Trialists Update

Promotion may not be your target Ned, but it is explicitly what Gilmour stated the club required whilst appointing a new manager. So his bosses will judge him on an automatic return, or not to the Prem. I agree with your points about getting in the right players that can play the system/systems. That is what makes it even more disconcerting that we are sifting endless trialists Murray knows nothing about in the hope we might turn up someone worth signing.

Many including yourself have been at pains to point out to me that Murray 'knows the league' and 'knows the players to get the job done at this level' as he kept Dumbarton up on a shoe string (funny that now some posters are intimating their shoestring is more like a thick piece of rope'. All i am looking for is the evidence he has a plan, and can bring in the right players to carry it out. I don't think he will find that spending all his week looking at trialists, where are the players he supposedly knows can do the job?

Where did you learn that our Chairman 'explicitly' stated promotion was required? Of course promotion is a target and more than likely via the play offs than automatic with bigger clubs like Rangers and Hibs in the league.

It is not MY target and explicitly demand promotion to a new manager would have made an appointment almost impossible. I have no doubt that SG has asked IM to stabilise the club and plan to get us back up asap. However, you seem more knowledgeable than me so maybe you could provide the source if this SG statement to IM.

As for a plan? He will have one and like all plans he will be working on how to implement it. Most businesses will provide a strategy (that is the role of our Board) but none show their plan to all and sundry as that would tell all our competitors exactly what we are doing. IM will feedback information on signings etc as and when it suits the club. The strategy on the other hand would be good to know so we are aware of short, medium and long term objectives.

IM will be working hard behind the scenes so we need to wait and see who else joins us before the end of the transfer window.

Couple of points... IMO

Losing loads of players every summer and having to find replacements is now the norm. In these days of Bosman and the widening gap between the rich and poor clubs, clubs have a large turnover of players every season. The days of keeping a good team together over many seasons just doesn't happen.

Therefore, I don't believe Murray has been brought in to 'stabilise' the club. I'm pretty sure the target is to finish top 4 and have a bash at winning promotion via the play off.

On the subject of trialists, IMO, this is the way of things now. Rangers have just signed a load of players after trials. Dundee United signed Ciftci after a 3 week trial and they've now just sold him to Celtic for £1.5 million FFS.

Hopefully we can unearth a couple of gems ourselves.

Where did you learn that our Chairman 'explicitly' stated promotion was required?

The voices that rattle about in his head.

However, back in the real world, outwith the padded walls.............

This is what Stewart Gilmour said

"He impressed with his ethos how he wanted to play football, how he wanted to take the club forward.He's ambitious, he's young, he's got his whole managerial career in front of him," said Gilmour of Murray.

"I thought all the candidates who applied for this job were excellent. We're getting a lot of good young managers coming through

Our target has got to be to get out of this league, but when that will happen, time will tell.

Where did you learn that our Chairman 'explicitly' stated promotion was required? Of course promotion is a target and more than likely via the play offs than automatic with bigger clubs like Rangers and Hibs in the league.

It is not MY target and explicitly demand promotion to a new manager would have made an appointment almost impossible. I have no doubt that SG has asked IM to stabilise the club and plan to get us back up asap. However, you seem more knowledgeable than me so maybe you could provide the source if this SG statement to IM.

As for a plan? He will have one and like all plans he will be working on how to implement it. Most businesses will provide a strategy (that is the role of our Board) but none show their plan to all and sundry as that would tell all our competitors exactly what we are doing. IM will feedback information on signings etc as and when it suits the club. The strategy on the other hand would be good to know so we are aware of short, medium and long term objectives.

IM will be working hard behind the scenes so we need to wait and see who else joins us before the end of the transfer window.

My source is the telly Ned, Gilmour said it in an interview when explaining what sort of manager they were seeking. Its probably still on the bbc website if you look. Then again Gilmour also said they were looking for someone who would promote youth, so maybe its a 10 - 15 year plan?

If we go through 20 trialists this preseason and only 1 of them is signed and he turns out to be a success then the process will have been worth it.

There is diamonds in the rough, it's just finding them that's the hard part.

Might have missed it recently but is David Barron still training with the club or was he one of the trialists not offered a deal? Hadn't seen him mentioned in any of the friendlies so presumed he may be injured again or probably away.

I feel like I read he was sent away, but I might just have made that up.

I call that, 'doing a Lord Pity Me'.

There you go Ned, there is a TV interview of this as well, Gilmour targets promotion in one season, no ifs, no buts!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/32765967

There you go Ned, there is a TV interview of this as well, Gilmour targets promotion in one season, no ifs, no buts!http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/32765967

He was also previously interviewed saying we needed a wheeler dealer manager, then bumped up Tommy Craig. He also sat across from St Mirren fans and told us armageddon was going to result from failing to take it up the arse for the Rangers. He probably also told the Fan Council his golf handicap is.....

