St Mirren V Motherwell 14/09/2013

insaintee

Most of what the game was about has been written. Really fear relagation this year as this French striker is no where near the grade of quality needed in the SPL. Too much responsability is being put on Thomo. I sit near the dug out and yesterday Tommy Craig lost the plot to comments coming from the stand. Tommy was not out of order but you could tell this is a man under real pressure. Tommy said to the surrounding fans 'be patient ' Then when Granger was substatuted he throw his water bottle in anger into the dugout.

Was nice to see the fans rallying around our players as the walked off the park by clapping and telling the lads to keep the heads up , well done if you were one of these fans

I know it sounds petty but the thing that pissed me of yesterday was the throw ins! People just standing about thinking "ach someone else will get it", Newton was the only one who bothered his arse to move for the ball!

That cannot be Lennons fault - the players must take on some if the blame here.

I know it sounds petty but the thing that pissed me of yesterday was the throw ins! People just standing about thinking "ach someone else will get it", Newton was the only one who bothered his arse to move for the ball!

That cannot be Lennons fault - the players must take on some if the blame here.

Exactly why we need a manager in who will get more out the players, the players look beat before anyone has even kicked a ball.

Most of what the game was about has been written. Really fear relagation this year as this French striker is no where near the grade of quality needed in the SPL. Too much responsability is being put on Thomo. I sit near the dug out and yesterday Tommy Craig lost the plot to comments coming from the stand. Tommy was not out of order but you could tell this is a man under real pressure. Tommy said to the surrounding fans 'be patient ' Then when Granger was substatuted he throw his water bottle in anger into the dugout.

Was nice to see the fans rallying around our players as the walked off the park by clapping and telling the lads to keep the heads up , well done if you were one of these fans

Grainger was seriously lacking support front and back. Doesn't defend his piss awful corners or the free kick from hell, but he was basically himself all game. Covering two, no options ahead, looking to cross and finding ST standing on top of him.

Pity you'd rather post about me than St Mirren on a St Mirren forum sad.png

Perhaps i should create a Lex forum just for you?

Don't flatter yourself.

Just some advice to try and save your keyboard from being flooded with tears.

As for the forum idea. Don't bother someone has beaten you to it.

http://clown-forum.com/

Edited by FTOF

I sat behind the dugout yesterday and witnessed the Tommy Craig rant. To be honest I thought he was 100% right. We played some good passing football at times but just lack the dig and punch up front (and i'm not getting at anyone in particular) though I don't like the tippy tappy from the goalie either.

I thought we worked hard and there were more positives out of the game than negatives (result excepted).

Thought we deserved a draw.

I was one of the few shouting encouragement - the guys heads were down and trudged of the park at half time after puting in a good shift then getting hit with a sucker punch!

Some of the comments being said from the fans were bang out of order.

We are frustrated but as Tommy said...................BE PATIENT!!

COYS!

Edited by oscar

Grainger was seriously lacking support front and back. Doesn't defend his piss awful corners or the free kick from hell, but he was basically himself all game. Covering two, no options ahead, looking to cross and finding ST standing on top of him.

He's a left back as he hasn't got the legs for wing back.

He was totally fecked in the first half and was struggling to get back

I thought he was carrying an injury as he had little energy

I thought that the trio of McGregor, Grainger and Harkins on the left didn't work well at all.

McGregor individually defended well and didn't look out of place despite his recent injuries. Hopefully his confidence and strength will grow and he'll get his career back on track.

Harkins was mediocre in my opinion. He had moments where you could see he's a good player, but far too often the simple ball is ignored (contributing to Grainger's poor game) and the extra touches at times break the little pace we have in a counter attacking move. Defensively I think he was the main reason for the above trio not working as well as Teale, McGowan and McAusland (despite the former two having one mistake that cost the goal). Motherwell had a lot more success down their right and if Darren hadn't had such a good game they would have had a lot more clear cut chances.

