John Mcginn - Out Of Contract, Away, Farewell, Jacks Grandson Thread.

Pray tell then how do you think a "X year contract with a X year option" works..?

Because if i follow your logic then both the club or the player can decline the option? If that is so then it a straight term contract, which would make no sense to bugger around with extension options if both parties can simply decline.

Any agent worth his salt will get his young player as long a deal as possible, its called a job, and most people like a bit of security in their work.

Deals with options works for players who are never going to have a transfer value and are unlikely to play at a higher level than us. Guys like Grainger and Van Zanten have signed them in recent seasons.

It makes no sense for a promising young player who maybe worth something one day to sign a deal which gives the club so much control over his future. I think you're suggesting we give 3 year deals to young players with a 2 year option for the club... But not the player? What's the incentive there for him to sign that? If you're a good young player at St Mirren you don't want to be tied into a contract till your mid 20's... You want a platform to get yourself a move to a bigger club around the age of 21-22.

So according to you an agent should be getting his young players 5 and 6 year deals cause they're the longest available? Don't give up the day job, you're never going to make it as a football agent!

I had a chuckle at this:

"John had other options, so were really pleased that he has chosen Hibernian and the aim is for him to achieve his career goals at our club."

Best of luck with the goals.....

Edited by Drew

We will need to be patient. It seems.It's v tough getting players to sign these days. We are too far behind to worry about the title but a playoff shouldn't be beyond us. I think it will take time but here's hoping. I also predict a very heavy defeat next Friday possibly 4/5 nil but that is not a reason to panic. Let's see if the gaffer has a plan and with a little time he hopefully builds something worthwhile

Hibs are geared up for the top flight sadly we are not. We are were we want to be. We don't need to pay big money and we have four derby games this year. Whoop de whoop morton to play. Won't even get 6000 at them massive matches they are. Factor in.loss of TV money and general publicity and you will know we are going to have it tough

Edited by norrie82

Hibs are geared up for the top flight sadly we are not. We are were we want to be. We don't need to pay big money and we have four derby games this year. Whoop de whoop morton to play. Won't even get 6000 at them massive matches they are. Factor in.loss of TV money and general publicity and you will know we are going to have it tough

I had a chuckle at this:

"John had other options, so were really pleased that he has chosen Hibernian and the aim is for him to achieve his career goals at our club."

Best of luck with the goals.....

Good to know that John doesn't want to win the Premier League or Scottish Cup then

I think it's also worth pointing out that we've made more in transfer fees in the last 7 months than the last 7 years combined.

It's all well and good wailing and gnashing teeth about losing our young players for 6 figure sums.

However, it's a far better situation than what we had in the decade or so before Ralston. In that we were producing virtually no sellable assets at all.

I think it's also worth pointing out that we've made more in transfer fees in the last 7 months than the last 7 years combined.

It's all well and good wailing and gnashing teeth about losing our young players for 6 figure sums.

However, it's a far better situation than what we had in the decade or so before Ralston. In that we were producing virtually no sellable assets at all.

McLean & McGinn were with the club way before Ralston came along!

When was the last time we got 6000.

If we get off to a good start, I believe our average crowd attendance will be better than last season.

Norrie82.Please believe things are on the up.We now have a bright young ambitious manager.Factor in season ticket sales parachute payment McGinn fee and monies from the three Celtic pre season matches and I think you find we have raked in already around £2m.We have great prospects in the likes of Kelly Naismith Mallon Morgan etc along with impressive Agnew.Think we could be the dark horses this season COYS.

Norrie82.Please believe things are on the up.We now have a bright young ambitious manager.Factor in season ticket sales parachute payment McGinn fee and monies from the three Celtic pre season matches and I think you find we have raked in already around £2m.We have great prospects in the likes of Kelly Naismith Mallon Morgan etc along with impressive Agnew.Think we could be the dark horses this season COYS.

I hope the team is as positive and wish some of our supporters were.

It's not often (these days) that I sympathise with the BoD on anything, but handing out four year deals? Christ, after seeing Jens Paeslack against both Falkirk and Airdrie, I'd have given him a five year deal. They tread a fine line between risk and reward, balancing the books and offering the right terms to the right player for the right amount of time. In these regards, I wouldn't want the BoDs job for all the tea in China. They really are damned if they do and damned if they don't. Quite why they cannot do the small easy things when fans are willing to help do it for hee-haw, or why their communication with the support is utterly fcuking abysmal, is however, completely beyond me.

McGinn tweet.........

John McGinn (@jmcginn7) tweeted at 3:45 PM on Fri, Jul 31, 2015:

I'd like to thank everyone at St Mirren for a great 13 years. I wish the club all the best in the future and I will never forget that day ????

(https://twitter.com/jmcginn7/status/627127916007133184)

Fair play - a bit of class.

Still a fud, though.

It takes years to develop and produce players that can be sold on. The fact we are receiving 6 figure sums for players who were here for the majority of the time pre Ralston means I'm looking forward in ten years time to see the ones that are just starting at Ralston.

One day all the acrimony will be forgotten about and he can come back to the club for the LC winning reunion dinner. Until that day, fcuk um!

Ach, I'm not entirely serious in my projected enmity towards the lad. Modern football is what it is, and he is no different from the majority of players.

I think we've got to be realistic, McGinn and to a greater extent McLean are good players but not as good as McCarthy, McCarthur, Gauld etc.

Its been proven by the quality of the clubs in for them.

McGinn in my opinion will go on to become a steady Scottish Premiership player who might get really lucky and get a move to the English Championship but he's not any better than that.

Gauld? McGinn made him look less than ordinary any time they shared a pitch. At his age and stage in career he could become a Paul Lambert... or an Eoin Jess! Could go either way.

Aberdeen fans are still waiting on Jess fulfilling his promise!

Gauld? McGinn made him look less than ordinary any time they shared a pitch. At his age and stage in career he could become a Paul Lambert... or an Eoin Jess! Could go either way.

Aberdeen fans are still waiting on Jess fulfilling his promise!

Obviously somebody thought otherwise..................in fact quite a lot of ££££££ otherwise.