The Jim Goodwin Thread

I wish some of the other mid field, players had same bottle and commitment as Jim,

Bottle? He has no bottle whatsoever.

That's a shite bags way to deal with it.

If he had bottle he would have been sending out a message to the united players in crunching 50/50 challenges. Not Jim, he clouts the youngster round the back of the ear/head.

We should deal with this internally before the sfa/spfl look at it. We should fine our captain, drop him to the bench and accept whatever suspension he gets.

This is probably the first time I've ever disagreed with you Dave. We should stand by our own players at any cost. We all knew exactly what we were bringing in when we signed him , as I had already given him pelters for his antics when he was an Accie. Until we replace him with hopefully another ,younger , sitting midfielder then I'm right behind him when he's on the park ! You can be sure that if he was a United player, in the same circumstances , McNamara would be defending him to the hilt !

ETA. Just read a discussion between 2 Arab fans elsewhere , and they say that DUFC recently made a cash plus player bid for Goodwin , so it seems they want his antics in their team too !

Edited by billyg

McNamara has been quoted in the express as saying that Danny told him that he felt Goodwin was being singled out by refs. Now call me naive but shouldn't those kind of conversations between managers remain private? Dundee united have handled this whole affair appallingly.firstly bleating in public about our player(s), then using footage from a video which is supposed to be used for training purposes ( I'm assuming we gave them permission to film from the stand which would have been done in good faith) lastly to openly discuss what is said behind closed doors shows a total lack of respect for our football club. Mcnamaras now saying he didnt want to see anyone sent off! All this just because they lost a game of football. It's never been st mirrens style to court controversy but we must highlight the disrespectful manner in which Dundee united have treated our club and it's facilities. Of course Goodwin shouldn't have done what he did, but jeezo utd need to have a word with themselves over this. I only wish the cup game was next week as I think we have, for the moment, really rattled them.

This is probably the first time I've ever disagreed with you Dave. We should stand by our own players at any cost. We all knew exactly what we were bringing in when we signed him , as I had already given him pelters for his antics when he was an Accie. Until we replace him with hopefully another ,younger , sitting midfielder then I'm right behind him when he's on the park ! You can be sure that if he was a United player, in the same circumstances , McNamara would be defending him to the hilt !

I know what your saying mate but It's just one incident too far for me mate. We've been lucky so far with some of his crazy actions.

If he had bottle he would have been sending out a message to the united players in crunching 50/50 challenges. Not Jim, he clouts the youngster round the back of the ear/head.

This.

It was a cowards 'challenge'. In the past year as Jims legs have gone we have seen more of this creep into his game. No way for a captain to behave and we should be sending a message out.

Wonder if the views will be the same the next time Hibs or ICT kick us all over the park. If big Draper or Tudor-Jones threw an elbow at McGinn like goodwin did the outrage on here would be through the roof.

Dave , there are players like that littered throughout the game at every level. Another that comes to mind that has made a long career of it is Michael Brown , a player often delegated to stop midfield playmakers at all costs with wee off the ballers. It's all part of the game and always has been. If it becomes a non-contact sport then there may be no room for them anymore !

You can question Jim's methods but I would hazard a guess he was doing exactly the job he was asked. Young lads playing at the top of their game full of gallus bravado against a team smarting from 2 bad defeats. What did anyone expect us to do - stand off them so we could all cream our pants about the amazing Utd talent while watching them pump us off the park ? Yes it looked bad on TV and yes it was a bit of a cheap shot but the boy wasn't hurt (rubbing the back of his head WTF) and the ref saw it and took no action. He might well get a ban now but let's not underestimate the part the challenges had in winning us a vital 3 points they shat their pants after 3 hard clashes in the 1st 10 mins. It horses for courses and we need every point we can get and personally I loved the game a cracking cup tie type match easily the most thrilling of the season.

I know what your saying mate but It's just one incident too far for me mate. We've been lucky so far with some of his crazy actions.

His actions were one of the main reasons we won 4-1.

Sh*t happens, we are often at the wrong end of these things. Broony Celtic, Tokely ICT, Black Hearts etc etc.

You need a hard man in the team, when he plays hard don't get upset.

What you saying he does it every game, he was wrong on he did but you are bit OTT with this one.

