home draws in the early rounds of both cups against smaller teams - had these been away the club would have made less money. Of course, there's more. In the Quarter Final of the Scottish Cup we draw Celtic. TV game, big gate, money spinner.

Not nearly done yet. We get a split of a 7,600 gate from the quarter final of the League Cup at Pittodrie, which of course we win. The semi final is yet another money spinning game against Celtic at Hampden. We get TV revenue and a split of a 24,000 Hampden gate. If we had lost that, it would still have been an excellent season in terms of turnover. Of course, we never. We win, we march on to the final. More TV revenue and this time a split of a whopping 44,000 gate, plus the prize money from winning the thing!

In a nut shell: This summer we had retained our best players, our manager was going into the window as one of the most experienced in the league and we had just had the most lucrative season in the clubs history. The majority of the rest of the league was in trouble of some kind, whether that be managerial upheaval, squad upheaval, financial turmoil or all three.

Why then, is there such negativity about the place a week and a half before kick off? Because the club has - for whatever reason - failed to kick on. Not only have we failed to kick on, we have actually went backwards.

The squad has been decimated without replacements of an equivalent standard brought in. I was supportive of the release/termination of Guy, Imrie, Parkin and Carey because i believed better players were going to be brought in their stead. How wrong i was.

The squad now is in a far worse position than it was 12 weeks ago. I'm sure even the most ardent happy clapper would agree with that. Does anyone know the reason for this? Because given what we turned over last year, it certainly doesn't make any sense to me.

Not strictly true. In 07/08 we had 41 points - the same as last year - and that was with 3 games against Rangers instead of 3 games against Dundee. I've said it numerous times. Comparing points tallys from last seasons to seasons with Rangers is in the league is pointless. The average points tally of every team went up, as a side who won the majority of their games was replaced by a side who lost the majority of their games. Hence why despite amassing 41 points, we still finished 11th, 3 points behind 10th.

I think the major bug bear of most fans about the way the club has went about their business this year is this. We went into this summer from a real position of strength compared to the rest of the league. We had stability, our manager has more SPL experience than half of the leagues managers combined. Only Neil Lennon and Terry Butcher have been in their jobs longer. We had retained the core of our squad that won the league. The top 4 players from the fans POTY poll had signed new deals, could any other club in the league say that? No.

We had just had a season of virtually unprecedented turnover. We were lucky enough to draw two home games against Celtic in the SPL. Not only that, but we got 4 home draws in the early rounds of both cups against smaller teams - had these been away the club would have made less money. Of course, there's more. In the Quarter Final of the Scottish Cup we draw Celtic. TV game, big gate, money spinner.

Not nearly done yet. We get a split of a 7,600 gate from the quarter final of the League Cup at Pittodrie, which of course we win. The semi final is yet another money spinning game against Celtic at Hampden. We get TV revenue and a split of a 24,000 Hampden gate. If we had lost that, it would still have been an excellent season in terms of turnover. Of course, we never. We win, we march on to the final. More TV revenue and this time a split of a whopping 44,000 gate, plus the prize money from winning the thing!

In a nut shell: This summer we had retained our best players, our manager was going into the window as one of the most experienced in the league and we had just had the most lucrative season in the clubs history. The majority of the rest of the league was in trouble of some kind, whether that be managerial upheaval, squad upheaval, financial turmoil or all three.

Why then, is there such negativity about the place a week and a half before kick off? Because the club has - for whatever reason - failed to kick on. Not only have we failed to kick on, we have actually went backwards.

The squad has been decimated without replacements of an equivalent standard brought in. I was supportive of the release/termination of Guy, Imrie, Parkin and Carey because i believed better players were going to be brought in their stead. How wrong i was.

The squad now is in a far worse position than it was 12 weeks ago. I'm sure even the most ardent happy clapper would agree with that. Does anyone know the reason for this? Because given what we turned over last year, it certainly doesn't make any sense to me.

Good post,did you copy and paste this from the PM I sent you?

The stuff about best points tally / best league position in past 2 decades, etc is a bit disinegenuous.

Danny Lennon inherited his position at St. Mirren from a manager who had also just achieved the club's best tally / league position in 2 decades!

The fact is that Lennon has been here 3 seasons and last season finished as the 10th placed non Old Firm club - equalling our worst top flight showing in 25 years!

