Keith Watson Signs - Merged

good to get cover at RB, however we haven't yet moved forward on the crucial areas of centre-back and a proper midfield leader. A better-than-what-we-already-have striker is also needed as I can't see us getting much from Thomson in terms of endurance and availability. Pace has always been a more potent weapon up front in this league

I fear we may well be making do with what we have-not necessarily bad other than the squad is still pretty under-populated. We remain only 1 injury away from shit street. I hope this improves in the next few days

... in which case signing someone injury prone to cover for someone with a long term injury isn't the best logic.

So what would have been your preference? A young lad who has never played at this level? I'm hearing a lot about the lack of experience in the squad. Watson has plenty of experience, and at a good level. One would assume the club considered his fitness and injury history and decided it was worth the punt. Every signing is something of a gamble. Its a cliche, but no less true for that. I reckon this was a gamble worth taking. Edited by Drew

So let me get this straight. We lose our right back through injury and replace him in less tban a week with a proven Premier league right back. But some folk still have reservations? Fuxake.

I'm struggling to think of any 'type' of St Mirren signing these days who doesn't get pelters before a ball is kicked. Anyone feel free to add any missing 'types'....

Wardlaw types from lower league clubs - diddies who aren't good enough.

Young loanees we've never heard of - not what we need, they'll be off in a month and don't care about Saints.

Wee midfield run-around a lot types - how many do we fcuking need. Was it a sign one get five free special offer?

Goalkeepers with long service at other clubs - error prone has-beens.

Older pros who've been around a bit - injury prone duds. Wastes of a wage.

Twenty-something pros who've been around a bit - injury prone duds. Waste of a wage.

Young pros who couldn't get a game at (insert name of top flight club here) - Rejects, not good enough for us.

Young kids through our youth set-up - get a season long stay of execution... then the knives come out.

To be fair, I hold the young loanee view above!

Still, is there anyone we could realistically sign in these non-Guni Torfason, Tom Black or Ian Ferguson days that pleases anyone?

The young loanees we've never heard of have probably been our best signings.

Goncalves, Charlie Adam, Cuthbert, Dummett, Newton, Carey, McGowan.

And now McMullan.

The young loanees we've never heard of have probably been our best signings.

Goncalves, Charlie Adam, Cuthbert, Dummett, Newton, Carey, McGowan.

And now McMullan.

Undoubtably. There have been very good signings in all 'categories' Roy Aitken was an older has-been when he left Celtic. Supposedly. Tried single-handedly to keep us up and was an excellent player for us. Shame we never had more in that team with his attitude.

Undoubtably. There have been very good signings in all 'categories' Roy Aitken was an older has-been when he left Celtic. Supposedly. Tried single-handedly to keep us up and was an excellent player for us. Shame we never had more in that team with his attitude.

Not quite sure I agree on Aitken. Yes, he was a great player, but IIRC he managed to get himself sent off 3 times.

He also took up a vast amount in wages plus a transfer fee when what we really needed that season was a striker. We ended up with bloody Alan Irvine leading the line that season. Meanwhile, guys like Norrie McWhirter & Brian Martin failed to get a game in defence.

The huge debt that and other signings left us with out us in a catastrophic position after relegation.

Looking at the big picture, Roy Aitken was one one of our most disasterous signings. In a bracket with Archibald, Wishart, Stickroth, etc.

Edited by nosferatu

So let me get this straight. We lose our right back through injury and replace him in less tban a week with a proven Premier league right back. But some folk still have reservations? Fuxake.

the only reservations i have are not about Watson a a player, more about the fact that we are still dangerously undermanned

it would be nice if that was resolved over the next few days

Ok, Aitken maybe wasn't the best idea overall, but let's not categorise him along with the utter dud and waste of £300k that Wishart was! ;-)

Let's not forget that Wishart got injured playing for us and that injury basically stopped his career dead in it's tracks. To call him an utter dud is unfair.

Judging a player by how much he cost isn't particularly helpful. The manager and club can be judged on that, certainly, but the fact that a player cost £X in fee/wages shouldn't really be a barometer in terms of how much he contributed.

Unless, of course, he was/is a malingering, wage thieving bastard. Wishart, Stickroth, and Aitken don't fit into that category.

Edit:f**king phone!

Edited by Drew

Judging a player by how much he cost isn't particularly helpful. The manager and club can be judged on that, certainly, but the fact that a player cost £X in fee/wages shouldn't really be a barometer in terms of how much he contributed.

Unless, of course, he was/is a malingering, wage thieving bastard. Wishart, Stickroth, and Aitken don't fit into that category.

Edit:f**king phone!

I disagree.

Ignoring the cost of wages and transfer fee, yes Roy Aitken was a great player with us.

But, taking into account the wages and transfer fee, it stopped us from being able to sign a decent striker which was more important. Brian Martin & Norrie McWhirter would have been able to play in defence if we hadn't signed Aitken. That signing also put us into huge debt from which we never recovered.

The waste wasn't confined to Aitken that season though.

A fortune was wasted on David Elliot and he really did contribure little. Lex Baillie, Mark Reid & Chic Charnley were also complete wastes.

I wasn't even bringing transfer fees into the discussion. I queried if any of the 'types' of signings our club can make these days will ever please everyone. From kid loanees to older 'has been' pros, to long serving Aberdeen goalies.

If money comes into it, then John Baird and Gareth Wardlaw were all time greats. Wardlaw cost fcuk-all and scored that goal at Aberdeen, in doing so contributing more than Mo Camara, Stephane Bahoken, and Eric Bunnet Bunnet rolled into one. Bairdy was on a wage of about 50p a week, yet was the highest goals-to-minutes on the pitch player at the club.

Aitken came to us firmly in the perceived 'has been' bracket, but was a class act and a good player. What was paid for him and to him isn't Aitken's 'fault'. On the pitch he delivered in a struggling team. A hugely under-rated footballer.

I disagree.

Ignoring the cost of wages and transfer fee, yes Roy Aitken was a great player with us.

But, taking into account the wages and transfer fee, it stopped us from being able to sign a decent striker which was more important. Brian Martin & Norrie McWhirter would have been able to play in defence if we hadn't signed Aitken. That signing also put us into huge debt from which we never recovered.

The waste wasn't confined to Aitken that season though.

A fortune was wasted on David Elliot and he really did contribure little. Lex Baillie, Mark Reid & Chic Charnley were also complete wastes.

Difficult to follow your logic, suspect you are just at the wind up as usual. Surely it was signing Baillie, Reid, Charnley, Elliot, Wishart and Irvine that stopped us having a decent striker (or two) rather than bringing in Aitken, one of the few that actually played well that season. I doubt the choice was ever "a striker or Aitken"

• 4 months later...