John Mcginn - Out Of Contract, Away, Farewell, Jacks Grandson Thread.

Hibernian are not a far bigger club than St Mirren, he will be getting a bit more money but nothing spectacular and there is every chance we will be in top flight before them.

Jim Goodwin happily knocked back a move there to stay at St Mirren when they were in the top league remember.

What has John McGinn done differently from others?

1. Petty sniping at the club on twitter, a public forum, seemingly because his less talented younger brother wasn't given a first team place.

2. Openly supporting Celtic, again on twitter, while employed as a St Mirren player

3. Is developed by our club and through our youth system for 13 years then leaves to play for our biggest rivals in the league this season.

4. Threatens legal action against the club to drive down the development fee St Mirren are due.

5. Issues an apology for helping relegate us.

None of this is crime of the century stuff but I'll certainly be amused if we witness yet another Hibs implosion this season, and having watched them ship 6 goals the other week we may well be treated to one!

You forgot to add that he was wishing Dundee good luck on Twitter because his brothers play for them. Pretty unprofessional when you play for a team in the same league at the time.

He owes us thanks for the opportunity, but he would have made it to at least this level at many other clubs.

That is all he owes us

We'll never know that. He could have been a perennial pine-rider at a bigger club who would loan him constantly to the likes of Alloa or Cowdenbeath. He could have been anything. He could have been this that or the other at another unknown club.

What isn't in doubt is that St Mirren developed him from the age of 13, gave him excellent training and development facilities, gave him first team football in a top flight side, and helped give him silverware to look back on in his old age.

I wish him no ill. I do believe he's a daft laddie who should be given a slap any time he fannies about on 'social media', but he owes St Mirren a lot.

He's gone. We are at the start of a completely new era, perhaps even Gordon Scott / SMiSA / fan ownership.

John McGinn? No offence son, hope we pump your new club fcuking rotten, and in a Hibs shirt against St Mirren, you put in performances so rank rotten that Stephane Bahoken, James Marwood and Callum Ball are made to look like Lionel Messi, Cristiano Ronaldo and, erm, Gareth Wardlaw.

Games against us aside - whatever... Couldn't really give a fcuk to be honest.

Edited by pozbaird

I must confess I don’t get the vitriol towards John McGinn. When he first came into the first team it seemed to me he was one of the best prospects we had for many years. He went on to prove that with his play. The fact that last season, in common with near enough every team mate, the performances dipped badly should not detract from that.

Hibernian are a far bigger club than St. Mirren, will be paying him more money and will in all likelihood be in the top flight before us. What exactly has he done any differently from anyone else in his position? He owes St Mirren nothing in my view.

I for one will be very pleased to see him do well at Hibernian and in his subsequent career.

33% of his next transfer money. I hope he's very successful at Hibs, but not against us.

The sad reality of our situation is that if McGinn impresses at Hibs and earns a move, then 1/3rd of any future transfer fee will dwarf what we've got for him.

There isn't a club in Scotland other than Dundee Utd who have a better record at inflating player prices than Hibs. Pains me to say it, but he's in the right place if we're looking for proper cash. We could probably pull anything from £250k to over 600k from their future sale of him.

The sad reality of our situation is that if McGinn impresses at Hibs and earns a move, then 1/3rd of any future transfer fee will dwarf what we've got for him.

There isn't a club in Scotland other than Dundee Utd who have a better record at inflating player prices than Hibs. Pains me to say it, but he's in the right place if we're looking for proper cash. We could probably pull anything from £250k to over 600k from their future sale of him.

I agree with this but part of the reason Hibs and United do well in the transfer market is that they have been good (maybe lucky) at getting their better players to commit to long term contracts. Their talented players tend to work with the club whereas McGinn seemed to do everything he could to make sure Saints got less than the development fee. Anyway as Drew says it's in the past and McGinn is no longer a Saint.

Hibernian are not a far bigger club than St Mirren, he will be getting a bit more money but nothing spectacular and there is every chance we will be in top flight before them.

Jim Goodwin happily knocked back a move there to stay at St Mirren when they were in the top league remember.

What has John McGinn done differently from others?

1. Petty sniping at the club on twitter, a public forum, seemingly because his less talented younger brother wasn't given a first team place.

2. Openly supporting Celtic, again on twitter, while employed as a St Mirren player

3. Is developed by our club and through our youth system for 13 years then leaves to play for our biggest rivals in the league this season.

4. Threatens legal action against the club to drive down the development fee St Mirren are due.

5. Issues an apology for helping relegate us.

None of this is crime of the century stuff but I'll certainly be amused if we witness yet another Hibs implosion this season, and having watched them ship 6 goals the other week we may well be treated to one!

apart from thinking st mirren are similar to hibs in club size, i'm agreed on this.

apart from thinking st mirren are similar to hibs in club size, i'm agreed on this.

I didn't say that.

They aren't far bigger however, not in terms of where McGinn should have been looking to move to if he could fulfill his early potential.

