Jack Ross Must Go.

Definitely been an interesting read. The main points to defend Ross seem to be nothing to do with him, but the opinion that we can't keep sacking managers.

The rationale seems to be we can't sack Ross because we've had six managers in the last three years . Indeed Scott said it himself 'the merry go round of managers has to stop ' or similar. So Ross has an aura of invincibility around him, not because anything he has done, but because he is fortunate enough that the four previous holders of the position were all sacked less than nine months into the job.

This premise is rather bizarre, and puts us in an even worse position. Since Jack Ross has arrived results have went downhill rapidly. 8 points from 12 games is an absolutely disgraceful return for any team at any level, never mind for a club with our resources and fan base in the second tier.

Performances seem to be the one intangible factor some of his supporters cling to. Yet several performances under his tenure have been abjectly hopeless. This came to a head yesterday, when the most out of form team in the country came to Paisley and gubbed us 3 zip.

Im sure all would admit that the results aren't good enough and performances like yesterday aren't good enough... but apparently we should keep him anyway cause we can't keep sacking managers? How far does this go? How much failure do we tolerate from him due to his predecessors being hopeless?

If we stick by him - as I expect we will - we will likely be relegated before Easter. Not only we will almost certainly go down to the third tier for the first time in our 140 history, but we will go down without even putting up a fight.

As anyone who was there yesterday seen, the players aren't playing for the manager. Ross said it himself in his post match interview when he mentioned a lack of commitment.

He was right, but the question is, why is there a lack of commitment? You can forgive a lack of quality (and Christ knows we have that) but surely the very least we can expect a new manager to do is motivate the players available to fight for him and the club? As Ross admitted, he hasn't been able to do that.

Therefore we find ourselves not only heading to league 1, but nosediving to league 1. We are in nosedive with a rookie manager who has admitted he can't get the best out of the players at his disposal, but who is protected from talk of the sack due to the managers who came before him. It's truly a bizarre situation.

It's now just a question of how low Ross is allowed to take us before the BOD steps in and stops the slide. Only they know how low is too low, I have the fear thinking about it.

On the presumption JR wlll be staying, id rather he played the youngsters. Get Baird back in, there is a good player in their and he at least has a bit of passion about him. Get Naismith next to him in central defence or play a back three; webbie, clarkson etc can do one.

40 minutes ago, TopCat said:

Definitely been an interesting read. The main points to defend Ross seem to be nothing to do with him, but the opinion that we can't keep sacking managers.

The rationale seems to be we can't sack Ross because we've had six managers in the last three years . Indeed Scott said it himself 'the merry go round of managers has to stop ' or similar. So Ross has an aura of invincibility around him, not because anything he has done, but because he is fortunate enough that the four previous holders of the position were all sacked less than nine months into the job.

This premise is rather bizarre, and puts us in an even worse position. Since Jack Ross has arrived results have went downhill rapidly. 8 points from 12 games is an absolutely disgraceful return for any team at any level, never mind for a club with our resources and fan base in the second tier.

Performances seem to be the one intangible factor some of his supporters cling to. Yet several performances under his tenure have been abjectly hopeless. This came to a head yesterday, when the most out of form team in the country came to Paisley and gubbed us 3 zip.

Im sure all would admit that the results aren't good enough and performances like yesterday aren't good enough... but apparently we should keep him anyway cause we can't keep sacking managers? How far does this go? How much failure do we tolerate from him due to his predecessors being hopeless?

If we stick by him - as I expect we will - we will likely be relegated before Easter. Not only we will almost certainly go down to the third tier for the first time in our 140 history, but we will go down without even putting up a fight.

As anyone who was there yesterday seen, the players aren't playing for the manager. Ross said it himself in his post match interview when he mentioned a lack of commitment.

He was right, but the question is, why is there a lack of commitment? You can forgive a lack of quality (and Christ knows we have that) but surely the very least we can expect a new manager to do is motivate the players available to fight for him and the club? As Ross admitted, he hasn't been able to do that.

