St. Mirren League Cup Disasters Xi

Last season & 2010 aside Saints have never really done well in the League Cup so, along with last night's debacle, here are the League Cup first XI horror shows. Feel free to add your own and/or a memory or two of these nightmares:-

Hamilton 1979-80

Hearts 1982-83

Clydebank 1983-84 (this was in the group stages & wasn't a staright knockout but it was still a shocker)

Cowdenbeath 1984-85

Forfar 1986-87

St. Johnstone 1987-88

Stirling Albion 2001-02 (decided to forego seeing PJ Harvey at the Barras that night & went to Forthbank. What was I thinking?!)

Forfar 2005-06

East Fife 2007-08

Dunfermline 2008-09

Queen of the South 2013-14

Not great memories tbh

Next time Saints are up in Forfar can someone check to see if my scarf is still in the away dug-out or if Miller took it with him after removing it from his face.

Don't remember much of the the Cowdenbeath game but i'll never forget the police cordon with the hungry looking Alsatians.

Hamilton was just too bizarre 3-0 up in the first away leg and still managed to lose on penalties at home.

Rangers in the semi-final first leg at Ibrox also springs to mind 2-0 up and cruising, somehow managed to lose 3-2 and just couldn't score at Love Street against 14 men in the second leg.

Stirling Albion 2001-02 (decided to forego seeing PJ Harvey at the Barras that night & went to Forthbank. What was I thinking?!)

PJ Harvey?

I am not familiar with this performer but his/her name would suggest some variety act performed in nightwear or pyjama's if you will.

What will we have next....Onesy Smith? Nightdress Nicholl? Basque Balingal?

These days I often forfeit doctors appointments for the football but at my age you have to forfeit a doctors appointment just to go to the shops!

what about one of the great nights . it was in the 70s I think I witnessed rangers 0 st. mirren 4 ally Mcloud getting all 4 goals . what a night

I'm working from memory here but was the score no 1-4 and were we not still eliminated with a 5-4 aggregate after us losing 0-4 at Love Street?

Edited by stlucifer

PJ Harvey?

I am not familiar with this performer but his/her name would suggest some variety act performed in nightwear or pyjama's if you will.

What will we have next....Onesy Smith? Nightdress Nicholl? Basque Balingal?

These days I often forfeit doctors appointments for the football but at my age you have to forfeit a doctors appointment just to go to the shops!

Has anyone ever told you that you're really amusing?

what about one of the great nights . it was in the 70s I think I witnessed rangers 0 st. mirren 4 ally Mcloud getting all 4 goals . what a night

I've been waiting for this day.........

1972....League Cup Section 3....A.....Ib*ox...Ra*gers 1 SMFC 4 (FOUR)

http://www.londonhearts.com/scores/images/1972/1972082301.htm

http://stmirrenprogrammes.co.uk/StMirren/STM_Match_Details.php?Season=1972&GameID=1349

Super Ally,Super Ally.......

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ally_McLeod

http://www.stmirren.info/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/People/AllyMcLeod.jpg

This game was the 1st time I had seen Saints beat either of the OF.We had beaten Ra*gers at Love St in 1968 but I was deemed too young to attend such a big game.:(

School was brilliant the next day.:)

Not great memories tbh

Next time Saints are up in Forfar can someone check to see if my scarf is still in the away dug-out or if Miller took it with him after removing it from his face.

Don't remember much of the the Cowdenbeath game but i'll never forget the police cordon with the hungry looking Alsatians.

Hamilton was just too bizarre 3-0 up in the first away leg and still managed to lose on penalties at home.

Rangers in the semi-final first leg at Ibrox also springs to mind 2-0 up and cruising, somehow managed to lose 3-2 and just couldn't score at Love Street against 14 men in the second leg.

The Rangers game wasn't a semi final. We did play them in the semi final around that time but that was when we drew 2-2 at home and then suffered a massive injustice in the 2nd leg at Ibrox, losing 2-1 after leading 1-0. Before the 2010 final that would have been my worst league cup memory, although I was at Forfar for the 5-1 defeat under Alex Miller and that was a shocker.

The Rangers game wasn't a semi final. We did play them in the semi final around that time but that was when we drew 2-2 at home and then suffered a massive injustice in the 2nd leg at Ibrox, losing 2-1 after leading 1-0. Before the 2010 final that would have been my worst league cup memory, although I was at Forfar for the 5-1 defeat under Alex Miller and that was a shocker.

Two major injustices as I remember it although I was pretty young at the time.

A stonewall penalty denied and an OG by Rangers that was disallowed for offside, either would have pit us 2-0 up at the time!!!

Edited by WeeBud

Has anyone ever told you that you're really amusing?

Not for some time Mr Suede Shoes but I would hazard a guess from your tone (that I am pretending to hear) that you would not find that surprising in the least.

We are all feeling the pain of our team's current situation and it is how one allows the pain of it all to manifest itself that is a measure of the mental state of the man/woman. Personally I have seen this before many times and whilst I do lay awake at night worrying about my team (because that is what we supporters do and because I sleep a lot in the afternoons) I am able to function as a human being without being snappy/aggressive/unpleasant/mean toward my fellow forum user's. As people of my generation were taught "keep calm and carry on". Those who do allow such events to manifest themselves in such a manner tend to be less mentally stable and as a rule, less happy.

