Bubbles Gone But Not Forgotten

I was talking to a friend through the week who was telling me that tomorrow the 5th March 2016 will be the 10th anniversary of the death of Brian 'Bubbles' Hetherston after dieing in his sleep of a suspected epileptic fit at the tender age of 29. ( I have read some places that the anniversary is today)

Bubbles came onto the scene at St Mirren when I found myself attending most of the reserve home games and enjoying watching him strut his stuff. He was head and shoulders above the rest of the players on the park most games and everytime he got the ball you felt he could do something special.

Just thought I would mark the occasion of his sad passing by starting a thread. Weirdly we play Raith tomorrow on the anniversary of his death and they were the club he finished his career with.

A fantastic young footballer on his day and I will always remember him fondly from nutmegging Chris Waddle to scoring a peach against Morton at St Mirren Park.

RIP Bubbles

What a great thread, Mr Zo.

Bubbles linking up with Martin Baker on the left was one of the few highlights of the 90s. A great player and entertainer, and someone I still remember fondly.

I think he was in the Raith team that we beat 3-0 at Love St to clinch the title in 2000? It's a shame that his illness affected his career, and so tragically cut short his life.

RIP Brian.

Well done Mr Zoo for this thread in memory of Bubbles who had immense talent. I will always remember seeing him play for Raith against us in that league winning decider at love street. Like many other buddies at the time I wished that he had still been with us at the time, and been part of that glorious title winning team.

Terrible when anyone dies at such a young age.

Wonderful player!

I'm sure I remember him scoring at Crappielow - an astonishing left foot, right foot keepie-up kinda volley? I think we won 3 nil but I'm not sure.

Can anyone confirm?

Could it be this one Bud?

http://www.stmirrenprogrammes.co.uk/StMirren/STM_Match_Details.php?Season=1996&GameID=2774

Edited by HSS

Good thread David.

Played in the period when i went to Love Street the most during my lifetime supporting the Saints. He was an exciting, edge of the seat player.

Would have been great if he'd still being there in the Championship winning Tom Hendrie team. Kind of player that would probably have made the difference between staying up and being relegated from the Premier League the following season.

4 cracking goals i remember with Bubbles the best of the lot

Norrie McWhirter tugging Paddy Flannery jersey only to Flannery trying to knock his head off

Jim Dick barring his arse to the Unwashed after scoring

Quite a decent day

It would be nice if this was acknowledged by both clubs at tomorrow's game. As he started his career at St Mirren and finished at Raith with a brief spell at Sligo Rovers in the middle.

I remember he scored in a 2-1 win at home to Morton and ran over to the north bank, didn't know what to and just ruffled the hair of one of the young ball boys (this sounds a bit jim'll fix it).

A daft lad who just loved playing football with an enthusiasm and unpredictability that you don't often see in young players these days.

Oddly Off the ball were talking about anniversaries last weekend and were looking for people to get in touch if they had any. Sadly I couldn't get in touch.

It would be nice if anyone is on twitter and could contact off the ball about this as they would surely read it out. :-)

I'm sure it was a back-heel nutmeg on Chris Waddell but that might be my memory embellishing it.

Brilliant goal at Cappielow and I remember him at Cliftonhill getting a yellow card because a Hamilton player was injured off the pitch, rolled back on to get play stopped and Brian tried to "help" him back off so the game could re-start.