Mclean To Ipswich?

Kenny mclean is a half decent average player for his age. hes not consistant enough for me and if he goes to England then good luck to the lad. I for one wont miss him . I also agree nowadays in football loyalty doesnt really exsist being a football player is a job and nothing more, if I was offered a job at 3 or 4 times my salary id be off like a shot who wouldn't. Kenny mclean gets dogs abuse at times by saints fans , this was the same for simon lappin who was a young lad who wasn't given a chance .

Lappin was a nice player, good movement and good delivery, he gave us some moments of great quality.

McLean is similar in so far as he is a nice player, well balanced and has core ability that will naturally be enhanced at a higher level , not to mention higher wages.

Both these players had , have, more ability and arguably less heart, unlike a lot of journeymen cloggers who are all heart and little ability.

Strange how so very often fans prefer the limited ability but all grunt and bluster type of player to a bit of quality and finesse.

Kind of sums up Scottish football I suppose.

On topic, good luck to the guy whatever , sorry whenever he decides he's leaving. DL knows as we all know Mclean ain't hanging around St MIrren beyond the season end.

Gary Johnson, the Yeovil Manager thinks any English club will have to pay £350k for Kenny McLean.

We might have to revise that figure down a bit.

http://www.falkirkherald.co.uk/sport/local-sport/mark-stewart-compensation-ruling-could-harm-falkirk-in-the-long-term-1-3346375

The Mark Stewart saga may be over after Falkirk were awarded £150,000 - but Falkirk’s pursuit of the cash could have long standing consequences.

The Court of Arbitration partially upheld the Bairns’ award appeal but sliced £60,000 off of the total as Stewart had been a Falkirk first-team player from the age of 20. The final year of his development fee was therefore withdrawn.

Kenny's the kind of player I think would be actually better suited to a higher standard of football than the SPFL Premiership.

He's a very graceful continental style midfielder, but he can be bullied out of the overly physical games we tend to get here. If he does go down to Ipswich it wouldn't surprise me if he thrives at that level.

There's not a lot of guile in the Championship.

I seem to remember Kenny Shiels saying that his son Dean would cope much better in the SPL, having failed in the Championship because he's a ball player and wouldn't get bullied so much. That transpired.

It ties in with my experience if watching the Championship. It's full of big, strong powerful lumps and is devoid of football in the main. I also can't see how playing in a Mick McCarthy side would suit his style of game.

There's not a lot of guile in the Championship.

I seem to remember Kenny Shiels saying that his son Dean would cope much better in the SPL, having failed in the Championship because he's a ball player and wouldn't get bullied so much. That transpired.

It ties in with my experience if watching the Championship. It's full of big, strong powerful lumps and is devoid of football in the main. I also can't see how playing in a Mick McCarthy side would suit his style of game.

That sounds like Sevco team this season.

My Sevco mates say he would be off his chump to go there

McCoist will end up playing him left back to punt the ball up to big Daly were their words

McLean is similar in so far as he is a nice player, well balanced and has core ability that will naturally be enhanced at a higher level , not to mention higher wages.

Both these players had , have, more ability and arguably less heart, unlike a lot of journeymen cloggers who are all heart and little ability.

I don't think I've ever seen McLean shirk a tackle or not give 100% when in a Saints shirt. He tries to play football all the time, even when it's not coming off or he's not playing well. Sadly, that's what gets fans on his back and even more sadly it's why some fans will always love a clueless trier over a good footballer.

I don't think I've ever seen McLean shirk a tackle or not give 100% when in a Saints shirt. He tries to play football all the time, even when it's not coming off or he's not playing well. Sadly, that's what gets fans on his back and even more sadly it's why some fans will always love a clueless trier over a good footballer.

Please give examples of a few clueless tryers that we have who the fans love.

I was speaking generally. I saw my first Saints game, as a bairn, in the mid 50's. If I listed all the clueless triers I've seen since then I would break the interweb thingy!!!

You don't need to name them all, just the ones that the fans loved.

Please give examples of a few clueless tryers that we have who the fans love.

Billy Mehmet.