Yes we won the League Cup. That was amazing. But we did it despite the manager. It was a fluke. Our league record shows the real ability of Danny Lennon.

The fact is that neither Lennon nor Tommy Craig know what they are doing!

The stuff about best points tally / best league position in past 2 decades, etc is a bit disinegenuous.

Danny Lennon inherited his position at St. Mirren from a manager who had also just achieved the club's best tally / league position in 2 decades!

The fact is that Lennon has been here 3 seasons and last season finished as the 10th placed non Old Firm club - equalling our worst top flight showing in 25 years!

Yes we won the League Cup. That was amazing. But we did it despite the manager. It was a fluke. Our league record shows the real ability of Danny Lennon.

"the 10th placed non Old Firm club" ?

How do you equate finishing 10 places behind one Old Firm club and 26 places ahead of the other?

Now I suggest that hasn't happened for a very long time.

How many points did we take off Rangers in their last season?

How many did we take off Dundee last season?

So now we've shown Rangers' absence to be a red herring let's move on.....

Your financial information neatly ignores the rather obvious drop in attendances week in week out.

A single Cup win isn't going to completely change that.

The TV money also went down. You've ignored that.

The top league doesn't have a sponsor this year either. You've ignored that.

Our season ticket sales are down on last year. You've ignored that.

Our home attendances are probably likely to drop a bit as well. You've not even considered budgeting for that.

Finally, phew, without Rangers, we'll see further drops in attendances for the next 2 years. You've ignored that as well.

Take ALL of that into consideration and then maybe MAYBE I'll take you seriously when you talk about how much money our club has.

To be honest it sounds like you're yet another clueless cuckoo land living footy fan who hasn't the slightest idea about anything.

This was fun. Can we play again tomorrow?

we won the league cup despite some being unhappy that danny won one more cup than gus, and i hardly think beating aberdeen,celtic and hearts on the way to winning a trophy is a fluke.

FWIW i don't see any point in comparing 2 different managers who had different teams and different backroom staff who all played teams with different players in them, same squads, same time, same backroom staff just different managers - now i can see the point in comparing that, except that can never happen

"the 10th placed non Old Firm club" ?

How do you equate finishing 10 places behind one Old Firm club and 26 places ahead of the other?

Now I suggest that hasn't happened for a very long time.

isa's statement does seem rather strange, where the hell does someone drag up a statistic like "10th placed non old firm club" sounds like one of the journalists who were justifying the wrongdoings in govan - by using gibberish

I was disappointed when Danny signed Angus, but he'll doo.

Angus joined us from Norwich City (think about it) because he was well down the pecking order.

On his way up here he got pulled over with his girlfriend for speeding and is due in front of the beak next week.

Apparently he was rushing her to get her to a friends hen party on time.

I'm going to have to stop before I literally rupture my spleen with all this top quality hilarity.

Edited by oaksoft

MATCH REPORT / REPORT: QUEEN OF THE SOUTH 4-2 ST MIRREN

Report: Queen of the South 4-2 St Mirren

JULY 24, 2013 BY ADMIN

By Stuart Gillespie at Palmerston Park

Four is not Saints favourite number in pre-season. For the third friendly in a row they conceded four goals as their losing friendly run continued against Queen of the South this evening.

The Doonhamers deservedly enjoyed a half-time lead thanks to Stephen McKennas volley but it looked as if Saints would take control when Gary Harkins brought them level at the start of the second half.

But they were level for only a few minutes when Danny Grainger was short with a header back to Christopher Dilo and the keeper brought down Gavin Reilly, Michael Paton scoring from the spot.

Another terrific goal had Saints level again as Gary Teale chipped Callum Antel, but in the last 20 minutes Queens took control with Derek Lyle bagging a brace while he and others passed up plenty of chances to make the win far more convincing than 4-2.

Dilo had started in goal with David Cornell injured, fellow new signings Harkins and Dillon also in from the off. Grainger played on the left of midfield in a 3-5-2, with Thomas Reilly joining Steven Thompson up front.

