Jump to content

Alex Rae: sacked!


ulysses
 Share

Recommended Posts

11 minutes ago, pod said:

I think they do that pretty much under their own steam.

Perhaps, but I think it's deeper than that. 

Some clubs seem to have reasonable success no matter who they appoint as manager. I'm thinking particularly of Inverness CT where either their board is just incredibly good at identifying people who can do a consistently good job - who BTW also tend to flop badly elsewhere -  or who have a structure in place that supports their managers whilst keeping a fairly tight reign on the purse strings. At St Mirren I think there has often been a tendency to self harm, even when by - it appears - absolutely luck the club have happened to hire a good manager. Sacking Ferguson, Smith and Clunie being amongst the classic examples. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites


Am I seeing things or are some of the same people who are saying we need experience are also touting Fullarton?

He's had one managerial job in his life and he lasted 2 months before being punted. He's the absolute definition of a gamble. We can't afford to be gambling, we are bottom of the league.

If we make the wrong appointment here we will be relegated to the third tier for the first time in our history. It's absolutely crucial we don't mess this up.

We need a safe pair of hands. We need a manager with experience of relegation battles. We need a manager who knows Scottish football inside out. We need a manager who's proven he can lift a club like us up from the bottom of the second tier to become an established top flight side in 2 full seasons in charge.

We need Gus MacPherson.





Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, TopCat said:

Am I seeing things or are some of the same people who are saying we need experience are also touting Fullarton?

He's had one managerial job in his life and he lasted 2 months before being punted. He's the absolute definition of a gamble. We can't afford to be gambling, we are bottom of the league.

If we make the wrong appointment here we will be relegated to the third tier for the first time in our history. It's absolutely crucial we don't mess this up.

We need a safe pair of hands. We need a manager with experience of relegation battles. We need a manager who knows Scottish football inside out. We need a manager who's proven he can lift a club like us up from the bottom of the second tier to become an established top flight side in 2 full seasons in charge.

We need Gus MacPherson.




 

You were doing well up until the Gus part .

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Where does this leave CEO and board member Tony Fitzpatrick who backed the manager and asked fans to rally round the manager and team less than 1 week ago? : http://www.heraldscotland.com/sport/football/14741287.Tony_Fitzpatrick_in_plea_for_unity_as_he_backs_Alex_Rae_to_turn_St_Mirren_around/?

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Dibbles old paperboy said:

Where does this leave CEO and board member Tony Fitzpatrick who backed the manager and asked fans to rally round the manager and team less than 1 week ago? : http://www.heraldscotland.com/sport/football/14741287.Tony_Fitzpatrick_in_plea_for_unity_as_he_backs_Alex_Rae_to_turn_St_Mirren_around/?

 

That was just Tony being Tony.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Dibbles old paperboy said:

Where does this leave CEO and board member Tony Fitzpatrick who backed the manager and asked fans to rally round the manager and team less than 1 week ago? : http://www.heraldscotland.com/sport/football/14741287.Tony_Fitzpatrick_in_plea_for_unity_as_he_backs_Alex_Rae_to_turn_St_Mirren_around/?

 

So the CEO supports the incumbent manager.  Really ? what would you like our CEO to do ?? 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I wouldn't mind Yogi for what it's worth. He will at least be entertaining and you can't argue with the job he done at Falkirk and Inverness.

Doubt he would be interested though. He left ICT cause they weren't matching his ambition or some nonsense and he was on the radio the other week saying he wanted his next job to be in the English Championship (lol).

Asssuming he isn't interested, it's got to be Gus.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Callum Gilhooley said:

So the CEO supports the incumbent manager.  Really ? what would you like our CEO to do ?? 

 

“We’ve got to be in it together,” Fitzpatrick said. “This will pass.

Alex Rae is a brilliant manager and David Farrell is a great assistant. These guys know the game and I don’t care who you are, everyone goes through a wee spell where things don’t go for you.

