Jump to content

Hendo

St Mirren v the West Lothian criminals

Recommended Posts

Now looking forward to this game. If results go our way midweek we could be one point from safety with a win here.

Good form from the Saints over the last two tough away games. Most teams, perhaps barring Celtic,  would take those points as good ones.

 

Edited by southsidebud

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This game has got to be the biggest of our season thus far. Can we turn the draws into wins , I really hope so. 

Just watched the highlights of Livi's game from the weekend,  and it's no great surprise that they scored from a long throw in. If we're to get anything from this game , we're going to have to try and be wise to their set pieces. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, munoz said:

This game has got to be the biggest of our season thus far. Can we turn the draws into wins , I really hope so. 

Just watched the highlights of Livi's game from the weekend,  and it's no great surprise that they scored from a long throw in. If we're to get anything from this game , we're going to have to try and be wise to their set pieces. 

Agree 100 per cent. They play a deceptively simple and effective game. As many goals scored as conceded I believe. Tight and we'll organised. A challenge to look forward to on Saturday.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The term “must win game” is used a lot in football. Clearly it’s not meant in a literal sense otherwise it would be reserved only for a game where anything other than victory would see the team relegated. In the context it’s used it’s more a combination of factors. Points difference, time left in the season and mindset of our team and the teams around us.

In that context, I think this is our first must win game. Assuming both Hamilton and Dundee lose on Wednesday, a win for us on Saturday will not only close the points difference, it will be a massive confidence boost (especially off the back of our last two results) and will be a crushing blow to the other two. On the flip side, lose and it will be a massive shot in the arm for our rivals as it’s a game where they’ll be thinking we’ve got a good chance of closing the gap and a significant psychological blow for us.

If we win on Saturday I will be very confident we can escape this. Lose and I’ll have very little hope. So for me, this is a must win game.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, TPAFKA Jersey 2 said:

The term “must win game” is used a lot in football. Clearly it’s not meant in a literal sense otherwise it would be reserved only for a game where anything other than victory would see the team relegated. In the context it’s used it’s more a combination of factors. Points difference, time left in the season and mindset of our team and the teams around us.

In that context, I think this is our first must win game. Assuming both Hamilton and Dundee lose on Wednesday, a win for us on Saturday will not only close the points difference, it will be a massive confidence boost (especially off the back of our last two results) and will be a crushing blow to the other two. On the flip side, lose and it will be a massive shot in the arm for our rivals as it’s a game where they’ll be thinking we’ve got a good chance of closing the gap and a significant psychological blow for us.

If we win on Saturday I will be very confident we can escape this. Lose and I’ll have very little hope. So for me, this is a must win game.

So what if we draw then? If as you assume the other 2 lose, a draw would put us only 1 win away from both rivals...

There are only 3 points at stake in this game like all the rest.

I do agree that if would be much more for us and shock the other 2 if we should win - so here's hoping...  :bounce2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Sweeper07 said:

So what if we draw then? If as you assume the other 2 lose, a draw would put us only 1 win away from both rivals...

There are only 3 points at stake in this game like all the rest.

I do agree that if would be much more for us and shock the other 2 if we should win - so here's hoping...  :bounce2

Yawn yawn yawn...boring!!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On Monday, February 25, 2019 at 9:59 PM, St.Ricky said:

Agree 100 per cent. They play a deceptively simple and effective game. As many goals scored as conceded I believe. Tight and we'll organised. A challenge to look forward to on Saturday.

Football is a simple game, often overcomplicated by people. B)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Sweeper07 said:

So what if we draw then? If as you assume the other 2 lose, a draw would put us only 1 win away from both rivals...

There are only 3 points at stake in this game like all the rest.

I do agree that if would be much more for us and shock the other 2 if we should win - so here's hoping...  :bounce2

Obviously a daw wouldn’t be a disaster from the pure maths points of view, but I think that ignores the rest of my post. A draw for me will create a mindset of “well if we cannae beat Livi at home (a game where we HAVE to be realistically targeting 3 points), then what chance to we really have of getting out of this mess.

Like I say, taking ALL factors other than the pure maths into consideration, I believe this is a must win game. Just my opinion.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, TPAFKA Jersey 2 said:

Assuming both Hamilton and Dundee lose on Wednesday, a win for us on Saturday will not only close the points difference, it will be a massive confidence boost (especially off the back of our last two results) and will be a crushing blow to the other two.  

If we win on Saturday I will be very confident we can escape this.

I always admire enduring positivity like the above, but...

You see, that’s precisely the Buddie problem.  A win (no matter how slim or marginal in any shape or form) somehow transforms Buddies into hyper-optimistic blind believers in St Mirren’s capacity to sweep ALL  further opposition aside.

it disnae work like that for us Buddies.  Our arses are being continually being bitten aff, whenever Saints nick a wee win. 

