Club Shop Rebranded

As others on here have said, I've no issue with us leasing the stadium. Celtic and rangers reserves have used our grounds over the years, it's nothing new. As a financial agreement, it suits us.

What irks me is the fact that we are allowing Celtic to deface the stadium and promote themselves in our community ( so called 'one town, one team') and target our potential future supporters.

The fact that Celtic go to these lengths and have thought about signage throughout the stadium, shows the differing approaches and professionalism between the clubs. If there is one positive then let it be that st.mirren are taught a valuable lesson in brand management and marketing.

Not at all.

This NOT just using the grun fur a wee kick-aboot....

This will be a footballing EVENT FOR Shellic fans - not for passing fans of any other ilk except mibbe the odd Buddie who will shrug nonchalantly, and maybe smirk at the BoD, having been sage enough to generate cash for the club during a time when the stadium would otherwise have been dead and empty.

It's not as if it was merely using the ground of a wee diddy club for youth matches when only two dugs and their men might turn up with zero intention of buying any memorabilia. This is a sensible marketing opportunity for them.

This is a prestigious pre-season fest for the Green-minded and also for those fans of the teams they'll be playing. They have chosen to have that fitba festival in one of the handiest, tidiest and greyest concrete boxes available - and St Mirren will benefit. The whole point of it is to make money from ALL the fans who will be in attendance. SELLING things AT them. It's the whole point of fitba. Especially in Scotland. Just ask the SFA...

For Shellic to pay a fee for such money-spinner, THEY have to sell stuff to the kind of fans who want (for example) this season's new strips. I don't understand that bit, but I believe some of YOU who are carping also like buying stuff.

Such people NEED need a big sign to tell them where to get their stuff.

Edited by bluto

Havent read through any comments but had to come on to say that my ex's boy is getting married on Saturday and the reception is at the ground with us due to arrive around 2.45 - half an hour after the final whistle - that is bad enough - been assured all will be clear and if any of them hanging about there will be stewards there - fab - turn up in all your wedding gear to your ground and some of them could be hanging about. NOW THIS - disgrace - even without the wedding - disgrace absolutely no need!!! That sign better be covered up on Saturday - this wedding was booked WAY BEFORE any bloody celtic game!!!

EDITED TO SAY - Wee Paul who is getting married is a Saints fan (many of you will know him I realise), season ticket holder as are many of the guests going. His wife to be's family are from down south - oh come see our ground, come round here look at our bricks - BOOM - SHOCKING!!!

Edited by Miss Saint

I'm raging with this, yes great bit of business by leasing the ground out for 2 or 3 games, I've heard through Celtic fans at work that we are receiving 200k for these games, if this is true then great.

Now on facebook I've seen a picture posted by someone who likes to play a prank or two showing that the St.Mirren crest has been removed from the front of the stadium. If this is true then that's where I draw the line with board. If we have removed the club crest then as long as Gilmour and the other board members are at the club then I will not attend, I've still to renew 4 season tickets for the coming season, this will not be happening, I will not be spending money at the club on match days and I most certainly will not be buying the new strip or any training gear. Once the board are gone I will gladly return.

The club will not care that 1 adult and 3 kids are no longer attending, I know it will hurt me more not going to the home games but I do have some principles left and I would never sell out my mates never mind sell my soul to the devil.

Rant Over

Havent read through any comments but had to come on to say that my ex's boy is getting married on Saturday and the reception is at the ground with us due to arrive around 2.45 - half an hour after the final whistle - that is bad enough - been assured all will be clear and if any of them hanging about there will be stewards there - fab - turn up in all your wedding gear to your ground and some of them could be hanging about. NOW THIS - disgrace - even without the wedding - disgrace absolutely no need!!! That sign better be covered up on Saturday - this wedding was booked WAY BEFORE any bloody celtic game!!!

EDITED TO SAY - Wee Paul who is getting married is a Saints fan (many of you will know him I realise), season ticket holder as are many of the guests going. His wife to be's family are from down south - oh come see our ground, come round here look at our bricks - BOOM - SHOCKING!!!

I was neither up nor down to be honest about it all but after reading Miss Saint above, this puts a while new slant on things. Obviously Paul will want pictures taken at the tunnel area etc.

Have the club given you a guarantee that there won't be any Green Vermin signs anywhere spoiling your day?

David G has already put the figure up £60,000

I'm holding back on the abuse as we have no money and we are too lazy to come up with ideas to raise cash apart from dinners

Has the club stated the money will go into the playing budget?

I'm raging with this, yes great bit of business by leasing the ground out for 2 or 3 games, I've heard through Celtic fans at work that we are receiving 200k for these games, if this is true then great.

Now on facebook I've seen a picture posted by someone who likes to play a prank or two showing that the St.Mirren crest has been removed from the front of the stadium. If this is true then that's where I draw the line with board. If we have removed the club crest then as long as Gilmour and the other board members are at the club then I will not attend, I've still to renew 4 season tickets for the coming season, this will not be happening, I will not be spending money at the club on match days and I most certainly will not be buying the new strip or any training gear. Once the board are gone I will gladly return.

The club will not care that 1 adult and 3 kids are no longer attending, I know it will hurt me more not going to the home games but I do have some principles left and I would never sell out my mates never mind sell my soul to the devil.

Rant Over

FFS, you're making a "decision" when you have no proof of this "despicable" act? bangin.gif

I despair at some peoples knee jerk reaction to "not go to games" at any damn excuse.

If it's not the lack of signing players it's some other nonsense to shout out loud on a forum.

You talk about principles, have some and do what you say, no need to shout about it here. bye1.gif

David G has already put the figure up £60,000

I'm holding back on the abuse as we have no money and we are too lazy to come up with ideas to raise cash apart from dinners

I thought he said, £6 million...?

