Relegation Beckons

Opinion is king, where would the forum (or the fun) be without it. We have the usual mixed bag of those declaring relegation is inevitable, those who declare we will stay up, and those who say there is everything to play for. Of the three views only the latter is factually and irrefutably correct.

It's been a horrible season. Bottom line, we find ourselves bottom of the league, and on the cold, hard face of it we are in pole position for the bump. Critically however we have avoided being detached from the pack. Regardless of the story of the previous 28 games the fact is there are 10 games and 30 points to play for. Partick have 7 points on us, RC have 3 points on us, and Motherwell have just one point on us.

GD Pts
Partick Thistle -1 28
Ross County -23 24
Motherwell -31 22
St Mirren -24 21

My opinion, for what it is worth, is that we won't better 11th, and on balance, I would not fancy us over two legs versus Hibs or Sevco, particularly if Walter Smith is installed as manager for the run in. In short, I think we will be relegated this season.

That's an irrelevance however, yes it's been utter shite this season, but we now have a 10 game shootout where all that matters is what happens to the current bottom four teams. With 30 points up for grabs literally anything can happen. The 'Everything to play for' camp have got it right.

The board of directors are entirely responsible for this season. They have caused this disgrace

I think it's fair to put the blame at the feet of the board as they clearly got it horribly wrong with the appointment of Tommy, and it remains to be seen if sticking with a rookie for the run-in was a wise move.

They have got a lot more right than wrong during their time in the boardroom though and it will be a real shame if their legacy will be remembered as being the absolute shambles that season 14-15 has been.

I honestly can't remember a season I have enjoyed less than this one, and that includes the dark days under Coughlin, Bone and Hay. It's been absolutely rank right from the start, when we played Motherwell off the park yet still managed to lose.

being relegated may not be a bad thing

if you get it right like hearts ,hibs and get team on park dont think it would take

alot off planning ,crowds would increase hopfully win more home games

and get rid off over paid players who have got us into this situation

new team ,new manager new board

new hope

............. and new money to compete the way Hearts and Hibs have ,both in the transfer market and paying players contracts ? I think not !

I think it's fair to put the blame at the feet of the board as they clearly got it horribly wrong with the appointment of Tommy, and it remains to be seen if sticking with a rookie for the run-in was a wise move.

They have got a lot more right than wrong during their time in the boardroom though and it will be a real shame if their legacy will be remembered as being the absolute shambles that season 14-15 has been.

I honestly can't remember a season I have enjoyed less than this one, and that includes the dark days under Coughlin, Bone and Hay. It's been absolutely rank right from the start, when we played Motherwell off the park yet still managed to lose.

Spot-on Div , you old doom merchant you ! Faraway will be on your case shortly to ask where your going to celebrate our relegation along with the rest of us ! Fanny that he is ! bye1.gif

Spot-on Div , you old doom merchant you ! Faraway will be on your case shortly to ask where your going to celebrate our relegation along with the rest of us ! Fanny that he is ! bye1.gif

Deleted, cannie be arsed. snore.gif

ETA See a troll likes your "fanny" comment Billy, you must be very proud. bye1.gif

Edited by faraway saint

The most annoying thing is that it is entirely self-inflicted. The way a completely imbalanced squad was assembled. The dispensing of Danny Lennon's services with his assistant simply bumped up. My gut feeling is that an Ian Murray, Terry Butcher, or suchlike could have come in at the time Danny was bagged as a genuine fresh start and an outsider with no agenda would have kicked some arse. The clear, utterly crystal clear need for a commanding CB. The over-reliance on an injured and ageing Thommo'. The conveyor belt of lightweight 'play em' somewhere in midfield' loanees.

Moves have been made to address the issues as I alluded to in an earlier post - hopefully it isn't too late.

Edited by pozbaird

I don't blame the BoD, they didn't

• buy three poor forwards, two of whom were paid off in January and the other hasn't touched the green stuff for over a month.
  • go into the season short of a CH and cover for JG at defensive midfield and then finally replace him with an injury prone player who's been available for barely half the games since he signed.
  • rush back Thompsoncloud9.gif in August and exacerbate his injury.