Calm yourself down my pint sized valued forum friend. One way or another this will work itself out and we will live on happily riding the emotional rollercoaster that is being a supporter of the Paisley club.

Not for some time Mr Suede Shoes but I would hazard a guess from your tone (that I am pretending to hear) that you would not find that surprising in the least.

We are all feeling the pain of our team's current situation and it is how one allows the pain of it all to manifest itself that is a measure of the mental state of the man/woman. Personally I have seen this before many times and whilst I do lay awake at night worrying about my team (because that is what we supporters do and because I sleep a lot in the afternoons) I am able to function as a human being without being snappy/aggressive/unpleasant/mean toward my fellow forum user's. As people of my generation were taught "keep calm and carry on". Those who do allow such events to manifest themselves in such a manner tend to be less mentally stable and as a rule, less happy.

Calm yourself down my pint sized valued forum friend. One way or another this will work itself out and we will live on happily riding the emotional rollercoaster that is being a supporter of the Paisley club.

You’re comment on a musical artist & the painfully unfunny comment in the name of comedy is what forced me to ask the question. Bugger all to do with how Saints are these days. This is a thread about past misfortunes & memories. That was a particular memory for me to which you tried to be funny and failed miserably. Okay-dokay?

Anyway. How is Flo these days?

Edited by Howard Hughes in BlueSuedeShoes

Two major injustices as I remember it although I was pretty young at the time.

A stonewall penalty denied and an OG by Rangers that was disallowed for offside, either would have pit us 2-0 up at the time!!!

You forgot about the John MacDonald penalty.

I was talking about this game the other day in a discussion about how corrupt Scottish football was in those days.

2-2 at Love St in the first game. 1-0 up at Ibrox, then we had a goal controversially disallowed for offside, then Lex Richardson rounded Jim Stewart and only had to roll the ball into the empty net when Colin Jackson barged him in the back (the ref - George Smith from Edinburgh? - decided this wasn't a penalty!). Rangers scored 2 in the last 10mins or so, the first a penalty when John MacDonald (a universally accepted diver) went down.

That Rangers team were absolute sh*te but still managed to win some cups during the John Greig era, mainly due to friendly officiating, suspiciously kind cup draws and a curious lack of media scrutiny.

I was talking about this game the other day in a discussion about how corrupt Scottish football was in those days.

2-2 at Love St in the first game. 1-0 up at Ibrox, then we had a goal controversially disallowed for offside, then Lex Richardson rounded Jim Stewart and only had to roll the ball into the empty net when Colin Jackson barged him in the back (the ref - George Smith from Edinburgh? - decided this wasn't a penalty!). Rangers scored 2 in the last 10mins or so, the first a penalty when John MacDonald (a universally accepted diver) went down.

That Rangers team were absolute sh*te but still managed to win some cups during the John Greig era, mainly due to friendly officiating, suspiciously kind cup draws and a curious lack of media scrutiny.

It was corrupt there's no doubt about it.

You could tell what team Rangers would get once it reached 1/4 finals stage.

Always the weakest looking team at home and they still needed help from officals.

I remember Forfar twice were cheated by this lot.

One was a semi-final at Hampden and the tv were there.

30 secs to go a Forfar player was pole axed to the ground in Rangers penalty area.

The biggest stone waller you ever saw on par with ours at Ibrox.

But the BBC just skipped it after the game when it was the only talking point about the game which finished 0-0.

Going back to our semi-final only wee Jimmy Sanderson spoke out on Radio Clyde.

He said St Mirren were cheated pure and simple.

He said it two years later as well

• 11 months later...

Funnily enough , today is the 40th anniversary of our worst league cup performance in my memory. The stage was set for us to qualify for the quarter finals with a home victory over Airdrie , who we had beaten 1-0 at Broomfield the previous week. It was a beautiful day , a shirt sleeved crowd and we lost 6-0 ! Good old Saints !

Funnily enough , today is the 40th anniversary of our worst league cup performance in my memory. The stage was set for us to qualify for the quarter finals with a home victory over Airdrie , who we had beaten 1-0 at Broomfield the previous week. It was a beautiful day , a shirt sleeved crowd and we lost 6-0 ! Good old Saints !

Remember it well.

Good old Saints, build ye up then boot ye in the baws lol.gif

Gotta love them icon12.gif

I did some analysis on rangers 1979 - 1986 a couple of years ago (very sad i know)

in the league they were only the 4th most successful side in Scotland with a big gap between them and the top 3 of Aberdeen, Celtic and Dundee united. St. Mirren were 5th and we only averaged 2 points per season less than rangers.

yet, despite this, during that period, rangers reached more cup finals than any other club in Scotland, 10 in total, and won 4 of them

lets put this into perspective

during that period of 7 years they were only marginally better than st. Mirren in the league...

yet they won twice as many cups in those 7 years than saints had managed in over 100 years up to that point and reached twice as many finals

dodgy refereeing wasn't able to be substained over a league campaign

but it enough to help them out in the cups