John Mcginn - Out Of Contract, Away, Farewell, Jacks Grandson Thread.

We gave him a three and a half year deal when he broke in, 2011 to 2015.

We can't be giving five year deals to anyone, just isn't worth the commitment. For every one who goes to on to be a sellable asset there's going to be four or five who aren't good enough but end up hanging around the squad with their long contracts anyway.

That why its three years with the clubs option to extend.... Or not!

Come on TC get with the programme.

Yes, and if he doesn't fit in or does not make an impact then they are stuck with him unless they can sell. Very few players get that length of contract unless you are top dollar at a top EPL side. We should not forget how much it has cost us to get rid of players on lengthy contract and who were failures at our club. Hibs have taken a risk and if it works out then they will have been proved right.

How comes Dundee Utd/Hamilton manage it? Have they out manoeuvred the old filth and play in the EPL now?

What makes me laugh out loud on the forum, and on this thread in particular is all the wailing, greeting, gnashing of teeth etc when a young player moves on from us for a paltry return on Investment...

But the same peeps wail, greet and gnash when presented with the obvious solution, and call it 'unaffordable, too expensive, unworkable' despite the fact other clubs like us do quite handsomely out of it!

So please tell me should we continue to sign these guys on relatively short term deals and let them walk for peanuts? Or... Should we insist the board actually do something about it and plan for the future?

Wont be the current board though, they have shown to be abject failures in getting any sort of half decent transfer fee in for a player in demand.

A big issue to be addressed if we move to a fan ownership model. Do we invest, or develop players for everyone else?

Edited by Lord Pityme

We gave him a three and a half year deal when he broke in, 2011 to 2015.

We can't be giving five year deals to anyone, just isn't worth the commitment. For every one who goes to on to be a sellable asset there's going to be four or five who aren't good enough but end up hanging around the squad with their long contracts anyway.

We gave him a two and a half year deal, he didn't make his debut until 2012/13. However, I'm fairly sure Mallan, Morgan and McLear all got three year deals towards the end of last season so we do hand them out. As you say, it's a gamble - for example, only a few months before McGinn got his long term deal Thomas Reilly got one.

A certain someone was furious yesterday that Ian Murray was talking about Hibs, I can only imagine he'll be apopletic with rage when he finds out he's also been talking about Hearts: http://www.scotsman.com/news/politics/top-stories/ian-murray-compares-labour-crisis-to-hearts-plight-1-3845824

Edited by Stu

That why its three years with the clubs option to extend.... Or not!

Come on TC get with the programme.

Well it would be a mutual extension option then, which the player could easily turn down.

John had a contract offer on the table from us for all last season.

Well it would be a mutual extension option then, which the player could easily turn down.

John had a contract offer on the table from us for all last season.

Not mutual, player cant turn it down, although there is negotiation on wages based on appearances. I.e. X amount of appearances earns you X amount of average full time wage up to X amount then full time average is paid.

Also at the option point, you can offer said player a new, long term better deal.

Mixed feelings - disappointed to see McGinn go for what I reckon'll be a rock bottom figure but given the threat (real or imaginary?) to go stateside and leave us with no compo I suppose it could've been worse. Realistically there was no way he could've stayed with the club although it's unfortunate he's gone to one of our main rivals for the coming season.

Insert suitable idiom....................

PS - 17/3/13! holiday.gif

Edited by Bud the Baker

We gave him a two and a half year deal, he didn't make his debut until 2012/13. However, I'm fairly sure Mallan, Morgan and McLear all got three year deals towards the end of last season so we do hand them out. As you say, it's a gamble - for example, only a few months before McGinn got his long term deal Thomas Reilly got one.

A certain someone was furious yesterday that Ian Murray was talking about Hibs, I can only imagine he'll be apopletic with rage when he finds out he's also been talking about Hearts: http://www.scotsman.com/news/politics/top-stories/ian-murray-compares-labour-crisis-to-hearts-plight-1-3845824

Indeed they did.

However, it would appear that if you're foaming at the mouth and living in La La land, then that doesn't matter.

Hopefully we've got what we deserve for him and the board haven't just accepted peanuts like we did for Kenny. Hopefully 150k or so and a chunk should be given to IM to sort the squad ASAP

Reality is bud, we got what someone was willing to pay...