Therefore we find ourselves not only heading to league 1, but nosediving to league 1. We are in nosedive with a rookie manager who has admitted he can't get the best out of the players at his disposal, but who is protected from talk of the sack due to the managers who came before him. It's truly a bizarre situation.

It's now just a question of how low Ross is allowed to take us before the BOD steps in and stops the slide. Only they know how low is too low, I have the fear thinking about it.

This season:

Alex Rae :    6 games -   18 points possible 3 points attained

Jack Ross : 12 Games - 36 Points Possible 8 points attained

So , Stephen f**king Hawking...... please explain how that is results going downhill rapidly ?

Why do we stick with him? We stick with him because he's a good manager and in the long term he'll prove that. He inherited players who are used to losing and turning that round is not easy. He needs his own players and a pre season to do this and in the meanwhile i hope we can manage to stay up.

This season:

Alex Rae :    6 games -   18 points possible 3 points attained

Jack Ross : 12 Games - 36 Points Possible 8 points attained

So , Stephen f**king Hawking...... please explain how that is results going downhill rapidly ?

Quite simple really. Compare both managers points per game average and you'll see how they've went downhill rapidly.

If you want to pick each managers first six games in charge this season you'll see Rae got 3 points from his first 6 games and Ross got 0 points from his first 6.

Or if you're desperate to reach a conclusion that results haven't went down hill, you could compare apples with oranges and compare 12 of Ross's results against 6 of Raes like you've done.

25 minutes ago, TopCat said:

Quite simple really. Compare both managers points per game average and you'll see how they've went downhill rapidly.

If you want to pick each managers first six games in charge this season you'll see Rae got 3 points from his first 6 games and Ross got 0 points from his first 6.

Or if you're desperate to reach a conclusion that results haven't went down hill, you could compare apples with oranges and compare 12 of Ross's results against 6 of Raes like you've done.

You should work for the government with your ability to manipulate statistics like that. Well done.

21 minutes ago, TopCat said:

Ok , lets take this to its natural conclusion Einstein. 

Lets just say we DO take each managers first six games.

Then, using your phrase "GONE DOWNHILL RAPIDLY " following from the initial admittedly disappointing start,  the current manager progresses things to what in the following Six ?

I`ll let you do the answer but your not allowed to ask anyone for help !!

(PS , i`ll give you a clue ..... the answer is 8 points from a possible 18 )  which is progress.... NOT DOWNHILL RAPIDLY .

I can only assume you were repeatedly dropped on your head as a small child .

20 minutes ago, paul torfason said:

a like the bit he says"play like that against pars,and we will certainly get beat"cheers bud saved me a fortune and a wasted journey,piss poor manager

He was just stating the obvious, if we play like that we will get beat, I think he may be planning on us playing a lot better, in which case we might win.

Here to help, if you need anything else explained just let me know.

& to take things a wee bit further , as you seem intent on bringing last seasons results into this argument.
  How does Raes season 2016 -17 performance stack up against 2015-16 ?  Would you consider it an improved situation ? 

Having had the benefit of a transfer window, a full pre-season training and pre season warm up matches Alex Guardiola Rae managed to monumentally f**k us up !!

But he was better than Ross ?  :huh:You need to ease off on the f**kin Calpol !! -_-

Alex Rae = 0.50 points per game

Jack Ross = 0.67 points per game

If thats not an improvement this season then i dont know what is.

If it took Ross 12 games to get that average , by that reckoning it'll take him another 24 games at that rate to get us averaging 1 point a game.

That would see us relegated this season and 8 games completed before he could get us to surviving in league one on the 1 point a game basis giving us around 34-38 points next season in league one.

2 relegation seasons and a survive only in 3rd tier in 3rd season, that's quite a record for this 'up and coming' manager if that transpired.

