How Many Seasons To Go Back Up?

We will do well to come up in the next five years. There will be a period of adjustment - my guess would be that will take a couple of seasons. After that, we should hope to be challenging for play-off spots.

I would be (very pleasantly) surprised if we return to the top flight before the decade is out, unless aided by league reconstruction.

Pretty much what he said.

I just love reading the optimistic posts from forum user's who quickly become pessimists at the first hint of trouble.

In answer to the forum user who started the thread I shall now reveal my prediction, reveal it I shall my prediction indeed.

Don't be so pessimistic! thumbup2.gif

It will depend on a number of factors, like who will the new manager be, what budget is available to purchase new players, who the BOD,s will be assuming Gilmour and co can get someone to buy the club etc etc....My guess would 3 seasons. 2 of which we will reach the play-off stages but are unsuccessful in getting promotion, by season 3 we will get automatic promotion, of course I would like promotion in one season, but it's pure guesswork. Still it will be a change to travel to other grounds and hopefully see us get back to winning ways and again hopefully play in front of bigger home crowds.

I'm optimistic we can go back up in 1 through the playoffs.

Reality is we probably won't win the League but should definitely be a top 3 side.

I worry that if we don't go straight back up we could lose momentum and finance and could stay down for several years.

Does anyone have Tom Hendrie's number - just in case!

As much as its a negative to be relegated to a lower tier it's a fantastic opportunity for a forward thinking club to capitalise on the new playing environment and the probability of a winning team to garner interest from new/lapsed/young fans.

It will depend on a number of factors, like who will the new manager be, what budget is available to purchase new players, who the BOD,s will be assuming Gilmour and co can get someone to buy the club etc etc....My guess would 3 seasons. 2 of which we will reach the play-off stages but are unsuccessful in getting promotion, by season 3 we will get automatic promotion, of course I would like promotion in one season, but it's pure guesswork. Still it will be a change to travel to other grounds and hopefully see us get back to winning ways and again hopefully play in front of bigger home crowds.

I would love to feel more optimistic than I do, but while anything is possible, I don't see where automatic promotion in three seasons comes from. In season one it looks like we will face Hibs, Motherwell, Falkirk, Queens, maybe Sevco in place of Hibs/Motherwell. I see no way we will win the league, and a playoff route would undoubtably see tough games against the likes of those four teams, plus a Hamilton / Thistle / County / Killie top flight team. I just don't see us negotiating a way up in season one.

Of course, facing Hibs / Motherwell / Falkirk / Queens in season one means facing most of them again in season two. Not everyone can go up, and IF two of our next-season opponents DO go up, that naturally means two top flight teams coming down, so likely two from Thistle / Killie / Accies / County... It ain't getting any easier in season two.

....and so it goes on, barring reconstruction. I think folk can see what I'm getting at - for the next five or six seasons at least, the Championship isn't going to be mostly populated with the Livingstons, Forfars, Cowdenbeaths, Alloas, Dumbartons and so on of this world (no disrespect.) It is going to be in all but name an 'SPL 2' - with many big clubs. We will be facing many clubs who will spend money to bring in better players that (IMHO) will see those clubs relatively easily keep St Mirren out of the top flight. We can already point to Uncle Roy spending at County, Motherwell bringing in McDonald and others, and sure as hell, Hibs and Sevco will outspend anyone.

Strap yourselves in for the long haul people. The likes of Raith Rovers and Morton will be no mugs either. Could be a long time until we totally clear the decks and re-build a promotion winning team.

Edited by pozbaird

I still think if we get the right manager in place in the next few days and he gets to work to identify 3 or 4 experienced players to help the good young ones then we might be up there...over to you SG and co... Nae pressure whistling.gif

Edited by proudtobeabuddy

I still think if we get the right manger in place in the next few days and he gets to work to identify 3 or 4 experienced players to help the good young ones then we might be up there...over to you SG and co... Nae pressure whistling.gif

JESUS?!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Doesn't do well with crosses mind you.

Edited by stlucifer

I would love to feel more optimistic than I do, but while anything is possible, I don't see where automatic promotion in three seasons comes from. In season one it looks like we will face Hibs, Motherwell, Falkirk, Queens, maybe Sevco in place of Hibs/Motherwell. I see no way we will win the league, and a playoff route would undoubtably see tough games against the likes of those four teams, plus a Hamilton / Thistle / County / Killie top flight team. I just don't see us negotiating a way up in season one.

Of course, facing Hibs / Motherwell / Falkirk / Queens in season one means facing most of them again in season two. Not everyone can go up, and IF two of our next-season opponents DO go up, that naturally means two top flight teams coming down, so likely two from Thistle / Killie / Accies / County... It ain't getting any easier in season two.

....and so it goes on, barring reconstruction. I think folk can see what I'm getting at - for the next five or six seasons at least, the Championship isn't going to be mostly populated with the Livingstons, Forfars, Cowdenbeaths, Alloas, Dumbartons and so on of this world (no disrespect.) It is going to be in all but name an 'SPL 2' - with many big clubs. We will be facing many clubs who will spend money to bring in better players that (IMHO) will see those clubs relatively easily keep St Mirren out of the top flight. We can already point to Uncle Roy spending at County, Motherwell bringing in McDonald and others, and sure as hell, Hibs and Sevco will outspend anyone.

Strap yourselves in for the long haul people. The likes of Raith Rovers and Morton will be no mugs either. Could be a long time until we totally clear the decks and re-build a promotion winning team.

Indeed , it becomes a difficult one to predict with so many variables and unknowns in the equation , it is a totally different league from what ICT faced when Butcher brought them , straight back up . .

We certainly have better facilities than when we were last in the second tier , which should be a bonus given the way that wee Anxious bemoaned our previous facilities . Of course , it was wee Anxious that took us up the last time and he established us at the top of the league (05-06) by the October ( IIRC) . I'm not advocating a return of wee Anxious but that is probably the kind of situation we would need to achieve to get straight back up . .

As you mention , there are always going to be other clubs around us with more money to throw around and whilst a big bag of money hasn't always been the answer ( sevco being an example of that) , it can be the difference to securing the services of a key player or seeing him go to a near opponent , who , is willing to throw the money around. .

Whoever is going to be the next manager is going to be a major key and giving him the time and wherewithal to be in a position to put a competitive team together will also be major. .

Just been reading the local rag over here in Dunbartonshire, and the Sons skipper, Andy Graham talking about next season, refers to St Mirren as "a huge club".

Aw, bless.... I could get used to this relegation to the diddy leagues malarkey. He also reckons the league is going to be "brilliant" next season. I wonder if he will still reckon so after we've nicked his gaffer.

*BUMP*

Ouch!

Edited by Drew