I wasn't thrilled by the appointment of TC in May but there was clearly a plan, executed quickly (very quickly IMO death.gif ) - continuity at the top with Tealzo being groomed to take over longer term, it didn't work but it wasn't entirely without merit and just shows how little margin for error there is for a club our size in a 12 club top division. The BoD gave TC as long as they could and despite SG's talk of getting in a wheelerdealer to replace him we all knew it was going to be Tealzo. We're now deep in the doo-doo again but it ain't over till it's over, I'll be there on Saturday hoping for the best another Well (2005) or Falkirk (2009) because these are the games perhaps more than the LC final two years ago that define what supporting a club like St. Mirren is all about.

I don't blame the BoD, they didn't

• buy three poor forwards, two of whom were paid off in January and the other hasn't touched the green stuff for over a month.
  • go into the season short of a CH and cover for JG at defensive midfield and then finally replace him with an injury prone player who's been available for barely half the games since he signed.
  • rush back Thompson:cloud9 in August and exacerbate his injury.

I wasn't thrilled by the appointment of TC in May but there was clearly a plan, executed quickly (very quickly IMO :death ) - continuity at the top with Tealzo being groomed to take over longer term, it didn't work but it wasn't entirely without merit and just shows how little margin for error there is for a club our size in a 12 club top division. The BoD gave TC as long as they could and despite SG's talk of getting in a wheelerdealer to replace him we all knew it was going to be Tealzo. We're now deep in the doo-doo again but it ain't over till it's over, I'll be there on Saturday hoping for the best another Well (2005) or Falkirk (2009) because these are the games perhaps more than the LC final two years ago that define what supporting a club like St. Mirren is all about.

I do blame the BoD.

Full stop, end of sentence, etc.

I,m looking forward to seeing a new look Saint team battle to try and keep us up , With Thompson back and Genev,s height I feel we can be very threatening at set pieces , when you consider we will have Cheesey , Jason Naismith and Goody also up for set pieces and Gow and Mallan both hit not a bad dead ball .

Also feel , there is a bit of fight in the team now and they are certainly up for the challenge .

I think if we make the play offs , we should have a bit of confidence about us and I would fancy our chances .

interesting to see if Thistle become part of the dogfight.

It's hard to keep your pecker up when Saints are in diffs, but what's new? I've got a notion we'll be OK but it's going to be tough. We have to beat County and hopefully in addition to that get at least another four points from the three away games. And knowing our wee team we just might beat Celtic. I wouldn't put it past them. Supporting St.Mirren was never meant to be easy.

Indeed it never has been and never will be.

By the way Rick, who is our "big team"? ohmy.png

Oaksoft u make valid points but this season has been poor by even our standard

The second they released that awful looking strip it was downhill

Appointing Craig a disaster everytime he was left in charge of a team.

Joke signings next to junior level to play in the top league

Getting worse every week along with the manager's behaviour(just wanting a final pay day)

Sticking with him,far,far too long affecting our better young players confidence

Teale comes in and just has us playing to a shape already looks far better than has been before

Mixed results but better performances and looking like a competitive SPL team at last

We then sell our best player for peanuts on the very last day of the transfer window

I wrote this season off the moment they appointed Craig the same as i did the Davie Hay season

They got my hopes up just after the New Year as we looked like a team who could hold their own

I honestly don't know what the BOD game is

We are now being told if they want the club sold it has to be in the SPL

Going by their baffling decisions they have made this season after being sound seasons gone past

Doesn't make sense and i also of the opinion that not all the BOD want to leave either

Faraway you don't need to sit and watch us half the time you lucky devil

The guy sees more "live" matches on the television than he ever sees by attending. Sitting in his little (man) cave with his remote control, beer and chocolates creaming himself over Cristiano Ronaldo, Lionel Messi, Kenneth "Oooh Matron" Williams and One Direction. (Saint) Sad but true...

The guy sees more "live" matches on the television than he ever sees by attending. Sitting in his little (man) cave with his remote control, beer and chocolates creaming himself over Cristiano Ronaldo, Lionel Messi, Kenneth "Oooh Matron" Williams and One Direction. (Saint) Sad but true...

I'm sensing more than a wee touch of 'man-envy', there....