“I know the frustrations of the fans, and we all feel frustrated at the start we’ve had, no more so than Alex, Faz and the players.

 

“No disrespect to anyone who was here last year though, but Alex and Faz came in and you saw the job they done, because we were really sleepwalking into League One at the time.

“There was a real lack of confidence and Alex came in and did a magnificent job. He had a tremendous win-rate.

This club needs stability, that’s the message I would put out.

From the manager to the directors, we’re all sure we will come through this wee rough patch. It’s a great challenge for us all and I look upon it as just that.

“This is when you see people standing up as leaders, and Alex is a real leader of men, so even with us being bottom of the league I’m still very, very positive, because I know that in a month it could all have changed.”

 

One game later, after a 1-1 draw and presumably TF was at a board meeting where it was decided to do the opposite of what TF was advocating in the media a few days earlier.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Dibbles old paperboy said:

“We’ve got to be in it together,” Fitzpatrick said. “This will pass.

Alex Rae is a brilliant manager and David Farrell is a great assistant. These guys know the game and I don’t care who you are, everyone goes through a wee spell where things don’t go for you.

“I know the frustrations of the fans, and we all feel frustrated at the start we’ve had, no more so than Alex, Faz and the players.

 

“No disrespect to anyone who was here last year though, but Alex and Faz came in and you saw the job they done, because we were really sleepwalking into League One at the time.

“There was a real lack of confidence and Alex came in and did a magnificent job. He had a tremendous win-rate.

This club needs stability, that’s the message I would put out.

From the manager to the directors, we’re all sure we will come through this wee rough patch. It’s a great challenge for us all and I look upon it as just that.

“This is when you see people standing up as leaders, and Alex is a real leader of men, so even with us being bottom of the league I’m still very, very positive, because I know this month it could all have changed.”

 

One game later, after a 1-1 draw and presumably TF was at a board meeting where it was decided to do the opposite of what TF was advocating in the media a few days earlier.

He was right about one thing. :rolleyes:

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I have no issue with bringing back Gus but let's widen the net and take a bit of time with this appointment. Danny Lennon is a definite no in my opinion. There is a clamour for Yogi and if he is interested then would be a good shout but I reckon he wouldn't want it. One thing for sure is its going to keep the forum interesting. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Herbie said:

Billy Davies? Currently without a club. Lives two minutes away from the training ground. Ex Saints player....Just throwing it out there......

Could probably hire out the 1877 club to him and his brother in law for a few Private functions

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Unless there is a swift appointment, there will be a different person linked every day as favourite and probably a different name in each paper too. The club have probably already had 50 emails from managers and agents proposing names many on here have never heard of or considered. Only GLS will know if he has already made a decision on who he wants and we now need to trust him to get it right.

Just waiting on an interview with Neil Warnock putting himself forward though. 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, paulsmfc said:

I was of the belief that my 12 quid a month allow me to affect major decision making at the club by providing me with a right to vote. It's quite a major decision to sack the manager without consultation of the stakeholders.

Currently your a member of an organisation that's got about 30 percent I think. Gordon Scott golds all the aces for about the next ten years.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Is that really the level of expectation some members of SMiSA have though? Do they really expect to get a vote on whether to sack an employee or not? Do they really expect the club to reveal it's reasons for dismissal to all 1,000+ members so they've got all the evidence required to make an informed decision? If so I think those members are going to become very disappointed very quickly when they realise that their sphere of influence in most cases will be that they will have elected supporters representatives onto the club board who will make decisions - more often than not - without any further consultation of the membership. 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, paulsmfc said:

I was of the belief that my 12 quid a month allow me to affect major decision making at the club by providing me with a right to vote. It's quite a major decision to sack the manager without consultation of the stakeholders.

Get real Paul. At best you will should get a vote to elect the board. They will make decisions. It would be one helluva drawn out process and a media circus, not to mention the cost, if 1000+ folk had to be consulted on every issue that they feel is major. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...