To be fair i haven't seen him shite out any challenges and he also takes what he gives out.

It was a cheap shot and you can't raise your hands so no complaints when he gets his ban.

But he ain't no shitebag

I assume when any club in future asks for permission to film our games for "training purposes" that are quite rightly told to get to f**k.

As I say the intent on Goodwins behalf is certainly there, but as I also said earlier in the thread I question the actual contact. One thing is for sure, he will be hammered for even making the movement and quite rightly so. But if we are highlighting this then let's highlight the several Ciftci elbows, or the elbow from Rankin on Thommo, who was booked for complaining and was then 30 seconds later told by the ref (who had only just booked him) to go off and clean up the blood.

This is a slippery slope, if this is what Utd are resorting to I fully expect every club to send a camera crew to every game and for every decision to be challenged.

Any respect I had for Dundee Utd before this game has completely gone now. They could have said "We lost 4-1 we are disappointed. Some decision we felt we should have had went against us" and moved on. Instead McNamara has resorted to a Derek Adams style attack and the bitter little that is Dundee Utd have took to twitter, petted lip and all with a video package (which from the angle it's shot doesn't even prove any contact). Utterly, utterly desperate stuff. As I also said earlier in the thread, Gavin Gunning was suspended retrospectively after BBC highlighted an incident on TV highlights and then were quick to dish out media bans and scream from the roof tops how angry they were and how ridiculous it was....now just a few short months later they are......erm, running to the media with little (heavily edited) video packages in a desperate attmept to have an opposition player suspended. Hypocrisy of the highest order.

I can fully accept that Goodwin was in the wrong, but the actions of Utd have been despicable and only seek to avert any attention from McNamara's ridiculous post match comments.

Anyway, we will accept a 3 game ban for Goody, We still skelped that wee scumbag McNamara's darling and they are raging. Time to draw a line under the situation and move on to give the manky Jambos a spanking as well now.

Jim can dish it out but he never complains when he gets it back. Some of his fellow pro's ought to have a good look at themselves if all they can do to stop him doing his job, is pathetic attempts at getting him sent off. Why did Armstrong rub the back of his head if the impact of the forearm was in his face. He'll probably still get a three game ban after the video review, that should keep the sad bastards with their petty agenda more than happy.

Take the ban, move on. Tell Dundee United to ram their cameras up their arse next time they ask, and Danny Lennon to have a quiet chat with Jim about cutting out the silly stuff.

That should cover it, then we can crack on with finishing 200 points ahead of both Hearts and Ross County while having a run at the Scottish Cup.

Job's a good un'.

Embarresing that the club captain has to be substituted to save him from being sent off. Not for the first time either.

Never liked him as a player and I don't want him as the captain of the club

Would be surprised if he was offered a new contract in the summer

OTT again, stupid at times, refs tend to book him on first challenge in games while other players get away scots free. Same happened with Shuggie for years. Some of the posters on here want to get a grip of them selves. IMO.

Jim stands up for stmirren when did we last have a player who refused to be bullied and who was an on field leader. He is a tremendous asset and when he isn't in the team we miss his aggression badly

He will be missed until we can get a younger sitting player in.

We were getting run over in the second half until Watson got sent off.

Vanzie isn't the answer

This.

It was a cowards 'challenge'. In the past year as Jims legs have gone we have seen more of this creep into his game. No way for a captain to behave and we should be sending a message out.

Wonder if the views will be the same the next time Hibs or ICT kick us all over the park. If big Draper or Tudor-Jones threw an elbow at McGinn like goodwin did the outrage on here would be through the roof.

The big difference is we might moan like f**k on here but we don;t go running to the headmaster saying a big boy hit me and ran away.

If the SFA are going to use tv evidence then it should simply be a case of a panel sitting watching a full recording o every game for anything like this, They should not go by what is shown on tv highlights or is passed on by officials or fans of any club otherwise Lunny's inbox will be overflowing on a Monday morning

If you read today's papers United are now making it out that we kicked them all over the park for 90 minutes, that they don't want anyone sent off but do feel events like elbowing should be looked at. If that is their stance then they could have no complaints if Lunny was asked to look at some of their actions during the game.