Fact Check: St Mirren are bottom of the Championship - the Second Tier of Scottish Football - 22nd place.... And only that high because it's physically impossible for other teams to go above St Mirren. St Mirren have won 2 league matches all season - just 2. St Mirren have one of top four highest wage budgets in the Championship. Despite an annual turnover in excess of £2m and the wage budget being below the PCW maximum recommended figure the St Mirren board had to ask a Community Benefit Society for a £15k interest free loan to fix an Undersoil Heating system that hasn't been needed all winter long and which really ought never to be used. The also had to ask the Community Benefit Society for a £9k gift, a possible breach of the asset lock, which the Community Benefit Society sold to their members as being vital to give St Mirren the best possible chance of avoiding relegation. This appears to have been blown signing a self confessed sex pest who Aberdeen fans say has become bored with football, who was massively culpable in the 9-1 trouncing Aberdeen U21s took from a Motherwell squad with an average age of 17 and who appears to have chosen not to play for his new club at the weekend so he can enjoy a holiday.

And in the meantime the new board has managed to lose a £100k+ pa kit and sponsorship deal and it seems has put a stop to the selling of scratch cards at the stadium, an enterprise that was said to to have brought in £30k last season. And in the meantime promises to customers about free tickets for beating the Chairman in a road race and promises of an event for fans displaced at the end of last season for the "Rangers" match continue to be broken.

Yet some will still tell us all is well at the club, that Jack Ross is a superb manager, that Gordon Scott and Tony Fitzpatrick are doing a great job, that SMISA are beyond criticism and that everything is the fault of the last board who apparently left such a tangled mess no-one has been able to do anything for 6 months. Recruiting new fans is on hold. Whilst others celebrate the news that some season tickets won't be getting renewed. And the single hope of some positive business news that the club seems to be clinging on to is that Hibs might weaken their promotion challenge by selling John McGinn so St Mirren can cash in on their small proportion of the transfer fee. 

Club in crisis - I'd f**king say so as would any sober level headed individual

Edited by Stuart Dickson

10 minutes ago, Stuart Dickson said:

Fact Check: St Mirren are bottom of the Championship - the Second Tier of Scottish Football - 22nd place.... And only that high because it's physically impossible for other teams to go above St Mirren. St Mirren have won 2 league matches all season - just 2. St Mirren have one of top four highest wage budgets in the Championship. Despite an annual turnover in excess of £2m and the wage budget being below the PCW maximum recommended figure the St Mirren board had to ask a Community Benefit Society for a £15k interest free loan to fix an Undersoil Heating system that hasn't been needed all winter long and which really ought never to be used. The also had to ask the Community Benefit Society for a £9k gift, a possible breach of the asset lock, which the Community Benefit Society sold to their members as being vital to give St Mirren the best possible chance of avoiding relegation. This appears to have been blown signing a self confessed set pest who Aberdeen fans say has become bored with football, who was massively culpable in the 9-1 trouncing Aberdeen U21s took from a Motherwell squad with an average age of 17 and who appears to have chosen not to play for his new club at the weekend so he can enjoy a holiday.

And in the meantime the new board has managed to lose a £100k+ pa kit and sponsorship deal and it seems has put a stop to the selling of scratch cards at the stadium, an enterprise that appears to have brought in £30k last season. And in the meantime promises to customers about free tickets for beating the Chairman in a road race and promises of an event for fans displaced at the end of last season for the "Rangers" match continue to be broken.

Yet some will still tell us all is well at the club, that Jack Ross is a superb manager, that Gordon Scott and Tony Fitzpatrick are doing a great job, that SMISA are beyond criticism and that everything is the fault of the last board who apparently left such a tangled mess no-one has been able to do anything for 6 months. Looking for new fans is on hold. Whilst others celebrate the news that some season tickets won't be getting renewed. And the single hope that the club seems to be clinging on to is that Hibs might weaken their promotion challenge by selling John McGinn so St Mirren can cash in on their small proportion of the transfer fee.

Club in crisis - I'd f**king say so as would any sober level headed individual

Most sober level headed individuals wouldn't call someone a set pest though.

Great rant by the way.

Ok , lets take this to its natural conclusion Einstein. 

Lets just say we DO take each managers first six games.

Then, using your phrase "GONE DOWNHILL RAPIDLY " following from the initial admittedly disappointing start,  the current manager progresses things to what in the following Six ?

