John McGinn

Aye, as anticipated, Hibs will have to back down and they will accept £2.5M.

Whilst they would benefit from having a content and settled John McGinn on their books if they held out, they cannot afford to hang onto a disgruntled player for the sake of trying to wring a bit more out of Celtic.

I seem to recall John adopting a not disimilar position with Saints. He made it clear that he wanted to move on, so we had little option other than to facilitate his move to Hibs.

The flip side of all of that, of course, is that the Record could be spouting shite.

Definitely be no bidding war after that. We can only hope Celtic come back with a slightly less miserable offer before deadline day which is accepted. Else we're on to plums. I would imagine Hibs will accept a bid a fraction higher than the last one near the end of August. You can argue the price to Hibs of a focussed McGinn for a season, but in reality they know he wants to go, and he will go, which will either be sealed in this window, which I think likely, else they have a guy committed to Celtic for 6 months and tied to a PCA to go to Celtic for the next 6 months whilst getting zero money for him. So I do expect this to be concluded with a less than spectacular transfer fee by the end of next month.

It would also seem Drew posted something remarkably similar whilst I posted mine!

Edited by scam75

3 minutes ago, Drew said:

Whilst they would benefit from having a content and settled John McGinn on their books if they held out, they cannot afford to hang onto a disgruntled player for the sake of trying to wring a bit more out of Celtic.

I seem to recall John adopting a not disimilar position with Saints. He made it clear that he wanted to move on, so we had little option other than to facilitate his move to Hibs.

The flip side of all of that, of course, is that the Record could be spouting shite.

Celtic will want this done also, Hibs valuation is mad. This isn't England. 2.5m in Scottish terms is unheard of since the  days of Murray and McCann.

Lennon cant keep his mouth shut however I pretty sure he would not tell McGinn to forget his boyhood team.....

I tell you though- if McGinn is worth 2.5 m, then Scott Brown must be worth 10 m. Do we really believe McGinn is that good?

1 hour ago, DougJamie said:

I tell you though- if McGinn is worth 2.5 m, then Scott Brown must be worth 10 m. Do we really believe McGinn is that good?

McGinn is 23, and has plenty of time to develop into an even better player, so yes, I believe he is that good.

He is worth what any club is willing to pay for him - in this case, Celtic. Scott Brown is approaching the end of his career, so your comparative valuations are daft.

Edited by Drew

Just now, irvine_buddie said:

This may of already been mentioned, but I take it if McGinn stays at Hibs and signs a pre-contract in January then we get nothing?

That's my understanding. The key point is, though, Hibs would lose out on £2M+ and potentially have an unhappy player.

It won't happen. He'll be a Celtic player by the end of next week.

1 minute ago, Drew said:

That's my understanding. The key point is, though, Hibs would lose out on £2M+ and potentially have an unhappy player.

It won't happen. He'll be a Celtic player by the end of next week.

Let's hope so, question is how much of our £660K+ share will Stubbs be given to spend. 

Definitely be no bidding war after that. We can only hope Celtic come back with a slightly less miserable offer before deadline day which is accepted. Else we're on to plums. I would imagine Hibs will accept a bid a fraction higher than the last one near the end of August. You can argue the price to Hibs of a focussed McGinn for a season, but in reality they know he wants to go, and he will go, which will either be sealed in this window, which I think likely, else they have a guy committed to Celtic for 6 months and tied to a PCA to go to Celtic for the next 6 months whilst getting zero money for him. So I do expect this to be concluded with a less than spectacular transfer fee by the end of next month.
It would also seem Drew posted something remarkably similar whilst I posted mine!

Typical Celtic, want players on the cheap plus other Scottish teams best players. Fecking hate them with a passion.

Celtic will want this done also, Hibs valuation is mad. This isn't England. 2.5m in Scottish terms is unheard of since the  days of Murray and McCann.
Lennon cant keep his mouth shut however I pretty sure he would not tell McGinn to forget his boyhood team.....

Browns def not that good either

58 minutes ago, Drew said:

McGinn is 23, and has plenty of time to develop into an even better player, so yes, I believe he is that good.

He is worth what any club is willing to pay for him - in this case, Celtic. Scott Brown is approaching the end of his career, so you comparative valuations are daft.

IYHO . Brown says he has another 3/4 years Maybe I should have to Celtic he is worth 10 m, because the team plays far better with him in it. McGinn is mere potential.

Celtic are willing to pay 2.5m for him so that's his worth

Guest TPAFKATS
IYHO . Brown says he has another 3/4 years Maybe I should have to Celtic he is worth 10 m, because the team plays far better with him in it. McGinn is mere potential.
Brown is done in European terms.

58 minutes ago, TPAFKATS said:
3 hours ago, DougJamie said:

Brown is done in European terms.

See if Brown helps Tic get to Group Stages and we get a 600k windfall- I shall bring that back to haunt you :wink:

Guy is a fanny, but a total work engine

Guest TPAFKATS
See if Brown helps Tic get to Group Stages and we get a 600k windfall- I shall bring that back to haunt you :wink:

Guy is a fanny, but a total work engine
Celtic may well reach the group stage. Doesn't mean that brown hasn't been exposed as being past it when playing in CL and for Scotland over the past couple of years.

Celtic may well reach the group stage. Doesn't mean that brown hasn't been exposed as being past it when playing in CL and for Scotland over the past couple of years.

Most Celtic players have been “exposed” in the CL in the past couple of years.

There was a marked improvement in Scotland’s performances and results when Scott Brown came out of international retirement.

I never get the pleasure of the "600 grand windfall" since all your competitors get it too except one that gets several million, it's not a windfall it's a disadvantage, especially if its Alan Stubbs that decides who to spend it on

I never get the pleasure of the "600 grand windfall" since all your competitors get it too except one that gets several million, it's not a windfall it's a disadvantage, especially if its Alan Stubbs that decides who to spend it on

[emoji99][emoji99][emoji99]

He has history of digging his heals in and not really giving too hoots about teams that have played a big part in his development.
Fair play that single mindedness probably makes him the player he is.

If we had played our cards right we would have sold him the year before his contract ended (with add ons) as his final year and unceremoniousl exit left a bit of a sour taste.

Guest TPAFKATS

Most Celtic players have been “exposed” in the CL in the past couple of years.

There was a marked improvement in Scotland’s performances and results when Scott Brown came out of international retirement.

The poster was talking about brown and McGinn, so the other players are irrelevant.