There you go Ned, there is a TV interview of this as well, Gilmour targets promotion in one season, no ifs, no buts!http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/32765967

Of course SG targets promotion in one season as will around another 4 or 5 Chairmen in our league. Your statement was that SG explicitly told IM that promotion was 'expected'. There is a difference between a target and an expectation where you say Murray will be measured on whether we are promoted or not.

Of course SG targets promotion in one season as will around another 4 or 5 Chairmen in our league. Your statement was that SG explicitly told IM that promotion was 'expected'. There is a difference between a target and an expectation where you say Murray will be measured on whether we are promoted or not.

Sorry is the quote misleading where Gilmour targets promotion in one season regardless of who else is in the league?

a target Ned is exactly that, something you aim to hit. You don't aim to miss targets. Your quote above in the face of the evidence doesn't show you in the best light Ned. An 'Expectation' Ned is merely a 'belief'. Anyway the quote speaks for itself.

Of course now Gilmour has seen at first hand Murray's recruitment drive and general capabilities who knows he may well have downgraded his target!

Edited by Lord Pityme

There you go Ned, there is a TV interview of this as well, Gilmour targets promotion in one season, no ifs, no buts!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/32765967

You, like SD, tend to interpret things in a way that no one else does.

"Gilmour said the club will go into the Scottish Championship with the intention of being promoted within one season, despite the presence of one or both of Hibernian and Rangers."

I and, I have no doubt, the majority of thinking people will not read this as saying we must be promoted in one season.

"Gilmour said the club will go into the Scottish Championship with the intention of being promoted within one season, despite the presence of one or both of Hibernian and Rangers."

I and, I have no doubt, the majority of thinking people will not read this as saying we must be promoted in one season.

Are you for real?

Just re-read what you just posted.....!

I am sorry that it is irrefutable coming from the chairman, who we can only guess didn't have a gun to his head at the time, but c'mon.... Eh? ... C'mon...

In light of your startling 'in denial' state gents, i put the evidence and your response to a much larger brain, with a higher intelligence to illicit a defining ruling on your stated positions.

http://youtu.be/dwEDgSECGiU

Thomas reilly played as a trialist for Falkirk last night apparently. Probably a thread elsewhere but can't be bothered looking and we may face Ian Black on Saturday.

Good.....surely we can win on Saturday when we will most likely be playing against ten men for at least some part of the Match. dry.png

Sorry is the quote misleading where Gilmour targets promotion in one season regardless of who else is in the league?

a target Ned is exactly that, something you aim to hit. You don't aim to miss targets. Your quote above in the face of the evidence doesn't show you in the best light Ned. An 'Expectation' Ned is merely a 'belief'. Anyway the quote speaks for itself.

Of course now Gilmour has seen at first hand Murray's recruitment drive and general capabilities who knows he may well have downgraded his target!

My friend, I know what a target is. Just because you set one does not mean you are 'explicitly expected'to reach it. Most clubs set targets, to win the league, avoid relegation, win a cup etc. Expectation is not simply a belief. If the chairman of Man City pumps millions into the club and tells the manager "I expect the championship" then it is clear this is not his belief but as you pointed out "explicitly demand" that they win.

Which ever way you spin it, I doubt SG told IM that not getting promotion is failure

My friend, I know what a target is. Just because you set one does not mean you are 'explicitly expected'to reach it. Most clubs set targets, to win the league, avoid relegation, win a cup etc. Expectation is not simply a belief. If the chairman of Man City pumps millions into the club and tells the manager "I expect the championship" then it is clear this is not his belief but as you pointed out "explicitly demand" that they win.

Which ever way you spin it, I doubt SG told IM that not getting promotion is failure

And based on his quote, I doubt he told Murray that this season is a consolidation exercise, which is what you believe.

As I stated in my post, I'd wager that the target is to get into the play offs. You then have a shot at promotion and anything can happen. We will be up against the likes of Falkirk, qos, faith for the 2 remaining okay off spots.

IMO, the intention to win promotion in 1 season = reaching the play offs.

I don't think that anyone can argue that not reaching the play offs will be failure.

Edited by nosferatu

And based on his quote, I doubt he told Murray that this season is a consolidation exercise, which is what you believe.

As I stated in my post, I'd wager that the target is to get into the play offs. You then have a shot at promotion and anything can happen. We will be up against the likes of Falkirk, qos, faith for the 2 remaining okay off spots.

IMO, the intention to win promotion in 1 season = reaching the play offs.

I don't think that anyone can argue that not reaching the play offs will be failure.

Of course the target should be reaching the playoffs. If we don't finish top 4 the season would be a failure and - as with any failure of a season - the manager should go at the end of it.

If we do finish top 4 we will have a decent shot at promotion. Would just take us hitting a purple patch and a bit of luck in May and we could be right back up.