Grainger seemed to be caught between not knowing if he was a midfielder, wing back or a defender. At least in the first half he barely touched the ball. Partly because unlike on the right the simple percentage ball never went up the line and partly because the cross field ball to Teale is always looked for. Sadly whilst understanding why getting Teale on the bad is clearly a good thing it left Grainger completely out the game. A few bad touches later and everyone wants him off...

Defensively the three of them were disjointed and I think that was because Harkins wasn't shuttling between players as Motherwell moved the ball from side to side. This left McGregor picking up the player closest to goal and Grainger constantly choosing between two again contributing to his difficult day at the office.

Whilst I think Harkins has shown some promising signs and could still be a good player for us, as he has the skill and ability, the graft and the ability to defend as a team have to come first if playing in midfield. Perhaps McGinn or McLean as the left of a central 3 in midfield would have provided more balanced attacking and defensive options with some more graft.

Edited by Bart Simpson

I thought that the trio of McGregor, Grainger and Harkins on the left didn't work well at all.

McGregor individually defended well and to be didn't look out of place despite his recent injuries. Hopefully his confidence and strength will grow and he'll get his career back on track.

Harkins was mediocre in my opinion. He had moments where you could see he's a good player, but far too often the simple ball is ignored (contributing to Grainger's poor game) and the extra touches at times break the little pace we have in a counter attacking move. Defensively I think he was the main reason for the above trio not working as well as Teale, McGowan and McAusland (despite the former two having one mistake that cost the goal). Motherwell had a lot more success down their right and if Darren hadn't had such a good game they would have had a lot more clear cut chances.

Grainger seemed to be caught between not knowing if he was a midfielder, wing back or a defender. At least in the first half he barely touched the ball. Partly because unlike on the right the simple percentage ball never went up the line and partly because the cross field ball to Teale is always looked for. Sadly whilst understanding why getting Teale on the bad is clearly a good thing it left Grainger completely out the game. A few bad touches later and everyone wants him off...

Defensively the three of them were disjointed and I think that was because Harkins wasn't shuttling between players as Motherwell moved the ball from side to side. This left McGregor picking up the player closest to goal and Grainger constantly choosing between two again contributing to his difficult day at the office.

Whilst I think Harkins has shown some promising signs and could still be a good player for us, as he has the skill and ability, the graft and the ability to defend as a team have to come first if playing in midfield. Perhaps McGinn or McLean as the left of a central 3 in midfield would have provided more balanced attacking and defensive options with some more graft.

What got me is that we played 4-4-2 last season vs Well and had them. We switched to 3-5-2 and could have easily lost that night. So, Danny looks at that and starts 3-5-2...madness. McGinn would offer more, there's just no way McGowan and Harkins can both start unless you play McGowan alongside Thompson in a 3-5-2 with the ball side outside centre half realising he needs to support the wing back.

What got me is that we played 4-4-2 last season vs Well and had them. We switched to 3-5-2 and could have easily lost that night. So, Danny looks at that and starts 3-5-2...madness. McGinn would offer more, there's just no way McGowan and Harkins can both start unless you play McGowan alongside Thompson in a 3-5-2 with the ball side outside centre half realising he needs to support the wing back.

It was reasonable for Danny to try something new even if just to show the fans he knows the previous wasn't working.

It isn't easy. The thread about our best 1st 11 had no real consensus at all.

The three aspects of the 3-5-2 formation that didn't work in my opinion were the lack of shuttling to the left and use of the left wing going forward as mentioned above and how to use a second centre forward.

I thought Cornell had a good game, but would be interested to have heard the conversation post match re: the ball across goal in the first half and the header off the bar as to whether it was the defenders at fault or him.

Back three, apart from the above two instances played well. McAuland kept it simple and defended well. Goodwin despite taking the ball short one too many times played reasonably well. McGregor already mentioned.

Grainger and Harkins as above. Newton, should have shot in the first half but played well an was relativley solid as were McGowan and Teale in my opinion.

Thompson, had a thankless task. He won plenty in the air, but didn't have a lot played to feet and only a few crosses to get on the end of. Bahoken, a lot of the criticism is over the top. It takes time to adapt and he did try to move about and get involved but often didn't get the pass to feet or in front of him.

