Sheffield Wednesday V St Mirren Friendly 1/8/15

shull

Now the dust has settled I think the over reaction, while standard, shouldn't be totally ignored.

This was a friendly, a chance to improve fitness and see where we are.

We were clearly against a more than decent team but it should also be used as a gauge of what our strengths and weaknesses are.

The manager, I'd hope, should have seen enough to confirm the obvious weak points and strengthen his view of areas we need to address.

If nothing is learned then it's been a waste of time,and money for the fans who made the journey.

The season starts this Friday, not dismissing last weeks win against Berwick.

It's important, I believe, we get off to a good start, if not a victory a decent performance.

Now the dust has settled I think the over reaction, while standard, shouldn't be totally ignored.

This was a friendly, a chance to improve fitness and see where we are.

We were clearly against a more than decent team but it should also be used as a gauge of what our strengths and weaknesses are.

The manager, I'd hope, should have seen enough to confirm the obvious weak points and strengthen his view of areas we need to address.

If nothing is learned then it's been a waste of time,and money for the fans who made the journey.

The season starts this Friday, not dismissing last weeks win against Berwick.

It's important, I believe, we get off to a good start, if not a victory a decent performance.

See ye at Ibrox, Boss. bye1.gif

As I've mentioned previously, the next four or five signings will make or break our season, and ultimately the manager's future at the club.

We need a couple of experienced "marquee" signings (relative to our level), combined with one or two loan signings, who have proved themselves elsewhere.

We need players that can deliver in terms of performance on the park and who can provide guidance and organisation to our younger players, particularly in defence.

A 15 goal striker is essential too.

The next two weeks will be crucial.

Can the manager do it?

My fingers are crossed.

Edited by FTOF

Evening lads, thought I'd pop in to give my thoughts.

Football wise, got to be honest, you did look pretty dire, but given the dearth of money in Scottish football, compared to the championship where the price tags are getting as laughable as the PL, it's nothing to get worked up about. For the first 20 minutes you looked OK but whoever you had at left back got absolutely rinsed by Ross Wallace and it basically led to a hole you couldn't climb out of. It looked like you had a fair few kids out there and it was almost certainly a positive experience playing at a bigger ground like Hillsborough. Pre-season means very little, we had four put past us by bleeding Scunthorpe on Wednesday. Got to say, I'm no expert on goings on in Paisley, but calling for the manager's head when he hasn't been in charge for a single league game does just seem a tiny bit premature.

One last thing - your fans were a credit to the team today, there's been a fair few sides who haven't brought anywhere near that (Wigan, QPR and Reading spring to mind) and you made plenty of noise. Very best of luck for your game against Rangers next week, hope you give them a right tonking. I'll be keeping an eye out for you this season, hope to see you back in the SPL soon.

Good post mate. Just as you are no expert on all things Paisley, I am no expert on much of current day Sheffield Wednesday. However, I don't think I am overstepping the mark in saying that in reading comments on here from folk calling for the manager's head before one competitive league match - you are not reading anything 'typically St Mirren'. You are reading something 'typically bawbag toaster muppet-bawz whataboutery'.

Not sure if the phrase 'bawbag toaster muppet-bawz whataboutery' is commonly used down Yorkshire way, but it roughly translates as 'complete fcuking wanker'.

Best wishes for season 2015/16.

I agree. (With FTOF, above)

There appears to be no daft rushing in to buy.

IM appears to have a plan and to be sticking with it... AND he appears to be confident of adding specific quality players.

I'm doing what Buddies always do - I'm having faith.

And hoping he's a hendrie or a fergie not a Craig...

He has a lot riding on the next few weeks...

Edited by bluto

As I've mentioned previously, the next four or five signings will make or break our season, and ultimately the manager's future at the club.

We need a couple of experienced "marquee" signings (relative to our level), combined with one or two loan signings, who have proved themselves elsewhere.

We need players that can deliver in terms of performance on the park and who can provide guidance and organisation to our younger players, particularly in defence.

A 15 goal striker is essential too.

The next two weeks will be crucial.

Can the manager do it?

My fingers are crossed.

There is certainly a degree of pressure on, but that is always the way.

I said at the end of the season that we now have an opportunity to wipe the slate clean(ish) without the pressure of the annual relegation shitfest hanging over the club. To this end, the new manager MUST be given adequate time to develop the playing side of things. Any talk of bagging him on the basis of preseason games is the preposterous froth of imbecilic, attention-seeking rockets.

The only just cause for considering Murray's position would be if we faced the genuine danger of dropping down to the third tier. He knows, and, it would seem, accepts this (based on early interviews).

Yes, we need to strengthen. Of course we do. Did anyone think this was going to be a straightforward proposition, though. Everyone is after the elusive 15 goal a season striker, and the experienced, dominant centre half. We might get lucky, for, let's be honest, there is a hefty chunk of luck required when you're operating in the transfer market at this level. Gambles will be taken - some might pay off, others won't.

This is all part and parcel of following a club like St Mirren. People who either can't grasp this or refuse to accept it, would be better finding a new way to pass their time.

If course Ian Murray should be given time.

He should only be bagged if it looks certain that we wont make the play offs.

What interests me is WHY folk are even talking about bagging Murray already.

Its obvious that we've appointed a manager who managerial record to date is dubious.