Jim Goodwin

Stewart Kean

David Barron

St.Mirren fans have a long history of disliking talented players because they don't run around like headless chickens.

Billy Mehmet.

Jim Goodwin

Stewart Kean

David Barron

St.Mirren fans have a long history of disliking talented players because they don't run around like headless chickens.

Poor examples, IMO.

First off, are you suggesting that Billy Mehmet was loved by most of the St Mirren support. Seriously?blink.png

The guy was subjected to vitriolic abuse much of the time (often on here), despite the fact that he pitched in with a good few important goals for us, while playing for a manager who didn't favour creative midfielders so Billy had to track back way too often (something I assume you are referring to as being a headless chicken). He scored a number of critical goals for Saints, and, despite the abuse he received at times, always had a 1st class attitude.

Jim Goodwin was our captain when we won a major cup final, and has contributed a great deal to the club. He is not without his failings, but he wouldn't be anywhere near St Mirren if he was.

Stewart Kean scored plenty of goals for St Mirren, and was a gutsy and committed player. He had a solid partnership with John Sutton, and featured heavily in a promotion winning squad. He also scored at Tynecastle to cap off what was one of the best away days I've had supporting my club.

David Barron won several player of the year awards despite being played out of his preferred position. He was an uncompromising, no-frills defender (remember them?). Like Goodwin - and the rest - he wasn't without his faults, but he contributed a great deal to the cause for Saints, and deserved to be regarded as a good servant of the club.

Fancy trying again?

Billy Mehmet.

Jim Goodwin

Stewart Kean

David Barron

I don't think I'll be alone in thinking ...WTF.. to the above post. Those four guys....Really ???

People almost wanked themselves into a frenzy about Mehmet. He was absolutely ridiculously shit, and got no where near the abuse that a proper striker such as Higdon got.

Goodwin is an odd one, a fan favorite because he hits players but incredibly limited in his play. Him being captain had nothing to do with our Cup win. In fact he's shown more often than not why he shouldn't be a captain, a liability, makes Shug look like a clean player who never committed a foul.

Kean, ran around a lot. No end product apart from the 1st division and against Hearts.

Barron, incredibly limited. How he won player of the year is incredible. He done alright, but was never great. We do love a trier.

The fact that any of the four has been defended in any regard shows it all.

Eta, the fact that all of them has done the square root of f**k all with their career after us says it all.

Edited by gc_SMFC

People almost wanked themselves into a frenzy about Mehmet. He was absolutely ridiculously shit, and got no where near the abuse that a proper striker such as Higdon got.

Goodwin is an odd one, a fan favorite because he hits players but incredibly limited in his play. Him being captain had nothing to do with our Cup win. In fact he's shown more often than not why he shouldn't be a captain, a liability, makes Shug look like a clean player who never committed a foul.

Kean, ran around a lot. No end product apart from the 1st division and against Hearts.

Barron, incredibly limited. How he won player of the year is incredible. He done alright, but was never great. We do love a trier.

The fact that any of the four has been defended in any regard shows it all.

Eta, the fact that all of them has done the square root of f**k all with their career after us says it all.

I fear for your mental health.

My guess is that you're still hoarse from shouting abuse at Mehmet.

Enjoy your life, mate, you never know what's round the corner.

Billy Mehmet.

Jim Goodwin

Stewart Kean

David Barron

Goodwin is a player every club in the league would welcome into their team just so they can avoid playing against him.

I do however agree with the rest and would like to add dargo to that group. The worst striker we've ever had and one of the most loved

Goodwin is a player every club in the league would welcome into their team just so they can avoid playing against him.

I do however agree with the rest and would like to add dargo to that group. The worst striker we've ever had and one of the most loved

Goodwin was a bottom six player at his peak, he's now a liability, didn't even get into our starting line-up today - there's ten other clubs that have players who do the same job as least as well.

While I'm not going to argue Dargo was a success he was certainly not the worst striker we've ever had.

Goodwin was a bottom six player at his peak, he's now a liability, didn't even get into our starting line-up today - there's ten other clubs that have players who do the same job as least as well.

While I'm not going to argue Dargo was a success he was certainly not the worst striker we've ever had.

I disagree