Anyway 9 points from being overtaken 1 point away from the nearest team above us and only one result away from turning the crippling lack of confidence around.

Edited by Bart Simpson

What the hell is up with Gowser ? He has been a shadow of the player he was so far this season. He looks sulky and disinterested yet he is reported to be the highest wage earner at the club. Both times when we were awarded free kicks towards the end of the match he appeared to move as far away from the locus as possible. He needs to take more responsibility and look to get on the ball more. No good having a guy who looks as if he doesn't want to know when the going gets tough.

Danny Shankly had 2 weeks to come up with a 3-5-2 formation and he cant even get the personnel right for that!

This formation SHOULD allow midfield domination yet.........Keith Lasley ran the show and not one Saints player got near him.

McGinn should have started as he would got onto Lasley and not allow him to dictate!

Harkins playing means Gowser is too deep, and having Gowser as a holding midfielder is downright stupid.

This formation also means our 2 wide players start far too deep and Teale was picking the ball up time and time again in our half. This gave him next to no chance of getting to byline.

This was not a good Motherwell side but they had chances to bury us.

His substitutions were stupid AGAIN, McGinn had to come on as we were not winning ball in midfield.

We ended up lumping it "AGAIN" to Thommo and Reilly is far too slow to pick up 2nd ball.

Manager is clueless and desperate and the Board should do the decent thing and put the feckin fans out of our misery. Get rid of him pronto

Things are looking pretty grim. Away game to Hibs next week and next home game live on tv, the crowd likely to be affected not only by a live game but poor performances.

It is pretty obvious we need to change managers now, people are voting with their feet, this usually forces the bod in to a decision.

It is quite a miserable time to be a St Mirren supporter just now.

Thanks for the cup win Danny but lets part ways and accept it hasn't worked out.

Things are looking pretty grim. Away game to Hibs next week and next home game live on tv, the crowd likely to be affected not only by a live game but poor performances.

It is pretty obvious we need to change managers now, people are voting with their feet, this usually forces the bod in to a decision.

Thanks for the cup win Danny but lets part ways and accept it hasn't worked out.

Yep only 3,000 Saints fans there yesterday. Grim

As someone who went to their first game of the season yesterday, and usually has to make do with 5 minute highlights or the occasional live TV game, let me tell you my thoughts.

First half I thought we looked ok, unlucky to go in 1-0 down at huge break. The 2nd half performance however, was bloody awful. We looked lost at times, and really lacking in desire.

Individually then. The keeper. Looks ok, but not great. Seems lacking in confidence and appears to be engaging in the ridiculous tactic of always trying to pass it to his defence when sometimes a hoof up the park is what's needed.

Defensively, I thought Goodwin cleared pretty much anything thrown at him. I've never seen him attack so many aerial balls. McAusland too had a solid game, not much wrong there at all. McGregor looked the shakiest of the 3 but still did ok, I actually quite liked the 3-5-2 idea. When you consider we've about a million midfielders we might as well!

Teale looked as good as normal, although fell out the game when stitched to the left. McGowan was a shadow of the player I'd expect to see, but didnt do much wrong. I just expected more from him. Grainger was, I thought, really poor. Harkins has bags of talent, but strolls around most of the time. He'd be a great player to have in a successful side, but is a luxury in a struggling team who'll be fighting relegation. Conor Newton was head & shoulders above everyone else. He's the only player who does things quickly, decisively, and gets stuck in. He also has loads of skill, and is keen to take players on.

Up front? Really disappointing. Bahoken doesn't look a player at all, and I can only think of one decent moment in the game from him. And Thommo, what's happened to you? Steven looked like he wasn't really trying, and if he wasn't a St.Mirren fan he'd get a much harder time from the stands I reckon.

None of the subs really made much difference, although Caprice looked ok.

