St Mirren V Aberdeen Top League 30/9/13

shull

Guest somner9

What we can only ask for and rightly expect each week... a good overall performance!

Stand outs for me (running into each other apart) Mair and Mcgregor in central defence dealing with 99% of what was chucked at them, having not been paired in an spl/spfl match for what must be two years... Mair going someway to closing the book on the shameful 'Twatterati" episode the fanny boys lapped up.

Mair did what he does best, sticks to his role, zone and duties. however his achilles is and always has been decision making evidenced by being drawn into a poorly timed challenge by McGinn who done him with a quick side step and burst flashing a shot wide

McGregor coming back into form just when we so need it. That said he should have put ball and Mair in row Z when they did their 'Dolly & Daisy' act in the lead up to the goal. he was the defender in the clearing position, Mair should have been taking one for the team as a result of McGregor's clearance.

Goodwin.... thank f**k Danny saw sense and moved him out of defence. this is what he does best a holding midfield, enforcing and breaking up the play.

Danny persists with McLean who still went missing for long stretches meaning Gowser wasn't getting the ball at his feet to enable him to link with Thommo.

Better by Gowser, especially since he was played in his best position just behind the striker.

Thommo was an inspiration chasing down players in our half, challenging, committing and intimidating defenders resuting in the big costa lad getting hooked. all topped with a well worked and deserved goal.... all with Strachan watching on... does he want Kenny Miller's gig?

Young McGinn (oors) played well if a little nervy, always looking behind when he came into possesion for a pass. he just needs to go with his gut as he has the ability to pull those runs and shots.

Dilo - good performance, becoming nicely assured, confident and will only improve.... (get him on a five year deal it'll pay for itself ten times over)

Kelly - have to say immense from the TEENAGER... he had Hayes in his back pocket (which is a snug fit for the little hobbit)

Dvz - struggles to hold almost anyone off because he drops his shoulders meaning when shoved the only way he is going is downwards

Newton - too nervy/anxious last night... needs the auld yins to calm and channel his energy

You saw last night how our midfield was tightened up when Teale was left out. hard on Gary, but when you consider his strengths at getting forward, against Dvz's weaknesses at holding off/showing someone down a line you can see why Teale was benched. If DL & TC see that in the analysis then they should consider dropping another youngster in there from the off on saturday.

Teale and Dvz when played together weaken our right side

If Danny and Tommy can ease that little bit of trying to hard where needless challenges are made, and balls are not over hit then I reckon a young jambos team could be in for a sair wan on Saturday... the team should take heart from the fact that they have shown us and more importantly themselves that they are still good footballers, with ability, strength, stamina and willing to play to the teams strengths.

First game I've attended since January due to no being here and I'm happy to say it was better than I expected. The team had a bit of fight and heart, yeah there was the odd rush of blood and passes went way wards but overall it was decent enough.

Good to see Danny doing what most on here wanted and stick mair and mcgregor in again with Goodwin in front. Only. Negative to the team selection was accommodating Newton at right mid. If we have some sort of clause in the contract for him to play then he needs to play in the middle and keep teale on the right, thus meaning kenny is on the bench.

With the formation we played I think we need to have a player in the wide positions that has the ability to take a man on and that's not newtons game.

What we can only ask for and rightly expect each week... a good overall performance!

Stand outs for me (running into each other apart) Mair and Mcgregor in central defence dealing with 99% of what was chucked at them, having not been paired in an spl/spfl match for what must be two years... Mair going someway to closing the book on the shameful 'Twatterati" episode the fanny boys lapped up.

Mair did what he does best, sticks to his role, zone and duties. however his achilles is and always has been decision making evidenced by being drawn into a poorly timed challenge by McGinn who done him with a quick side step and burst flashing a shot wide

McGregor coming back into form just when we so need it. That said he should have put ball and Mair in row Z when they did their 'Dolly & Daisy' act in the lead up to the goal. he was the defender in the clearing position, Mair should have been taking one for the team as a result of McGregor's clearance.

Goodwin.... thank f**k Danny saw sense and moved him out of defence. this is what he does best a holding midfield, enforcing and breaking up the play.

Danny persists with McLean who still went missing for long stretches meaning Gowser wasn't getting the ball at his feet to enable him to link with Thommo.

Better by Gowser, especially since he was played in his best position just behind the striker.

Thommo was an inspiration chasing down players in our half, challenging, committing and intimidating defenders resuting in the big costa lad getting hooked. all topped with a well worked and deserved goal.... all with Strachan watching on... does he want Kenny Miller's gig?

Young McGinn (oors) played well if a little nervy, always looking behind when he came into possesion for a pass. he just needs to go with his gut as he has the ability to pull those runs and shots.

