Josh Magennis Vs Adam Campbell

I really can't believe I even need to ask this. But on what planet does Josh Magennis merit a start ahead of a lad who we've seen all of 4 times?

A 19 year old boy who we chased for 6 months and when we finally signed him, gave him 3 starts before relegating him to 5 minute cameos?

Magennis is a tried and tested failure in the SPFL. His performance tonight made the one which big Bahoken put in on his debut earlier in the season look like Maradona vs England in 1986.

Does anyone genuinely believe, apart from our management team that Josh Magennis merits anything other than a 5 minute time wasting sub appearance when Thompson is knackered?

On the other hand, in Campbell, We have a guy who has proven himself in his short time on the park to be potential game changer for us. A fast, direct, skillful option. Yet we insist on not playing him.

What the f**k is that all about?!

Spot on.............another incredible example of a piece of non team management, it defies the basics.

Magennis isn't a bad player to sign as a squad player as he can play RB RM or up front but he's nowhere near good enough to start.

As I said on the other thread, Campbell might not have been great every game but his pace can pull a defence apart and create space for Thommo and McGowan and we know he can finish if he get's a chance, 2 goals in 4 starts isn't bad and he scored alot of goals for Newcastle reserves.

It's a difficult situation, if we were going to exclude everyone whose had a bad game or two then we'd be having to go to the seven-a-side thread to get replacements for the current squad most of whom should be examining themselves this morning - I'd like to say a word or two in defence of Kelly who has been left out to dry by Lennon's mishandling of the squad, a 19-y-o (OK he turned 20 in November) who has been forced to play in every game bar one since September I'm surprised he's held up so well.

McGennis - I see him being a replacement for Thompson after 60-70 minutes or as a change of tactics to a more direct style if we play them together but not as a starter.

Campbell - like I've said elsewhere I'd like to see him and Wylde given a start together with Thompson in the middle and either McLean or McGowan as attacking midfielder. It might not work but were pretty much in the Last Chance Saloon.................nologo.gif

offtopic.gif The nightmare of all nightmare scenarios - Thompson picked up his fourth booking in the league last night the prospect of him being unavailable for the play-offs is just so nightmarish I don't want to think about it! Flush.gifbag.gif

Edited by Bud the Baker

McGennis - I see him being a replacement for Thompson after 60-70 minutes or as a change of tactics to a more direct style if we play them together but not as a starter.

My Aberdeen supporting colleague said this very thing to me when we signed Magennis. Indeed, when JM featured in the same starting 11 with Thompson, he expressed surprise, as he wasn't at all sure how this would work.

Put simply....it hasn't worked.

One other point that annoys me relates to Danny talking about the very good performances in the games at Tannadice and Parkhead. They will be the matches when we shipped 6 goals and scored 2. The manner of the defeat at Tannadice was shocking, and all but wiped out the 78 minutes of that match when we played exceptionally well, by all accounts. Likewise, the first half hour at Celtic Park.

Matches last 90 minutes, Danny. This is one of my biggest gripes throughout his tenure. I am struggling to remember one match when we played consistently well for 90 minutes. There is absolutely no point in talking up a 20, 45, or 78 minute portion of a match, when the final outcome pretty much blew away any positives tha tcould be taken from it.

It smacks of a lack of discipline, focus, and concentration. This isn't helped by the constant fannying about with formations and personnel, and routinely playing players out of their preferred position.

Magennis is, at best, a utility player. Everyone and their dug can see that except Danny, it would seem.

My Aberdeen supporting colleague said this very thing to me when we signed Magennis. Indeed, when JM featured in the same starting 11 with Thompson, he expressed surprise, as he wasn't at all sure how this would work.

Put simply....it hasn't worked.

One other point that annoys me relates to Danny talking about the very good performances in the games at Tannadice and Parkhead. They will be the matches when we shipped 6 goals and scored 2. The manner of the defeat at Tannadice was shocking, and all but wiped out the 78 minutes of that match when we played exceptionally well, by all accounts. Likewise, the first half hour at Celtic Park.

