Trialists Update

To bring in who, though?

Also, many managers take a while to bed in and set things up as they want them to be. A certain A. Ferguson springs to mind.

Alex Ferguson's target when he arrived at Love Street was to make the top 6 in order to get us into the new First Division. He achieved that.

But its far different these days. You can't "consolidate and build" anymore. The days of being able to build a team over a number of years are long gone.

But I thought Murray "Knew the league" and had "over delivered" at Dumbarton..? Surely he is the hit the ground running, ambitious young manager the board have lauded him for being???

Indeed. He finished 7th with Dumbarton last season and previously finished 5th.

He's now with a full time club and has the biggest budget outside Hibs & The Rangers.

If he fails to make the top 4 against the likes of Falkirk & QOS - who have also lost their best players - then he has failed!

To bring in who, though?

Also, many managers take a while to bed in and set things up as they want them to be. A certain A. Ferguson springs to mind.

Exactly Drew. Where would we find a manager who could bring us instant success. Some on here are delusional.

New trialists here. Sorry, couldn't be arsed typing them up. ;)

attachicon.gifImageUploadedByBlack & White Army1437566745.460981.jpg

So was the all other trialists line on Monday just to spare Reilly's feelings?

Think half our team has emailed me at some point wanting help transferring money and I'll get a huge sum if I just provide my bank details.

New trialists here. Sorry, couldn't be arsed typing them up. ;)

attachicon.gifImageUploadedByBlack & White Army1437566745.460981.jpg

Barrowman included in the subs (not that Barrowman)

Think he's a centre half. Interesting promotion would not have thought he was ready for the first team but maybe impressed in training

Ok so correct me if I'm wrong but that's 5 trialists in the starting 11 and 3 in the bench?

I thought Malachy Moore had been let go after Saturday. Him & Rooney back on trial?

Rooney never left. Presumably same deal with Moore. Report on OS a bit misleading on this occasion.

Yes, but I was also of the view that he should never have been appointed.

Also, Craig had been at the club for a couple of years, so a reasonable 'probation' period wasn't required.

So you will be asking for him to go if we have a poor start? Murray said himself in one of his first interviews that if we are around the bottom half of the league after around 20 games he will be sacked. He's not daft.

He has to get to at least Christmas no matter how badly it's going, even if we are in the bottom 2. If we are in relegation trouble around then he should be sacked. If we are in playoff contention he should be kept on till the end of the season. If we make the playoffs he should be kept, if not he should go, barring some kind of cup run/win of course.

Houston for example, he's under a lot of pressure from Falkirk fans due to their league form (finished 5th) but was cut a bit of slack since he got them to a Scottish Cup Final.

I would be saying the same thing regardless who the manager was. I don't think any appointed manager should be judged on what has gone before. I also think we will finish in the top 4 incidentally, anything less would be a major disappointment.

Well of course it's a far less difficult league to get out of than when Dundee were in it. One up one down made it so. If that was still the case no one would have been expecting us to go back up.

We don't have a right to go back up and I'm not saying we should. I'm simply saying we should finish top 4, which will give us a shot of if. Top 4 in a 10 team league is hardly asking too much.

You could also, easily, say that it's just as hard with HIbs & Rangers in the league (Funny how you forgot to mention that, you're good at conveniently forgetting things, I do remember them days Lex) while Dundee never had to compete with teams with those resources.

I'm not saying we can't be top 4 but I am saying it's going to be very difficult as we're starting a rebuild job with limited resources, a new manager and confidence is low with the players we've retained from our disastrous year last year.

Edited by faraway saint

I'm not saying we can't be top 4 but I am saying it's going to be very difficult as we're starting a rebuild job with limited resources, a new manager and confidence is low with the players we've retained from our disastrous year last year.

Not true.

Every club has to rebuild every close season.

Our main rivals, Falkirk & QOS are also having to rebuild and we have better resources than either of these clubs.

There are 2 play off spots up for grabs.

If we don't make it the Murray has failed.

Sorry Ned you are way off 'target' on this one. As any school kid knows in this meaning of the word we are discussing a 'Target' is "a level, or situation that you intend to achieve" where as an 'Expectation' is "a strong belief that something will happen, or be the case" .

Targets or Objectives are Smart, Measurable, Achievable, Realistic and Time or resource constrained... S.M.A.R.T. To that end i disagree with your presumption that 'Most Clubs' set targets to win the league or cup... I would imagine 'Most Clubs' set out expectations around performances, league position, going on a cup run. Then specifically set targets about which league position they want to achieve come season end.

I can tell you though if the chairman of Man City pumps millions in and then says 'I expect the championship' it goes along way to explaining why the bought Sterling! Because he could certainly drag them down a division!

As usual you have been selective again with my comment that most clubs set out targets for their season and I cited several examples such as promotion, avoiding relegation, winning a trophy etc. You choose winning promotion which I never said most manager set out to achieve. Some are realistic in their approach and know their squad limitations.

I do performance improvement and management for a living so fully understand the SMART planning framework.

You could also, easily, say that it's just as hard with HIbs & Rangers in the league (Funny how you forgot to mention that, you're good at conveniently forgetting things, I do remember them days Lex) while Dundee never had to compete with teams with those resources.

Well no it isn't as hard. We are competing for 3rd and 4th. Hibs and Rangers being in the league means we have 2 positions to realistically aim for that could get us promotion. Had there been no Hibs and Rangers but 1 up 1 down, we'd only have 1 to aim for. Hence making it doubly difficult.

:1eye

Also every team in the league is rebuilding. Some even more than us infact. The majority of our likely starting 11 for our first competitive game this coming Saturday was here last season.

Edited by TopCat

Well no it isn't as hard. We are competing for 3rd and 4th. Hibs and Rangers being in the league means we have 2 positions to realistically aim for that could get us promotion. Had there been no Hibs and Rangers but 1 up 1 down, we'd only have 1 to aim for. Hence making it doubly difficult.

1eye.gif

Also every team in the league is rebuilding. Some even more than us infact. The majority of our likely starting 11 for our first competitive game this coming Saturday was here last season.

And you think that's an advantage? 1eye.gif

Do you remember last season?

Anyway, we're in the group who are in with a shout, I happen to see us struggling, especially if we don't get off to a good start.

And you think that's an advantage? 1eye.gif

Do you remember last season?

Anyway, we're in the group who are in with a shout, I happen to see us struggling, especially if we don't get off to a good start.

Well you said we were rebuilding like it was a disadvantage ... Now you're saying the fact we aren't as much as others is a disadvantage :lol:

I'm more optimistic than you, I think we will finish 3rd.