New Gaffer's First 'update'

1st June is the most critical period? Based on?? The new season is months away and there is plenty of time to get the RIGHT players in. Tell me what all the other managers in the Championship are doing in the transfer market at this time? BTW, there is another possibility that a lot of available players are also on holiday. Bite your lip and wait.

Based on it being the approximate opening of the transfer window and many players becoming available at the end of May. Now it's best not to splurge all your money at once but a combination of a coupla decent looking transfers now followed by the manager holding back some funds to see who becomes available as the deadline approaches in August always seems the best way to me.

Early signings give the impression (at least) of a plan even if in the case of Harkins they don't work out rather than the meandering we saw over the last two windows. Key roles must be filled by the start of the season like 3 CH's (2 starting plus cover) unlike last year. And no gambling with unfit players - it rarely works out.

When do you go on holiday.

If by your question do you mean "when do I think its right for the new manager of a relegated side with several releases, several senior players out of contract, several senior players able to walk as the automatic cut by half has kicked in on their contract" is appropriate.

I would say in the four weeks before he signed when his season was finished, or after securing deals with those mentioned above, and having someone working on a list of targets he has identified. But thats just how effective businesses insist on their key employees managing their annual leave entitlement, obviously it all goes out the window if Thomas Cook wont play ball on switching that week in Torremolinos without incurring a fee.

If by your question do you mean "when do I think its right for the new manager of a relegated side with several releases, several senior players out of contract, several senior players able to walk as the automatic cut by half has kicked in on their contract" is appropriate.

I would say in the four weeks before he signed when his season was finished, or after securing deals with those mentioned above, and having someone working on a list of targets he has identified. But thats just how effective businesses insist on their key employees managing their annual leave entitlement, obviously it all goes out the window if Thomas Cook wont play ball on switching that week in Torremolinos without incurring a fee.

No. I meant,I think your in need of a holiday.

I did think he would sort out the contracts of the out of contract players before going on holiday right enough.

I take it Thompson and Wylde etc are now free agents? As they certainly don't have a contract with us anymore.

Holy f**k lol.gif

I always thought you were a decent poster but you're seriously losing the plot here.

I did think he would sort out the contracts of the out of contract players before going on holiday right enough.

I take it Thompson and Wylde etc are now free agents? As they certainly don't have a contract with us anymore.

The manager of the club doesn't deal with the detail regarding player contracts. It's up to him who he offers new deals to and which parameters he is willing to work within inside his overall budget constraints but the actual paperwork and negotiations is/are done by Brian Caldwell on his behalf.

Same goes for new players. The manager will identify players he wants, the chief exec does the legwork to get them to the club.

Everyone is entitled to a break, and the reality is that nothing really stops for holidays.

More news may well come out in due course about players who are leaving, or who have been offered new deals.

Thats correct, plus anyone who was under contract but got hit with the 50% cut for being relegated can usually walk as part of that deal if they think they can do better elsewhere. For example Goody (think he is still under contract) I wouldn't be surprised to see Dundee, Thistle, Killie, County, Fakes, Well or Hamilton offer him premiership wages, or worse still go to Hibs or Sevco..! Edited by Lord Pityme

The manager of the club doesn't deal with the detail regarding player contracts. It's up to him who he offers new deals to and which parameters he is willing to work within inside his overall budget constraints but the actual paperwork and negotiations is/are done by Brian Caldwell on his behalf.

Same goes for new players. The manager will identify players he wants, the chief exec does the legwork to get them to the club.

Everyone is entitled to a break, and the reality is that nothing really stops for holidays.

More news may well come out in due course about players who are leaving, or who have been offered new deals.

This.

Indeed, a set of circumstances that those who don't have an axe to grind have been open to acknowledging for quite some time.

Don't let it get in the way of a petty vendetta, however.

Must say I was also pretty surprised to see the manager's first update consisted of the news he is off on holiday and half the contracts aren't sorted out.

The leave it to Brian Caldwell attitude is what got us in this mess in the first place!

I would have hoped he would be busting gut to use his contacts to get some early deals sorted. It certainly would make a better impression on a potential new signing to have the manager drive to see him rather than get a call on his behalf.

I guess that's Scottish football for you.

This.

Indeed, a set of circumstances that those who don't have an axe to grind have been open to acknowledging for quite some time.

Don't let it get in the way of a petty vendetta, however.

Let me get this straight all the Scottish managers quoted in the media over the last two weeks saying they were happy to get so and so to put pen to paper played no part in it..? Really?

like Aitken being quoted only today as being happy he got his goalie resigned before heading off on holiday... Well the bunch of fibbers!

You, me and all other supporters have no idea what happened before Ian went on holiday. Let's wait and see.

Thats correct, plus anyone who was under contract but got hit with the 50% cut for being relegated can usually walk as part of that deal if they think they can do better elsewhere. For example Goody (think he is still under contract) I wouldn't be surprised to see Dundee, Thistle, Killie, County, Fakes, Well or Hamilton offer him premiership wages, or worse still go to Hibs or Sevco..!

Goody at Sevco. I can just imagine the seethe. be up there with getting Neil Lennon as thier next managerlol.giflol.giflol.giflol.giflol.giflol.giflol.giflol.giflol.giflol.giflol.giflol.giflol.giflol.giflol.giflol.giflol.giflol.giflol.giflol.gif

Let me get this straight all the Scottish managers quoted in the media over the last two weeks saying they were happy to get so and so to put pen to paper played no part in it..? Really?

like Aitken being quoted only today as being happy he got his goalie resigned before heading off on holiday... Well the bunch of fibbers!

post-2846-0-41129300-1433177561_thumb.jp

Imagine Santa taking a break before Christmas when there's a good choice at reasonable prices. His season finished 5 weeks ago, why wait till the most critical period, and in a new job to go on your holibobs?

Good point. So much for getting the manager in at the right time so he can get a team sorted quickly to stop a repeat of last season.

Exactly but he made time to tell Teale his time was up.