Had he actually been as good as we all think an English club would have taken him easily for 50K more.

Not mutual, player cant turn it down, although there is negotiation on wages based on appearances. I.e. X amount of appearances earns you X amount of average full time wage up to X amount then full time average is paid.

Also at the option point, you can offer said player a new, long term better deal.

There's no way any young player would agree to a deal with a one way option.

Would you? If you're any good you can't leave, but if you are rubbish we are letting you go for nothing.

If I was a youngsters agent I would certainly advise him to stay well away from a deal like that.

Would you? If you're any good you can't leave, but if you are rubbish we are letting you go for nothing.

If I was a youngsters agent I would certainly advise him to stay well away from a deal like that.

Indeed.

A very unfair deal for a young player.

Strange that someone so vociferous about being fair to young players, with respect to contracts, would be advocating such a deal.

To be fair, it certainly wouldn't be the first time he's contradicted himself; whatever pathetic alias he's posting under.

Edited by FTOF

I think we've got to be realistic, McGinn and to a greater extent McLean are good players but not as good as McCarthy, McCarthur, Gauld etc.

Its been proven by the quality of the clubs in for them.

McGinn in my opinion will go on to become a steady Scottish Premiership player who might get really lucky and get a move to the English Championship but he's not any better than that.

I think we've got to be realistic, McGinn and to a greater extent McLean are good players but not as good as McCarthy, McCarthur, Gauld etc.

Its been proven by the quality of the clubs in for them.

McGinn in my opinion will go on to become a steady Scottish Premiership player who might get really lucky and get a move to the English Championship but he's not any better than that.

Think they are about the same frankly except Gauld who has always looked "meh" when ever I saw him.

Put it this way is Mclean a better midfielder than Dummet is a left back? One is playing in the EPL and one in the SPL. Is that down to abiltiy or the quality of their agents/connections? Scott Allen or John McGinn?

Think they are about the same frankly except Gauld who has always looked "meh" when ever I saw him.

Put it this way is Mclean a better midfielder than Dummet is a left back? One is playing in the EPL and one in the SPL. Is that down to abiltiy or the quality of their agents/connections? Scott Allen or John McGinn?

Ability (and pace, or lack of). Dummett is way better than McLean in my opinion. One was a guaranteed starter in our cup winning team, the other a guy who's form was so bad he didn't get off the bench.

Ability (and pace, or lack of). Dummett is way better than McLean in my opinion. One was a guaranteed starter in our cup winning team, the other a guy who's form was so bad he didn't get off the bench.

McLean was carrying an injury.

it is always the club that exercises the option, maybe not reasonable but if both parties can exercise it then it is not an option but a mutual obligation

Indeed.

A very unfair deal for a young player.

Strange that someone so vociferous about being fair to young players, with respect to contracts, would be advocating such a deal.

To be fair, it certainly wouldn't be the first time he's contradicted himself; whatever pathetic alias he's posting under.

I can confrirm that he does not post under any aliases, except that Lord Pityme is not his real name?

So he posts under the same number of pathetic aliases as yourself.

Pray tell then how do you think a "X year contract with a X year option" works..?

Because if i follow your logic then both the club or the player can decline the option? If that is so then it a straight term contract, which would make no sense to bugger around with extension options if both parties can simply decline.

Any agent worth his salt will get his young player as long a deal as possible, its called a job, and most people like a bit of security in their work.

McLean was carrying an injury.

Was he? My recollection was that he had been dropped after woeful performance in February. But as you say, maybe an injury played a part in that.

Anyhow, they are both the same age....... one is a sub for a team in Europe's 23rd best league. The other is the first choice left back in a team in Europe's 3rd best league (according to the UEFA rankings).

I can confrirm that he does not post under any aliases, except that Lord Pityme is not his real name?

So he posts under the same number of pathetic aliases as yourself.

I ignored this loser months ago BOK.

Its pointless trying to deal with anyone who thinks a five year deal for a young pro is somehow a bad thing!

Ask Thomas Reilly if he would have signed a five year pro deal when he joined the first team squad, i know what his answer would have been.

And still they don't get how Dundee United and Hamilton banked millions when selling their youngsters on!