2 hours ago, TPAFKATS said:

Anyway, back on topic I heard a rumour Motherwell were interested in mullen.
Don't see why though as they seem to have plenty attacking options.

Talk that one of their will be sold this window

3 hours ago, Slartibartfast said:

Sorry, I don't understand what you're saying there, in relation to my post at least.

My take on what pod is trying to say is that in many industries only salaried staff get the perk of paid sick leave.

The majority of hourly paid will only receive SSP, around £80 a week? 

Many reasons for this, one being people ripping the pish out of it.

It's a difficult one, genuine illness/injury can cause hardship if people loose their normal salary/wages.

Other areas, NHS, Education, Council to name three, suffer badly from high levels of absence, costing millions every year.

It would be interesting if these areas stopped paying sick leave to see what the levels of absence would be, much reduced would be my bet.

Why do some posters, namely Top Cat and look at me, have such a problem with Stephen McGinn? He may be down the pecking order just now, but he's been a fantastic player for the club over two spells, and was the on pitch leader who helped us stay in the Championship and then win it the following season. Without him, I believe we would have been relegated to League 1, and who knows, we might still be there, or at best mid table in the championship.
We should be indebted to him, not constantly having a go.
He fcuked up his Tick Tock thread.

I think it is not simply about his ability or commitment. He has had injuries and under-performed probably due to these early on in the season. Then JG wants to build his team and play things differently - Stephen's big wage can be freed up and his style does not suit JG's plans.

Even if he stays this window, which is far from certain, he will be away at the end of the season for the above reasons.

Liked his contributions in many games and wish him no harm whatsoever . . .

My take on what pod is trying to say is that in many industries only salaried staff get the perk of paid sick leave.
It's a difficult one, genuine illness/injury can cause hardship if people loose their normal salary/wages.
Other areas, NHS, Education, Council to name three, suffer badly from high levels of absence, costing millions every year.
It would be interesting if these areas stopped paying sick leave to see what the levels of absence would be, much reduced would be my bet.
Maybe he should have said that, then.

A lot of my jobs have been hourly paid and I still got full pay when off sick. One was even a part time position in a one shop business who gave 3 months full pay when sick after you had worked there 6 months to qualify for it. I wasn't there long enough, mind you.

9 minutes ago, Slartibartfast said:

Maybe he should have said that, then. emoji38.png

A lot of my jobs have been hourly paid and I still got full pay when off sick. One was even a part time position in a one shop business who gave 3 months full pay when sick after you had worked there 6 months to qualify for it. I wasn't there long enough, mind you.

That was almost a cogent argument made by F Man

5 hours ago, faraway saint said:

Oh dear. Right wing interpretation. 

Did some work with a large factory in Holland. They intruced self cert, felt it was being abused, tightened up as in the manager had to have a phone conversation with the worker reporting sick. They were quite proud of it. It had cut the number of people taking short sickies. But.. I asked, have the number of people staying off longer post introduction of the phone call rule. How did you know that they asked. I later explained  in line with explaining why different departments had different experiences and results. 

9 minutes ago, St.Ricky said:
26 minutes ago, Slartibartfast said:

Maybe he should have said that, then. emoji38.png

That was almost a cogent argument made by F Man

Faraway Cogent? Na!. Cohesive? Na!. Consensual? Na, never. Conflicting? Yes. Confusing? yes. Contrary? Oh yes!  Constructive? yes on occasions. Conniving? No comment.  😎

Whats all this bollocks about not crediting S McGinn for his input in getting us promoted?
He weighed in, it was/is appreciated, end of.

Now he is in a position where he cant contribute, should we pay him to sit at home, or actively engage and give him the chance to pursue his career somewhere he is needed?

Which option is the most decent and respectful?

44 minutes ago, Lord Pityme said:

Whats all this bollocks about not crediting S McGinn for his input in getting us promoted?
He weighed in, it was/is appreciated, end of.

Now he is in a position where he cant contribute, should we pay him to sit at home, or actively engage and give him the chance to pursue his career somewhere he is needed?

Which option is the most decent and respectful?

I think it really depends on the circumstances which we don’t fully know.

1. if the stories about him being injured and having to have knee surgery are true, non issue. I also imagine few would grudge him staying and getting paid while he recuperates as well giving his brilliant service to the club over two spells.

2. If Goodwin doesn’t see him playing any part in the remainder of the campaign, I’m sure there will be conversations from both the club and the players agent about moves elsewhere. Wages, interest elsewhere and squad status will be standard issues that are involved in pretty much any move. Time will tell on how this plays out. Possibly some clubs will wait until closer to the end of the window to see who becomes available.

3. Does Goodwin see him as playing a part in the rest of the campaign or want to keep him as cover? Again it’ll be a non issue unless we get approached and the offer is reasonable enough to let him go (small fee and/or pay his full wage IMO). Running down the rest of his contract will be a natural outcome of this.

12 hours ago, bazil85 said:

I think it really depends on the circumstances which we don’t fully know.

1. if the stories about him being injured and having to have knee surgery are true, non issue. I also imagine few would grudge him staying and getting paid while he recuperates as well giving his brilliant service to the club over two spells.

2. If Goodwin doesn’t see him playing any part in the remainder of the campaign, I’m sure there will be conversations from both the club and the players agent about moves elsewhere. Wages, interest elsewhere and squad status will be standard issues that are involved in pretty much any move. Time will tell on how this plays out. Possibly some clubs will wait until closer to the end of the window to see who becomes available.

3. Does Goodwin see him as playing a part in the rest of the campaign or want to keep him as cover? Again it’ll be a non issue unless we get approached and the offer is reasonable enough to let him go (small fee and/or pay his full wage IMO). Running down the rest of his contract will be a natural outcome of this.

Shut up rimmer..boring us!

If Stephen McGinn is fit , the best and fairest option is to allow him to leave and negotiate a contract with another club  that best suits where  he wants to be in two years time . He has done well for St Mirren , and I wish him well . 

Edited by MenstrieSaint

9 hours ago, MenstrieSaint said:

If Stephen McGinn is fit , the best and fairest option is to allow him to leave and negotiate a contract with another club  that best suits where  he wants to be in two years time . He has done well for St Mirren , and I wish him well . 

If he was fit, he would be captaining the team. 

Given that he will be on one of the biggest salaries we have this season, if he's fit the club won't be stopping him from moving on.