Saints On Sky News

f**king hell, are we going to actually sign anyone other than loan deals, we'd be as well being someone's feeder club.

Would you rather we signed a free agent on a 1 year deal or a EPL on a 1 year loan?

It's effectively the same thing.

Would you rather we signed a free agent on a 1 year deal or a EPL on a 1 year loan?

It's effectively the same thing.

Have to agree, only difference is that free agents are generally cast offs and the loan players are other clubs' prize possessions.

Loan deals can work, notably kids like Newton & Dummet who were on the way up with points to prove. I do feel that our club are hooked on the loanee drug though. I don't need to name names. We only need look back to last season. Some of these guys were 'the ones we were waiting on' - then didn't play them, or they gurned on a cup winning podium in their parent club's cup final suit, despite being fcuking no-where near the cup final team. However, I digress.

My problem is that invariably the going gets tough post-split for St Mirren FC. I had 100% trust in guys like Van Zanten, Murray, Broadfoot and others in regard to them knowing about, and caring about, the badge on their chest.

Some of these loanee guys, I'm not so sure about. I wouldn't want to go into battle in a 'Motherwell or Falkirk away' situation with some of the ones I've seen in recent times.

Gie's St Mirren contracted signings... add a dash of loanee by all means.

I agree Poz. Nothing wrong with one or two loan players but it is hard to get excited when you know that they don't belong to you and if they play well then they'll be gone in a flash. I may be old fashioned but I want players to sign for us and them to belong to us. Last year we went down a ridiculous road signing loan players that simply were not good enough. I am hoping that with all the players lost in the summer we will be signing new players on proper contracts soon. Remember you can't bring guys in who haven't been training and expect miracles. Djemba Djemba wasn't fit but was asked to play. It doesn't work. We need to try our best to get lads signed and have the team shaped up for Aug 9th. Am I wrong to expect several new players still? If we don't then what does that tell you? Hopefully we will sort the squad soon.

I agree Poz. Nothing wrong with one or two loan players but it is hard to get excited when you know that they don't belong to you and if they play well then they'll be gone in a flash. I may be old fashioned but I want players to sign for us and them to belong to us. Last year we went down a ridiculous road signing loan players that simply were not good enough. I am hoping that with all the players lost in the summer we will be signing new players on proper contracts soon. Remember you can't bring guys in who haven't been training and expect miracles. Djemba Djemba wasn't fit but was asked to play. It doesn't work. We need to try our best to get lads signed and have the team shaped up for Aug 9th. Am I wrong to expect several new players still? If we don't then what does that tell you? Hopefully we will sort the squad soon.

and when it doesn't work, we have to pay to get rid of them, if it does work, they want to move on to better things.

and when it doesn't work, we have to pay to get rid of them, if it does work, they want to move on to better things.

... Or it does work, and Sporting Lisbon pay 3 million for them with a 48 million sell-on clause, or perhaps on a lesser scale, we get to enjoy the talents of a Kenny McLean or John McGinn for a nice amount of time, and they move on to bigger things down South.

We need a good mix. Of all types... Kids through the youth system, experienced auld heads like Thommo and Goodwin, new contracted signings and loan deals. Last season our loan deals were largely unsuccessful.

Frankly, I'm looking for more guys with the Shug Murray gene, rather than the Stephane Bahoken one.

... Or it does work, and Sporting Lisbon pay 3 million for them with a 48 million sell-on clause, or perhaps on a lesser scale, we get to enjoy the talents of a Kenny McLean or John McGinn for a nice amount of time, and they move on to bigger things down South.

We need a good mix. Of all types... Kids through the youth system, experienced auld heads like Thommo and Goodwin, new contracted signings and loan deals. Last season our loan deals were largely unsuccessful.

Frankly, I'm looking for more guys with the Shug Murray gene, rather than the Stephane Bahoken one.

I think we have a decent enough mix already.

We have the highly experienced pros: Goodwin, Teale & Kello

We have the middle stage ones: McAusland, McGinn, McLean, Wylde & Marwood

And the kids: Kelly, Naismith, Reilly, Yaqub, Hughes, Williams

We'd get away with that and a couple of loan deals, IMO. We don't really need any more older players unless Teale/Goodwin are going to step back in their roles this season.