Dilo - good performance, becoming nicely assured, confident and will only improve.... (get him on a five year deal it'll pay for itself ten times over)

Kelly - have to say immense from the TEENAGER... he had Hayes in his back pocket (which is a snug fit for the little hobbit)

Dvz - struggles to hold almost anyone off because he drops his shoulders meaning when shoved the only way he is going is downwards

Newton - too nervy/anxious last night... needs the auld yins to calm and channel his energy

You saw last night how our midfield was tightened up when Teale was left out. hard on Gary, but when you consider his strengths at getting forward, against Dvz's weaknesses at holding off/showing someone down a line you can see why Teale was benched. If DL & TC see that in the analysis then they should consider dropping another youngster in there from the off on saturday.

Teale and Dvz when played together weaken our right side

If Danny and Tommy can ease that little bit of trying to hard where needless challenges are made, and balls are not over hit then I reckon a young jambos team could be in for a sair wan on Saturday... the team should take heart from the fact that they have shown us and more importantly themselves that they are still good footballers, with ability, strength, stamina and willing to play to the teams strengths.

Why are you calling Teale names?

Spot on with that.

Danny did come out on a number of occasions to give instructions to players, both directly and through Tommy Craig.

Fair enough, I must have missed that. Even so, in the circumstances, I would have thought he would have been more visible/animated.

Enjoyed that. Much better. Met a St Mirren supporting mate who had £100 quid on Aberdeen tonight. Dafty!

Well I can say that my betting against the Saints days are over however the winnings I collected from the Ross County, Hibs, Motherwell and Partick matches more than offset last nights loss and I was as pleased as anybody that we never lost!

By no means have we turned the corner but we've popped our head round and had a good look at what's there. Great to see youngsters getting the chance and taking it and also the levelof encouragement being given by senior pros rather than constant criticism. A draw followed by a win would give the confidence so badly needed to allow the flair players to take (measured) risks and create opportunities for Thommo, McGowan seemed happier and long may that continue!!

miles better than recent months,would struggle to say who was our best player as there were many candidates which hasn't been the case for a while ,mair and Darren looked pretty solid (apart from one blunder)but would stick with them,goodwin miles better in preferred position,sean Kelly done ok but not sure if he should play in front of grainger when he returns ,gowser and mclean done more than they have all season ,mcginn and newton probably 6/10.thommo shows what he hasn't since 17th march,more of the same please,looked pretty solid for majority of game ,but with that solidity we kind of gave up a little of our attacking play (not that we have been doing that much of late)but if we could look that solid and get teale or harkins into team somewhere we would be a much better team but this may take a few weeks / games ,but if this is a new dawn then lets look forward

A vast improvement. OK some of the performances can be better, but that would being picky. If you compare against our last outing (Hibs), we were world beaters. Our family had decided we were not going to Tynecastle as we did not feel the players were giving 100%, after last night we are going on Saturday. More of the same against Hearts please.

A vast improvement. OK some of the performances can be better, but that would being picky. If you compare against our last outing (Hibs), we were world beaters. Our family had decided we were not going to Tynecastle as we did not feel the players were giving 100%, after last night we are going on Saturday. More of the same against Hearts please.

That's a fair comment.

A case of graft over craft and is what's needed now.

Everyone of them worked their socks off last night.

Hopefully a few of them performances will get better along with their workrate.

The workrate has to be the same as last night to get future results

Just watched game again on bt..giving the ball away so easly had me shouting at the box ...the last 20 min where very frustrating to watch ..even though i new the out come i still watched it through my fingers..we all kw hearts are going to go for it so keeping the ball and not letting hearts run over us is a must..

Only one change for Tynecastle! Teale for McLean, with Newton back in the middle!

not so sure, does Jamie walker not play on the left for them, pretty sure he had a field day last time he faced Tealo and Vanzy on the right. I'd go with Newton again thought his tracking was great last night. I know it seems like a safety first approach but that's fine with me. Build from the back.

Wonder how many Aberdeen fans actually travelled from the North East .? I get annoyed hearing what a wonderful travelling support they have when we know most of them live in the central belt .

What does it matter where they live,they're still Dons fans.

Good attitude last night , all looked focused. I was heartened by everyone , the team the management , our overall approach. I like the look of our young keeper.

The whole balance of the team looked better, smoother and more comfortable. Age old problem , concentration lacking at key times and stray give away passes.

We could have wrapped that up at two nil , yet towards the end it nearly all left us again !

Last night was the nearest to a performance that I've seen from us this season

Heh hoh, take it and build on it , maybe a surprise result is on the near horizon.

Satisfied and happy to give DL a pat on the back for that , just a single pat mind you..........

Great to hear the backing from ourselves last night. Even when Aberdeen scored there was a COYS.

I for one only ask for that commitment every week.

If we don't start picking up points with the same commitment then we're just unlucky and Danny can go with his head held high.

However, with that commitment the fans' backing will come and good times will follow.

ETA: by backing, I mean atmosphere in the ground.

Edited by Bart Simpson