Matches last 90 minutes, Danny. This is one of my biggest gripes throughout his tenure. I am struggling to remember one match when we played consistently well for 90 minutes. There is absolutely no point in talking up a 20, 45, or 78 minute portion of a match, when the final outcome pretty much blew away any positives tha tcould be taken from it.

It smacks of a lack of discipline, focus, and concentration. This isn't helped by the constant fannying about with formations and personnel, and routinely playing players out of their preferred position.

Magennis is, at best, a utility player. Everyone and their dug can see that except Danny, it would seem.

He's started every game he's been available to play since he joined, did Danny promise to start him every game - if so it's time to say it isn't working!

Come on guys. You are all being a bit unreasonable. We had one shot on target during the whole 90 mins last night. If we had scored we could have drawn. What makes you think we need a striker?

PS Gary Teale for me instead of Mcginnis or Campbell.

I don't believe either should be starting personally. Our strongest 11 is - in my opinion:

Kello

Naismith

Cheesy

McGregor

Kelly

Newton

Goodwin

McGowan

McLean

McGinn

Thommo

The problem last night was Magennis played instead of Goodwin and we kind of went 4-4-2. That mean we were being over run in central midfield and that consistently allowed StJ to overlap against our young full backs. Had Goodwin started infront of the back 4 this certainly wouldn't have happened to the extent it did.

Campbell had a nice finish against Killie and an immense 45 minutes against Hibs. Apart from that he's done absolutely and I'm not surprised he's not in the team. As I said before he came, you can't really expect consistent performances from a player his age. He's just turned 19 and has virtually no senior experience, he's a good option to have from the bench but I wouldn't start him.

I would go with a similar team to Lex, but take out Newton, put McGinn central and play Teale or Wylde out wide.

Watching Newton he doesnt want to take responsibility and constantly gets rid of the ball as soon as he can, he also hates a tackle. I would feel confident with McGinn and Goodwin protecting the defence allowing the 4 ahead to (try and) win the game.

Campbell had a nice finish against Killie and an immense 45 minutes against Hibs. Apart from that he's done absolutely and I'm not surprised he's not in the team. As I said before he came, you can't really expect consistent performances from a player his age. He's just turned 19 and has virtually no senior experience, he's a good option to have from the bench but I wouldn't start him.

This is the games he's played in and the minutes he played (from soccerway.com). He's only played a decent amount of time in 6 games, scored in 2 of them and one was chasing punted clearences against Celtic. Don't think thats enough evidence to write him off as not good enough.

22-03-14 Celtic 3 - 0 St. Mirren30

01-03-14 St. Mirren 2 - 0 Kilmarnock 1

15-02-14 St. Mirren 0 - 1 Aberdeen 15

02-02-14 Celtic 1 - 0 St. Mirren 7

29-01-14 Heart of Midlothian 2 - 1 St. Mirren 65

25-01-14 St. Mirren 0 - 0 Partick Thistle 68

18-01-14 Hibernian 2 - 3 St. Mirren 90

11-01-14 St. Johnstone 2 - 0 St. Mirren 54

05-01-14 St. Mirren 0 - 4 Celtic 84

02-01-14 Kilmarnock 2 - 1 St. Mirren 90

Edited by irvine_buddie

This is the games he's played in and the minutes he played (from soccerway.com). He's only played a decent amount of time in 6 games, scored in 2 of them and one was chasing punted clearences against Celtic. Don't think thats enough evidence to write him off as not good enough.