Of course, I hope Saints get a result on Saturday and that all kinds of keich drops on Accies and Dundee...

what may have happened to me down the dreich decades of being a Buddie is that I now know how to get a “pleasure” out of relegation battles.

there never is that singular magic result bringing a transformational moment to the season in which, with one leap, Saints are home free.

there is constant attrition and - happily - enough times when there’s light at the end of the tunnel.

And - as someone better than me once pointed out - THAT  slim hope is the carrot we’re aiming for.

Edited by antrin
Clrity

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, TPAFKA Jersey 2 said:

Obviously a daw wouldn’t be a disaster from the pure maths points of view, but I think that ignores the rest of my post. A draw for me will create a mindset of “well if we cannae beat Livi at home (a game where we HAVE to be realistically targeting 3 points), then what chance to we really have of getting out of this mess.  Like I say, taking ALL factors other than the pure maths into consideration, I believe this is a must win game. Just my opinion.

 

12 hours ago, TPAFKA Jersey 2 said:

The term “must win game” is used a lot in football. Clearly it’s not meant in a literal sense otherwise it would be reserved only for a game where anything other than victory would see the team relegated. In the context it’s used it’s more a combination of factors. Points difference, time left in the season and mindset of our team and the teams around us.

In that context, I think this is our first must win game. Assuming both Hamilton and Dundee lose on Wednesday, a win for us on Saturday will not only close the points difference, it will be a massive confidence boost (especially off the back of our last two results) and will be a crushing blow to the other two. On the flip side, lose and it will be a massive shot in the arm for our rivals as it’s a game where they’ll be thinking we’ve got a good chance of closing the gap and a significant psychological blow for us.

If we win on Saturday I will be very confident we can escape this. Lose and I’ll have very little hope. So for me, this is a must win game.

I get what you are saying but have to disagree - sorry.  Since Livi have already beaten us 2 v 0 and 3 v 1 this season. So surely a draw is a big improvement? And the mindset would not be as you suggest since it would be influenced by being 3 games in a row where we did not lose to teams that we previously have been well beaten by. Every point counts...

Given that our 2 rivals are likely to lose (as you believe) - with a draw we would then only be one win away from overtaking at least one of them. So I cannot believe that a draw would be the "crushing blow" that you suggest.

My real issue is with the constant claim that a game is a must win - it only truly is a must win if the consequences of losing it mean we have no hope. These are not cup ties but just a 3 point slot in a league programme and there are plenty of point to play for.

Given all this - I think we will manage AT LEAST a draw against Livi. this time but you can almost be sure that at some point we will lose and draw a game we did not expect to and so will our rivals. Bearing in mind we play them both twice - I fancy our chances!!

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, antrin said:

I always admire enduring positivity like the above, but...

You see, that’s precisely the Buddie problem.  A win (no matter how slim or marginal in any shape or form) somehow transforms Buddies into hyper-optimistic blind believers in St Mirren’s capacity to sweep ALL  further opposition aside.

it disnae work like that for us Buddies.  Our arses are being continually being bitten aff, whenever Saints nick a wee win. 

Of course, I hope Saints get a result on Saturday and that all kinds of keich drops on Accies and Dundee...

what may have happened to me down the dreich decades of being a Buddie is that I now know how to get a “pleasure” out of relegation battles.

there never is that singular magic result bringing a transformational moment to the season in which, with one leap, Saints are home free.

there is constant attrition and, happily enough times, when there’s light at the end of the tunnel.

And - as someone better than me once pointed out - THAT  slim hope is the carrot we’re aiming for.

Well think back to 2017 Ayr v Saints , we lose we are down................... you know the rest

But oh yes for sure its going to a painful horrid scarey journey, and that just getting thru Ferguslie :wink:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, DougJamie said:

Well think back to 2017 Ayr v Saints , we lose we are down................... you know the rest

But oh yes for sure its going to a painful horrid scarey journey, and that just getting thru Ferguslie :wink:

This game isn't as vital as the Ayr one, if we had lost that we'd be eleven points behind, lose this and we'll still likely only be four behind as long as Dundee and Accies both lose tonight.

But yes, three points would still be very welcome.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Hendo said:

This game isn't as vital as the Ayr one, if we had lost that we'd be eleven points behind, lose this and we'll still likely only be four behind as long as Dundee and Accies both lose tonight.

But yes, three points would still be very welcome.

This is just as vital mate, win this what a massive boost for us .................... possibly agree that the head to heads are just as , however we have a gap to bridge.... first.....

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/9/2019 at 9:27 PM, DumboBud said:

I hope not I’ve got the Twilight Sad gig and an appointment with several beers before it. 

But then I sit in the south stand so according to East Lothian Saint I’m not allowed to miss any games or it removes my right to complain about the treatment of the family stand customers. 

Enjoy your beers and your gig at the Barrowlands. It's sold out. If  I was you I'd get in Early in case someone from Glasgow steals your seat.

Edited by East Lothian Saint

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...