I can see the pov of the unhappy Buddies.

A few years ago, for a Brad Pitt Zombie Movie, they brought yellow NY taxis into George Square, changed the traffic signs to look American, brought in US cars, had guys dressed as US cops and pretended that Glasgow WAS New York!

They said it was Movie Magic, but it sickened me, and has made my trips back to Paisley a lot more tricky. I won't go near Glasgow anymore. Train to Inverness via Edinburgh, then Bus back down the west coast, off at the Erskine Bridge then walk south...

Robert Burns said,

"The rank is but the guinea stamp,

The man's the gowd for a' that"

St Mirren Park may briefly have strange shapes and colours on it, but it's still the Buddies' home.

Can everyone who says they'll never be back, will cancel flights up for games, will now never think of the stadium as our home, and would rather their best mate shagged their wife please do me a favour?

Please send me new Pampers, I've just pished my pants!

So in your opinion it is acceptable then?

I was neither up nor down to be honest about it all but after reading Miss Saint above, this puts a while new slant on things. Obviously Paul will want pictures taken at the tunnel area etc.

Have the club given you a guarantee that there won't be any Green Vermin signs anywhere spoiling your day?

When Paul realised about the game being on he obviously contacted the club and was assured the ground would be clear, ok fair enough. However I have thought of well will be looking out the window to see rubbish strewn everywhere, stewards clearing up whatever. I'm waiting on Paul getting back to me all he said earlier was he was told it would be taken down tonight - bullshit IMO it'll be up til Saturday and what concerns me now is will the bloody shop will be open after tha game. He has just text to say they are saying they dont know if the shop will be there ons aturday -WELL TELL THEM ITS NOT AN OPTION THEN!!!

Morton supporter here. Threaten to boycott games over that. I saw this story posted on Facebook and thought it was a joke.

Totally unacceptable and embarrassing for any club to have that. The fact that your club owners allowed that tells you everything you need to know about them.

Shocked. Hope that shop sign will be GONE by the time we visit.

A Morton fan with the username "See you next season" yet you registered in 2006. Uhm...

1 average player.

I believe the number 6 is in the figure and it was followed by some zeros.

Wait.

You're saying one average player, then you're saying 60,000...

How much does an average player cost? Are we paying average players 5 grand a month?!

Obviously, next question?

Ok then, my next question would be.

Is it really worth alienating many life long supporters for the sake of making a quick buck from this shower of bigots?

Is that good enough for you?

Edited to aplogise as that's 2 questions.

Edited by Jimmy H

Is it really worth alienating many life long supporters for the sake of making a quick buck from this shower of bigots?

Alianating? FFS, take yer dress of ya drama queen.

A mountain out of a molehill, here's something, do you seriously believe this will have any real effect?

If you do, give the tooth fairy my regards. bangin.gif

Paul has just posted a foto of the tunnel celtic badge above it and celtic covers over dug oot chairs. Think we going down for a 'wee chat' tomoro im meant to be renewing my season ticket I really dont want to right now!

FFS, you're making a "decision" when you have no proof of this "despicable" act? bangin.gif

I despair at some peoples knee jerk reaction to "not go to games" at any damn excuse.

If it's not the lack of signing players it's some other nonsense to shout out loud on a forum.

You talk about principles, have some and do what you say, no need to shout about it here. bye1.gif

Read my post, it states 'IF' we have removed the club crest , stop post building whistling.gif

Edited to aplogise as that's 2 questions.

I'm guessing with the stance that you're taking that you have a high set of morals.

I presume then that you've taken all your money out of the bank and hidden it under your bed.

After all the banks are all highly corrupt organisations out to make a fast buck.

I'm not please about it, but I've got more important matters to think about.

As for the wedding; I'd certainly be seeking assurances that the wedding is in no way spoiled by the presence of any green bigot signage.

Otherwise I'd be expecting a fair bit of grovelling and a sizeable discount.

Overall, as much as I don't think it's a life changing issue, the board have shot themselves in the foot with the way they handled this situation. They surely must have expected some sort of negative reaction from the fans. blink.png

Edited by FTOF

Paul has just posted a foto of the tunnel celtic badge above it and celtic covers over dug oot chairs. Think we going down for a 'wee chat' tomoro im meant to be renewing my season ticket I really dont want to right now!

I feel for you - kick up enough of a stink and they might pay for your season tickets.

Hmm.

I have no problem with us renting out the ground, or even selling Celtic merchandise at the ground for these games. Good income and potentially some players on loan.

However, forcibly taking down club signage is a bit pathetic. I don't like that.

I feel for you - kick up enough of a stink and they might pay for your season tickets.

He has just spoke to someone and they said they werent sure about the crest but not allowed in tunnel anyway. I am gutted for wee Paul but we wont let it spoil the day, just a damn disgrace!!!

Unlike some, me included, you have a valid gripe here. You have someone here who has specifically booked St Mirren Park for a wedding over any other wedding venue you could have chosen. You didn't choose St Mirren Park randomly - it was obviously chosen for the emotional tie and the attachment to the football club. If the wedding was booked well before the Celtic deal then there simply should be NO Celtic signage visible for this important day. Anything that is being erected tonight should be taken down, or at least completely covered up.

The club shouldn't need to be told this. Surely to goodness they can recognise that a long-standing wedding booking at the ground should not be compromised by the Celtic deal in any way.

Will they though? As I mentioned earlier, any confidence I had in them that they actually give a fcuk about what the St Mirren support think has finally been eroded.

I genuinely hope the wedding day goes well, and the club display a bit of sensitivity to the occasion, and the reason you aren't in the Glynhill, Normandy, or any other hotel / wedding venue.