22-03-14 Celtic 3 - 0 St. Mirren30

01-03-14 St. Mirren 2 - 0 Kilmarnock 1

15-02-14 St. Mirren 0 - 1 Aberdeen 15

02-02-14 Celtic 1 - 0 St. Mirren 7

29-01-14 Heart of Midlothian 2 - 1 St. Mirren 65

25-01-14 St. Mirren 0 - 0 Partick Thistle 68

18-01-14 Hibernian 2 - 3 St. Mirren 90

11-01-14 St. Johnstone 2 - 0 St. Mirren 54

05-01-14 St. Mirren 0 - 4 Celtic 84

02-01-14 Kilmarnock 2 - 1 St. Mirren 90

I'm certainly not writing him off, he's a talented player and may play at a high level one day, I wouldn't mind having him back on loan here next season actually and wouldn't be surprised if it happened. He's 19 though, and as with virtually every player that age he's very inconsistent and not fully physically developed.

I don't expect he will start another game for us this season and I don't think that's a mistake. He offers pace from the bench, but he's not ready to be a regular starter in my opinion.

I honestly thought after Hibs away that Campbell would've gone on to have hit close to double figures for us this season.

He looked really impressive that day, constantly wanted the ball and scored a cracking goal.

Only Danny knows why he's out of favour now.

Magennis seems to be a first pick at the mo though.

Once Teale is fit I'd get him back on the right and use Magennis purely as backup for Thommo.

Magennis is gash, and he's a contracted Aberdeen player, not a St Mirren one, and he gurned around in an Aberdeen suit on a cup final podium he had fcuk-all involvement in, and it happened 24 hours after he was involved in our capitulation at Tannadice. He's not the type I want in the trenches wearing our stripes when we need someone who is paid by the club, contracted to the club, most likely cares more for the club, and would be most likely be looking at a wage cut or being let go alltogether should relegation happen.

The worst thing that happens to Magennis should St Mirren be relegated is... well, fcuk-all happens to Magennis... He's an Aberdeen FC player.

Fcuking nonsense. Magennis, Bahoken, Campbell, Harkins, Grainger, Caprice.... enter name here of waste of wage / loanee experiment gone wrong.

Get him tae'....

Edited by pozbaird

Magennis is gash, and he's a contracted Aberdeen player, not a St Mirren one,, and he gurned around in an Aberdeen suit on a cup final podium he had fcuk-all involvement in, and it happened 24 hours after he was involved in our capitulation at Tannadice.

Get him tae'....

Zzzzzzz

Which part of it do you disagree with particularly, or is untrue? Go for it...

Go for it?

I didn't say any of it was untrue or that I disagree with any particular part, did I?

I've been working away for a few days, I'm shattered.

Going to read it one more time to help me doze off....

Go for it?

I didn't say any of it was untrue or that I disagree with any particular part, did I?

I've been working away for a few days, I'm shattered.

Going to read it one more time to help me doze off....

It's a thread about Magennis. A thread I have contributed to once in all it's pages. I don't need to contribute to it again. If you aren't going to argue against any of my post, disagree with any of my post, and all you're going to contribute is 'Zzzzzz' then I'm frankly wondering why you even bothered gracing us with your insightful contribution.

'Great thread' is a better response than yours.

Enjoy your kip.

Pozbaird you are absolutely correct magennis loan deal should be cancelled. His behaviour has been shocking like his displays. He is a failed goalkeeper. Another of our bizarre signings this season.

I tell you what though - he's here and Danny picks him. If Danny picks him I hope and pray he scores goals or sets up goals that we desperately need. I do not sit here hoping he continues to be gash and fails. I would love nothing more than to see us win up in Inverness. Magennis scoring, a deflection off Cheesy's arse in the 90th minute.... anything.

Maybe Magennis will 'do a Wardlaw' and score one almighty important goal.

It's a thread about Magennis. A thread I have contributed to once in all it's pages. I don't need to contribute to it again. If you aren't going to argue against any of my post, disagree with any of my post, and all you're going to contribute is 'Zzzzzz' then I'm frankly wondering why you even bothered gracing us with your insightful contribution.

'Great thread' is a better response than yours.

Enjoy your kip.

Aye, you've said.......................................how's that? whistling.gif