So Farewell Then... Ian Murray

For what it worth and no doubt one or two nameless people will berate me for my own thoughts as bad as we are right now. I don't hold the manager culpapable for this he clearly came out in a well read article admitting he underestimated the size of the job. I hold the bod and only the board for this. They have being trying to sell the club for God knows how many years now. Penny pinching at every single given turn. We had wee gus who done a scent job irrespective of you loved or loathed him and when his time came to an end what did the bod do bring in a young manager by the name of Daniel Lennon who again whether you loved or loathed him took us to two cup national cup finals and our highest pl finish. Again when it considered time to end his tenure what do we do give it to a guy that had always been classed as an assistant and not a manager and with the record to prove that. For me in my opinion if you sack the manager the asst had to go they are a team and work as one. And again eventually when they believe it's not working out and the ship is sinking they bring in gt and again can not be held accountable as ship had all but sunk but again untried in tested CHEAP option by those at the top counting their pennies. So in only my opinion that's were accountability lies

For what it worth and no doubt one or two nameless people will berate me for my own thoughts as bad as we are right now. I don't hold the manager culpapable for this he clearly came out in a well read article admitting he underestimated the size of the job. I hold the bod and only the board for this. They have being trying to sell the club for God knows how many years now. Penny pinching at every single given turn. We had wee gus who done a scent job irrespective of you loved or loathed him and when his time came to an end what did the bod do bring in a young manager by the name of Daniel Lennon who again whether you loved or loathed him took us to two cup national cup finals and our highest pl finish. Again when it considered time to end his tenure what do we do give it to a guy that had always been classed as an assistant and not a manager and with the record to prove that. For me in my opinion if you sack the manager the asst had to go they are a team and work as one. And again eventually when they believe it's not working out and the ship is sinking they bring in gt and again can not be held accountable as ship had all but sunk but again untried in tested CHEAP option by those at the top counting their pennies. So in only my opinion that's were accountability lies

I liked wee Gus.

I also agree the BOD have more than thier fair share to answer for.

However as you quoted early in your post; the size of the job was underestimated and in saying that kinda means that its above his capability (just now).

The BOD have made mistakes and SG has publicly admitted them.

Not renewing DL's contract was a 51% to 49% correct decision IMHO. Not much in the decision but Danny's main flaw was the signing of too many poor players and not breaking through to top 6 when other diddy clubs were doing it.

TC was a disaster of an appointment as SG has admitted.

GT was a decent shout imho and I thought he did a lot of things right but circumstances conspired against him. If the Well game had been a 1-0 defeat instead of the mauling live on TV then GT may have still been with us.

IM has been a very poor appointment and cannot be blameless for his part. Terrible signings; lack of a coherent strategy; poor choice of assistant; freezing out our best player; repeating mistakes and all with a higher budget than most teams in the League. Many fans wanted IM so it is difficult to blame the BOD for a decision many fans would have made.

The BOD have got things wrong but mainly the managers got things wrong as far as the playing side is concerned.

Edited by Sonny

Not renewing DL's contract was a 51% to 49% correct decision IMHO. Not much in the decision but Danny's main flaw was the signing of too many poor players and not breaking through to top 6 when other diddy clubs were doing it.

GT was a decent shout imho and I thought he did a lot of things right but circumstances conspired against him. If the Well game had been a 1-0 defeat instead of the mauling live on TV then GT may have still been with us.

IM has been a very poor appointment and cannot be blameless for his part. Terrible signings; lack of a coherent strategy; poor choice of assistant; freezing out our best player; repeating mistakes and all with a higher budget than most teams in the League. Many fans wanted IM so it is difficult to blame the BOD for a decision many fans would have made.

The BOD have got things wrong but mainly the managers got things wrong as far as the playing side is concerned.

I didnae want him!

Has he no gone yet?

I'm not sure the penny pinching is entirely true. By the time Danny left he had already drawn down on the next season's playing budget and that left Tommy Craig and then Gary Teale with very little to work with. The amount Danny threw away on the likes of Imrie, Grainger and others, even Mooy commanded a fee of around 50K, was just impossible for us to sustain. Craig was a disaster, but had Wylde just knocked the ball inside even once against Motherwell on the opening day then it could have been different as we absolutely bombarded them that day. Lord Goodwin could have tried missing a few less games also. Everyone around our level of budget is much the same, we just won't get a manager from a decent level to come to us and there's as much chance of Calderwood working without money as there was of Murray working at all.

