Smfc Update...

It would explain why are not even bothering to interview any potential managers.

I have no idea who this mob are or what they want with the club. I'll trust the board to do the due diligence and make sure we are not going to become The The Rangers.

I take my hat off to Gary Teale for the way is leading the team at present with all this hanging over his head and being unable to bring in any new players.

I'm naturally cynical in terms of the motives of any prospective buyers.

There is a great deal of chat about high profile figures involved in this deal (players, coaches etc.). You have to ask the question, then, why St Mirren? A small, parochial club with a core support of 2500 or so?

In saying all that, we are desperately crying out for change, and as the Brookmyre, Henshall, and Div McDonald consortium hasn't come forward as yet....

Honestly, some promising news in a time that we need hope... Half the posts are all negative as usual.. Why would they invest in a small provincial club? Well if you would like to be pedantic all clubs outside the Capital City are provincial clubs, we have a brand new Stadium, great training / academy facilities and literally 5 minutes from the airport.. why on earth would anyone want to come here.. FFS

I'm naturally cynical in terms of the motives of any prospective buyers.

There is a great deal of chat about high profile figures involved in this deal (players, coaches etc.). You have to ask the question, then, why St Mirren? A small, parochial club with a core support of 2500 or so?

In saying all that, we are desperately crying out for change, and as the Brookmyre, Henshall, and Div McDonald consortium hasn't come forward as yet....

Who you calling parochial? whistling.gif I prefer provincial.

Think it's only fair to be slightly suspicious when outsiders come in and start throwing around phrases like "challenging for Europe", "directors of football" and the like.

Whenever I hear things like that I instantly think of Reg Brealey standing up in the Caley Stand at a packed shareholders meeting and promising to bring European football back to Paisley.

That said, I'd trust the selling consortium to have done the necessary due diligence on any prospective new owners.

Could turn out to be the best thing that's ever happened to the club and we could be hearing the champions league music playing at St.Mirren Park inside the next 5 years. or it could all be a crock of shit.

One thing I would hope any new owners would do would be to appoint a fans representative to the board to ensure we have a proper link between fans and directors, someone from SMiSA or the Fans Council would be ideal.

Would be helpful if a certain black & white army member would reveal his source for that article.

I just hope it isn't a Craig "wealth off the scale" Whyte style Daily Record article that we will look back on in a few years.

A lot of it looks like wishful thinking to me. European football, Premiership stars etc Looks like a bunch of guys who want a new toy to play with and will get bored within a couple of years.

Still if it means we finally sign a central defender after half a f**king decade then bring it on!

Agreed

Crock of shite.

It will end in tears.

And not 17th of March 2013 tears.

Beware Buddies.

Agreed, sounds pretty dodgy.

And given what is says in the article, David Thompson seems a strange choice as a manger. Does he have any senior coaching experience at all?

Either way it needs sorted out one way or the other ASAP. All this dithering about, at the most crucial point of the season is really hurting the club.

Edited by ds10

To be fair, if any new consortium was seriously looking at us, was in advanced negotiations with the selling consortium, and there was any truth in it..... What are they going to say?.... 'Looks grim this season, pretty much fcuked, but we are confident that we can come in, and make sure we don't get royally fcuked up the arse next season by Falkirk and Queens...'

Nah, Europe and grooming stars for the Premiership. Wouldn't expect anything else!

Accies are sniffing Europe, ICT certainly are, St Johnstone could... That far fetched really?*

* Europe? Wid' settle for a top six season, free from relegation worries and excessive amounts of squidgy shite sloshing around ma' breeks every home game.... But don't tell them that.

To partly answer the question about what the English consortium or the Argentinian consortium want with us - we are an ideal opportunity for any group wanting to take over a football club. No debt, new stadium, great training ground and in the top flight (for another few months anyway).

The Argentinians are clearly looking for a club to promote their players in Europe and the above means we fit the bill. They may be good like the players Watford have got, they may be dross like the players Anelka brought to Livvy. If they're decent will we get any of the cash? Probably not - although on the flip side this may be used to pay off what they spent buying the club and we may not have to worry about that aspect of things. Unlikely mind you.

Who knows what the English group wants - the players they have lined up to come in may be their clients and they're looking to put them in the shop window to get them decent clubs come the summer. Talk of guys with a wealth of experience sounds good on paper - but Tommy Craig had been at Newcastle for years. Likewise the Champions League players and Premiership players - Djemba-Djemba played at that level. Djimi Traore won the Champions League! No doubt you'd be talking about a guy with a handful of appearances in each (Luke Chadwick) or some ageing player looking for a final pay day. Doing that won't get them their money back - developing the youth academy might but that doesn't do us any good.

Both groups need to be treated with a suitable amount of caution at this stage as details are incredibly sketchy. No one can declare one is better than the other at the moment - similarly no one can declare definitively either group will be a good or bad thing.

The Herald says the English consortium hope to conclude a deal soon. The Star (and presumably the Express) say the Argentinian consortium hope to conclude a deal soon. Which is better?

harry-hill-tv-burp-fight-o.gif

Argentinian and English consortiums fighting over us?

The timing of this fcuking stinks. The club has been up for sale for five years - and if there's any truth in that Herald article, a bun fight for control is taking place, and 'hitting snags' right as the January window opens, when we are managerless, with Teale, Longwell, the players, and of course the fans, all operating in what can best be described as a somewhat less than stable state of affairs. Not a peep from the existing BoD about our current perilous situation. What a fcuking mess.

To partly answer the question about what the English consortium or the Argentinian consortium want with us - we are an ideal opportunity for any group wanting to take over a football club. No debt, new stadium, great training ground and in the top flight (for another few months anyway).

The Argentinians are clearly looking for a club to promote their players in Europe and the above means we fit the bill. They may be good like the players Watford have got, they may be dross like the players Anelka brought to Livvy. If they're decent will we get any of the cash? Probably not - although on the flip side this may be used to pay off what they spent buying the club and we may not have to worry about that aspect of things. Unlikely mind you.

Who knows what the English group wants - the players they have lined up to come in may be their clients and they're looking to put them in the shop window to get them decent clubs come the summer. Talk of guys with a wealth of experience sounds good on paper - but Tommy Craig had been at Newcastle for years. Likewise the Champions League players and Premiership players - Djemba-Djemba played at that level. Djimi Traore won the Champions League! No doubt you'd be talking about a guy with a handful of appearances in each (Luke Chadwick) or some ageing player looking for a final pay day. Doing that won't get them their money back - developing the youth academy might but that doesn't do us any good.

Both groups need to be treated with a suitable amount of caution at this stage as details are incredibly sketchy. No one can declare one is better than the other at the moment - similarly no one can declare definitively either group will be a good or bad thing.

The Herald says the English consortium hope to conclude a deal soon. The Star (and presumably the Express) say the Argentinian consortium hope to conclude a deal soon. Which is better?

As far as the sellers are concerned a two fight is good no matter which wins. The current incumbents must be creaming themselves. They might get the figure they imagined.