Queens looked brighter in the opening stages, a few attacks coming to nothing before Michael Patons fierce shot smacked off Saints skipper Jim Goodwin and went behind. Dilo then tipped a fine Paton free-kick onto the bar for a corner, from which McKenna looped a shot over the top. A terrific ball from Harkins out to David van Zanten allowed the fullback to get in a cross to Steven Thompson for a rare Saints chance, but the pass was maybe a bit behind the big striker and he had to readjust himself before seeing his shot blocked.

The home side were looking by far the livelier in attack and should have been in front when Lee Mairs pass was blocked by Paul Burns and ran through for Gavin Reilly, but the youngsters shot was well kept out by Dilo. His opposite number Callum Antell was tested for the first time moments later when he had to parry away a deflected Harkins shot before Queens took the lead. Iain Russell made himself some space on the left before crossing for McKenna to volley past Dilo for the opener. The midfielders late run wasnt tracked by the Saints defence, giving him all the time he needed to put his side into a deserved lead.

Saints tried to respond, van Zanten crossing for Thompson but he was always stretching for the ball. Russell blasted over from a good position as Queens looked for a second but Saints best spell of the half then followed, Thompson knocking the ball down for Reilly to produce a volley that was blocked. The corner was cleared back to Grainger and when his cross was headed back across goal by Darren McGregor it looked as if Marc McAusland would fire in the equaliser, only for his fierce volley to rattle the post and somehow bounce away to safety. As the half came to a close McKenna went close to a second, his shot fizzing past Dilos right hand post.

Half-Time: Queen of the South 1-0 St Mirren

Gary Teale and Sean Kelly replaced McAusland and Mair at the break and it was the younger of the subs that nearly brought Saints level within seconds of the restart, Kelly stinging the palms of Antell after a fine run and pass from Dillon. The travelling support didnt have to wait too much longer for the equaliser though, Teale slipping the ball through to Harkins who beat two men and drew Harkins before slotting the ball home at the near post.

Parity lasted less than five minutes. After some confusion Grainger was woefully short with his header back to Dilo and was intercepted by Gavin Reilly. He tried to go round the Saints goalie and was promptly brought to the ground by the Frenchman, who was booked before Paton slotted away the penalty to put Queens back in front. More poor defending gave Paton a chance to make it three soon after but Dilo got down well to hold the shot.

Queens then used all their subs aside from their back-up keeper and it was one of the new players that nearly put them further in front, Dan Orsi going on a fine run before his shot across goal went wide. It was to prove costly as a few minutes later Saints were level again, Teale collecting the ball before producing a fantastic lob over Antell that dropped into the net in slow motion to have the Saints fans singing the traditional song.

Queens had a chance to restore their lead immediately when Dan Carmichael was sent through but his shot was well kept out by Dilo. It was merely a reprieve, Carmichael playing the ball through to Derek Lyle who nutmegged the Saints goalie to have Queens in front once more. They werent content with that lead either, Carmichael lifting the ball over the top as they went looking for a killer fourth.

In the final 10 minutes Saints went looking for their third equaliser of the night. Harkins sent Teale scurrying away down the right and he cut in before aiming for the far post, Antell turning the shot behind for a corner. McGregor then had a header cleared off the line by Lyle before young Jon Scullion on for Thompson - saw his close range shot deflected behind for a corner.

As they pushed for a goal the Buddies were liable to be caught on the break and Chris Mitchell burst away from the tiring Grainger and pulled the ball back for Lyle, only for the striker to somehow put his shot wide. With a couple of minutes left he redeemed himself, Orsi this time pulling the ball back and Lyle made no mistake from close range to seal a deserved win for the Doonhamers.

Full-Time: Queen of the South 4-2 St Mirren

Queen of the South: Antell, McGuffie, Higgins, Young (McShane 56), Durnan, Dowie, McKenna, Burns, Reilly, Paton, Russell.

Subs Not Used: Holt, Mitchell, Carmichael, Slattery, Lyle, Orsi, Atkinson (GK).

St Mirren: Dilo, van Zanten, McAusland (Kelly 46), McGregor, Dillon, Goodwin, Mair (Teale 46), Harkins, Thompson (Scullion 74), Trialist, Reilly.

Subs Not Used: Naismith, Brady, Yaqub, K. Hughes (GK).

Referee: Calum Murray.

Assistant Referee: Brian Templeton.

Assistant Referee: Stuart MacMillan.

Attendance TVC

Copy & paste & still needed an edit!? Total Buffoon!