St Mirren V Aberdeen Top League 30/9/13

shull

Thought Sean Kelly and Dilo were fantastic tonight. As were Mair and McGregor for the most part, they look a far more accomplished pairing than Goody and Cheesy at the back.

Please, please, please Danny... DO NOT CHANGE THIS TEAM FOR THE GAME ON SATURDAY. If Grainger comes right back in and Kelly is benched i will.... be very disappointed.

The same applies with Grainger and McAusland, to be honest.

I don't think McAusland has done a great deal wrong, and think he would have benefited from playing amongst Mair as opposed to Goodwin, so perhaps a little unlucky on that account, but no - one who started tonight deserves to be dropped. Possibly Teale for Newton, but that would be tactical.

I enjoyed the game, it was a real battle. I know there has been a lot of people (me included) questioning whether the players were still fighting for their manager and our club, on tonight's evidence they are.

There was a few mistakes but I believe they are probably a result of the lack of confidence that the team is currently struggling with.

I liked the keeper, thought Sean Kelly was great, he had a wobble midway through the first half but knuckled down and kept plugging away, he was great defensively and willing pass the ball out from the back. MacGregor and Mair battled away and other than the Hansen/Miller moment were solid enough. The midfield all battled well, I know dropping Teale was a weird one but Newton worked his socks off, as did Goodwin, McGinn was good though did look to be tiring and struggled with a couple of his clearances though I think bring on Bahoken was the wrong switch.

Thommo was phenomenal, won everything in the air and ran himself into the ground, well deserved of his goal. I still expect a wee bit more from Gowser but he didn't shy away as usual was always looking for the ball.

A much better performance, can only be good for the team spirit!

Players playing in their right positions makes one hell of a difference!!

Ach away & f**k yourself. That was a good hard game.some decent play . Draw about right result.

Decent play? Seriously?

For the neutral the game was boring low quality trash. Billy Stark even said so at half time. Little creativity and not much skill. If Tam Cowan thinks this is more watch-able than girls football he's seriously misguided.

That should be the only change for Saturday...Teale in for 1 of Newton, McLean or McGinn.

However we had to be hard to beat tonight, that was an Aberdeen team on a roll. They hadn't conceded in 5 games or something.

Why would you change what was effectively our best performance of the season?

Teale is an excellent player but I get the feeling that Conor is there to protect DVZ which isn't Teale's strength tbh.

Exactly the same required for Saturday. Frustrate Hearts, snap at them in the middle and wait for our chance to take the game to them. Make no mistake, this will be a hostile atmosphere on Saturday and Locke (knob that he is) will have his mob ford up for this. Take the sting out of them in the first 20 mins and take the crowd out of it. A draw wouldn't be the worst result and would keep some distance between us and them whilst inching us closer to the teams above us.

I guess you would be happy if he signed for us then? Going by your description of him, he seems to be similar to players who you would have loved to have seen in the stripes in the past - James Grady and Paul Hartley for example.

Grady and Hartley were good football players.

Hayes is a nobody.

Why would you change what was effectively our best performance of the season?

Teale is an excellent player but I get the feeling that Conor is there to protect DVZ which isn't Teale's strength tbh.

Exactly the same required for Saturday. Frustrate Hearts, snap at them in the middle and wait for our chance to take the game to them. Make no mistake, this will be a hostile atmosphere on Saturday and Locke (knob that he is) will have his mob ford up for this. Take the sting out of them in the first 20 mins and take the crowd out of it. A draw wouldn't be the worst result and would keep some distance between us and them whilst inching us closer to the teams above us.

Meh...certainly wouldn't complain if its kept the same, but the only change that should be contemplated is bringing Teale back in, nobody else.

Hearts are at home and will come at us for the 3 points, we have nobody better at playing on the counter than Teale. Move Newton inside one, and we are still as solid.

Young Dilo looked very assured yet again.

Kelly had a very solid game, very pleasing stuff from the young boy.

We just looked far more solid in the centre of defence, well barring the calamity that lead to the corner they scored from.

