Danny Lennon

Would you say that winding up in the third division is a measure of Gus's tenure with us?

Partly, probably more to do with what happened after he left us - getting QotS relegated from Divisions' One to Two (as it was then) and consequently being sacked.

I reckon that managers are assessed, in the main, by their results and that successful ones get poached away to bigger clubs and unsuccessful ones get sacked/let go and end up with smaller clubs or out of the game.

Edited by Bud the Baker

For as long as I can remember, Saints have taken the cheap option when it comes to managers. Jim Clunie leaves - appoint the physio, Miller leaves - get the Stirling Albion manager, right down to when we went from Hendrie to appointing his assistant, then his assistant, then a lower league manager, then his assistant, then his assistant...

Clunie was sacked, as was Fergie, by two different BOD/chairmen.. We're you not aware it was part of our charter that has been handed down.whistling.gif

A few managers have their better moments in charge and even the outstanding managers (such as Ferguson and Wenger) have had times when the fans were calling for their dismissal.

What cannot be argued against at St Mirren is that the club has been badly managed since the time of Gus McPherson by a combination of managers, coaches and the BoD.

Despite the modest aspirations and protestations by some on here, we have never in living memory experienced the level of success in the SPFL enjoyed by those giants of the Scottish game such as Ross County, Inverness Caley, Motherwell, Hamilton Accies, Kilmarnock and St Johnstone.

But at the same time even the likes of the little diddy teams of Sevco, Hearts and Hibs, who currently have dropped down a league (or three), have had better days.

We probably have enjoyed more than our fair share of cup successes but it is not the St Mirren way to have a consistency in the league - ie to finish in the top half.

This is apparently an ambition which is beyond the means of a club from the biggest town in Scotland.

A few managers have their better moments in charge and even the outstanding managers (such as Ferguson and Wenger) have had times when the fans were calling for their dismissal.

What cannot be argued against at St Mirren is that the club has been badly managed since the time of Gus McPherson by a combination of managers, coaches and the BoD.

Despite the modest aspirations and protestations by some on here, we have never in living memory experienced the level of success in the SPFL enjoyed by those giants of the Scottish game such as Ross County, Inverness Caley, Motherwell, Hamilton Accies, Kilmarnock and St Johnstone.

But at the same time even the likes of the little diddy teams of Sevco, Hearts and Hibs, who currently have dropped down a league (or three), have had better days.

We probably have enjoyed more than our fair share of cup successes but it is not the St Mirren way to have a consistency in the league - ie to finish in the top half.

This is apparently an ambition which is beyond the means of a club from the biggest town in Scotland.

I would argue against this - Lennon got 2 8th place finishes and a national trophy - results that Gus McPherson could only dream about.

I would argue against this - Lennon got 2 8th place finishes and a national trophy - results that Gus McPherson could only dream about.

... and when Ross County and Hamilton were finishing above us in previous seasons under Derek Adams and Billy Reid they were usually signing and releasing even more duds than we did in DL's worst seasons in the transfer market! Hamilton used to be famous for releasing summer signings by September!

If 8th place after several years of bedding down in the SPFL is your idea of ultimate success for St Mirren so be it.

I did emphasize that I was referring to our league performances and not our cup record which is a less reliable performance indicator.

Lennon was not a failure - but he was hardly a success either in the context of the quality and stature of the clubs we were playing against.

Maybe you have to be as old as me to appreciate how little we aspire to these days.

If 8th place after several years of bedding down in the SPFL is your idea of ultimate success for St Mirren so be it.

I did emphasize that I was referring to our league performances and not our cup record which is a less reliable performance indicator.

Lennon was not a failure - but he was hardly a success either in the context of the quality and stature of the clubs we were playing against.

Maybe you have to be as old as me to appreciate how little we aspire to these days.

I'm probably older than you, and 8th isn't my idea of "ultimate success" but you quoted every manager since Gus, when in fact the manager after Gus was more successful, if you had said Danny Lennon was the most successful since the eighties I couldn't have argued. but to say "one thing you can't argue about" and then say something that is not only arguable but probably blatantly untrue is just silly.

• 3 weeks later...

Danny was a poor manager. We got lucky a couple of years ago with Gonsalves, thanks to him we got to a final, won a cup and he got a few of the goals that kept us up. He turned up as loan player and I'm sure Danny had no say in his arrival. Like most of us I'm sure he'd never heard of him or he team he came from.

Our league performances that season were for the most part terrible. We dodged the drop because Dundee were completely out if their depth. Remember they finished the previous season with a points total closer to the team at the bottom in the league than Ross County who won it.

Lennon lucky with Gonsalves? Consider a year later, another loan player - Djemba Djemba turns up and is put straight into the team for a cup tie.He is clearly not fit, he can't run. What happened before that game? Was he not given a fitness test? Or more worryingly and I think this is more likely, he was given a fitness test, he failed it and Danny picked him anyway.

I'm sure Danny is a nice enough wee guy but he is not a premier league manager. Remember our defence of the league cup, beaten in the first round at home by a team from a lower league. That was much more typical of Saints during his time.