I`ll let you do the answer but your not allowed to ask anyone for help !!

(PS , i`ll give you a clue ..... the answer is 8 points from a possible 18 )  which is progress.... NOT DOWNHILL RAPIDLY .

I can only assume you were repeatedly dropped on your head as a small child .

Em, what?

8 points from 6 games isn't any good either...?

Is your point that things have got better since Ross came in?

Also I'm quite enjoying these insights to my medical history you keep giving me. Too much calpol and repeatedly dropped on my head as a child :lol:

7 hours ago, TopCat said:

Em, what?

8 points from 6 games isn't any good either...?

Is your point that things have got better since Ross came in?

Also I'm quite enjoying these insights to my medical history you keep giving me. Too much calpol and repeatedly dropped on my head as a child :lol:

The bit in Bold : Where have i ever stated it was good ? It isnt good , we are in a perilous state . However you & your somewhat irrational hatred of Jack Ross stated this in your initial post . quote : Since Jack Ross has arrived results have went downhill rapidly.

This simply is not true. As i have pointed out , points wise things have improved. As Cockles pointed out using your points per game average things have got better. However our league position has worsened because others have improved more than us thus leaving us rooted.

In my opinion, the performances in general have improved, albeit Saturday was an absolute mess. The FACTS show our points haul IS better.

As to my references to your medical history ? I am trying to give you the benefit of the doubt here by suggesting there may be some historical or underlying issues causing your stubborn dim-wittedness rather than just being yet another agenda driven, dickson-esque shit stirrer .

13 minutes ago, Callum Gilhooley said:

The bit in Bold : Where have i ever stated it was good ? It isnt good , we are in a perilous state . However you & your somewhat irrational hatred of Jack Ross stated this in your initial post . quote : Since Jack Ross has arrived results have went downhill rapidly.

This simply is not true. As i have pointed out , points wise things have improved. As Cockles pointed out using your points per game average things have got better. However our league position has worsened because others have improved more than us thus leaving us rooted.

In my opinion, the performances in general have improved, albeit Saturday was an absolute mess. The FACTS show our points haul IS better.

As to my references to your medical history ? I am trying to give you the benefit of the doubt here by suggesting there may be some historical or underlying issues causing your stubborn dim-wittedness rather than just being yet another agenda driven, dickson-esque shit stirrer .

Dont get TopCats constant sniping at Ross i get criticism however this has been from day one of his appointment.  Maybe jack did not sign his autograph when he was here as a player. Fact is he knows we cant afford to keep sacking managers. Plus Ross needs time to make his mark. TopCat knows all this  but still beats the same drum.  Zzzz ! 

First 6 games = 0 points = 0.00 points per game
Next 6 games = 8 points = 1.33 points per game
Next 6 games = 16 points = 2.66........
ffs at this rate we'll be in the champions league by 2019 [emoji2]

Ha that would be magic :)

Sadly though, at the current rate , it'll be another 24 games before we can average just over 1 point.

I like your stats though :P

Everyone is entitled to their opinion and needs to make their own decision on how they feel things are going.

I can't judge Jack Ross until he's at least had chance to bring some of his own players into the team.

He started off with the same men that had failed Alex Rae, and quickly realised that many of those players simply weren't up to the job. We had all seen Kyle Hutton struggling badly yet Alex Rae played him every week (in his defence because Quinn was injured). Jack took him out of both the team and the club and got him off to Airdrie where he will hopefully stay.

Without any other option he brought in Magennis and McAllister, and the initial buzz those two boys brought to the team got us some results, albeit not spectacular.

The young lads were only ever going to take us so far. Hopefully Jack can move Hutton on, and get some sort of compo for Naismith and move him on to County early. With Walsh and Hardie gone then we should be able then to bring in 2 or 3 more on top of Storie and pray the new faces give us some fresh impetus.

I've been impressed with Jack Ross until the last couple of games. I felt he didn't handle the Morton game well at all, and I was alarmed at how flat we were on Saturday but for me he has to be given time.

I'd keep him on even if we get relegated.