As for the management, I'm almost list for words. I don't want to give him a hard time, but DL sat on his backside the whole game, only getting up to give the ball back to Well players at throw ins. The substitution of Caprice showed the confusion about the way things are done. He came on for Grainger, went left wing, then within 5mins, he switched with Teale. Why?? Why, if that was the idea, wasn't that decided at the switch? Teale then fell out of things.

Yesterday just wasn't good enough, but the surprising thing is that there wasn't much anger, much booing, just apathy. And when that sets in, we're truly f**ked.

Anyone who doesn't think that was a better all round performance today is kidding themselves.

I agree. Reading over the posts on this thread since full-time yesterday you have to wonder if some of those posting were at the same game I was.

Two weeks ago after the Thistle game I was on here berating the manager and the team for another pathetic, gutless performance. I still believe that DL has to go because he has been in charge during our worst spell of results in years, with the Cup victory only masking just how bad we had become. But the fans' mini-revolt over the past 2 weeks has sent a loud-and-clear message to the manager and players that enough is enough and things must change.

Yesterday's display was, in my opinion, a first small step in the right direction. Yes another defeat, 3 more points pissed away, but there were certainly positives to take from it.

I thought McGregor and McAusland both had blinders - criticism of Cheesy's performance from earlier posters is just bizarre. We passed the ball about better than previously and didn't lack effort. There was much more heart and urgency on display yesterday. After looking like a lost boy for the first half-hour Bahoken suddenly burst into the game and has convinced me that he may have something special to offer us.

A few earlier posters have pointed out that Motherwell didn't even play well to get the 3 points - maybe our guys had something to do with the quality of their performance.

We have problems and mistakes are still being made. Confidence is obviously very low amongst the players, no one is willing to have a dig when the opportunity arises (Newton in particular). Teale was lost when DL switched him to the left side to accommodate Caprice. Grainger continues to be a disappointment and was culpable at Sutton's goal yesterday. McGowan is invisible.

An improved display but only 1 point from 5 games paints a bleak picture. After yesterday I would imagine that DL's coat peg is even shooglier than it was and he desperately needs a couple of wins from our next 3 games otherwise I expect him to be sacked before October.

Yep only 3,000 Saints fans there yesterday. Grim

If we have another poor performance at Easter Road next week, what do you think the crowd will be against Aberdeen?

I agree. Reading over the posts on this thread since full-time yesterday you have to wonder if some of those posting were at the same game I was.

Two weeks ago after the Thistle game I was on here berating the manager and the team for another pathetic, gutless performance. I still believe that DL has to go because he has been in charge during our worst spell of results in years, with the Cup victory only masking just how bad we had become. But the fans' mini-revolt over the past 2 weeks has sent a loud-and-clear message to the manager and players that enough is enough and things must change.

Yesterday's display was, in my opinion, a first small step in the right direction. Yes another defeat, 3 more points pissed away, but there were certainly positives to take from it.

I thought McGregor and McAusland both had blinders - criticism of Cheesy's performance from earlier posters is just bizarre. We passed the ball about better than previously and didn't lack effort. There was much more heart and urgency on display yesterday. After looking like a lost boy for the first half-hour Bahoken suddenly burst into the game and has convinced me that he may have something special to offer us.

A few earlier posters have pointed out that Motherwell didn't even play well to get the 3 points - maybe our guys had something to do with the quality of their performance.

We have problems and mistakes are still being made. Confidence is obviously very low amongst the players, no one is willing to have a dig when the opportunity arises (Newton in particular). Teale was lost when DL switched him to the left side to accommodate Caprice. Grainger continues to be a disappointment and was culpable at Sutton's goal yesterday. McGowan is invisible.

An improved display but only 1 point from 5 games paints a bleak picture. After yesterday I would imagine that DL's coat peg is even shooglier than it was and he desperately needs a couple of wins from our next 3 games otherwise I expect him to be sacked before October.

That's the big problem in our current situation.

A half decent performance, lost in the deluge of poor performances and next to nothing to show for the season so far.

Hard to see what can lift us out of this slump.

A lucky win might help, that seems to be out best bet.

Very painful for the paying punters, results mean everything and we can't buy one.