Goodwin

What's the point if this being brought up when Jim is playing so well for us and got man of the match against Hibs ?

Was just checking...you've been a member of this forum since 2003...so suppose it was a rhetorical question...but just in case it wasn't...

a ) Some folk are never happy.

b ) Some folk have axes to grind.

I agree with you though...

Edited by Bart Simpson

Was just checking...you've been a member of this forum since 2003...so suppose it was a rhetorical question...but just in case it wasn't...

a ) Some folk are never happy.

b ) Some folk have axes to grind.

I agree with you though...

c) It's a discussion forum, with the subject in this thread being Jim Goodwin. It doesn't say, Goodwin (be positive and forget all that happened before 15/16).

What's the point if this being brought up when Jim is playing so well for us and got man of the match against Hibs ?

Because some minority 'fans' of our club are never happy unless they are sticking the knife into at least one first team player or the management staff on a regular basis.

c) It's a discussion forum, with the subject in this thread being Jim Goodwin. It doesn't say, Goodwin (be positive and forget all that happened before 15/16).

All very well but you were one of the fools wanting Jim Goodwin out the door. I told you what an asset Jim Goodwin would be in the championship . Glad to say I was 100% correct.

All very well but you were one of the fools wanting Jim Goodwin out the door. I told you what an asset Jim Goodwin would be in the championship . Glad to say I was 100% correct.

A common saying is that the best predictor of future behaviours lies in past performance, so given Goodwin's recent past it is a bit harsh to call anyone a fool for saying he could be finished at our level.

He is currently doing well, seemingly knuckling down to spite IM (one of the "fools" who wanted Goodwin out of the door). Much as I applaud Goodwin for his recent contribution, spite is not the best, most sustainable or healthiest form of motivation. I hope he keeps it up as it will show a maturity that was missing from him last season and we badly need that.

I, quite frankly, do not think you've been proved 100% correct. I will say that I've been impressed by a lot of what he's been doing, his handling of Russell at QOTS for example, though he did obviously have the game where he had to be taken off. He certainly has seemed to learn that it's okay to chase a player for another yard or two as pressure can be just as effective as whacking somebody. His fitness levels have also looked a lot better, but again we'll see how that goes.

I'd say you're probably around the 75% correct mark, whilst I've already stated on here that he has played well. I wanted him out the door due to him being rank rotten and a liability last season. We've not seen that Jim too much this season.

According to a poll of the fans on this site, Goodwin was our best player who finished the season with us last year and second overall behind McLean.

If a vote was held tomorrow on our POTY so far this season, I'm fairly certain he'd win that too.

There's a vocal minority who seem to dislike him for whatever reason. However, the majority of our fans appreciate what an important member of the team and football club he is.

I hope he's here next season.

More importantly, Iain Murray was one of the 'fools' (your word, not mine) who wanted Goodwin out the door!

Are you glad to say he was 100% wrong?

I, quite frankly, do not think you've been proved 100% correct. I will say that I've been impressed by a lot of what he's been doing, his handling of Russell at QOTS for example, though he did obviously have the game where he had to be taken off. He certainly has seemed to learn that it's okay to chase a player for another yard or two as pressure can be just as effective as whacking somebody. His fitness levels have also looked a lot better, but again we'll see how that goes.

I'd say you're probably around the 75% correct mark, whilst I've already stated on here that he has played well. I wanted him out the door due to him being rank rotten and a liability last season. We've not seen that Jim too much this season.

everyone was rank rotten last season which must fall at the managers feet. What caused it ? Manmanigment who knows. What was obvious to me is one bad season does not mean a player is all of a sudden bad. Every player was shocking there was an underlying problem last season affecting the whole team. Goodwin is the type of player needed for the championship especially with so many young players in the squad. My post above is me playing a bit. Only hope Ian Murray can get his act together so we can push on.

That's poor, Ian.

This a forum where people routinely express their views on the merit or otherwise of players being included in the squad, in a starting 11, etc. The 'I told you so' line is a bit childish. I'm glad you appear (thus far) to have called this one correctly, but had it not worked out as you speculated, I wouldn't be calling you a fool. In my opinion, and after last season, people had grounds to be a bit sceptical about Goodwin (as they did with every player who underperformed, especially the more experienced within the squad). It is good to see that those concerns haven't been borne out.

I daresay we could all do with employing a bit more humility at times, and might want to try being magnanimous towards our fellow buds on occasion.

That's poor, Ian.

This a forum where people routinely express their views on the merit or otherwise of players being included in the squad, in a starting 11, etc. The 'I told you so' line is a bit childish. I'm glad you appear (thus far) to have called this one correctly, but had it not worked out as you speculated, I wouldn't be calling you a fool. In my opinion, and after last season, people had grounds to be a bit sceptical about Goodwin (as they did with every player who underperformed, especially the more experienced within the squad). It is good to see that those concerns haven't been borne out.

I daresay we could all do with employing a bit more humility at times, and might want to try being magnanimous towards our fellow buds on occasion.

There was a wee joke pulling the leg Drew. Though was a bit shocked by the number of fans who wanted Jim out during the season said at the time we could not afford a player like Jim. Yes he is a bit mental at times but foe me he is all in a class of his own.

For me Goodwin is the best player in the squad who knows how to win a tackle, chase back and pressure the opposition in our midfiled. Mallan is next but there is a big gap after that. Carswell, Howieson and Agnew have all been exceedingly poor in midfield. Goodwin has been good in every game for me as he has outperformed those around him. Hopefully the others learn by his example as he cannot do it all on his own.

Goodwin's biggest problem is his reputation, which he has to hold some responsibility for. He seems a nice guy off the pitch and is such a valuable player for us this season, giving us dig and a bit of composure in possession that has been lacking in some games this season.

Unfortunately cheating opponents try every trick in the book to get him sent off and he is at the mercy of refs that are suckered into it(been the same for years).

To be honest, I had had enough of him when he was frustratingly getting stupid reds and costing us games, but he seems to have sorted that since his 'official warning'. I'm delighted he's proving me wrong.

I hope he continues screwing the nut and doing a job for us. If playing regularly I would have him as captain again, with Thommo vice.

There was a wee joke pulling the leg Drew. Though was a bit shocked by the number of fans who wanted Jim out during the season said at the time we could not afford a player like Jim. Yes he is a bit mental at times but foe me he is all in a class of his own.

Fair enough, Ian. At least you didn't call me a c**t (aherm....)

That's poor, Ian.

Start with the man in the mirror bud!

For me Goodwin is the best player in the squad who knows how to win a tackle, chase back and pressure the opposition in our midfiled. Mallan is next but there is a big gap after that. Carswell, Howieson and Agnew have all been exceedingly poor in midfield. Goodwin has been good in every game for me as he has outperformed those around him. Hopefully the others learn by his example as he cannot do it all on his own.

Murray's signings ( Carswell, Howieson, Agnew and Conlan) as you say have so far proven to be duds. Conlan who now doesn't even get on a s a sub has to go back to Burnley. Why are we paying and giving valuable resources to help Burnley identify he hasn't got it?