Disagree

Hamilton are the daddies

Hamilton Accies?

• 3 weeks later...

Hi guys,

Hibby in peace.

Just like to thank the development team at St Mirren for John McGinn. He's a player and a half, and puts out development guys to shame (Handling, Stanton, Harris)

He's becoming a driving force for us in our powder puff midfield.

You should be proud of your people behind the scenes at St Mirren.

Cheers.

Hi guys,

Hibby in peace.

Just like to thank the development team at St Mirren for John McGinn. He's a player and a half, and puts out development guys to shame (Handling, Stanton, Harris)

Cheers.

No bother, thanks for 30% cut of his next transfer fee.

Cheers.

Hi guys,

Hibby in peace.

Cheers.

Sadly that description might be an improvement on our current midfield performances so far.

• 5 weeks later...

I see John McGinn has now given his version of what happened with his contract negotiations with St Mirren and his own take on legal action on the speargate incident, and he doesn't come across half as badly as people were making out over the summer: http://www.heraldscotland.com/sport/13785619._quot_It___s_not_about_money_but_you_don___t_want_to_have_the_mickey_taken_out_of_you_quot___John_McGinn_reflects_on_Speargate__feeling_undervalued__and_why_he_had_to_leave_St_Mirren_after_13_years/

Way too late in trying to rewrite history. A simple interpretation could be that he had a petted lip over what was on offer and responded by downing tools when the club needed him most last season.

I think it was quite clear from the interview that he was tempted to speak out last year about his contract situation and tried to concentrate on doing his best. As well as McGinn being poorer last season than he was in his first two seasons, we also saw Marion Kello, Jason Naismith, Sean Kelly, Marc McAusland, Jim Goodwin, Gary Teale, Greg Wylde and Steven Thompson have noticeably poorer performances under Tommy Craig and Gary Teale's management last year than in previous season where they had looked fine at our level within the SPL playing under 'clueless' Danny Lennon.

It's also quite clear that McGinn is suggesting he was one of the worst paid players in the starting XI despite being one of the first names on the team sheet and being in his 3rd season as a first team player and he hadn't asked for a deal where he was expecting to be one of the highest earners.

He was always going to leave at the end of his last contract (which he & his agent agreed and signed), and I'm not sure how any player could realistically ask for an improved contract after the club's been relegated, especially when the player has had a poor season by his previous standards. It looked as if his head had been turned by the reportedly nonsense low bids from Sheffield Utd during last close season, and his performances never got anywhere near the level of the previous seasons. He didn't do himself any favours by continually moaning on Twitter about his brother not being rated by folk at St Mirren either.

It's the way the game has been going for decades and I'm a bit meh about the whole situation. I'm not aware of him acknowledging the fans on Saturday, and no-one paid him too much attention either. We developed him, paid him, he played well at times, poorly at others, helped us win a cup and then went to Hibs under freedom of contract. He doesn't owe us anything, and we don't owe him either.

He was always going to leave at the end of his last contract (which he & his agent agreed and signed), and I'm not sure how any player could realistically ask for an improved contract after the club's been relegated, especially when the player has had a poor season by his previous standards. It looked as if his head had been turned by the reportedly nonsense low bids from Sheffield Utd during last close season, and his performances never got anywhere near the level of the previous seasons. He didn't do himself any favours by continually moaning on Twitter about his brother not being rated by folk at St Mirren either.

It's the way the game has been going for decades and I'm a bit meh about the whole situation. I'm not aware of him acknowledging the fans on Saturday, and no-one paid him too much attention either. We developed him, paid him, he played well at times, poorly at others, helped us win a cup and then went to Hibs under freedom of contract. He doesn't owe us anything, and we don't owe him either.

The interview makes clear that McGinn was wanting to extend his contract at St Mirren during the close season which saw Tommy Craig take over from Danny Lennon and was only looking to go from one of the worst paid first team members to having an improved contract and on average first team salary or a salary that reflected him usually being one of the first names on the team sheet and without expecting to become one of the top earners at the club. It looks like he was taking the view that getting a few season of regular SPL first team experience was better than getting a big money ASAP and maybe not getting into the first team at his next club. He speaks about trying to just concentrate on doing well when the contract stuff was going on in the background.

I think after 12 months of getting nowhere with the club during the Tommy Craig / Gary Teale era it was getting unlikely he would sign a new contract and speargate sealed that before Murray arrived. I'm sure Murray did say it was one of his top priorities on taking over the reigns to meet with McGinn and try and talk him round. There is no suggestion that Murray offered him any decent deal. I think lots of fans will be disappointed that the club's contract offers to McGinn would appear to have forced him out the door when he seems to have had a level-headed approach to being happy to sign a new contract with SMFC and get more experience rather than seek a big money move as soon as he could and Murray appears to have moved faster to resign Alan Gow ahead of John McGinn!

Edited by Dibbles old paperboy