Goodwin is most definetly back where he belongs, he allows McGowan and McLean etc to go and do what they are good at.

Probably the best McGowan and McLean have looked all season.

Felt for Newton, he was hung out to dry yet again. How many times must he be playef as a wide midfielder before Danny learns he isn't very good there. Leave him in the middle where he shines.

Thompson looked a lot more lively which was pleasing.

He might be a nobody but he's on your radar and Maxi does have a point.

Grady and Hartley were more likely to play up to the North Bank and with a smile on their faces. ( and we all took the bait )

Hayes was chasing the Ref to demand another card for McGinn, just like Naisy.

Edited by shull

Danny survives with a gutsy draw tonight. Now onto tynecastle for another defining moment. I really hope he wins or avoids defeat. A draw will see him stay a defeat and I feel with the international break to sort it the board will change. Hope we can at least draw on sat tho. If they reduce the gap to 6 pts this early when it was 15 our arses will collapse

Danny survives with a gutsy draw tonight. Now onto tynecastle for another defining moment. I really hope he wins or avoids defeat. A draw will see him stay a defeat and I feel with the international break to sort it the board will change. Hope we can at least draw on sat tho. If they reduce the gap to 6 pts this early when it was 15 our arses will collapse

I think yours collapsed a long time ago.

Thoroughly enjoyed the game. Effort, desire, passion, it was there for all to see. No failures on the night with some big performances. Also thought the fans reaction to losing the goal was excellent. Wasn't going on Saturday after some lacklustre performances, going now. COYS

A couple of points about last night.

Good Support from both team for a Monday night game which was on the TV. Was there really 4200 there? But more importantly the fans got behind the team and urged them on instead of getting on their backs.

Also when the equalizer came. Aberdeen had a good wee spell, but I thought we fought our way back into it and at the end looked more likely to grab a winner than they did.

After watching the panic that spread through the team after the Thistle equaliser it was good to see both fight and composure (would have liked a bit more composure to be honest, but you get my point)

I think most things have been covered.

Danny was brave in not including Teale but he was obviously determined to bully the Aberdeen midfield and it worked.

We lost a bit of creativity but were able to protect the back four better.

Mair has a far better positional sense than Goodwin in defence. He played well and his marshalling of Zola was stupendous. He created the booking for the Aberdeen forward. Some might call the fall over while sneakily keeping hold of the big guy's arm "cute".whistling.gif

Deserves a lot of praise for his attitude.

All the players can hold their heads high after that battling performance, the young lads especially. We must have halfed the average age of the team last night!lol.gif

Hearts will be a different kettle of fish on Saturday and we'll need to create more though. Teale should start with the loss of young Kenny.

I think Danny will bring back Grainger as football folk seem to think ex players are talismen.

So danny G to score three and clear two off the line then?

I'm sorry to have to say this. DVZ has always been pish but he's now playing like a f**king clown. "He cannot kick with his left foot, he cannot head a ball, he cannot tackle and he doesn't score many goals. Apart from that he's all right." George Best on David Beckham/mearnssaint on DVZ

And Georgie boy got that spot on, didn't he?

Very good summary, and I wouldn't add a great deal.

The criticism of DVZ is very harsh, as I thought he done pretty well.

Dilo looks the part. Very vocal and confident for such a young keeper.

Thommo was excellent, and thoroughly deserved his goal. I thought McGinn and McLean were solid, and, as others have said, Goodwin is much better in midfield. Young Kelly showed up really well and shouldn't be dropped for the very disappointing Grainger.

For me, Mair was the stand-out. He strolled through the game, aside from the ultimately costly mix up that led to the goal. No failures tonight, but the most pleasing aspect was the commitment, spirit, and drive on display. Night and day from what we've seen up to now this season.

I hope we can push on from this. One slight negative for me, however, was that, yet again, we didn't see Danny standing in his technical area marshalling things. It was all Tommy Craig tonight, and I don't really know what to make of that.

All in all, a vast improvement, and much more encouraging than feared.

Hmm, it seems I added more than intended....

Danny did come out on a number of occasions to give instructions to players, both directly and through Tommy Craig.