For people comparing Rae's record in the league this season with Ross's and trying to make the point that Ross's 0.17% better points tally is an improvement over Rae, it is still nowhere near good enough and has been achieved while having less injuries to contend with. Quinn was out injured for all of Rae's 6 games, MacKenzie was injured for the first month, Gordon too, Morgan missed a few games as did Calum Gallagher and Kyle McAllister was out injured for all of Rae's time this season.

Most people agree having Quinn 'fit' and available for 60 minutes per game seems to make a difference to performances and results and would also no doubt say MacKenzie has probably been possibly our best defender this season and Morgan and McAllister have been our best young players. It should hardly be a huge surprise Jack's results have the edge over Alex's given what they have to work with on match days.  Ross has had Ben Gordon's longer term injury to deal with and trying to nurse Quinn through the season but has had more or less a full squad to choose from.

31 minutes ago, Dibbles old paperboy said:

For people comparing Rae's record in the league this season with Ross's and trying to make the point that Ross's 0.17% better points tally is an improvement over Rae, it is still nowhere near good enough and has been achieved while having less injuries to contend with. Quinn was out injured for all of Rae's 6 games, MacKenzie was injured for the first month, Gordon too, Morgan missed a few games as did Calum Gallagher and Kyle McAllister was out injured for all of Rae's time this season.

Most people agree having Quinn 'fit' and available for 60 minutes per game seems to make a difference to performances and results and would also no doubt say MacKenzie has probably been possibly our best defender this season and Morgan and McAllister have been our best young players. It should hardly be a huge surprise Jack's results have the edge over Alex's given what they have to work with on match days.  Ross has had Ben Gordon's longer term injury to deal with and trying to nurse Quinn through the season but has had more or less a full squad to choose from.

Dont see the point of my 1kg of sugar waight is heavier than your 1kg of sugar in this instance.  The sooner fans realise there will be no sacking of the manager the better . Not because I think he is the right man our finances dictate it. Being critical is one thing, calling for something that is not going to happen is crazy. 

3 minutes ago, nedflanders123 said:

Sacking another manager after such a short time will send out a message that unless you improve the team with basically the same squad of players then you have 3-4 months in the job.  Not happy where we are but we must give JR time to get his own team in place. We have to stick with him.

Good to see you back . 

Okay points per game average under Rae was 1.26. Points per game average under Ross is 0.67. A drop of almost 50%, downhill rapidly indeed.

What's even more concerning is that Jack has had a remarkably kind fixture list in his first twelve matches. He's already had the four teams immediately above us at home.

Dumbarton, Dunfermline, Ayr and Queen of the South have all came to Paisley. His return from these four vital home 'six pointers'? One draw and three defeats. And the draw only came after Ayr got a dodgy red card and we managed to snatch an equaliser.

That's an almost unbelievably poor return. Not even the most gloomy fan could have dreamt up us only getting one point from those four games.

One thing I found interesting from the post match fall out after we managed to throw away two points at home to ten man Morton last week was the reports from fans sitting in the main stand. They said that Jack was repeatedly telling the team to push up, but was being ignored.

How concerning is that? We have a manager who - by his own admission - can't motivate the players to play to their full potential for him. Not only this, but according to fans the players ignore his in game instructions from the sideline.

There's quite clearly some leadership/respect issues going on there. It's little wonder we are where we are.

Those issues become more apparent when you contrast his initial impact this season with Raes last season. Quick caveat, I'm no Rae fan and thought his sacking was the right call at the time. However, when he came in last December there was a clear upturn in the clubs fortunes with largely the same group of players he inherited.

The football didn't improve, we were brutal to watch before and after he arrived. However, he managed to get the players playing for him. He organised and motivated them and as a result we stayed up comfortably.

There's clearly going to be no mass clear out or mass arrivals in this window. Jack simply had to do what Rae did and get the players he inherited playing for him, and he simply hasn't.

What Ross does have going for him is the fact that we have went through so many managers recently. Therefore he's getting a level of patience that wasn't shown to Craig, Teale, Murray and even Rae to an extent. Lucky man!