Edited by Murray7

I think a few loans are good for the club Newton Dummet Goncalves were great when they came in on loan. They bonded with the team made freinds and played regularly we won the cup all three were a massive part of that winning team and will be remembered in folk law for ever but they left!!!

Then next season we tried again and it was a disaster Bankonen was shocking and ran off in the huff. Cornell must be the worst Keeper I have ever seen in a St.Mirren team! Caprice did nothing as did Cambell and Meganisis.

so a few loans are good but you have to have a good enough squad as you can't rely on loan player's imo.

Think we need a CB signed as we can't rely on Plumber no matter who he comes to us from!!

Stephane who whistling.gif

I agree with all the posts above who talk about a balance, and I agree that the squad at the moment is reasonably well balanced - although we are still short of a few, and I hope Goodwin and Teale still have their 'playing heids' screwed on. We'll need both of them as players first and foremost this coming season to add experience to the squad.

We needed a CB, we got Plummer. We needed back up for Thommo, we got Marwood. We needed to sort out the goalies, we did - early too. We got McLean signed up as a nice 'bonus'. McGinn could stay too. So far, TC seems to be doing the right things at the right pace. Two or three new faces to round out the squad and I'll be relaxed about going into a season without Hibs, Hearts, The Sevco, and Dundee and Accies coming up.

Top six is ours, I tell ye!*

* Maybe. All rights reserved.

TBH I think the club are banking that the likes of Kelly and Naismith are going to get even better this year. Rather than paying an experienced pro to sit on the bench as cover, we will be relying on the likes of Yaqoub and Morgan (?) to step in as cover if injuries occur.

Similarly, we'll be looking at younger players like Hughes to step in if McGinn or McLean are injured.

I think we'll sign another forward and a right sided CH, who can cover at RB if needs be. I'd like to think they'd be players that are bit more experienced, but we'll get who we get.

Maybe not ideal, but as we're going to continue to live within our means, we'll need to get used to it.

TBH I think the club are banking that the likes of Kelly and Naismith are going to get even better this year. Rather than paying an experienced pro to sit on the bench as cover, we will be relying on the likes of Yaqoub and Morgan (?) to step in as cover if injuries occur.

Similarly, we'll be looking at younger players like Hughes to step in if McGinn or McLean are injured.

I think we'll sign another forward and a right sided CH, who can cover at RB if needs be. I'd like to think they'd be players that are bit more experienced, but we'll get who we get.

Maybe not ideal, but as we're going to continue to live within our means, we'll need to get used to it.

The TC quote after he got the job was:

"You're looking at somewhere between six and eight players will probably have to come in, but I'll get down to the nitty gritty of that in due course."

Sounding like, ultimately, we'll have five when the season kicks off and that's without McLean going as had been expected.

I'm presuming that TC knew his budget when he made that statement and he's just been unable, thus far, to attract the calibre he's looking for (Stevenson went to Thistle instead, for example). Hopefully that means that there will be money left to strengthen in the January window or even by the end of August should the right player or players become available.

So are we in the market for more players of proven quality? Harkins wage was considerable and as much as Kenny will have a new deal worth more mcgowans wage would I imagine cover him as it too was v decent. So is thommo and marwood it for strikers? St johnstone want four front men to pick from and I feel it's absolutely necessary to have 3 at least.

Edited by norrie82

So are we in the market for more players of proven quality? Harkins wage was considerable and as much as Kenny will have a new deal worth more mcgowans wage would I imagine cover him as it too was v decent. So is thommo and marwood it for strikers? St johnstone want four front men to pick from and I feel it's absolutely necessary to have 3 at least.

This St Johnstone?. http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/no-silver-lining-skint-st-3841877

We won't sign anyone else apart from a loanee unless someone goes. If McGinn stays then I fear this is our lot and we are in for a very long season with some embarrassing scorelines along the way

So would you rather we sold McGinn and then tried to replace him and buy a few players or use the McGinn money to pay the wages of a few free transfers?