I'll say again that not one person could have imagined Murray's tenure to date would have been as bad as it's been. He also has had, in my opinion, a decent budget to work with for Championship level. We've got old firm kids, a lad with a fair amount of experience at Motherwell, two with International experience, very decent attacking midfielder who should have pushed on and even the Burnley lads had the potential to have developed by being around better players down there. That said, if Conlan wasn't with us then he'd no doubt be playing for Gateshead or Telford.

Edited by TsuMirren

This is the only bit I disagree with - IMHO if we had renewed Danny's contract we would still be a premiership club, Remember the joys of fretting that we weren't good enough to be in Scotland's top 6 teams. 2 eighth place finishes and a national trophy yet we were right to get shot of him - maybe, as fans, we got what we deserved then.

This is the only bit I disagree with - IMHO if we had renewed Danny's contract we would still be a premiership club, Remember the joys of fretting that we weren't good enough to be in Scotland's top 6 teams. 2 eighth place finishes and a national trophy yet we were right to get shot of him - maybe, as fans, we got what we deserved then.

Danny's time had come and gone and we needed new blood. This was done but has, so far, failed. Every appointment is a gamble particularly if you have limited resources. Our gamble has failed. There were other issues around Danny not getting a new contract which I won't go into but he has gone so let's move on.

Danny's time had come and gone and we needed new blood. This was done but has, so far, failed. Every appointment is a gamble particularly if you have limited resources. Our gamble has failed. There were other issues around Danny not getting a new contract which I won't go into but he has gone so let's move on.

Why had Danny's time come and gone ? - his last contribution was an eighth place finish

Why did we need New blood ? - see above

I agree that every appointment is a gamble but the odds on every gamble are different and TC, GT, and IM would all have had pretty high odds before their appointment.

Finally, I don't know you, and I don't mean to offend you but If you are trying to insinuate that there was some off field issue that meant he had to leave, then you should back it up or not mention it at all.

It is all about opinions. I really liked Danny as a person and as a manager I felt he done pretty well for us. I would not have complained too much had we kept him but if I had a casting vote it would probably have been for someone new after 4 years to quote 'reach the next level'. It was a gamble that failed spectacularly.

Would I take take Danny now ahead of IM then the answer would be yes.

Why had Danny's time come and gone ? - his last contribution was an eighth place finish

Why did we need New blood ? - see above

I agree that every appointment is a gamble but the odds on every gamble are different and TC, GT, and IM would all have had pretty high odds before their appointment.

Finally, I don't know you, and I don't mean to offend you but If you are trying to insinuate that there was some off field issue that meant he had to leave, then you should back it up or not mention it at all.

There were other issues but for obvious reasons I am not going to post them on an open forum. No offence taken my friend and sometimes there is more behind certain decisions we never know if hear about. As for Danny, the football we endured was poor at times while he wasted a lot of money on rank signings over several seasons. Who knows whether we would still be in the top league or not but the slide began while Danny was in charge.

There were other issues but for obvious reasons I am not going to post them on an open forum. No offence taken my friend and sometimes there is more behind certain decisions we never know if hear about. As for Danny, the football we endured was poor at times while he wasted a lot of money on rank signings over several seasons. Who knows whether we would still be in the top league or not but the slide began while Danny was in charge.

I have to agree with Ned. There has been plenty said about DL in the past and how badly he was treated by both the Club and the supporters.

Many said that he had not kicked on and in fact his tactics had become so predictable that teams could read us long before they ever ran onto the pitch with Saints. I can see that argument.

Saints don't have a history of keeping managers for long periods. They either fail and get shunted, or they move on to pastures new and up the tree a bit.

Despite what is currently happening at present on the park, I would like to see IM get more time! I've been here before with Saints in a transitional period.................... it's the nature of the beast I'm afraid!

Not having this blame the club stuff.

We have one of the best training facilities in Scotland, we have one of the best youth academies in Scotland. We are debt free and own our own stadium which has one of the best surfaces in Scotland.

Murray had 3 transfer targets which he very publicly chased all summer. Brian Caldwell got all 3 deals over the line. Yet the club is a shambles? Just what more could we - as a club - have done for Murray?

The manager had everything he needed and everything he could realistically expect at this level to put together a winning team. A team to at least be in the top half of the league. He's failed to do it.

It's all his fault and barring a huge turnaround in the next 3 games he should be sacked after the QOTS game.

"Poor at times" sounds like heaven right now. and though some of his signings were rank we've since had Marwood, Ball, Gow, etc etc. in just a season and a bit. and lastly the slide began under Danny - we slid all the way to eighth but for obvious reasons that I'm not going to post about on an open forum Tommy Craig was definitely the man for the job. Like I said maybe we got what we deserved.