Danny Lennon

Danny Lennon is a St Mirren Legend and always will be .

Gave me the greatest day in my St Mirren supporting life.

Alex Smith for me. Atmosphere in Paisley that night way better. Especially outside the town hall and every(most) pub in the town.

In Danny's last 3 seasons with St Mirren we finished with 43, 41, and 39 points. Not far off double our points tally this year with a few games left and with many of the same players as Tommy Craig and Gary Teale have had at their disposal. After his exit the poor signings have continued at an increasing rate. Our only decent signings this year were guys Danny had signed previously: Kenny McLean and Tesselaar. Collectively and individually the players who played under DL have looked poorer without him in charge.

Goncalves scored about 3 league goals for us. Not sure how someone can seriously post his goals kept us up that season, when we finished 11 points clear or relegation spot. This season we are on course to finish 11 points behind the next worst team. In one season we've gone from finishing 1 point behind 7th placed Ross County to 14 points behind them with 3 games left while they only sit 10th!

Yesterday in a game that mattered, Danny won a head to head with a relegation contender and his team leapfrogged out of the automatic relegation place and into the play off spot (and it was only goal difference which put them in the play off spot). At a time when we are not yet mathematically down and supposed to be fighting for our survival we are getting pumped 5-0, 3-0, and 3-0 again by our nearest rivals.

Even if you want to denigrate Danny as clueless but lucky you would have to accept we would be a lot better off this season if we had kept him in charge.

Bit embarrassing to note that Partick Thistle have already accumulated more points this season (with 3 games to go) than we managed in 9 years in the top flight.

Wonder why Archibald managed to achieve in 2 years what neither McPherson (albeit in a much harder league) and Lennon could do in 4. With a lesser budget too.

Definitely gives a bit of perspective to Lennon's form in the league.

Agreed 87 was better than 2013 league cup win. The atmosphere in the town after the game was incredible.

The 1987 cup final was however a turgid boring game to watch, unlike the action packed rollercoaster ride 3-2 win against Hearts. I'll happily give DL credit for the stuff he had some control over (how the team performed during the final) than mark him down for the lack of atmosphere in the pubs afterwards!

The 1987 cup final was however a turgid boring game to watch, unlike the action packed rollercoaster ride 3-2 win against Hearts. I'll happily give DL credit for the stuff he had some control over (how the team performed during the final) than mark him down for the lack of atmosphere in the pubs afterwards!

It was my first cup final win at Hampden Park and nothing will ever take that away from me no matter how we played. It's how you celebrate it.

Bit embarrassing to note that Partick Thistle have already accumulated more points this season (with 3 games to go) than we managed in 9 years in the top flight.

Wonder why Archibald managed to achieve in 2 years what neither McPherson (albeit in a much harder league) and Lennon could do in 4. With a lesser budget too.

Definitely gives a bit of perspective to Lennon's form in the league.

What makes you think Thistle are operating on a smaller budget than St Mirren?

1987 wiped out the bitter memories of three 1980s losing semi finals. 2013 wiped out the bitter memory of the 2010 final. I cannot seperate them for enjoyment levels. Both were superb. Not sure what atmosphere in a boozer has to do with anything. All that matters is the cup success.

What they both have in common is that we never used either success to push the club onwards and a bit upwards. We went backwards.

... as does this season when we were going to finish higher than 9th!

Just because we made the wrong appointment after we got rid of Danny doesn't mean it was the wrong decision to get rid of him.

He had 4 goes at the league and he couldn't achieve what relative rookies like Archibald and Neil managed.

Just because we made the wrong appointment after we got rid of Danny doesn't mean it was the wrong decision to get rid of him.

He had 4 goes at the league and he couldn't achieve what relative rookies like Archibald and Neil managed.

The chances are more SPL managers will come up short when compared to what relative rookie Alex Neil achieved at Hamilton in the first half of the season!

1987 wiped out the bitter memories of three 1980s losing semi finals. 2013 wiped out the bitter memory of the 2010 final. I cannot seperate them for enjoyment levels. Both were superb. Not sure what atmosphere in a boozer has to do with anything. All that matters is the cup success.

What they both have in common is that we never used either success to push the club onwards and a bit upwards. We went backwards.

Not sure everyone will agree with you.

'The atmosphere in the pubs was better in 1987'.... ?

I can understand saying 2013 was better than 1987 because it was a thrilling 3-2 final, and I can understand saying 1987 was better than 2013 because the Scottish Cup is more coveted than the League Cup... But pubs?

I don't get it. Maybe it's me.

Here's a common features of cup wins in '87 and '13. In each case we started our defence of the trophy by losing in our first round tie at home to a team from a lower league.

The joys of supporting St.Mirren.

And here's another slightly related fact for you which is a bit more palatable. The much ballyhooed Lisbon Lions of '67 opened their defence of the European Cup in August of that year by losing in the first round, to a team who, themselves, lost in the second round.

Had the greatest day of my St Mirren life on 17/3/13.

Had no alcohol and spent not a second in any Boozer.

The Hampden experience and Open Top Bus was all I needed.

And seeing my wee yins happy beaming face as Goodwin lifted the Cup, topped the lot for me.

It's been a calamitous season from start to finish.

From appointing Tommy Craig to our captain spearing one of our best midfielders the season has gone from bad to worse.

Thankfully it's almost over and we can start to dream of promotion next season.

Who knows what next year holds and who will be at the helm, however we will move onwards and upwards (hopefully).

Falkirk in the Scottish cup final showing just cause you are in the championship you can't go on a good cup run.

There will be derby's against Morton. Maybe 4 games against that filthy mob that are called rangers as well as trips to hibs or motherwell.

So still loads to look forward too.

If the new Manager takes one thing from Dannys tenure it should be to respect the fans and the community as saints are a community club and deserve a team that's going to fight on the pitch and get involved in the community off it.

Edited by exiledfan

I wasn't commenting on Danny's ability to manage as I was one of his biggest fans whe he was at the helm. My only point was to agree with Pod that the 87 cup final was special for me. It was unbelievable to win the Scottish cup after so many semi- final disappointments in the 80's. The town and the celebrations afterwards will live with me till I die.

I thought the atmosphere was great in 2013 and a good party afterwards. If it was better in '87 then is that down to 2013 being played on a Sunday? It did dampen things a little. I agree that the atmosphere in town in 2000 was unbeatable, especially after such a long wait!

Here's a question. Who, from the 2013 side, would get into the 1987 side, and vice versa.

McGinn and Thompson only from the starting line ups. McLean might be possible, but he was just coming back from injury.

Dummet might get the nod at left back but not sure?