Edited by nosferatu

Its obvious that we've appointed a manager who managerial record to date is dubious.

No, I was wrong. It ISN'T too early on a Sunday for shite alias bollocks.

First time I've seen young Baird play. Was totally outmatched against their big number 9 but once he went off, thought Baird looked fairly good for such a young lad.

He was like man mountain.

6 feet 6 and built like a brick shithouse.

Fortunately he won't come up against anyone like that in our championship.

Sacked for not making the play-offs? I think IM needs more than one season to not only get us promoted but to have a suitable side to stay up. We are away off having that strength but this season will be make or break for certain players plus giving others more experience. This is the toughest league to get out of with Rangers, Hibs and a few other good sides. The club needs stability after a bad season. Let's wait and see how we perform with the additional players that Ian wants to bring in (and gets them).

Correct , and Conlan will be offski soon too , simply not good enough !

Yeah much as I hate to say it, Howison and Conlan have not impressed. If it was up to me they would have been given contracts. In saying that Howison looks as if he could be a player if he could be arsed.

On the greater scheme of things friendlies are just an opportunity to build up match fitness, and bed in new singings/systems etc... The Lord Pityme general rule of thumb for friendlies is there is nothing to,look into unless you win, or lose by four clear goals (opposition considered).

Yesterday Murray gave everyone a run out, tried his systems and nothing really worked. Goodwin was the only one who could put his foot on the ball and create time for others, but eventually he just got pulled up for every challenge as he seemed to be the only one who tried to close them down, and win back possession. As a defence unit yesterday we were as poor as i have ever seen.

How much we miss McGinn, McLean, Tesselaar and even Wylde was evident as no one other than Goody took any sort of initiative in midfield, one chance on goal in the whole game was all we could summon up with Thommo trying to direct a header from a cross with no power in it.

I know now we wont miss Ar- Cant as Gow has taken on from where that wage thief left off. We didn't create any chances, we couldn't score even when they had subbed more than half their team. These are genuine and real concerns that must be addressed if we are to stay in the Championship never mind contest play offs. Wednesday by their own fans admission are nothing special but we couldn't even give them a game, and that is a worry that none if the recent signings looked like they wanted to make a statement of intention for the season ahead. In fact the only time we looked like we had a coherent shape was when the whole team turned round and walked back to the centre line after conceding each goal.

I think unless he can perform a miracle in signings this week Murray needs to park the bus against Sevco and go for damage limitation as conceding five or so again will really effect the morale for the season.

On the bright side, what a great day out, great crew, train journey, sinking several in Sheffield's hostelries and a warm welcome from the home fans and people of Sheffield. I had said before our first five games will determine where we will be at for the season, i sincerely hope some answers and performances can be found to enable us to have a team that can play and compete in the league. This game is best forgotten as it gave us nothing positive, lets look forward and hope things get better come Friday, and those first five or six fixtures.

Sacked for not making the play-offs? I think IM needs more than one season to not only get us promoted but to have a suitable side to stay up. We are away off having that strength but this season will be make or break for certain players plus giving others more experience. This is the toughest league to get out of with Rangers, Hibs and a few other good sides. The club needs stability after a bad season. Let's wait and see how we perform with the additional players that Ian wants to bring in (and gets them).

Murray was given the play offs as an absolute minimum by our chairman, to continually be in denial about this serves no one any good. Ffs we have just come down from the premier league, why on earth is reaching the play offs in a lower league not the absolute minimum we should aim for in a lower league against lesser opposition???

Hearts were rank before they went down and came back up and then some, why should we be looking to achieve less?

Murray was given the play offs as an absolute minimum by our chairman, to continually be in denial about this serves no one any good. Ffs we have just come down from the premier league, why on earth is reaching the play offs in a lower league not the absolute minimum we should aim for in a lower league against lesser opposition???

Hearts were rank before they went down and came back up and then some, why should we be looking to achieve less?

Hearts got Anne Budge with her money plus debt written off to bring in players we simply cannot compete or afford. Hearts also had around 17,000 at home games bringing in more revenue. They also had a good nucleus of talent which came through for them and retained virtually all of them. We have lost 2 of our best in McLean and McGinn and not replaced that quality.

We have already had the discussion on what SG allegedly allegedly stated to IM while you were clearly on the interview panel (not).

We will face a stronger Rangers and decent Hibs side no matter what some think. This is a tough league to get out of and Hearts are the exception. Just where is the money to entice, compete and bring in the required quality without going back into debt - assuming the bank gave us the loan?

Edited by nedflanders123

Hearts got Anne Budge with her money plus debt written off to bring in players we simply cannot compete or afford. Hearts also had around 17,000 at home games bringing in more revenue. They also had a good nucleus of talent which came through for them and retained virtually all of them. We have lost 2 of our best in McLean and McGinn and not replaced that quality.

We have already had the discussion on what SG allegedly allegedly stated to IM while you were clearly on the interview panel (not).

We will face a stronger Rangers and decent Hibs side no matter what some think. This is a tough league to get out of and Hearts are the exception. Just where is the money to entice, compete and bring in the required quality without going back into debt - assuming the bank gave us the loan?

The point remains we played higher standard of opposition a few weeks ago, but now for some reason you and a few others feel we shouldnt expect to be competitive in this league before a ball is kicked!