Danny was a poor manager. We got lucky a couple of years ago with Gonsalves, thanks to him we got to a final, won a cup and he got a few of the goals that kept us up. He turned up as loan player and I'm sure Danny had no say in his arrival. Like most of us I'm sure he'd never heard of him or he team he came from.

Our league performances that season were for the most part terrible. We dodged the drop because Dundee were completely out if their depth. Remember they finished the previous season with a points total closer to the team at the bottom in the league than Ross County who won it.

Lennon lucky with Gonsalves? Consider a year later, another loan player - Djemba Djemba turns up and is put straight into the team for a cup tie.He is clearly not fit, he can't run. What happened before that game? Was he not given a fitness test? Or more worryingly and I think this is more likely, he was given a fitness test, he failed it and Danny picked him anyway.

I'm sure Danny is a nice enough wee guy but he is not a premier league manager. Remember our defence of the league cup, beaten in the first round at home by a team from a lower league. That was much more typical of Saints during his time.

You. Forgot to add. In. Stephane bahoken. In Danny's words. The one we've been waiting for.

People only miss Danny because he was replaced by one of the worst managers in the history of St Mirren. Teale doesn't have the experience and can't be judged as harshly and Craig. Danny Lennon wasn't the answer and he left at the right time, the BOD have made this mess and will have to deal with the consequences.

Danny will always be fondly remembered as a cup winning manager and should be given respect for that for ever more, however our form in the league under him was poor.

I thought letting him go was the right thing to do, but replacing him with Tommy clearly was a barking decision that backfired big time.

Nobody is perfect, none of us on here have gone through life without making mistakes. The board made a big mistake, and compounded it by not immediately bringing in an experienced manager as soon as TC was gone.

Given how close the Argentinian deal was to going through I can only assume that they assumed they would bring in their own people in January which is why GT was kept on. When that deal went sour we were left high and dry.

The sooner the club is sold the better. I really don't think we can move forward again until it is.

People only miss Danny because he was replaced by one of the worst managers in the history of St Mirren. Teale doesn't have the experience and can't be judged as harshly and Craig. Danny Lennon wasn't the answer and he left at the right time, the BOD have made this mess and will have to deal with the consequences.

"In a corner..." - "Didn't want to put off potential buyers..." Yet, they gave Tommy Craig a TWO YEAR DEAL! So, immediately buyers would need to pay off an extra year. It's just one poorly spun line of pish after another. Bit like Ebbsfleet, who have a stand named after a Manager who overspent and actually left for a day.

Danny will always be fondly remembered as a cup winning manager and should be given respect for that for ever more, however our form in the league under him was poor.

I thought letting him go was the right thing to do, but replacing him with Tommy clearly was a barking decision that backfired big time.

Nobody is perfect, none of us on here have gone through life without making mistakes. The board made a big mistake, and compounded it by not immediately bringing in an experienced manager as soon as TC was gone.

Given how close the Argentinian deal was to going through I can only assume that they assumed they would bring in their own people in January which is why GT was kept on. When that deal went sour we were left high and dry.

The sooner the club is sold the better. I really don't think we can move forward again until it is.

However the club hasn't been sold and the whole thing rumbles on. If a proper manager is not in place soon the club can shove their season ticket. I for one will not make the same mistake this time as last year. I will be buying hee haw.

However the club hasn't been sold and the whole thing rumbles on. If a proper manager is not in place soon the club can shove their season ticket. I for one will not make the same mistake this time as last year. I will be buying hee haw.

Appreciate that mate and doubt you will be alone.

I'll be there every season until I'm six feet under or until the club goes pop.

It's in the blood, and frankly I've nothing better to do on a Saturday afternoon :-)

IIRC the chairman said in an interview that the reason for not renewing DL's contract was that the BoD wanted someone to take the club in a new direction.

They got their wish.

It's in the blood, and frankly I've nothing better to do on a Saturday afternoon :-)

Absolutely get that Div.I will be renewing my season tickets as usual and going to the away games right up to the point I see a group of spoiled chancers not trying and not giving a shit because that's not the St Mirren I know and love. The BoD have relied way too long on our good faith. The bank account of good faith is now empty. I don't even feel a connection to the club this season. Maybe I'm going through the motions as much as the players.

I understand however the only way I have to initiate change at the club is to vote with my feet. I cannot bring myself to fork out nearly £300 to people who have treated us so badly. If there is a new manager at the helm with new ideas I will sign up. However I'm not signing up for more of the same.

That'll be this week then..?

After all, it's only a game of football. whistling.gif

IIRC the chairman said in an interview that the reason for not renewing DL's contract was that the BoD wanted someone to take the club in a new direction.

To then promote his bumbling assistant on a 2 year deal who was party to many of the poor signings in previous seasons was quite frankly MADNESS.
One Step Beyond......

Wasn't that in reference to a buyer.

Excellent point about Thompson and Teale being great signings 3 seasons ago. It should have been a top priority last summer to replace those two (and Goodwin) as they reached the end of their SPL shelf life and bring in some new influential older players instead of promoting players from the youth team and taking a punt on players stepping up from lower leagues.

the problem being we backed these three and Tommy Craig instead of the manager.